Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I haven't been able to lock my forks in years, and I kind of have to wiggle my key a bit to go from Off to On sometimes. My key is a little bent

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Snowdens Secret posted:

My Aprilia only locks the steering with the wheel to the right, and I've randomly found other bikes that do the same. Dunno if that Suzuki is like that.

E: The Aprilia leans way the hell over on the kickstand so wheel direction is a stability non-issue.

Surely you mean the left :psyduck:

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
At my office there are 3 motorcycles and 1 scooter that squeeze into 1 parking space. One of the motorcyclists gets in really early, blocking off this particular space and then the rest of us just file in.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
If I have to use a car park space, I'll usually park up diagonally across it with my rear end near the edge of the space; that way people will see I'm actually parked there (Ever scoped out a free parking space only to find a mini was hiding between cars?) to hopefully stop some chump blitzing into the space and ploughing into the bike, or even boxing it in.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Yeah after almost plowing an expensive looking Goldwing myself, I started with that parking habit too.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

The duke has lock holes at full left AND full right :science:

Dead Pressed
Nov 11, 2009

Slavvy posted:

I've found my bike is noticeably less steady with the wheel pointed to the right, it seems to sit much more upright and precariously. It also looks goofy and retarded.

Yeah but your toilet flows in the other direction. This is the preferred stance in the USA.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Super Slash posted:

If I have to use a car park space, I'll usually park up diagonally across it with my rear end near the edge of the space; that way people will see I'm actually parked there (Ever scoped out a free parking space only to find a mini was hiding between cars?) to hopefully stop some chump blitzing into the space and ploughing into the bike, or even boxing it in.

This is the way to go. In paid lots, gently caress it, I'm taking up a full space. In free lots, I'll generally park near the rear and take up a full spot in case some vengeful idiot decides THIS is the day they get revenge on the evil single occupant vehicle taking up a whole parking space (never mind the fact that they drove here alone, too).

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Unless there's a designated bike parking I usually just park in a "useless" corner of the parking lot. There's usually one in a corner or next to a trolley station or whatever. :shrug:

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Radbot posted:

(never mind the fact that they drove here alone, too).

I had never considered this angle observation. Thank you for making me instantly and intensely angry at a hypothetical person.

I tend to park far away on principle. The extra walk is no big deal, and nobody will mess with my vehicle.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein

Coydog posted:

I had never considered this angle observation. Thank you for making me instantly and intensely angry at a hypothetical person.

I tend to park far away on principle. The extra walk is no big deal, and nobody will mess with my vehicle.

I see people park motorcycles in some dickish places. One guy with a cruiser seems to always park right in front of the area where the poor cart-return guys have to push the carts through to get into the store.

I just park angled into a regular spot. The walk won't kill me.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I park up on the curb at the grocery store when I can. I don't think it's dickish at all; might as well leave one more parking stall open.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Just ride the bike into the store. Might as well leave a cart free, too. Bonus points if you have a grom.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
Well, this certainly belongs in here:

Kill-9 posted:

After my stint as an EMT/biker-scraper-upper-and-transporter 25 years ago,
[...]
I even support their wanting to ride helmet-free, no matter how stupidly dangerous that is.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
If you're not wheelying into the produce section and roosting cucumbers and yellow squash everywhere you're just being disrespectful to your fellow customers

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

HotCanadianChick posted:

Well, this certainly belongs in here:

allowing helmetless riding combines a useful eugenics program and a way to get a supply of young, relatively healthy organs.

win-win.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Plus it let's you ID idiots you're probably better off not riding near.

drizzle
Jul 7, 2004

The world is a fine place and worth the fighting for and I hate very much to leave it.
Found this lil story on reddit in the r/cars thread about the daytona

quote:

This is my bike. This was my bike. Less than a month after this video was made, an impatient driver turned into my lane while attempting to enter his driveway. This bike was my pride and joy, and was my second bike after learning two years on a Suzuki GS500. It was the first big purchase I made after graduating college, and I miss her a lot. While this video is spot in to the T (including the sonic rings while thrusting), I just want to thank RCR for the amount of kindness and professionalism I experienced during and after the review. After my incident, Mr Regular would call to check up on how I was recovering after being discharged from the hospital. It really meant a lot. As you can see, I wear all the important gear (usually wear over pants, but didn't in the video), and it truly saved my life. Despite the glorious crotch cameo, I will definitely cherish this video as a fantastic tribute to the best bike I've ridden.

