Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I like the Rock Hall and the Football HOF, but I was also 15 when I last went to them despite going to college in between Canton and Cleveland. $23 doesn't sound too bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
The 23$ is worth it just to go in and write "needs buttfumble exhibit" on the comments cards.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

swickles posted:

The 23$ is worth it just to go in and write "needs buttfumble exhibit" on the comments cards.

On one hand, that's a good joke thing and, on the other, "comedy in football" would be pretty great for an exhibit.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

It would consist of the Butt Fumble and every Tebow NFL win.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

swickles posted:

every Tebow NFL win.

Only because there isn't enough room for every Tebow pass.

Skunkduster
Jul 15, 2005

Could also include "Giving him the business" and a clips of Ed Hochuli whenever he explains something.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

SkunkDuster posted:

Could also include "Giving him the business" and a clips of Ed Hochuli whenever he explains something.

"Giving him the business" was college though.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

gohuskies posted:

College football should go to Canton as well considering they're basically just the minor league.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Chichevache posted:

College football should go to Canton as well considering they're basically just the minor league.

That's in Atlanta

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

gohuskies posted:

I'm not 100% for sure and I can't check youtube right now but I could have sworn I saw a clip of an NFL ref saying the same thing. Even if it wasn't the original, I'd still be stoked to see it in an exhibit.

:edit:
Also, no mention of the Redskin's Swinging Gate? There's even an actual painting of it!

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

The original was from an NFL game right after they started letting referees play with microphones, yes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eslz06J9hFw

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Trin Tragula posted:

The original was from an NFL game right after they started letting referees play with microphones, yes.

Nice catch, I was thinking of this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbO0RQmESHM

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Trin Tragula posted:

Of course it was Jim Kelly who got the business and the Bills still lost. :sigh:

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.

Chichevache posted:

Of course it was Jim Kelly who got the business and the Bills still lost. :sigh:

the business giveth, and the business taketh away

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

gohuskies posted:

Nice catch, I was thinking of this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbO0RQmESHM

You may be intersted to know that that may or may not have been the end of a season-long running joke between all the ACC white hats where they were all jokingly double-triple-daring each other to say it...

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

SkunkDuster posted:

"God dammit Donald"

"WOAH THERE MOTHER FUCKER"

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

:siren: THAT'S NOT loving HOLDING :siren:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Eu_OY3Lh3M

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

What's the cheapest legal way to watch game day football without access to cable, preferably on gamedays?
Also, where's the analysis that you did pangstrom? I'd be interested in reading it.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Shadow225 posted:

What's the cheapest legal way to watch game day football without access to cable, preferably on gamedays?

A bar.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Yup. Beyond that, hook up an antenna and hope you don't live in a valley for the Sunday games. NBC also streams the Sunday Night game, and then for Monday and Thursday night you pretty much need cable.

Last year EA ran a deal where you could get the streaming version of Direct's NFL package for $100 with Madden, but I expect they will not be doing that again.

The other option is you can buy NFL game rewind, but you won't be able to watch the Sunday games until a day or two later.

Kalli fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jul 15, 2014

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Shadow225 posted:

Also, where's the analysis that you did pangstrom? I'd be interested in reading it.
http://www.bradybutterfield.com/nfl/?p=1

Stephen
Feb 6, 2004

Stoned
My wife and I will be making a trip to Green Bay to watch the Panthers game on Oct. 19th. This will be my first time to Lambeau and I'm wondering if any vets can give me some advice. Stubhub good enough for tickets? Should I wait to buy or get them asap? Are there best/worst sections?

Thanks in advance.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Kalli posted:

The other option is you can buy NFL game rewind, but you won't be able to watch the Sunday games until a day or two later.

Are you sure? I'm pretty sure I remember watching condensed Sunday games before Monday night football, but I could be wrong.

Also for those who don't know, Madden 98-01ish had the ref saying "giving him the business" for every personal foul in the worst quality imaginable, and it was great.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Volkerball posted:

Are you sure? I'm pretty sure I remember watching condensed Sunday games before Monday night football, but I could be wrong.

Also for those who don't know, Madden 98-01ish had the ref saying "giving him the business" for every personal foul in the worst quality imaginable, and it was great.

