Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Crater Lake is really awesome but they're not exactly driving right by it from Reno to Eureka.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Keyser S0ze posted:

Crater Lake is really awesome but they're not exactly driving right by it from Reno to Eureka.

Person I was replying to was already going through Klamath Falls and skipping Reno/Lake Tahoe altogether.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

CrazyLittle posted:

Well, wrestling the water rights back from the Fiji Water corp would be kinda nice.

Right but what I mean is, people in the salton sea area, people with water rights coming from the colorado or from the california aqueducts that start in northeastern california, etc. might reconsider voting to split up the state if they realized that would threaten their water rights. Or at the very least, possibly lead them to years and years of litigation while the new states work out whether they have any obligation to the water right contracts negotiated by California, or conversely whether they want to honor the rights of people outside of their own new state, and etc. etc.

Basically I'm saying it'd be a mess and the people promoting splitting up California have obviously not considered it much.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:

Trabisnikof posted:

As much as I too confuse these 2 threads, can we keep this one for helping people plan trips and talk about burritos and bicker about policy and poo poo in the other thread?
We could talk about it in the other thread, but it'd go back to Bay Area talk after four posts.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves
So I used AT&T before coming to Germany because for a few years they had exclusive rights to the iPhone. I still technically have an AT&T plan, but it's been on hold for three years and last time I put it on hold for a year-long deployment, they didn't reactivate it with my previous plan in place, they just started me on a new plan (which is how I lost my unlimited data plan :qq: ). This time it will have been almost 3 years, so I doubt very much they will do me any better, so I feel no obligation to return to them if there are other, better companies and plans out there.

In the Greater LA/North Orange County area, which company has the best cell phone coverage/plans? I'm looking at coverage areas, data rates and text messaging mostly (though I primarily use WhatsApp and Facebook messenger, so I don't need texting necessarily). I'm not married to iDevices (although I'm a little let down with how flimsy the Samsung Galaxy S4 is compared to my previous iPhones, and I'm willing to either continue using one of my current phones (I have an iPhone 4S and a Galaxy S4), or buy a phone separate from a contract.

(I'm asking here instead of researching the companies themselves because last time I did that, AT&T seemed to have the best over-all deal, and I somehow ended up living right in the middle of the one area in central Virginia where they had no coverage)

My Q-Face fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Jul 17, 2014

UnhealthyJoe
Aug 9, 2012

Trabisnikof posted:

As much as I too confuse these 2 threads, can we keep this one for helping people plan trips and talk about burritos and bicker about policy and poo poo in the other thread?

*proceeds to post about Oregon*

But seriously, how can you drive through Southern Oregon and not go here:

Because I didn't know it was there. Now I do.

I would have kept it to the other but its been there for over a week with 3 replies, one being my own. In a matter of hours I got way more good advice here than there.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

My Q-Face posted:

So I used AT&T before coming to Germany because for a few years they had exclusive rights to the iPhone. I still technically have an AT&T plan, but it's been on hold for three years and last time I put it on hold for a year-long deployment, they didn't reactivate it with my previous plan in place, they just started me on a new plan (which is how I lost my unlimited data plan :qq: ). This time it will have been almost 3 years, so I doubt very much they will do me any better, so I feel no obligation to return to them if there are other, better companies and plans out there.

In the Greater LA/North Orange County area, which company has the best cell phone coverage/plans? I'm looking at coverage areas, data rates and text messaging mostly (though I primarily use WhatsApp and Facebook messenger, so I don't need texting necessarily). I'm not married to iDevices (although I'm a little let down with how flimsy the Samsung Galaxy S4 is compared to my previous iPhones, and I'm willing to either continue using one of my current phones (I have an iPhone 4S and a Galaxy S4), or buy a phone separate from a contract.

(I'm asking here instead of researching the companies themselves because last time I did that, AT&T seemed to have the best over-all deal, and I somehow ended up living right in the middle of the one area in central Virginia where they had no coverage)

I have AT&T and it works just fine, never had any problems except for at LAX.

