Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Okay, that one wasn't too bad. No angsting, just some details on the way GGO works, Kirito being awesome at what he's always been good at and proving to suck at shooting. Plus Sinon having a good time. While the whole "I've got a male avatar but I'm gonna fake being a girl because reasons" thing is something I could live without, on whole this was an episode I enjoyed.

So good job, show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
The most surprising thing about this episode was the cowboy robot speaking in perfect english.

bubblegumbo0
Apr 24, 2008

我的機動戰士是個ヤンデレ!

ViggyNash posted:

Also he is a girl because :shrug:

Realism, 90% of female MMO characters are played by someone with a penis.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
IIRC, the light novel explains that the trap avatar is a rare bonus avatar and that your chance of it getting picked goes up the higher the total VR playtime on your account. Kirito has had more than 2 years of playtime because of SAO alone, which is physically impossible for anyone who hasn't been trapped in that because GGO takes place less than two years after the end of the SAO arc.

Dexo posted:

Mostly players are bad. They waited for the prediction line. All Kirito did is trace the path the Bullet would have to take based off of where the Gun was pointing, rather than waiting for the Prediction Line and then dodging.

Kirito has had to dodge swords(from literal GM's with god powers) with no path assist, with his life on the line. He also have had probably about more 200% Dive Time than(that we have seen so far anyway) than any other Non-SAO player, and he was the best of those players.

Not even where the gun was pointing, but where that AI cowboy was looking; GGO is still built with the same core system as SAO and mobs always look exactly at where they're aiming at.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

bubblegumbo0 posted:

Realism, 90% of female MMO characters are played by someone with a penis.

But at least we know why they are a girl (because they are weirdos), but in this case there is literally no explanation.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
So, if you can't choose your avatar why are the rare ones valuable? Are the avatars removable from an account, or do people buy the accounts they are attached to?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Oh hey, SAO II finally hit what should have been episode 2.

EDIT: Haha, what? They didn't even have Kirito monologue about why he's pretending to be a girl? Okay then.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Jul 27, 2014

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Serious Frolicking posted:

So, if you can't choose your avatar why are the rare ones valuable? Are the avatars removable from an account, or do people buy the accounts they are attached to?

The guy was offering to buy his account, so obviously they aren't transferable.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

That wasn't a guy, that was a girl who was stuck with the "Smelly Hobo V2.3" avatar because RNG.

SAO is really at it's best when it cranks the Marry Sue dial to 11. When it tries to explore the psychological effects of shooting a criminal to death on a 7 year old, not so much.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

You still get an avatar of your gender. You can't make a character that's not the same as your real life gender, as I think has been mentioned a few times in this thread.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Well, of course. We wouldn't want any of Kirito's romantic interests to turn out to be a man. That would be ~~awkward~~.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

The novel explanation is that studies found it "psychologically uncomfortable" to be lacking the sensation of having your own genitals so later games banned it (SAO didn't but Kayaba dispelled all crossplaying immediately). This isn't a very good explanation, but it is narratively simpler so whatever.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

EDIT^^^^^^^: Aha, alright then.

Demicol posted:

You still get an avatar of your gender. You can't make a character that's not the same as your real life gender, as I think has been mentioned a few times in this thread.

When did this retcon happen? Back in episode 1 of SAO everyone was forced into their real appearance and gender when Kayaba made his grand reveal. Before that they seemed to able to pick themselves. :psyduck:

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Dexo posted:

Mostly players are bad. They waited for the prediction line. All Kirito did is trace the path the Bullet would have to take based off of where the Gun was pointing, rather than waiting for the Prediction Line and then dodging.

Kirito has had to dodge swords(from literal GM's with god powers) with no path assist, with his life on the line. He also have had probably about more 200% Dive Time than(that we have seen so far anyway) than any other Non-SAO player, and he was the best of those players.
Yes, it makes some sense that Kirito can do this. Especially in Japan where there are always rumors of martial artist doing this in real live.

But it makes no sense at all that nobody else can do this. All the people who converted from fast sword fighting games should be able to do this. The competitive players should practice this.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

BlitzBlast posted:

Oh hey, SAO II finally hit what should have been episode 2.

EDIT: Haha, what? They didn't even have Kirito monologue about why he's pretending to be a girl? Okay then.

Uh, he kinda did. It was kept to a minimum but I'm pretty sure it was obvious that Sinon was hostile towards guys in-game by the way she spoke when Kirito called out to her. Not even Kirito's that dense as to be unable to read the mood.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

tonberrytoby posted:

Yes, it makes some sense that Kirito can do this. Especially in Japan where there are always rumors of martial artist doing this in real live.

But it makes no sense at all that nobody else can do this. All the people who converted from fast sword fighting games should be able to do this. The competitive players should practice this.

Kirito was far and away the best SAO player(besides Heathcliff anyway)

Even is you can predict something, if your reaction speed isn't there you won't dodge it

Dive Time = Better sync and reaction time due to being adjusted to the systems.

Kirito has more Dive time than just about anyone in the world(he logged heavy hours in SAOs beta)

Also this is a gun game those who play it regularly are used to being at range rather than advancing on an enemy.

Until Kirito found the sword Sinon was going to have him play a boring mid range AR/pistols build

Kirito was given dual blades because his reaction time and skill were better than anyone else's. This is just a continuation of that notion.

