Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pablo gbscobar
Nov 24, 2007

oh shit i got the snype

:wom:
Lipstick Apathy

I'm seriously tempted to buy this shirt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

StrifeHira posted:

WELP.

Dragon Ball Heroes gives a new teaser for Super Saiyan 4 Broly.

I know it's probably just the lighting and way he's posed and stuff, but SSJ4 Broly looks an awful lot like a Vampire.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

StrifeHira posted:

WELP.

Dragon Ball Heroes gives a new teaser for Super Saiyan 4 Broly.

Also Time Patrol Trunks is showing up too, for a Dr. Wheelo mission, good to see Dragon Ball Online getting some more recognition (Xenoverse has him in too).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6V2SlIaTjs&t=11s

That's kinda funny because by combining a movie character and a GT concept they've created something I could not give a gently caress about any less. I have ascended to a level beyond apathy.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.
They sure are pushing GT a lot in that game, considering Toriyama obviously intends to invalidate it as much as possible.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Surfer Rosa Parks posted:

I'm seriously tempted to buy this shirt

Fixed, and that shirt is awesome. You had a ? and query parameter after the image location.

So I was talking to my wife while driving to my brother in laws birthday party, and we were talking about random poo poo. DBZ came up, and she refused to go to the new movie in theaters. But more to the point, Kami came up. Piccolo fused with Kami, pretty much becoming whole again, but really, who was Kami before Kami?

Was his name just Kami before? Was he just DESTINED to become a god of Earth?

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Drowning Rabbit posted:

Fixed, and that shirt is awesome. You had a ? and query parameter after the image location.

So I was talking to my wife while driving to my brother in laws birthday party, and we were talking about random poo poo. DBZ came up, and she refused to go to the new movie in theaters. But more to the point, Kami came up. Piccolo fused with Kami, pretty much becoming whole again, but really, who was Kami before Kami?

Before he split he was just the "Nameless Namekian." We never learn his original name. Though, it being Piccolo would make sense since Kami is more of a title.

EDIT: Also, he wasn't really whole after the fusion. Our Piccolo is more of an offspring or reincarnation of the original Piccolo half. So Kamiccolo isn't as powerful as he would of been had he rejoined with King Piccolo.

Esroc fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jul 27, 2014

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Esroc posted:

They sure are pushing GT a lot in that game, considering Toriyama obviously intends to invalidate it as much as possible.

There are two good reasons for that. A lot of the ideas, like Super Seventeen and SSJ4, are cool on the surface without the terrible writing that muddies it up, and even for the ideas that aren't so great, it's still a huge free pool of already created characters and scenarios.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

WickedHate posted:

There are two good reasons for that. A lot of the ideas, like Super Seventeen and SSJ4, are cool on the surface without the terrible writing that muddies it up, and even for the ideas that aren't so great, it's still a huge free pool of already created characters and scenarios.

I'll drink to that. I've always felt SSj4 was badass and viewed it as an interesting fusion between a Saiyans human half and Oozaru half. I'd be happy if Toriyama officially introduced it at some point (even if only to invalidate it with a stronger form).

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Drowning Rabbit posted:

He's the Nameless Namek / Son of Katas. Then he met the previous Guardian who rejected him from being the New Guardian because of the hatred in his heart. So he separated into two beings.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Esroc posted:

I'll drink to that. I've always felt SSj4 was badass and viewed it as an interesting fusion between a Saiyans human half and Oozaru half. I'd be happy if Toriyama officially introduced it at some point (even if only to invalidate it with a stronger form).

If we can ditch the eyeliner and make the fur look a little less ridiculous I'd be okay with this.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Captain Oblivious posted:

If we can ditch the eyeliner and make the fur look a little less ridiculous I'd be okay with this.