For reference I also am using a smart phone.

celeron 300a
Jan 23, 2005

by exmarx
Yam Slacker
AT&T is fine, but there are pockets where AT&T gets 0.2 bars and Verizon gets more (and vice versa). Annoyingly, you'll only find this out after moving into your home. Don't lock yourself into a contract until you can find out how good the coverage will be.

Having said that, you should consider T-mobile. The voice and data plans are reasonable, there are no overage charges (according to them), and the coverage is pretty good. I have AT&T now (with one device on T-mobile), but I'm seriously considering moving my family's entire plan over to T-mobile (even if it means that I'll lose my precious, precious unlimited plan). Unfortunately, I'm still under contract for one of the phones, but maybe I'll just keep it on an individual plan until the contract expires.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Verizon is pretty good.
http://opensignal.com/

If you can swing T-Mobile I would suggest going that route though as it's hands down the cheapest. Are you going to be traveling much for your job? If you're going from home to work to home and get coverage in those 2 important places then you should be fine.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

There's a thread stickied at the top of Inspect Your Gadgets: Recommend me a phone and/or plan. Probably find more experts over there.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

LOLOL posted:

The borders would be established along county lines outlined in the proposal, creating the states of Jefferson, North California, Silicon Valley, Central California, West California and South California.
I kind of what this to happen (actually not at all) just so that in a hundred years this stupid place will still be called Silicon Valley, a 30 year old name that already is mega-eyeroll worthy, especially if you lump the rest of the bay area into it.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
LA/OC is a Verizon town. Verizon has twice the amount of spectrum as AT&T in the area. San Francisco is a AT&T town.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

att is pretty okay for the general east side/downtown up to pasadena area, never really had any issues. but i do hear that t mobile unlimited is rad.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Blinkman987 posted:

LA/OC is a Verizon town.
Yeah its actually pretty noticeable. (Or at least it was.)

Helpimscared
Jun 16, 2014

I was in San Diego this past week, had a really nice time. Im jelly of you goons who live there.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Helpimscared posted:

I was in San Diego this past week, had a really nice time. Im jelly of you goons who live there.

Good to hear! Weather was pretty decent IMO. :)

Twinkie Fat Sac
Dec 17, 2003
Never been to california. Thinking about moving there. What areas would I be looking at if I want something with cheap living,good nightlife, jobs, just general cool stuff? I live in chicago and I am sick of winter, and I want to be warm year round.

I guess I should also add that I dont have a degree, and I would probably prefer to stay in the restaurant / country club type of job. Or really anything general labor type stuff.

Twinkie Fat Sac fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Jul 25, 2014

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Twinkie Fat Sac posted:

I want something with cheap living,

Not California.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

CrazyLittle posted:

Not California.

Hey now there are some very inexpensive places in the Imperial Valley!

Riven
Apr 22, 2002

Twinkie Fat Sac posted:

Never been to california. Thinking about moving there. What areas would I be looking at if I want something with cheap living,good nightlife, jobs, just general cool stuff? I live in chicago and I am sick of winter, and I want to be warm year round.

I guess I should also add that I dont have a degree, and I would probably prefer to stay in the restaurant / country club type of job. Or really anything general labor type stuff.

Yeah sorry, you're one of 85 jillion people who want to live somewhere without winter. That's why California is so expensive. You can move to Phoenix! That's cheap, there are labor type jobs (lots of country clubs!) and it's warm year round. Of course, for six months it's so warm you can't leave the house...

Or you could move somewhere where winter isn't as harsh as Illinois. My wife and I moved out of the Bay Area to Phoenix and then Denver because we realized that until our careers were more advanced, we literally couldn't make more than we needed to spend every year. Like the people above said, if you ned cheap living AND good nightlife and jobs AND general cool stuff., then not California.

