Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
So the message is clear then

Kill all birds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Picnic Princess posted:

I'm sure those countries would love giving out birth certificates and passports to foreigners who'll never be productive citizens within their own lands!

Well, they're white, so...

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

DoctorWhat posted:

So many people have taken to using that bit of trivia to lord over others that I've adopted the counterpoint: that the Creature identifies itself as Victor's son, and has as much a claim to the name "Frankenstein" as Victor does.

Being serious though, that's just me saying one of the few things I picked up about literature that people get mixed up that I didn't know at first! Frankenstein was the monster and Sherlock Holmes never having actually said 'Elementary my dear Watson!'

I wasn't really trying to be an rear end about it when I pointed it out.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

I wish my birdfeeder got tons of birds. :smith:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

What is it with people so infuriated by having to press another button to get English? I've never understood that, it's a button, press it move on to the terrible robo-customerservice.

Also, what a lovely lookout to people needing help. 'Gawsh I gave out free food for poor people but ughhh all these poors coming around my god.'

And what free health care is she talking about?

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Thank you. Christ nothing makes you feel old before your time like that joke going over people's heads.

karl fungus
May 6, 2011

Baeume sind auch Freunde
Do people in western countries besides the US also get pissy about immigrants too?

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Also, our local news station's Facebook page just mentioned the striking down of Virginia's same-sex marriage ban. You could keep this thread going for the next 14 years on that thread alone, and another year for some of the hilarious trolling that has followed.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

karl fungus posted:

Do people in western countries besides the US also get pissy about immigrants too?

The British don't care for pakistani/Indian immigrants.

Plus they loving hate Polish immigrants, though I don't know how widespread that is.

Germany has similar issues with Turks who also do a work for cheap kind of thing.

France has a lot of hate for its Algerian quarter, but I don't think that technically counts.

That is all I know off the top of my head.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

MizPiz posted:

People can have more than one genetic background. It's also why my left hand is Iberian and my right hand is Slavic.
Sit next to me and I'll show you my Roman hands. :q:

Junius
May 14, 2006

Thank you, entertainment committee.

karl fungus posted:

Just gonna leave this helpful image showing the current Australian government's plan-in-action right here...

I'm honestly ashamed Tony Abbott somehow became our rightfully elected leader :(

Junius has a new favorite as of 03:55 on Jul 29, 2014

karl fungus
May 6, 2011

Baeume sind auch Freunde
Why do the British hate the Poles, of all groups?

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

CharlestheHammer posted:

Plus they loving hate Polish immigrants, though I don't know how widespread that is.

Germany has similar issues with Turks who also do a work for cheap kind of thing.

France has a lot of hate for its Algerian quarter, but I don't think that technically counts.

That is all I know off the top of my head.

People usually sort their hatred of immigrants based on how recent they were. The most recent gets the most hate and/or blame. It's true of basically every region of the world that has had a large group of people pick up and relocate there.

karl fungus posted:

Why do the British hate the Poles, of all groups?

Poland joined the E.U. fairly recently so the Polish have been leaving Poland in pretty big numbers because, well, life in Poland apparently sucks. This earns them the wonderful status of "most recent immigrant group."

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

Junius posted:

Just gonna leave this helpful image showing the current Australian government's plan-in-action right here...

I'm honestly ashamed Tony Abbott somehow became our rightfully elected leader :(

Edit: Hmm, my helpful image is unhelpfully not appearing... have a link instead.

Add .jpg to the end of the URL, and it will work.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

karl fungus posted:

Several European countries elected literal fascists to their governments recently so, uh, yeah.

Junius
May 14, 2006

Thank you, entertainment committee.

Ensign Expendable posted:

Add .jpg to the end of the URL, and it will work.

Oops, must have left that bit behind when I copy/pasted the url. Cheers!