Yeah, seriously. I've always been okay with the concept of SS4 but its execution has and always will be utterly ridiculous. It goes way too far to be intimidating and not far enough to be intimidating in a DIO way.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Esroc posted:

Yeah, I'd be cool with that too. I always thought it was weird that GT treated SSJ4 like a fully new level of Super Saiyan anyway, given it was pretty clearly just a controlled form of the Golden Oozaru. Hell, it was even pretty clear what with it being as much of a fusion as you note. Having it spun as some kind of "Ultimate Oozaru" form and making a SSJ4 that (somehow) follows the progression of 1-3 better would work.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Surprised SSJ4 gets love in this thread. I always hated that thing and was glad when Toriyama phased it out of canon.

visceril
Feb 24, 2008
It was nice that the oozaru form got some love, considering how cool it was in dragonball and early z

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
The idea of combining the two transformations of the Saiyan race is cool in concept but absolutely nothing about the way it was handled in DBGT was good. It mostly only gets "love" based on what could have been.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

WhiffleballDude posted:

The idea of combining the two transformations of the Saiyan race is cool in concept but absolutely nothing about the way it was handled in DBGT was good. It mostly only gets "love" based on what could have been.

Well, of course. Like I said, the bad writing muddies it all up, but the concept itself is still kickass.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
I generally think Dragonball would have been better if they never introduced nothing past the original Super Sayajin, but yeah, combining that transformation and the great ape transformation is actually pretty cool. It also makes a lot more sense than simply SSJ 2/3. I mean, the 12 year old in my loving loves the third transformation, but its also pretty bad story telling.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
In my opinion, SS2 was pretty great as a culmination to Gohan's development, and SS3 was hilarious because of how utterly useless it turned out to be. You can't even use it unless you're dead or fused, and either way it's so draining it somehow reduces magical timers.

So of course in all other material it's just a flat out better transformation because ???

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Kild posted:

He's the Nameless Namek / Son of Katas. Then he met the previous Guardian who rejected him from being the New Guardian because of the hatred in his heart. So he separated into two beings.

If I remember it correctly, he took the name Piccolo because it opened his spaceship/house. He became a fairly powerful warrior and the Guardian of the Earth told him he would have offered him the position if he was pure of heart, so Piccolo split in half right there, one part pure, the other... Well. Piccolo kept his name while the pure part became the new God, Kami of Earth.

Kami literally means god in Japanese, or at least deity, so it's a strange untranslated artifact that is just curious to look at now. Which is why when Piccolo and Kami fuses, he isn't Piccokami as Goku suggested, but keeps the Piccolo name. It was his to begin with.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

BlitzBlast posted:

In my opinion, SS2 was pretty great as a culmination to Gohan's development, and SS3 was hilarious because of how utterly useless it turned out to be. You can't even use it unless you're dead or fused, and either way it's so draining it somehow reduces magical timers.

So of course in all other material it's just a flat out better transformation because ???

In my theoretical remake of DBZ the concepts of ascended and Ultra Super Saiyans would be gone and SS2 would literally be a maxed out SS that only really Gohan can achieve, and ditch SS3 entirely (Maybe just let Gotenks have long hair to keep the visual) and ditch incremental Super Saiyan levels entirely once Gohan unlocks/ultimates/mystifies. And keep Goku dead.

Mordaedil posted:

Which is why when Piccolo and Kami fuses, he isn't Piccokami as Goku suggested, but keeps the Piccolo name. It was his to begin with.

Kamiccolo, please. :colbert:

Szmitten fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Jul 29, 2014

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Mordaedil posted:

If I remember it correctly, he took the name Piccolo because it opened his spaceship/house. He became a fairly powerful warrior and the Guardian of the Earth told him he would have offered him the position if he was pure of heart, so Piccolo split in half right there, one part pure, the other... Well. Piccolo kept his name while the pure part became the new God, Kami of Earth.

Kami literally means god in Japanese, or at least deity, so it's a strange untranslated artifact that is just curious to look at now. Which is why when Piccolo and Kami fuses, he isn't Piccokami as Goku suggested, but keeps the Piccolo name. It was his to begin with.

I had figured Piccolo was likely his original name, and he inherited the title of Kami, and just took that on as his name when he split. But yeah, the fact that Kami means god is only really jarring in Battle of the Gods when they talk about Dende as Kami(God) and everyone is taken aback. It provokes a kind of knee jerk reaction.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

e X posted:

I generally think Dragonball would have been better if they never introduced nothing past the original Super Sayajin, but yeah, combining that transformation and the great ape transformation is actually pretty cool. It also makes a lot more sense than simply SSJ 2/3. I mean, the 12 year old in my loving loves the third transformation, but its also pretty bad story telling.