quote:

I'm making a slow recovery, but I don't want to get into the details. Aside from the scars I'll have for life, the physical injuries are nothing compared to the mental trauma of it all. I wasn't able to breathe when I hit the ground, and thought "this is it". I'm grateful for two witnesses that helped me and called 911 and my parents. The driver never apologized. I will never forget how he came up to me as I lay in the middle of the road and said, "you know what you did wrong there boy? You hit the front brake too hard. Most of your braking comes from that side." I'm a pretty calm guy, but I have never wanted to punch someone so much in my life. On top of that, he then offered me a cigarette before the ambulance came. While I'm angry at the driver, all I can do is forgive him and his carelessness. The accident brought me closer with my girlfriend and my family, so I guess I have that to thank him for.

drizzle fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Jul 29, 2014

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

drizzle posted:

you know what you did wrong there boy? You hit the front brake too hard. Most of your braking comes from that sid

People get so loving entitled on the road, it's unbelievable. That, and no-one will ever accept responsibility either, it's always someone else that hosed up.

The law really should always put the onus of an incident on the larger vehicle involved, maybe that would help people realize just how dangerous two tons of steel hurtling around really are, and maybe they'd pay a tiny bit more attention.

I can't wait for self-driving cars :(

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I recently spoke to someone involved in collating crash statistics and making the roads safer for bikes, working with the government etc. She told me 60% of crashes in non-urban areas were single vehicle incidents ie rider at fault. I didn't ask how low that figure is around town.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

OSU_Matthew posted:

The law really should always put the onus of an incident on the larger vehicle involved, maybe that would help people realize just how dangerous two tons of steel hurtling around really are, and maybe they'd pay a tiny bit more attention.

This is literally the law in China -- the larger vehicle gets the blame. Car vs bicycle? Car is at fault. Car vs bus? Truck is at fault. Motorcycle vs. scooter? Motorcycle is at fault. Anything vs. pedestrian? Anything is at fault.

It's a nice idea in theory but in reality it makes little sense -- an 18-wheeler will be at fault if it runs over a little QQ or something that cuts it off, and since pedestrians are basically legally immune from the accidents they cause...well, you've seen videos of Chinese roads.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Sagebrush posted:

This is literally the law in China -- the larger vehicle gets the blame. Car vs bicycle? Car is at fault. Car vs bus? Truck is at fault. Motorcycle vs. scooter? Motorcycle is at fault. Anything vs. pedestrian? Anything is at fault.

It's a nice idea in theory but in reality it makes little sense -- an 18-wheeler will be at fault if it runs over a little QQ or something that cuts it off, and since pedestrians are basically legally immune from the accidents they cause...well, you've seen videos of Chinese roads.
And this is another reason why dashcams are so widespread in China.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

Sagebrush posted:

Car vs bus? Truck is at fault.

Man, that must really piss the truck driver off!

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

OSU_Matthew posted:

People get so loving entitled on the road,

Seattledriving.txt

HOW DARE YOU MERGE IN FRONT OF ME, I WAS IN LINE.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Last week my boss lost his driver's license for three months because he's an irresponsible manbaby. He lives close enough to work that he could walk there in around ~45 minutes at a normal pace. He also lives on my route to work. He also has a motorcycle helmet.

It's been three days and I am loving over having his rear end on the back of my bike. Irrespective of how it 'looks', having an 85kg man on the back of a 919 makes it atrocious to ride and bottoms out the rear completely, even standing still, even with the preload at maximum (I weight 70kg so I guess the bike is just under-sprung). If this were just a co-worker, middle of winter or not, I'd tell him to harden up and ride a loving bicycle. Over it.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
That's a downside of living in the wastes of not-America, you'd never, ever carry your male boss on the back of a motorcycle around these parts.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The vehicle wholesaler next door is a portly bald man in his fifties who just got himself a bright orange lotus elise. He literally climbs out of the thing on his fourth attempt, looks at us and says:

"That's a bit gay isn't it?"

hermand
Oct 3, 2004

V-Dubbin

Slavvy posted:

The vehicle wholesaler next door is a portly bald man in his fifties who just got himself a bright orange lotus elise. He literally climbs out of the thing on his fourth attempt, looks at us and says:

"That's a bit gay isn't it?"

In the UK it's common enough that insurance doesn't cover pillion riders that it makes a perfect excuse not to take people on it. Can you pull that off - pretend you had to renew and the best deal didn't come with cover?