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

CharlestheHammer posted:

The French are basically imperialist hate golems.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

karl fungus posted:

Yes: https://www.google.com/search?q=gently caress+off+we%27re+full&source=lnms&sa=X&ei=5A_XU8uvOZbf8AW9vYKQAQ&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAA&biw=1920&bih=979&dpr=1

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Enough sideburns to last a lifetime.

karl fungus posted:

Swedes can get pretty drat racist against Middle Eastern immigrants, to the point where it's a bit shocking compared to the image projected by Sweden. If you're interested in the insanity, look up Sverigedemokraterna, the insane right-wing racists of Sweden. They are pretty much rooted in Swedish fascism and racist groups, and they continue to use the name of an anti-immigration group as a slogan.

They've been gaining ground in recent years, and I used to keep a guy on FB who would constantly pull out support for them, but I got really tired of reading racist rants.

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.
Shared with the comment "Hmmmm". Close, but 3/10, you smug idiot. It needed a "Makes you think" tacked on.

Less idiotic and more annoyingly: a woman who used to babysit me came back from teaching English in Korea about six months ago and once her class graduated ("My little angels! So smart and witty!"), she's done nothing but post statuses like, "Korea is the BEST country!" "I LOVE KOREA <3!" "I'm so BLESSED to have been in such a WONDERFUL country with WONDERFUL people and WONDERFUL customs! Now why can't America be the same?" Just the same :jerkbag: statuses over and over again. I understand you had a good experience there. Shut the gently caress up about it.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

kinmik posted:

Shared with the comment "Hmmmm". Close, but 3/10, you smug idiot. It needed a "Makes you think" tacked on.

Less idiotic and more annoyingly: a woman who used to babysit me came back from teaching English in Korea about six months ago and once her class graduated ("My little angels! So smart and witty!"), she's done nothing but post statuses like, "Korea is the BEST country!" "I LOVE KOREA <3!" "I'm so BLESSED to have been in such a WONDERFUL country with WONDERFUL people and WONDERFUL customs! Now why can't America be the same?" Just the same :jerkbag: statuses over and over again. I understand you had a good experience there. Shut the gently caress up about it.

I just had a WONDERFUL time in Disneyworld. I LOVE DISNEYWORLD. WONDERFUL park with WONDERFUL rides and WONDERFUL characters! Now why can't America be the same?

aka every vacation ever.

Varjon
Oct 9, 2012

Comrades, I am discover LSD!

Byzantine posted:

I wish my birdfeeder got tons of birds. :smith:

My birdfeeder does get tons of birds. They also do not poo poo everywhere, nor do they nest on the house, nor do they attack me, nor do they make a bunch of noise when the feeder is empty, or anything else in that image.

In fact all they really do that they weren't doing before is thrive.

Varjon has a new favorite as of 04:38 on Jul 29, 2014

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

CharlestheHammer posted:

Turkey has a lot of neocons going nuts over the Syrian border because of refugees crossing it, right now :v: The Germany thing reminded me of it because they already have Syrians taking lovely underpaying labor.

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

Why do I always want to sock it to you so hard?

CharlestheHammer posted:

And Romanians.

As an expat Brit who is from southern England, my family always had a strong resentment towards the Germans. I wouldn't call it quite a hatred, my mom's best friend in high school was German, and it's definitely died down since I was little, but there's a suspicion or something there. Although that one is a little more understandable than the Pakistani/Indian/EU hatred...

Blind Pineapple
Oct 27, 2010

For The Perfect Fruit 'n' Kaman

1 part gin
1 part pomegranate syrup
Fill with pineapple juice
Serve over crushed ice

College Slice
Right-wing politics, likebait, and an obviously fake image... I think we may have hit peak facebook.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!
i can't believe how many decisions have been hinged on reaching a certain number of Facebook Likes

even people's names are now used for baiting Likes/reblogs/whatever. if i get a million likes i'll name my baby sephiroth!!!!!!

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Blind Pineapple posted:

Right-wing politics, likebait, and an obviously fake image... I think we may have hit peak facebook.

I'm going to laugh when this gets 837 likes and stays there until Oblammo's term is up.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

So do they expect to get enough force to get President Biden to resign too, or what.

