Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
I will say it's a bit odd that Korra can't seem to just Avatar State her way out of those restraints. Well, maybe she does, in the very next frame of the scene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

BrianWilly posted:

I will say it's a bit odd that Korra can't seem to just Avatar State her way out of those restraints. Well, maybe she does, in the very next frame of the scene.

I think that's what the Red Lotus wants; If they can kill her in the millisecond it takes to break out of the restraints, no more Avatars ever.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

hiddenriverninja posted:

I think that's what the Red Lotus wants; If they can kill her in the millisecond it takes to break out of the restraints, no more Avatars ever.

Wouldn't it be basically just like when Wan died, and Raava would just find a new host?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

DrSunshine posted:

Wouldn't it be basically just like when Wan died, and Raava would just find a new host?

The Avatar state is when they're fused the closest. If you kill an Avatar in that state, you'll kill Raava too, like what almost happened to Aang.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

DrSunshine posted:

No, because killing the Avatar during the Avatar state is the same as killing Raava.

Jagermonster
May 7, 2005

Hey - NIZE HAT!

Neo_Crimson posted:

No, because killing the Avatar during the Avatar state is the same as killing Raava.

It looks to me like they're trying to do what Admiral Zhao did to Aang - simply keep her restrained rather than kill her so she won't reincarnate.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account
It doesn't make any sense to me that Suyin would be in on the conspiracy to capture Korra with the Bender Legion of Doom. She's the one who suggested dropping down from the dome to rescue her and she took out Zaheer when he was flying at Lin.

To me, the easiest explanation for her side-eyes when they reveal Ai Wei as the traitor is that she's not out of the crime game. She's either connected to the Triads, or a Robin Hood type plotting against the Earth Queen (hence her conversation with Korra earlier and why she wouldn't be willing to just let Ai Wei go off on his merry way).

Elotana fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Jul 29, 2014

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006

Jagermonster posted:

It looks to me like they're trying to do what Admiral Zhao did to Aang - simply keep her restrained rather than kill her so she won't reincarnate.

Thing is, what is it they would want the Avatar to not interfere with then? Zhao and the Fire Nation wanted the Avatar out of the picture so they could conquer the world. We don't have much of a hint as to what they are trying to do, though they did also talk about assassinating the president mayor guy of Republic City. They might just be anarchists I guess. Though Aiwei did say something was coming for the Avatar, so it could be they are trying to prevent some ridiculous calamity that nobody else believes in.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Metropolis posted:

Thing is, what is it they would want the Avatar to not interfere with then? Zhao and the Fire Nation wanted the Avatar out of the picture so they could conquer the world. We don't have much of a hint as to what they are trying to do, though they did also talk about assassinating the president mayor guy of Republic City. They might just be anarchists I guess. Though Aiwei did say something was coming for the Avatar, so it could be they are trying to prevent some ridiculous calamity that nobody else believes in.
I hope it's something cooler than Daddy Issues or Dark Avatar.

I really like the theory that the Red Lotus believes that the Four Nations should be entirely separate entities, and furthermore that the Avatar, rather than being a key to maintain balance, instead ensures chaos by tipping the scales in favor of their native nation each generation. This would also explain why they want to assassinate the President of Republic City. Their wish to return Republic City to Earth Kingdom territory could also connect to the Earth Queen plotline, seeing as how she specifically mentioned how upset she was about that.
The only problem with this theory is the romance between Zaheer and P'Li. While I can buy the idea that these four united in defiance of their principles in order to accomplish their shared goal, and even that they could become close friends in a camaraderie sense, I can't buy that two of them would become romantically involved with each other while having such radical ideas.

I'm getting excited but also really nervous that they're gonna drop the ball.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Sydin posted:

^Knowing Platinum, there'll be plenty of costume DLC that will let you play as other people. Alternatively the side mission / challenges (because they will exist) may focus on specific benders.

I'd play the poo poo out of Pro Bending Manager 2015.

Korra is the #1 free agent, whoever signs her gets a huge advantage. Knowing me, I'd take the worst team (actual worst team, not the fire ferrets) and train them up until they beat a team with Korra on it.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
It's funny that the Equalist plot might get more resolved in the game than in the show.

Now, when I say funny...

Tarodia
Jan 13, 2008

Winners don't do drugs
My personal theory is that they wanted to kidnap Korra when she was a kid so that they can brainwash/raise her into their own personal Avatar and take over the world or whatever. Though last episode kinda throws a wrench into that theory

Hauldren Collider
Dec 31, 2012
As I recall, Zaheer said in the first episode of this season that he wants to end the Avatar. I think that makes it pretty clear cut what his ultimate goal is. The details of how he would go about it are probably impossible to predict. The only thing we know is that it involves capturing the avatar alive.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Hauldren Collider posted:

As I recall, Zaheer said in the first episode of this season that he wants to end the Avatar. I think that makes it pretty clear cut what his ultimate goal is. The details of how he would go about it are probably impossible to predict. The only thing we know is that it involves capturing the avatar alive.
He also said he wants to end the White Lotus. And then we had a scene of the four talking about assassinating the President. There's more to this than just destroying the Avatar.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

It'll turn out that they went through all of this effort, including spending much of their lives in solitary confinement...

Because they really wanted to throw a big birthday bash for Korra. :v:

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

I really like the theory that the Red Lotus believes that the Four Nations should be entirely separate entities, and furthermore that the Avatar, rather than being a key to maintain balance, instead ensures chaos by tipping the scales in favor of their native nation each generation.
Heh, maybe they want just the opposite: to extract bits of Korra (well, Raava) and spread them around, radical redistribution style? To end 'the Avatar' by creating a lot of multi-benders/mini-Avatars? That would be the 'Red' Lotus as in the 'communist' Lotus, then...