SSJ2 wasn't really SSJ2 when it was introduced - it was just Gohan flipping the hell out.

That whole saga, everyone was trying to make a better SSJ form, and Goku/Gohan realized that it was better to just stay SSJ and control it as much as possible. Then, when Gohan got reallllyyyy mad and released everything, all his power was shown with electricity and slightly spikier hair.

The Buu saga was basically making fun of the series at that point, so Goku came up with what he called "SSJ3" just to explain it to Buu, which was a lovely transformation that didn't really make him much more powerful than Vegeta when everything is said and done (look at the jump from everyone to Gohan, and Vegeta to Goku - ie. "oh, now I might be around equal to the weakest Buu form, as opposed to getting beat up but not immediately killed by that form." Gotenks was a walking joke, so, of course he could do it as well, and, again, he accomplished basically nothing special with it either.

Toei and fans made a bigger deal about further SSJ transformations than necessary. I think they started the labeling back when Gohan went SSJ2 in the first place, and we thought of things in RPG terms back then, so framed any single thing as a "level up."

I also like the idea of SSJ4 (releasing, then controlling the Oozaru), but the execution was so, so bad.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I agree in part, in particular that SSJ2 wasn't labelled as such when it first debuted, but I don't agree that it isn't its own transformation. Goku and Vegeta agree there is a level above SSJ, and Goku knows Gohan can unlock it. While it originally wasn't 'SSJ2', saying it's just a SSJ that's let everything go is a bit disingenuous.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Darko posted:

SJ2 wasn't really SSJ2 when it was introduced - it was just Gohan flipping the hell out.

That whole saga, everyone was trying to make a better SSJ form, and Goku/Gohan realized that it was better to just stay SSJ and control it as much as possible. Then, when Gohan got reallllyyyy mad and released everything, all his power was shown with electricity and slightly spikier hair.

The Buu saga was basically making fun of the series at that point, so Goku came up with what he called "SSJ3" just to explain it to Buu, which was a lovely transformation that didn't really make him much more powerful than Vegeta when everything is said and done (look at the jump from everyone to Gohan, and Vegeta to Goku - ie. "oh, now I might be around equal to the weakest Buu form, as opposed to getting beat up but not immediately killed by that form." Gotenks was a walking joke, so, of course he could do it as well, and, again, he accomplished basically nothing special with it either.

Toei and fans made a bigger deal about further SSJ transformations than necessary. I think they started the labeling back when Gohan went SSJ2 in the first place, and we thought of things in RPG terms back then, so framed any single thing as a "level up."

I also like the idea of SSJ4 (releasing, then controlling the Oozaru), but the execution was so, so bad

That was my suspicious as well, but I never found any information confirming it.

And yeah, you can tell when basically every single fan idea for the last 20 years was SSJ X! Fusion is a much more interesting concept and I love the Buu saga simply for those shenanigans. We live in a poorer world because we never got to see Gotan.

e X fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Jul 29, 2014

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Wasn't the dub saying it was Ascended Super Sayian? I recall something like that and I agree with Darko that wasn't really "levels" of SSJ2. I really enjoyed the whole aspect of that oh you can power up like crazy but you just end up really slow. Too bad Trunks learned the hard way. It goes to show that just because you have the higher power level doesn't mean you always win.

Hell did even Cell said that yeah you are way stronger than me, but you are so slow so you can't even hit me.

Also again in the camp of the SSJ4 concept was neat but really just sucked.

Everything about GT sucked. The fact they are combing two worst aspects of dragonball is bad enough.

(yes Brolly sucks. :colbert: )

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Shindragon posted:

Wasn't the dub saying it was Ascended Super Sayian? I recall something like that and I agree with Darko that wasn't really "levels" of SSJ2. I really enjoyed the whole aspect of that oh you can power up like crazy but you just end up really slow. Too bad Trunks learned the hard way. It goes to show that just because you have the higher power level doesn't mean you always win.