Denver's pretty kick rear end though. It snows and then melts off the next day. Portland would meet your criteria but the job situation there isn't great.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
The only cheap part of CA is the valley and Sacramento is the best place in the entire furnace that is the central valley but at least it's only 90 miles to SF or Lake Tahoe. I see people commuting on the train from Sacramento to the bay area every time I ride it. If anything it's a good place to stage your invasion, camp out and look for a job that will most likely be in the Bay Area, but at least you'll be close enough to interview.

the problem is it's not that cheap when lovely wages/job availability are factored in
still a bit rednecky
there are no jobs here in case that wasn't clear
it's not that cool (but getting better)
hipsters outpriced from Oakland have started showing up
it's cold as gently caress for about one month (December 15-Jan 15) and by cold as gently caress it's like Chicago in early April (mid 20's low/55 high)
it's hot as gently caress from May till November (gonna be 105 tomorrow) it's "dry" though with humidity in the 20% range or lower usually.

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Jul 25, 2014

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Riven posted:

Denver's pretty kick rear end though. It snows and then melts off the next day. Portland would meet your criteria but the job situation there isn't great.

Yeah Denver is pretty great, Portland is actually pretty cheap for a city but rents have skyrocketed there too as every young person wants to live someplace hip and lively (thanks suburbs).

I may be the minority here, but if you're set on California, you should look into Sacramento. Rents can be drat cheap there, food is actually good and reasonably priced for a meal (unlike Bay Area), and there is actually a lot of nightlife. It's also fairly close to SF (about ~1.5 hr drive during the evening) that you could reasonable drive over for any big events or to go the coast. Plus the mountains are very close for a quick boating/fishing/snowboarding/skiing trip. There are also plenty of big box retail and stocking jobs, retirement communities and country club type stuff that you might be able to get a job.

A big downside to Sacramento is that it gets pretty hot during the summer, but it could be worse.

edit: gently caress beaten. God drat you Keyzer! :glomp:

Xaris fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Jul 25, 2014

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Don't say Fresno, say Fres-yes!

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

Twinkie Fat Sac posted:

I guess I should also add that I don't have a degree, and I would probably prefer to stay in the restaurant / country club type of job. Or really anything general labor type stuff.

Honestly? The Inland Empire, that is if you don't mind commuting. You don't really need that great of a job to live out here, at least for the time being. There are plenty of food service or warehouse jobs out here. Like I said, if you don't mind commuting, living here puts you in the middle of LA, Las Vegas, San Diego, The Beach, The Mountains, and so on. All of these places are within a few hours driving distance from the I.E. The down-parts of living in the I.E.? It's boring, jobs are hard to come by nowadays, and smog.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Littlerock,_California
http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/10741-E-R-14-Ave-Littlerock-CA-93543/2105880855_zpid/

OR!

Twinkie Fat Sac posted:

good nightlife, jobs, just general cool stuff?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Francisco
http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1630-Clay-St-APT-4-San-Francisco-CA-94109/2106279003_zpid/

Pick.

Trabisnikof posted:

Don't say Fresno, say Fres-yes!
:what:

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

move to boyle heights before it gets all gentrified

Illuminado
Mar 26, 2008

The Path Ahead is Dark

Keyser S0ze posted:

The only cheap part of CA is the valley and Sacramento is the best place...
Fix't

Keyser S0ze posted:

the problem is it's not that cheap when lovely wages/job availability are factored in
Unless you work in HealthCare / Government / Politics, in which case, Welcome!
(Granted none of those help our Poster)

Keyser S0ze posted:

still a bit rednecky
Only if you venture 40 miles in any direction. The burbs get a bit redneck, but as long as you're within Sacto City Limits, it's not so bad.

Keyser S0ze posted:

there are no jobs here in case that wasn't clear
See Above

Keyser S0ze posted:

it's not that cool (but getting better)
It's pretty cool, depending on what it is that you like doing, we have a happenin' local bar/brewery scene with a lot of really cool people. Trivia/Karaoke/Shows every weekday. If you aren't a horrible basement dweller, you can live a very full, social life here, but I do agree that it is getting a lot more 'cultured.'

