Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

So...in the distant future of 2015 or 2016, when the player base diminishes to post-apocalyptic levels, what will people do to regain humanity and summon NPCs/players to help fight bosses? Grind areas until they get 1 of the 10 humanity points available while the boss is still alive? What will happen when entire regions are uninhabited by living, breathing human beings, and humanity truly becomes a finite resource? Will there be a point where an area is impassible because a foolish player has exhausted all of their humanity and can no longer summon NPC assistance? What will come of us, then?

Not gonna happen, this game is making people look at other games and wish they were more like Dark Souls, it's going to be as unsinkable as Mega Man or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

So...in the distant future of 2015 or 2016, when the player base diminishes to post-apocalyptic levels, what will people do to regain humanity and summon NPCs/players to help fight bosses? Grind areas until they get 1 of the 10 humanity points available while the boss is still alive? What will happen when entire regions are uninhabited by living, breathing human beings, and humanity truly becomes a finite resource? Will there be a point where an area is impassible because a foolish player has exhausted all of their humanity and can no longer summon NPC assistance? What will come of us, then?

I played through pretty much the entire game offline. v:shobon:v

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Did this ever convert to Steamworks or is it still GFWL?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

quote:

:words:

Hmmm...so it would seem that the player-apocalypse has been greatly overstated, then. I was just wondering, mostly because I got the impression that a lot of people couldn't beat certain bosses without summoning help.

Space Hamlet posted:

The fellow in special elite knight looking armor with a red cape and I killed each other at the same time. I didn't miss out on any cool drops, I hope?

Edit: Ah, nope, he's back.

I've done that before, too. I was ambushed by that whiny little "knight" that hangs out by the Firelink Shrine bonfire towards the beginning of the game. It completely caught me off guard because I had already been through the area 6 or 7 times and ordinarily there weren't any hostiles in that particular part. Timed a final attack just a little too slow and poked him with my halberd as he poked me with his weapon, and we both died at the same time. It's a real shame, because I hate that guy and really wanted to dance over the dust of his corpse.

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening
Ahaha I totally asked that question in the wrong thread, whoops! I was asking about a guy in the new DS2 DLC. Yeah, there are NPCs in DS1 with unique drops that you can accidentally lose forever by knocking them off a cliff or something - that's really sucked for me in the past. They seem to have smoothed that out in the sequel, so hey.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
That can still happen in the sequel. :v:

Also, the Crestfallen Warrior has no drops, just a soul reward. Poor guy.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

poptart_fairy posted:

Did this ever convert to Steamworks or is it still GFWL?

The only thing they've said about it is that Dark Souls will remain functional with GFWL "for the foreseeable future" and that they're looking at alternatives.

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening

Azran posted:

That can still happen in the sequel. :v:

Also, the Crestfallen Warrior has no drops, just a soul reward. Poor guy.

Oh, really? I'd never encountered it, but now that I think about it, I guess it would apply to the Catarina guy, huh?

Bonfire ascetics make that less of a pain though, at least.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Space Hamlet posted:

Ahaha I totally asked that question in the wrong thread, whoops! I was asking about a guy in the new DS2 DLC. Yeah, there are NPCs in DS1 with unique drops that you can accidentally lose forever by knocking them off a cliff or something - that's really sucked for me in the past. They seem to have smoothed that out in the sequel, so hey.

If you reload the game I'm pretty sure their drops will be there. Like if you kill Lautrec by kicking him off the cliff just reload and his drop should be where he was sitting.

edit: resting at a bonfire before reloading might cause them not to spawn though, not sure

Space Hamlet
Aug 24, 2009

not listening
not listening
Yeah it does work with Lautrec, but I'm pretty sure I lost Sanctus that way in a game where I wanted it. I may be wrong tho

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

be happy :3

Welp, beat Ornstein & Smough in NG+ with a white phantom, only problem was that on first try I accidentally died when Super-Smough was two or three hits away from death when I hosed up my heavy attack timing and got buttstomped to death from full health. Shouldn't have been a retard and tried to kill Smough with the Black Knight Greatsword heavy attack. Wish there was an "I'm sorry" emote or something in the game.
edit: since I summoned the same guy twice

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

SpiritOfLenin posted:

Welp, beat Ornstein & Smough in NG+ with a white phantom, only problem was that on first try I accidentally died when Super-Smough was two or three hits away from death when I hosed up my heavy attack timing and got buttstomped to death from full health. Shouldn't have been a retard and tried to kill Smough with the Black Knight Greatsword heavy attack. Wish there was an "I'm sorry" emote or something in the game.
edit: since I summoned the same guy twice

You should play the DLC.