In short don't question, just accept Kirito's greatness into your heart.

Grausherra
Jul 15, 2007

Look into my eyes...
I laughed at how the NPC reacted to Kirito's explanation.

Hagop
May 14, 2012

First one out of the Ranger gets a prize!
Yah, Kirito being the fastest is basically because he has the longest dive time. The first core doesn't explain it well, but Heathcliff built a number of traps into the game for the beta players. Kirito gets the dual wield skill, likely because he was longest played combat focused user left at that point.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
According to the progressive manga, most of the beta testers went off and got themselves killed due to overconfidence and an inability to cope with changes from the beta version. So yeah, it is entirely possible that among the already small group of obsessive beta players like Kirito, the rest either died or switched to non-combat roles.

Feed Me A Cat
Jun 18, 2012

Coughing Hobo posted:

The most surprising thing about this episode was the cowboy robot speaking in perfect english.

I like to imagine that someone on staff told the voice casting people "Hey, I've got this gaijin neighbor, let's have him do the cowboy!"

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Give that guy a raise then, that was the best part of the episode.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I want Robot Cowboy to be the new main character.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Sindai posted:

They should rip him out of the machine and bring him along. He can be like TK from Angel Beats, always overacting and shouting nonsensical english phrases.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Sindai posted:

gently caress that, get him and whoever recorded the dialogue their own anime. :allears:

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Bremen posted:

They should rip him out of the machine and bring him along. He can be like TK from Angel Beats, always overacting and shouting nonsensical english phrases.

Maybe if we all wish hard enough it'll happen.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Seeing's Kirito's face when Shinon's explanations of Gun types and such starts to get ahead of him is pretty great.

It's always funny when Kirito's the one getting dorked around (The part where he screams "THE gently caress?!" at his character model is great too).

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I refuse to believe that any online game where lightsabers exist wouldn't attract roleplayers, no matter how much they might suck. They'd keep doing their gay little e-honor duels until the day they died, regardless of how useless it would be for playing the rest of the game.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
Kirito's inner conflict on whether or not he should pretend to be a girl was the best part of the episode.

I refuse to believe that any online game where lightsabers exist wouldn't attract roleplayers, no matter how much they might suck. They'd keep doing their gay little e-honor duels until the day they died, regardless of how useless it would be for playing the rest of the game.

Excuse me, the second episode clearly established that Sinon is a tryhard, of course she wouldn't know about the RP servers. It's a characterization beat, guys :colbert:

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Isn't that what happened with one of the Star Wars FPSes? Like, they'd "Bow" before going at each other with lightsabers (Unless you wern't stupid and just kicked their teeth in whilst they'd do that nonsense)?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

ConanThe3rd posted:

Isn't that what happened with one of the Star Wars FPSes? Like, they'd "Bow" before going at each other with lightsabers (Unless you wern't stupid and just kicked their teeth in whilst they'd do that nonsense)?

Ahahaha Yeah, The Star Wards Jedi Knight: Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy games multiplayer had people take poo poo waaay too seriously. I remember joining a random server and starting to slice and kill everyone until they started bitching at me in chat, and I eventually got votekicked or something.

But to be fair that was in a Star Wars game.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I love that they're not even trying to hide that "Yeah it's totally a light saber". It's got the sound effects and everything.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

paragon1 posted:

I love that they're not even trying to hide that "Yeah it's totally a light saber". It's got the sound effects and everything.

The novel had a more direct "they changed the name slightly so they wouldn't get sued by a famous American filmmaker" joke in the narration.

Myurton
Jan 2, 2004

I <3 Asuka,
omg anime fag
I also loved that he had to make his light sabers hilt black. Too bad he couldn't choose a custom blade colour and made that black as well.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Myurton posted:

I also loved that he had to make his light sabers hilt black. Too bad he couldn't choose a custom blade colour and made that black as well.

Purple works better for his crossdressing avatar.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

Feed Me A Cat posted:

I like to imagine that someone on staff told the voice casting people "Hey, I've got this gaijin neighbor, let's have him do the cowboy!"

That isn't far off the truth considering it was voiced by Jeff Manning. :v:

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

tonberrytoby posted:

Wasn't the minigun guy basically doing it in the second episode?

Anime is great!
Sep 14, 2007

1.5 episodes in and welp, just realized that I will watch anything. How far off are we from full-dive technology? Who's gonna be the first human test subject to allow a computer to manipulate his input senses?

Thunk
Oct 15, 2007

AnacondaHL posted:

Wasn't the minigun guy basically doing it in the second episode?

No, he saw the red indicator line and dodged that. That's why Shinon wanted to take him out first; a sniper rifle doesn't produce a red line if it's fired from stealth.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Thunk posted:

No, he saw the red indicator line and dodged that. That's why Shinon wanted to take him out first; a sniper rifle doesn't produce a red line if it's fired from stealth.

He means the second time when she blew off his glasses. He dodged that at the literal last second. She only managed to beat him since apparently he couldn't aim the minigun vertically or some poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

YouTuber posted:

He means the second time when she blew off his glasses. He dodged that at the literal last second. She only managed to beat him since apparently he couldn't aim the minigun vertically or some poo poo.

The logistics of aiming something as heavy and huge as a mini-gun vertically are kinda insane. :v:

• Locked thread