Hell did even Cell said that yeah you are way stronger than me, but you are so slow so you can't even hit me.

Also again in the camp of the SSJ4 concept was neat but really just sucked.

Everything about GT sucked. The fact they are combing two worst aspects of dragonball is bad enough.

(yes Brolly sucks. :colbert: )

Brolly is like Dragonball, as written by my mom.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

I liked Broly. He reminded me of a blonde Hulk. A force of nature that got more powerful the more you fought it. My only reservations are how they handled every defeat of him. It's always him being physically beaten somehow, when that goes against everything established about the character.

Broly should have been the one villain who couldn't be punched into submission. They should have been forced to use a wish or some other way of ending the threat that involved outmaneuvering him. I know that goes against DBZ's punchman's anime style, but from a purely character perspective fighting Broly should have been equated to punching a tornado. You don't hit it, you get the gently caress out of the way and try to mitigate the damage.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

Darko posted:

SSJ2 wasn't really SSJ2 when it was introduced - it was just Gohan flipping the hell out.

Actually, it was considered a sort-of separate form back then, not just Gohan being mad as hell. What's more, it was technically called "Super Saiyan (Grade) 5," continuing with the description of the other "upgrades" (the bulked out but still fast 2, the hulkingly powerful but slow as gently caress 3, and the "full power"/Super Saiyan at all times 4). It was still thought of as being a "Super Saiyan," just at its supposed maximum power. Kanzenshuu has a big ol summary of this and more.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Esroc posted:

They should have been forced to use a wish or some other way of ending the threat that involved outmaneuvering him. I know that goes against DBZ's punchman's anime style, but from a purely character perspective fighting Broly should have been equated to punching a tornado.
Yeah Broly would do better in a manga or anime where say, wishing he'd chill out and be allowed to be happy would calm him down, then the next chapter would just be Broly eating corn dogs and riding a ferris wheel with Goku before doing karaoke of Rock the Dragon.

But yeah the Toei movies are is punch? punch!

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
The best Broly Story is Supersonic Warriors 2, where after being beaten up by Goku and friends he comes to Earth only to fall on his head and forgets being evil. He then teams up with Mr. Satan as tag team partners.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

Mr. Maltose posted:

The best Broly Story is Supersonic Warriors 2, where after being beaten up by Goku and friends he comes to Earth only to fall on his head and forgets being evil. He then teams up with Mr. Satan as tag team partners.

Further proof that Mr Satan is the best character. :colbert:

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Mr. Maltose posted:

I can just imagine the ensuing legal snafu when Broly, not realizing his super strength, accidentally turns an opponent into hamburger. :allears:

visceril
Feb 24, 2008
So, Broly, how was that hookup last night?

Dudes....I fuckin' wrecked her.

Nice!

No, you don't understand.....I actually wrecked her. There was so much blood

Aw man that bar skank was a virgin? No way

No that's not what I'm talking about I literally obliterated her pussy

Ok stop bragging already it's getting old

~fin~

I hope you enjoy

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009

visceril posted:

Nice!

~fin~

I hope you enjoy

Wow. You've got some issues, man.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

visceril posted:

Nice!

~fin~

I hope you enjoy

The gently caress is this, mate?

visceril
Feb 24, 2008
Sorry I left out the title: Toei employs Judd Apatow, or "what if DBZA was more like the test of YouTube?"

SirDrone
Jul 23, 2013

I am so sick of these star wars
That's still better fanfiction then this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jaSZggVIVis

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

visceril posted:

KAKAROTTO!!!!!!!

pile drives everybody in the bar and the planet

Fixed

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

SirDrone posted:

That's still better fanfiction then this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jaSZggVIVis

Paragus posted:

"Ooooh! Perished at the hand of my own son, not that! Oh, why has destiny conspired against me so tragically?!"

Amazing. I want Shakespearean DBZ now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

HGH posted:

Amazing. I want Shakespearean DBZ now.

Fie! How dost thou not dodge?

• Locked thread