Cygna
Mar 6, 2009

The ghost of a god is no man.

I knew this was going to turn super-racist as soon as I saw the word "boisterous." (Though I guess the fact that you said she posted racist bullshit helped)

Amused to Death
Aug 10, 2009

google "The Night Witches", and prepare for :stare:

karl fungus posted:

Honestly America(maybe Canada, I don't know what's going on up there, I don't know if Canada even exists anymore) is probably among the most chill in regards to immigrants vd every other western nation despite the loud mouth loons. Like on one hand you have the US where a substantial majority of the population supports giving amnesty of some fashion to a small nation worth of people and one party basically as a whole campaigns on said thing while a minority of the other party also support it. Then you have say Britain where every major party is "Gotta reduce immigrant numbers" and a party of xenophobic shitheads won the EU elections or France where literal fascists won the EU elections.

Amused to Death has a new favorite as of 05:40 on Jul 29, 2014

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
EU elections?

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

FrozenVent posted:

EU elections?

Europe has a big assembly, like the UN. Unlike the UN they don't appoint people, they elect them.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
As for the immigrant derail I moved to the UK about eight years ago. To this day I'm amazed at how many people will bitch about immigrants right in front of me. First time it happened it was while a barber was cutting my hair and I was kinda shocked. Now I'm almost used to it.

It does continue to amuse me when I say 'Well I'm an immigrant' and see how fast they backpedal and figure out ways to say that I'm ok without admitting that I don't count because I'm white and don't have a Polish accent.

Darkhold has a new favorite as of 08:50 on Jul 29, 2014

Kugyou no Tenshi
Nov 8, 2005

We can't keep the crowd waiting, can we?

kinmik posted:

Man, she should talk to my friend who visited Korea with her family a few years ago. She wasn't quite as happy about the traditional customs and the role expected of her as your friend was. Then again, my friend is actually Korean on her mother's side, and got treated like poo poo (including being told repeatedly that she was not to answer questions about her unless they were directed to her) because she was "too Americanized", not a koreaboo who fetishizes the Mysterious East.

Ignimbrite
Jan 5, 2010

BALLS BALLS BALLS
Dinosaur Gum

Junius posted:

To further add to this, we have no proper Science minister at the moment either. He's a climate change denialist.

Tony Abbott is an idiot in every single form of media by default. He can't speak well, is pathologically avoidant of questions and is a bit of a misogynist. Not to mention he's a fundie, but one that doesn't hide it well. There's a reason one of his nicknames (alongside one-term-Tony) is The Mad Monk.

So yeah, he's almost a stereotypical idiot on facebook.

quote:

Australia is still an island, right? I'm seeing a bit of a problem with the whole "Border" protection idea.

Yeah, we have a lot of refugee seekers trying to find a safe place to live coming by boat -often being very rickety fishing boats, but far, far more come by plane, without documentation- from the middle east and asia. These are what poor old australia is being protected from. The liberal partys' (funnily enough the conservative party here) entire election campaign last year consisted of "STOP THE BOATS and gently caress the poor".

Ignimbrite has a new favorite as of 10:01 on Jul 29, 2014

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Australia is still an island, right? I'm seeing a bit of a problem with the whole "Border" protection idea.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
The UK dislike for the Polish baffles me, given that our national stereotype for them is that they're polite and very hard workers.

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

Question Mark Mound posted:

The UK dislike for the Polish baffles me, given that our national stereotype for them is that they're polite and very hard workers.

All the more reason to hate them then; not only will they take your job, but they will convince your boss to let them keep it out of proper British hands!! :argh:

This post brought to you by the British National Party. HEIL HITLER

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Byzantine posted:

So do they expect to get enough force to get President Biden to resign too, or what.

An old white man? why would they want him gone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ninjasaurus
Feb 11, 2014

This is indeed a disturbing universe.

SybilVimes posted:

An old white man? why would they want him gone?

• Locked thread