If I'm remembering correctly, the service is off-line during MNF.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I have Comcast, and want to be able to watch any NFL game, on tv preferably. What are my options? Is gamepass my only option to accomplish this? Its my understanding that the direct tv nfl ticket is like stream/device only.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
You can get a package with Red Zone but as far as entire games, I believe Gamepass is your only legal option.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Waroduce posted:

I have Comcast, and want to be able to watch any NFL game, on tv preferably. What are my options? Is gamepass my only option to accomplish this? Its my understanding that the direct tv nfl ticket is like stream/device only.

Direct TV Sunday ticket can stream to a console (XBox 360/XBox One, PS3/PS4), a tablet, a phone, or a computer.

The computer or tablet/phone can potentially be connected to a TV.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
What the poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jp4TeP4rw0s

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
That's pretty awesome isn't it? Screw that broadcaster for getting to see it live twice, and screw the NFL for blowing the whistle dead after a block or turnover on an extra point.

Here's the first one he was talking about by the way. No one has any idea at all what is going on here and they're all completely sure the refs screwed up.

e: So to explain further in case someone doesn't get what's going on. In college ball you can return a blocked extra point or two point try turnover for two points yourself (in the NFL the ball is immediately dead if the offense loses possession). So if you get the ball in the field of play and then for whatever reason go back into the end zone you're defending and get tackled there it's a one point safety.

In theory I believe you could get a one point safety on the kicking team, but it would take a ridiculous play where the ball is turned over, run all the way down the field by the defense, then fumbled close the goal line and picked up by the offense in the field of play and then run back into their own end zone. So you could have a 20-1 final score in a perfect storm of weird rear end poo poo happening.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 08:28 on Jul 19, 2014

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Grittybeard posted:

e: So to explain further in case someone doesn't get what's going on. In college ball you can return a blocked extra point or two point try turnover for two points yourself (in the NFL the ball is immediately dead if the offense loses possession). So if you get the ball in the field of play and then for whatever reason go back into the end zone you're defending and get tackled there it's a one point safety.

Pedantry time! I love pedantry time. This is as accurate as you'll ever need to know it if you don't have to actually call it, mind you; this is pretty much the edgiest of edge cases that you're ever likely to see. Feel free to scroll down to the next :siren: , I'm mostly doing this to make sure I've still got the rules straight in my head.

So, the same rule (it's called impetus) applies as at any other time in the game for determining who's considered responsible for putting the ball in the end zone. The first impetus in both cases is the field goal, so Team A (that's the kicking team, in non-rulebook-speak) has responsibility for where the ball goes next.

Next thing to consider: by rule, any blocking of the kick does not change the impetus. So, if Team A's punting from their own end zone, and the punt is blocked back over the end line, that's a safety (to not punish Team B for making a good play).

The ball is kicked, and some things happen. In order to add fresh impetus, a team must either kick the ball at any time in the field of play, or deliberately bat it after it has struck the ground in the field of play, or make any contact with it after it comes to rest in the field of play, or complete the process of gaining possession in the field of play.

In the field of play is an important thing to understand; it is not possible to change the impetus once the ball enters the end zone, which is part of why why this such a huge edge case.

The last thing that's potentially relevant here is something called the momentum exception, which kills off the rest of the plays that would otherwise trigger this pile of bullshit and result in a safety. If you are within five yards of your own goal line, and you gain possession of the ball, and your momentum from gaining possession of the ball then carries you into your own end zone, you get possession at the spot where you completed the process of gaining possession.

If you're wondering why this exists, think of a cornerback who's got position on his receiver, he's sprinting back to his own goal line, he catches the ball standing upright at his 4-yard line, the momentum of his sprint carries him a few yards deep in his end zone and he gets tackled. Again, Team B's just made a great play and they shouldn't be put in a position where it's obviously better to bat the ball down than intercept it.

However, in both of the 1-point safeties, somehow Team B's managed to fail to trigger any of these get-out-of-jail-free cards. K-State takes possession outside the end zone, completes the process, and carries the ball back in under his own power, after any momentum from gaining possession has expired. They're now responsible for putting it there, it's not a touchdown when the ball is dead, so that's a safety.

A&M's situation is slightly different; they gain possession outside the end zone, and then throw a backward pass that finishes up dead in the end zone in their possession. Again, it's now their fault for putting it there, it's not a touchdown, so it can only be a safety.

(Now, for extra bonus points: the Texas/A&M game has been transported into the instant replay era, you're the replay official. Is the ball still being held by the holder when the kicker kicks it, and does that actually matter to anything?)