Although that would be a bit of a retread of the Book 1 political plot, just from the other side (instead of 'equalising' by taking powers away, 'equalising' by distributing them more freely).

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

I really like the theory that the Red Lotus believes that the Four Nations should be entirely separate entities, and furthermore that the Avatar, rather than being a key to maintain balance, instead ensures chaos by tipping the scales in favor of their native nation each generation. This would also explain why they want to assassinate the President of Republic City. Their wish to return Republic City to Earth Kingdom territory could also connect to the Earth Queen plotline, seeing as how she specifically mentioned how upset she was about that.
The only problem with this theory is the romance between Zaheer and P'Li. While I can buy the idea that these four united in defiance of their principles in order to accomplish their shared goal, and even that they could become close friends in a camaraderie sense, I can't buy that two of them would become romantically involved with each other while having such radical ideas.

I'm getting excited but also really nervous that they're gonna drop the ball.

I'm pretty much in the Reds are the Extremist Lotus party where they believe in unification by force. Killing the President of Republic City might represent the elimination of the figurehead that represents the White Lotus's "separate but equal nations" approach orthey might just want to kill him and install themselves as leaders before engaging in conquest.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I really really hope people don't get this big huge idea into their head and they get super-angry when it isn't that.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

ImpAtom posted:

I really really hope people don't get this big huge idea into their head and they get super-angry when it isn't that.

"My daddy didn't like the Avatars so I'm going to end you now."

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Too late, I'm already all in on the Red Lotus planning to do some spirity thing where they take control of the Avatar cycle and control the world through their divine figurehead, and I've already started my draft of the angry email I'm going to send if my fanfic doesn't come true.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, I bet this is in part why they are so cagey about the RL's actual motivations/motives.

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

Hey guys, I have been a big fan of the original series for a long time and I recently saw the first season of Korra. Can someone link to the original thread in archives? I would like to see what people thought of it. I thought it was great, but I think they wrapped up the ending of the season a bit too conveniently and it woulda been better to leave some loose ends.

Currently I am looking forward to season 2 coming out on blu-ray. I haven't seen any episodes outside of season 1 yet.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

The_Frag_Man posted:

Can someone link to the original thread in archives? I would like to see what people thought of it.

NO YOU DO NOT

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

DrSunshine posted:

Only the Harmonic Convergence can provide the energy needed to fuse Raava to a host.

Babygravy
Jun 12, 2014

I am the gravy
So in a thousand years?

Babygravy
Jun 12, 2014

I am the gravy
Ten thousand sorry

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Potentially interesting query: if destroyed, Raava is reborn from Vaatu, and Vaatu will presumably one day be reborn from Raava. Neither can destroy the other forever.

So... what happens if both are destroyed? Will the universe just recreate them? Or will they be gone forever?

Maybe that was the Red Lotus's plan. Get Korra, train her up for Harmonic Convergence, let her destroy Vaatu, and then destroy Raava so that neither of them will ever come back, freeing humanity from the tyranny of the great spirits forever.

Andrew_1985
Sep 18, 2007
Hay hay hay!
The outlaws were also hanging with the spirits. Perhaps through Zaheer they're doing the work of Koh or something. (Totes won't happen.)

Hoping Asami gets some character in the future.

As for the future of the program, still no way to legally purchase it in Australia it seems. Here's hoping proceeds from the game help the franchise.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Spergatory posted:

Potentially interesting query: if destroyed, Raava is reborn from Vaatu, and Vaatu will presumably one day be reborn from Raava. Neither can destroy the other forever.

So... what happens if both are destroyed? Will the universe just recreate them? Or will they be gone forever?

Maybe that was the Red Lotus's plan. Get Korra, train her up for Harmonic Convergence, let her destroy Vaatu, and then destroy Raava so that neither of them will ever come back, freeing humanity from the tyranny of the great spirits forever.

Nobody knew about Raava.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Jackard posted:

Nobody knew about Raava.

Random Fire Nation healer lady knew about Harmonic Convergence, though.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
I have a crazy idea. With the return of the Dai Li this season, is it possible, just possible...

...:ohdear:

SpiderHyphenMan fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Jul 29, 2014

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

I have a crazy idea. With the return of the Dai Li this season, is it possible, just possible...

...:ohdear:

Who is that in the second picture? Is that Jet?

...didn't he die?

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

DoctorWhat posted:

Who is that in the second picture? Is that Jet?

...didn't he die?
Much like the motivations of the Red Lotus at this point, it's really unclear.

Rhombic Drive
Apr 15, 2007

Jet is as dead as a doornail

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

If I liked Avatar: The Last Airbender would I like this?

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Arglebargle III posted:

Yes, especially Book 3, which is especially ATLA-ish.

I liked all three books, but YMMV.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Arglebargle III posted:

First season is good fun, but the characters aren't particularly well-written, but you'll like it as an ATLA fan.

Season two is awful, and I'm almost tempted to tell you to ignore it aside from two special episodes.

NO LISTEN TO ME
Jan 3, 2009

「プリスティンビート」
「Pristine Beat」
instead of watching S2, just watch the Wan episodes, then search "Varrick" on youtube and watch all the top results.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Season 2 was perfectly fine from the 2 parter onwards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

computer parts posted:

Season 2 was perfectly fine from the 2 parter onwards.

No it just went from "awful" to "dreadfully mediocre." It still did nothing following the two parter to actually justify watching the season as a whole.

Thankfully we seem to be past this being genuinely bad television.

• Locked thread