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

be happy :3

Oh wait, was one of those voice rocks "Sorry"? Totally forgot about them to be honest.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Bogart posted:

You should play the DLC.

Those are the best things about the dlc

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Hmmm...so it would seem that the player-apocalypse has been greatly overstated, then. I was just wondering, mostly because I got the impression that a lot of people couldn't beat certain bosses without summoning help.

I'm only about 1/3 to 1/2 (I'm doing some things a bit out of order) in the Sequel, but I'd consider the second game in more "Need" of NPC help than this one just by virtue or how many more normal enemies and bosses will kill you from full health in 1 or 2 attacks at 1,300 health and as much armor possible before fat roll. Even if I have stubbornly gone without so far, just like I did this game. But, at the very least you are pretty much always able to try and scrounge up some humanity items when you need them in this game.

It's not like you can run out of rats by killing them a handful of times, then need ANOTHER finite consumable item to respawn the rats (who now have a 5% drop rate), while your healthbar max goes down with every death, and you get invaded while hollow. I still have like, 40 effigies or something... Now that I am past the very very start of the game and not dying with 3 effigies to my name stubbornly fighting the first two bosses at half health.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jul 28, 2014

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

You never need NPC help. You take more damage but enemies are also a lot simpler in general and you can move faster. Not as much wind up on your attacks. I'd say it's the easiest of the three, even if you divorce it from previous experience with the series.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Desht posted:

Welp I did it. Killed Smough instead of Ornstein. Kinda disappointed in myself. Was trying to kill the royal sentinels before running in and then got invaded. Ran in anyway without Solaire.

But its done. For now...

Congratulations, you are now over the hump and NOTHING in the game will ever quite challenge you as hard as those two did. Sure there'll be rough and frustrating patches and fights that will push you to the limits. But O&S is basically the point where you prove you are the chosen one, that you deserve to save* or destroy the world.

* I'm pretty sure "saving" the world is just destroying it in a different fashion.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I played through both games completely offline first and solo, so it's definitely doable, it just takes more time and banging your head against some bosses (Gwyn and loving Bed of Chaos without knowing about the nearest bonfire in DS1 and Smelter Demon in DS2 :bang: ).

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

what the hell? Dark souls has given up the ghost for me. Yesterday it worked fine, today it crashes at startup with no exceptions. Tried compatibility mode. Tried verifying integrity of game cache. Tried redownloading. Disabled Dsfix. Nothing works. Game also takes ages to start up (it crashes in the beginning, when you get a black screen while loading). Also doesn't seem to produce a crash log, no surprise there.

The hell is going on?

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
Your PC is going hollow.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
That was weird. Set my white marker down by the first bonfire in Blighttown to help my brother with it. He's taking a while to make his way down as its his first time doing it, so I'm just chilling by the fire waiting. Suddenly I'm being told I'm invading another player's world and spawn near the fire as a red phantom. Message the dude explaining that I wasn't trying to invade everyone, and notice he and the white phantom with him are in full Havels loving around with dragon greatbows down on a ledge beneath me. Forgot about the separation crystal, end up rolling off a bridge and quitting because we've been trying to play for an hour and I didn't feel like running back from the Depths again. It shouldn't be possible to invade if I've just got a white marker down, right? Didn't have any cracked orbs on my belt or anything.

e: Oh. Wiki says:

quote:

There is an infrequent bug that sometimes causes players to be summoned as the wrong kind of phantom. It is possible to use the white sign soapstone and get summoned as an invader, but it is a rare occurrence. This also applies to invasions and summons of all kinds, not just the soapstone.

That's pretty dumb.

Desht
Oct 21, 2008
Well I beat the game. Didn't really expect that point of no return, thought I could finish up the DLC after that last boss. I guess I'll just have to play it through on NG+. Darn.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Is there an active console thread, or is this just the all-purpose Dark Souls thread?