To be honest, I'd rather walk than take someone on the bike that I didn't want to.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

astrollinthepork posted:

"Aluminum sprockets last longer than metal ones. You don't want to get metal ones."

I know this is a couple of pages back, but I almost always hear this the other way.

"I'd rather get a metal sprocket than an aluminum one." Of course, not just sprockets. "This magnet doesn't stick to my fiberglass fairings or aluminum fairing stays. Just to the metal on the frame." Apparently not the metal on the engine, which is aluminum. Sorry, not metal engine. I really don't even know.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

I guess lots of people use the word metal to mean something ferrous and magnet attracting and call everything else is whatever it is.

I do it to my boss because I know it drives him nuts.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Slavvy posted:

Last week my boss lost his driver's license for three months because he's an irresponsible manbaby. He lives close enough to work that he could walk there in around ~45 minutes at a normal pace. He also lives on my route to work. He also has a motorcycle helmet.

It's been three days and I am loving over having his rear end on the back of my bike. Irrespective of how it 'looks', having an 85kg man on the back of a 919 makes it atrocious to ride and bottoms out the rear completely, even standing still, even with the preload at maximum (I weight 70kg so I guess the bike is just under-sprung). If this were just a co-worker, middle of winter or not, I'd tell him to harden up and ride a loving bicycle. Over it.

Just "accidently" pop a wheelie and off he goes. Probably won't be too hard to convince him to take the bicycle after that.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

As a matter of fact, today I decided to lane-split at my 'usual' pace for a couple of hundred meters and it visibly shook him. But what's he gonna do? He can't give me a talking-to, he knows his walking/bicycle fate is imminent without me. I'm now hoping to just make it as unpleasant as possible for him until he either gets a temporary license (the gears are in motion for this on monday thank gently caress) or gives up and walks.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Bugdrvr posted:

I guess lots of people use the word metal to mean something ferrous and magnet attracting and call everything else is whatever it is.

I do it to my boss because I know it drives him nuts.

I know some people that use the word "ally" (pronounced like "alley") to refer to anything that's not cast iron or steel. Apparently it was originally a corruption of "alloy" primarily used to refer to magnesium alloys but of course it also works as a shortening of aluminium, neatly covering anything you're likely to come across in an engineering setting - the main difference being that most things covered by "ally" tend to be very, very bad news if they get too hot (a consideration when drilling, welding, etc).

I wonder if there's a similar thing going on with that?

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

Slavvy posted:

As a matter of fact, today I decided to lane-split at my 'usual' pace for a couple of hundred meters and it visibly shook him. But what's he gonna do? He can't give me a talking-to, he knows his walking/bicycle fate is imminent without me. I'm now hoping to just make it as unpleasant as possible for him until he either gets a temporary license (the gears are in motion for this on monday thank gently caress) or gives up and walks.

Just tell him he broke the bike because it can't support both of your weight and that while you would love to have your manbaby boss' balls up against you on the ride to the office, you can't afford to keep fixing the bike.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Slavvy posted:

Please take a picture of his face after lane splitting before you tell him to buzz off. Please.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Devor posted:

Even horses instinctively try to murder motorcyclists. They really are smart.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
That sounds familiar - as I was going to work yesterday, there was a horse in the road. I slowed down to almost a stop, and he basically ignored me until I got up even with him, at which point he freaked out a little and I slowly weaved as far around him as I could.

The neighbors think two pieces of string will keep the horse in their driveway. I'll take a picture sometime, it's pretty hilarious.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
Imagine I posted the quote about the horses that just would go round and round in a circle at a riding school all day, and "scare" at the turkeys in a nearby pen every single time they passed them without fail.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Sagebrush posted:

Imagine I posted the quote about the horses that just would go round and round in a circle at a riding school all day, and "scare" at the turkeys in a nearby pen every single time they passed them without fail.

Got a link? Is this one of those massive effortposts like the one about the train derailing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

No, it was just Ruddha posting about what stupid animals horses are. Turns out it was pretty easy to find the quote:

quote:

My friends barn had to install a big fence because they were next to a turkey farm and despite the horses seeing these birds every single loving day, any time you'd ride past them most of the horses would briefly flip out and hurt them selves or throw their rider when the turkeys came into view. You could literally ride in a loop for an hour and every single time the horse would "scare" at the turkeys.

There's a whole pile more, too. Horses are dumb as poo poo.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3599972&pagenumber=10&perpage=40#post426646421

• Locked thread