Keyser S0ze posted:

hipsters outpriced from Oakland have started showing up
Point: Keyser S0ze

Keyser S0ze posted:

it's cold as gently caress for about one month (December 15-Jan 15) and by cold as gently caress it's like Chicago in early April (mid 20's low/55 high)
It's not so bad.

Keyser S0ze posted:

it's hot as gently caress from May till November (gonna be 105 tomorrow) it's "dry" though with humidity in the 20% range or lower usually.
This is the more concerning part, but for those scorching 100°F+ days, there are plenty of indoor, air-conditioned things to do, and as a bonus a lot of cool people with whom to do cool things, and the River which is readily accessible for any water-related shenanigans.

Honestly, I'm pretty active and outdoorsy and I love it here. You have a lot of water sports, hiking, cycling, camping that's all within an hour drive from here, and though the various social scenes can be a bit closed off, there's something for everybody and we're slowly becoming a "real" with every passing year.

All in all, not a terrible place to be.

Illuminado fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jul 25, 2014

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Lol, I only moved to Sacto because I only had to be in the Bay Area once or twice a week and it was just as easy to do from here as from Cupertino to SF/Oak slogging along at 7mph up 101/280 or the "Road to Fallujah" aka 880 or trying to get to the Fremont BARF station before one of the 20* parking spots are gone at 6am.

I am super hosed to ever find a job in IT here as a mid mgt older goon and will have to move back to the Bay Area if I get whacked. As far as I've heard, gubmint isn't hiring, the nursing shortage is over but yeah, if you are some corporate lobbyist lawyer type you'll find something. Places like Intel haven't hired anyone over 22 or over $60k in 7 years according to my insider Intel sources.

Downtown/Midtown/Arden Park part of Sac which is the most like the Bay Area is brutally expensive to buy for this region and places like Roseville are still morphing into Orange County north, bro trucks, tattooed up stay at home moms driving their bro-trucked Chevy Tahoe like Fernando Alonso Kurt Busch (and of course filled with spoiled little white kids) and pretending they live in Newport Beach and toss around "Granite Bay" like there is an actual bay there instead an empty dirt hole, hanging out at Crush 21 or Mikuni and paying $12 for a cosmo (who drinks wine! lol - their quote).

I can go on.

I do love the cold spells, it weeds out the wimps that put on sweatshirts when it drops below loving 70 degrees and it also means my PG&E bill won't be $275.

I do love the mountains nearby though, and the plethora as cheap golf courses and reasonably priced housing. It's a good place to chill and for gently caress's sake at least it's not Fresno. Amtrak to Oakland really is handy I must say.

*slight exaggeration

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jul 25, 2014

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
If I had to move out of San Diego County, I would move to Denver. Easily.

Cool city, good weather, decent cost of living.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
All my dad's family live in Carmichael, so Sac was a regular visit for most of my young life. It's gotten way better as I got older, and has a great local music scene. My biggest complaint as a kid was the summer heat (having grown up in Oakland), but having lived in Phoenix for three years, I don't think I'd complain now if I moved back. But Denver is better than Sac.

My wife and I half joke that instead of sending our kid away for college, they will stay in CO for cheaper in-state tuition, and we will move back to SF and be a handsome older couple who only need 300 sq ft somewhere near Civic Center.

Twinkie Fat Sac
Dec 17, 2003
Denver is also on my list as ive been to durango and other small towns in colorado tons of times and very much enjoy it. I am just sick of winter. The only good thing about winter in colorado is theres actually poo poo to do which I would like to think makes it more tolerable. Winters in chicago suck and theres jack poo poo to do.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002

Twinkie Fat Sac posted:

Denver is also on my list as ive been to durango and other small towns in colorado tons of times and very much enjoy it. I am just sick of winter. The only good thing about winter in colorado is theres actually poo poo to do which I would like to think makes it more tolerable. Winters in chicago suck and theres jack poo poo to do.