:siren:

Trin Tragula fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jul 19, 2014

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Trin Tragula posted:

(Now, for extra bonus points: the Texas/A&M game has been transported into the instant replay era, you're the replay official. Is the ball still being held by the holder when the kicker kicks it, and does that actually matter to anything?)

:siren:

I'll bite. The holder dropping the ball makes it a fumble and an illegal kick, negating the entire play.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKLKbpWLHJ8&t=241s

It's pretty obvious from this angle. The ball bounced a couple times and the holder never did have control of it. It was kicked off the ground.

Deteriorata fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jul 19, 2014

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Right, that's pretty clear. So now:

1). Are you allowed to tell the referee?

2). Assuming for a moment that you are, how much would it matter?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Trin Tragula posted:

Right, that's pretty clear. So now:

1). Are you allowed to tell the referee?

2). Assuming for a moment that you are, how much would it matter?

This I have no idea real about, as I know very little about review protocol. I assume I push the buzzer indicating the play should be reviewed, or perhaps it should be reviewed automatically due to being a scoring play.

I presume the white cap has the final say, regardless.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

It's an interesting one. I would say that it potentially is; even though you're reviewing a foul, I would interpret it, were I so minded, as "I'm not reviewing a foul, I am reviewing whether or not the ball was being controlled by the holder when it was struck by the player", and then booting "was the ball kicked deliberately?" back to the R's judgement; and all of this falling under the "replay can fix an egregious error" clause.

And since we're in NCAA-land, the replay official has the final say on what he's reviewing and whether it's reviewable, but when you're dealing with this kind of edge case it's not entirely impossible that the white hat might tell the replay official where to go for being too smart for his own good, and come back with "stands".

(Oh, and if you're going to finish this all with a foul, the penalty for illegally kicking a loose ball includes a loss of down, which would end the try, so yes, it does matter, this directly concerns the score in a close game.)

Trin Tragula fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Jul 19, 2014

Shangri-Law School
Feb 19, 2013

Why were the Tampa Bay teams named after the area rather than one particular city?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Cruel and Unusual posted:

Why were the Tampa Bay teams named after the area rather than one particular city?

That's usually a marketing decision, whether associating with the town or the region will bring in more fans.

The New England Patriots were originally the Boston Patriots, while baseball's Miami Marlins started as the Florida Marlins; the changes go both directions.

It's all about selling tickets and commercial time. Whatever the owners think will work best.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
And sometimes the owners just can't make up their goddamn mind and we end up with the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

Cruel and Unusual posted:

The Bucs were the first major pro team here and went by Tampa Bay because the city of Tampa itself wasn't a big enough deal to merit "owning" an NFL team, so they went with the regional name.

As the population exploded in the area and they built The Trop in St Pete to lure an existing MLB team but eventually settled for the expansion Devil Rays, it was probably decided by some marketing head that it wouldn't make sense for the MLB team to be named after the weak sister of the Tampa/StPete combo, so they stuck with Tampa Bay.

One of the major newspapers was recently rebranded from the St Petersburg Times to the Tampa Bay Times, as well as the arena in downtown Tampa that shares the name.

So yes, for years the Tampa Bay Lightning played home games at the St Pete Times Forum in Tampa.

Florida is weird.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

skaboomizzy posted:

The Bucs were the first major pro team here and went by Tampa Bay because the city of Tampa itself wasn't a big enough deal to merit "owning" an NFL team, so they went with the regional name.

As the population exploded in the area and they built The Trop in St Pete to lure an existing MLB team but eventually settled for the expansion Devil Rays, it was probably decided by some marketing head that it wouldn't make sense for the MLB team to be named after the weak sister of the Tampa/StPete combo, so they stuck with Tampa Bay.

One of the major newspapers was recently rebranded from the St Petersburg Times to the Tampa Bay Times, as well as the arena in downtown Tampa that shares the name.

So yes, for years the Tampa Bay Lightning played home games at the St Pete Times Forum in Tampa.

Florida is weird.

Eh, its no more weird than the New York teams playing in New Jersey, or any of the large number of city named teams that actually play in some suburb 20 miles outside the city.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Both of the sites in the OP seem to have been shut down, is there a go-to place for cheap jerseys? I'd like to get a Lions one before the first real game of the season when my optimism inevitably dies :(

• Locked thread