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

Austrian mook posted:

Is there an active console thread, or is this just the all-purpose Dark Souls thread?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3439963

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Okay, so another question: Periodically, I'll randomly have a golden glow surround me (accompanied by a sound), immediately followed by my Estus Flask gaining an additional use. It can happen pretty much whenever--whether I'm sitting at the bonfire or AFK in a quiet hallway. What's the deal here?

EDIT: Also, a couple of these white circles just randomly appeared. Can't interact with them, and my "heal" spell icon had a circle superimposed on it at the same time.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I believe that means that someone kindled the bonfire you last rested at. Kinda like how you're healed when someone rates a message you've left.

The white circles boost the power of miracles. Or at least healing ones, dunno if they affect the damaging ones.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Manatee Cannon posted:

Kinda like how you're healed when someone rates a message you've left.

I'm reasonably sure this doesn't actually happen. There was once a rumor that you get a humanity when someone rates a message and it ended up with a ton of "need humanity" messages being spammed everywhere in hopes of people rating them. But it turns out that rumor is false, and you get exactly nothing for having your messages rated.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Yeah, the "rating message heals author" is a dark souls 2 thing (and maybe demon souls, not sure?)

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I haven't played Dark Souls online in a long time but having your message rated does heal you in Demon's Souls and Dark Souls 2. I don't see why it would be different for this one game.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Oh so that is what those "need humanity" messages meant. I thought that it was people saying the upcoming battle was super-hard and you needed humanity to summon support or something.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Jerusalem posted:

Oh so that is what those "need humanity" messages meant. I thought that it was people saying the upcoming battle was super-hard and you needed humanity to summon support or something.

I thought they were there used for when you need it to summon someone or to up your Curse resist.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I'm about ready to just cheat myself a balder side sword. Grinding sucks

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Why do people go to such great lengths for the bss, it can't possibly be so much better than just getting used or acquiring upgrade materials for your other favorite weapon?

Action Tortoise posted:

I thought they were there used for when you need it to summon someone or to up your Curse resist.
That's how i always use them. Also occasionally to point out locations for NPC summon signs (only visible when human). Don't let a few misguided spammers stop you.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I ground that and every other weapon in the game out on PS3 because there was a trophy for it. :saddowns: One of maybe four games I've ever bothered getting all the achievements/trophies for.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Manatee Cannon posted:

I haven't played Dark Souls online in a long time but having your message rated does heal you in Demon's Souls and Dark Souls 2. I don't see why it would be different for this one game.

There is an invisible counter that goes upwards whenever you kill an enemy and when you kill enough, in an area where you have not yet killed the boss, you are awarded a humanity. You get an extra estus flask for having someone kindle the bonfire you were sitting at last.

There has never been a point where you just get healed out of nowhere in Dark Souls.

RoadCrewWorker posted:

Why do people go to such great lengths for the bss, it can't possibly be so much better than just getting used or acquiring upgrade materials for your other favorite weapon?

A +5 fire zweihander is a little better than it in raw damage, but being split between physical and fire can be a bit bad, I guess. I don't think it will measure up against a +5 chaos zweihander.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.

Manatee Cannon posted:

I ground that and every other weapon in the game out on PS3 because there was a trophy for it. :saddowns: One of maybe four games I've ever bothered getting all the achievements/trophies for.

You don't need the BSS for any achievements :v:

Flumpus
Jul 22, 2007

blackguy32 posted:

I'm about ready to just cheat myself a balder side sword. Grinding sucks

What level are you?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

I've gotten probably 3 or 4 of those balder side swords by simply wearing the covetous serpent ring and fighting the five Balder knights around the Undead Parish half a dozen times. Do people prefer the BSS or that Estoc? I'm focusing mainly on a strength build, so I'm not using either, but the weirdness of the Estoc has me interested.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I've gotten probably 3 or 4 of those balder side swords by simply wearing the covetous serpent ring and fighting the five Balder knights around the Undead Parish half a dozen times. Do people prefer the BSS or that Estoc? I'm focusing mainly on a strength build, so I'm not using either, but the weirdness of the Estoc has me interested.

People generally use the Balder Side Sword over the Estoc because the BSS will do more damage and overall has a less janky and more versatile moveset, though the Estoc will do a bit more damage on ripostes and backstabs by virtue of being a rapier weapon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

EightBit posted:

You don't need the BSS for any achievements :v:

That's why I put :saddowns: in there.

• Locked thread