As I said before, they're also much less harsh here. If you're not in the mountains, snow is not something you have to live with on a daily basis for more than maybe 4 weeks of the year, spread out. And not that it snows the whole week, but it just doesn't get warm enough to melt it all off.

As a price comparison, 5 years ago when I left the Bay Area, at the bottom of the housing downturn, my friend had just bought a house in Dublin (45 minutes to 4 hours from San Francisco depending on traffic) for $400,000. It's a big standard 3/2 in a suburb.

Right now there is a 100 year old, amazing Victorian that's been fully updated for sale down the block from me in one of the two hottest residential neighborhoods in Denver for $425,000.

Obviously you'd be looking for rentals, but basically you could have a job at a high-end bar or country club and probably live right down town in the thick of things here. You can do that in SF or LA, but you will have 2-3 literal room mates. And you'll still have 300 days of sun here.

I'm not making GBS threads on CA here. I love the state and if I could afford it I'd move back in a heartbeat. But if you're looking for affordable and fun, that state ain't it right now.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Note that cost of living is mitigated - somewhat - by generally higher wages. Exactly what line of work you're in matters a lot.

You can live near a BART station in the East Bay and be something like an hour from San Francisco without having to deal with traffic, and still find a 1-bed apartment for like $1000 a month. There are places like that here in Concord for example.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Yeah, so I looked a few places down in Carmichael this weekend (range was $330k-$375k) and literally every place was within a block of something from Season #1 of the Wire, even an Escalade down the street keeping watch (with Stringer Bell and Avon Barksdale chillin' in it).

Seriously, gently caress Carmichael unless your budget is over $500k and you are as far from Foothill Farms and Citrus Heights as possible. This is why boring people over 40 that can't afford $500k+ run to Roseville/Rocklin/Lincoln/Auburn/etc.

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello
I've been just fine living around hoodlums.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The key I have found is instead of seeking the lovely dangerous neighborhoods (for affordable housing), seek the ethnic neighborhoods. I bought my house in a very hispanic neighborhood and it's fine, not dangerous, but a lot of white people equate "there's some mexican dudes hanging out in front of their house drinking beer during the day on Saturday" to "my god this is a ghetto" and they couldn't be more wrong (those mexican dudes are cool and they work hard as gently caress).

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

cool story about gentrifying some mexican dudes out of the neighborhood they grew up in i guess v:shobon:v

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

appropriatemetaphor posted:

cool story about gentrifying some mexican dudes out of the neighborhood they grew up in i guess v:shobon:v

I bet he doesn't even realize how long it took us to segregate those neighborhoods in the first place.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I bought a foreclosure. The previous owner's name looks Indian or maybe Pakistani to me, and most of the mail I get for the previous tenant is addressed to someone with the last name "Chan." A lot of my neighbors are renters actually, I've met the owners of the house next door and they're a couple of elderly white people.

It's fine to own a property you rent to Mexicans, but actually living side by side with them is unacceptable to some folks.

My neighbor (the renter) is a really cool guy, too. He's a contractor, owns his business, coaches soccer, his wife is running a catering business out of the home, he likes to randomly mow my lawn for me without asking just because he's already doing his own. We watch out for each other's houses when one of us is out of town. He's got an old Renault in the driveway he's slowly restoring.

It's almost as though Hispanic people are just people and not actually scary? Like there's good neighbors and bad neighbors in any neighborhood, but this is not determined by their ethnicity.

My point is there are some towns where you can find lower rent in a good neighborhood due to the supposed "undesirability" of that neighborhood's dominant ethnicity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~

Leperflesh posted:

(those mexican dudes are cool and they work hard as gently caress).

All the Mexican families in my neighborhood also have awesome fence, masonry, and house work too because they're all contractor/craftsmen and they help each other out and take pride in their houses. It's awesome.

• Locked thread