Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

ToxicSlurpee posted:

At the time CGI was still expensive, tedious, and limited in what it could do. Practical effects were preferred whenever possible because they were cheaper. Computers were also not nearly as powerful as they are now. It's actually mind bending what sorts of stuff people could accomplish with nothing but real world stuff and it's sad that the movie industry is so heavy on CGI these days. Real things had more weight to them and looked more real because they, you know, were, and dealing with the limitations of reality also forced movie makers to get more creative. Yeah, a lot of poo poo came out too, but a monster doesn't need to be the size of a building to be scary.

To add to the conversation, here are some Dark Crystal gifs.

None of this movie was CGI. NONE OF IT. Absolutely all of it was puppets. ALL OF IT.

I miss Jim Henson so much :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Captain Bravo posted:

I wonder what they told her to make her do that scene? How did they pitch that in a way that wasn't just "Listen, teenage boys will love that poo poo, and we need that demographic, so just get in the drat leotard"?

"Look, it's in your contract: it's either this scene, or we have to do the trans-vaginal-warp-crisis episode."

e:

Crusher? I hardly know 'er!

Bad Munki has a new favorite as of 22:41 on Jul 28, 2014

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.
To break up the "T2" gifs, have the opening to this gem.

Derek Jarman did the set and costume design work on this film by the way.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

Captain Bravo posted:

I wonder what they told her to make her do that scene? How did they pitch that in a way that wasn't just "Listen, teenage boys will love that poo poo, and we need that demographic, so just get in the drat leotard"?

I just saw this episode the other day, and it is pretty ridiculous, and to make it even steamier Marina Sirtis joins in like 5 seconds later.

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

kinmik posted:

Thanks RD, you're a beaut.

Have some nature right up your sinuses.

Holy poo poo I didn't see the guy shaking the tree at first. Sitting here thinking "How did I get to this age without knowing trees could do this?"

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

On the one hand, I'm disappointed you didn't include this:

But on the other hand, I'm glad I could be the one to include it. :v:

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

veedubfreak
Apr 2, 2005

by Smythe

Every time it loops I laugh harder.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The funniest part about this is that they were too lazy to even create a new set for it. It's just the hallway with a couple of mirrors.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007

muscles like this? posted:

The funniest part about this is that they were too lazy to even create a new set for it. It's just the hallway with a couple of mirrors.
Isn't that like 90% of "Star Trek" sets ever? Move a few things around the bridge/hallway and call it a new part of the ship.

Doctor Bishop posted:

Ya, I got a request. Please do the scene where the T-1000 unintentionally has his hand take on the texture of a guardrail and then flaps it back to normal. :gay:

Aaaaaaand that's it for "T2". I'll do a few from "Total Recall" next, but I'll wait til tomorrow to post them.

As a bonus, check out these super-low gas prices!

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Captain Bravo posted:

As far as I know, she and Marina Sirtis were having some sort of feuding catfight, so the writers made them do this. I guess the objective was to say "Knock it off or there will be more humiliation"?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Robert Denby posted:

Aaaaaaand that's it for "T2". I'll do a few from "Total Recall" next, but I'll wait til tomorrow to post them.

Didn't they cut all this stuff from the final film?

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
/edit: ^^^^^ HAH! I wasn't imagining it!

Was that scene in the original release? I can't remember either the hand bit or the camera tilt during the part where T1000 is masquerading as Sarah and John figures out which one is the fake because the T1000 is glitching on the grates on the floor. I recall seeing those scenes when we fired up the bluray a few years ago and thinking "oh, they hint at him glitching... wait, I never saw this!"

Then again, I saw it on theaters when I was 10, so my memory may not be reliable. :v:

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007

Didn't they cut all this stuff from the final film?

Edmond Dantes posted:

Was that scene in the original release? I can't remember either the hand bit or the camera tilt during the part where T1000 is masquerading as Sarah and John figures out which one is the fake because the T1000 is glitching on the grates on the floor. I recall seeing those scenes when we fired up the bluray a few years ago and thinking "oh, they hint at him glitching... wait, I never saw this!"

Then again, I saw it on theaters when I was 10, so my memory may not be reliable. :v:
Back in 1993, James Cameron put together a longer version for laserdisc that added about 15 minutes, including that scene. The 'Skynet Edition' Blu-Ray and the Ultimate Edition DVD have the option of watching either the theatrical cut or this 'Special Edition'. One release (I think the Ultimate Edition) had the option for an 'Extended Special Edition' that added a scene of the T-1000 searching John Connor's room and a terrible alternate ending with Linda Hamilton in old-age make-up at a playground with her grandchild stating that Judgement Day never happened.

EDIT: This site, which has :nws: ads gives a rundown of the added scenes. You have to scroll down a bit to get to them.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Robert Denby posted:

EDIT: This site, which has :nws: ads gives a rundown of the added scenes. You have to scroll down a bit to get to them.

Yeah, I remember that ending from the "special features" or something, but it really struck me as odd that they removed the T1000 glitching since it's... 31 seconds? 18 if you only use the scene with the hand glitch and John looking down; in the original cut you never see how John realizes Sarah is actually the T1000, he just sees the other (the real) Sarah and dives out of the way when she tells him to, but there's no real reason for him to trust that Sarah over the T1000. The other removed scenes are just flavour and I can see them being removed to trim the 'fat' as it were from the final cut, but that one is just weird.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Edmond Dantes posted:

Yeah, I remember that ending from the "special features" or something, but it really struck me as odd that they removed the T1000 glitching since it's... 31 seconds? 18 if you only use the scene with the hand glitch and John looking down; in the original cut you never see how John realizes Sarah is actually the T1000, he just sees the other (the real) Sarah and dives out of the way when she tells him to, but there's no real reason for him to trust that Sarah over the T1000. The other removed scenes are just flavour and I can see them being removed to trim the 'fat' as it were from the final cut, but that one is just weird.

It's only thirty seconds, but it's thirty seconds dropped into the climax of the film. Thirty seconds can totally kill a scene's momentum, and those extra bits really don't do any service to the plot, anyway.

Also the T1000 would never tell John to "get down," so that's pretty much all he needs to come to a decision about which Sarah is real or fake.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

VendaGoat posted:

I could only imagine Kermit narrating this and now I want a muppets remake of Labyrinth with Kermit as Jareth.
Michael Jackson was originally considered for the role of Jareth!

Gifs of stuff.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Say Nothing posted:

Michael Jackson was originally considered for the role of Jareth!

Thank goodness we dodged that bullet, that would have been a hugely wrong choice.

e: also that poor baby

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Bad Munki posted:

Thank goodness we dodged that bullet, that would have been a hugely wrong choice.

e: also that poor baby

The Dance magic dance scene :stonk:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Edmond Dantes posted:

I think part of the problem with the T1000 glitches is that they don't really explain it in the movie. So you'd just have the audience confused as to why he wasn't working right all of a sudden.

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

I think part of the problem with the T1000 glitches is that they don't really explain it in the movie. So you'd just have the audience confused as to why he wasn't working right all of a sudden.

The part where he got frozen solid in liquid nitrogen, smashed into a million pieces and then reheated by a puddle of molten steel didn't clue you in? Rapidly going from one temperature extreme to another is bad for electronic products.

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Captain Bravo posted:

I vaguely remember some quote about how they'd pissed off the producers or costume designers at some point and that scene, or at the very least the absurd outfits, was some kind of revenge.

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast

BANME.sh posted:

But he actually injured a bunch of cops. And would two half-casualties equal 1.0 casualty? How would you be able to tell if that was two leg injuries or one death? The whole thing is very ambiguous.

He capped a bunch in the knees, but that was after mini-gun madness. Or it could just be assessing the number present divided by the number killed, which would likely end up in non-whole numbers in the form of #.# instead of .## format.

Never mind the fact that a terminator, let alone anything at Skynet analyzing the data off it later would even need a visual interface to begin with.

Robert Denby posted:

As a bonus, check out these super-low gas prices!

Philip J Fry has a new favorite as of 05:46 on Jul 29, 2014

Valar Morghulis
Jul 20, 2014

All Men Must Die

:roflolmao:

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
An appropriate and reasoned response. :colbert:

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

Bad Munki posted:

Did we mention Labyrinth during the practical effects discussion? Because this just popped up on imgur:

I brought it up in the post where I accidentally started the CGI discussion shitstorm. I don't care what flaws people say they see in that movie, it ruled. The puppets ruled, the sets ruled, the contact juggling ruled, and Bowie's pants ruled.

David Bowie's package deserved an Oscar for Best Supported Actor.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Can someone do me a solid and avatarize this?

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

Fandyien posted:

Best I could get:

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Someone has had that as an avatar in the past, I don't know if that person still has it. Just a heads up, should you be proponent of unique avatars.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

For what it's worth, I'm pretty sure someone already has that as an avatar.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

Best I could get:

Thanks!

IUG posted:

For what it's worth, I'm pretty sure someone already has that as an avatar.

Mierenneuker posted:

Someone has had that as an avatar in the past, I don't know if that person still has it. Just a heads up, should you be proponent of unique avatars.

Shucks. I'm not sure it really matters, but since peeps in this thread are so quick and useful with this stuff, could anyone maybe also avatarize this so I have an alternative?

Tia

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods

Fandyien posted:

Thanks!

Shucks. I'm not sure it really matters, but since peeps in this thread are so quick and useful with this stuff, could anyone maybe also avatarize this so I have an alternative?

Tia

Bam:

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

FredMSloniker posted:

An appropriate and reasoned response. :colbert:

For what it's worth you can seriously gently caress someone up doing that. A friend of mine used to be a firefighter until someone set off a siren in his ear, and caused total hearing loss and even a TBI, to the extent that he's on permanent disability because he can't even stand up straight by himself. Granted that's about 5dB louder than one of those canned air horns, but if someone set one of those off in my ear my initial reaction would be to lay him out.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Looks like somebody had Mr. T's motivational children's tape growing up!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxKeBJCeYgo&t=1187s

Soopafly
Mar 27, 2009

I have a peanut allergy.

Fandyien posted:

nooo you bitch

edit- I totally don't care, we can be weirdo av twins.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

Phanatic posted:

For what it's worth you can seriously gently caress someone up doing that. A friend of mine used to be a firefighter until someone set off a siren in his ear, and caused total hearing loss and even a TBI, to the extent that he's on permanent disability because he can't even stand up straight by himself. Granted that's about 5dB louder than one of those canned air horns, but if someone set one of those off in my ear my initial reaction would be to lay him out.

:ssh: I am pretty sure he was serious, as anyone who has had some rear end in a top hat blow an airhorn into their ear, or knows anything about how easy it is to suffer permanent hearing loss, will absolutely lay a motherfucker out for that poo poo. I have a minor case of tinnitus due to loud cars, firearms, and raves and am pretty paranoid about what's left of my hearing. You make my ears ring and you're going to find your ears ringing as well, for a slightly different reason.

• Locked thread