Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
My Welsh Republic game has me making 300+ gold per month, and I'm still leaching trade posts off of Pisa. I dumped 5k in assassination attempts against aquitaine and France and it didn't make a dent in my reserves. I also have almost 100k archery posted in 20k stacks on or near the borders of anyone I can war. My demense is upgraded fully, excluding the holdings I've built but only because there hasn't been enough time. I started in 1066 and it's 1200 now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
Incidentally, is there a known issue with army models showing up wrong? Camels appear as horse archers and everything but generic Arab horse archers all appear as what I assume are western European models. It's strange.

Pinball
Sep 15, 2006

Thanks for the FAQ in the first posts, they're very helpful. It's amazing how lovely the tutorial is; I played through them all and then tried to start the game as the Byzantines, who were classified as easy according to the game, and then quickly grew so frustrated at getting constantly attacked by the Seljuks and not really knowing what to do with the whole complicated edifice that I quit. I'll have to try again playing as Ireland and see if I can figure it out. Of course, part of the problem is that I'm terrible at strategy games. Even Medieval 2 Total War was difficult for me.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Pakled posted:

I had a game where I started as a Greek Orthodox republic in Sicily and ended up taking over the Byzantine Empire while keeping it as a republic. By the time I consolidated my power, I had a 20k Cataphract retinue that could single-handedly defeat any army other than Mongol doomstacks on its own and capture holdings immediately and was making more money than I knew what to do with.

I haven't played a Republic game since then, but if I do I'm going to limit myself more, because Republics are just so incredibly overpowered.

I'm actually playing the Republic of Amalfi myself and going more or less in those same footsteps, except I ended up converting to Catholicism and taking advantage of Crusades to counter the Islamic invasion of Greece. It's a remarkably interesting position, what with the highly central location, divided cultures and religions amongst patricians, and general ability to strike out in any direction you please for whatever purpose you desire.

Current plan is to stomp out the last stubborn remnants of the Byzantine Empire so I can finally declare myself an imperial republic - they absolutely refuse to die and have been held by the Makedon dynasty the whole drat time despite having lost the entire empire to first the Arabian Empire and then to myself. Every time I think they've been beat down enough for one of the reformed Tengri Balkan states to finish them off, they pull an army out of their rear end or an alliance with the western kingdoms and pull through somehow. It'd be impressive if it weren't so infuriating.

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

Pinball posted:

Thanks for the FAQ in the first posts, they're very helpful. It's amazing how lovely the tutorial is; I played through them all and then tried to start the game as the Byzantines, who were classified as easy according to the game, and then quickly grew so frustrated at getting constantly attacked by the Seljuks and not really knowing what to do with the whole complicated edifice that I quit. I'll have to try again playing as Ireland and see if I can figure it out. Of course, part of the problem is that I'm terrible at strategy games. Even Medieval 2 Total War was difficult for me.

The difficulty stuff is bullshit, never listen to it. It counts having vassals as making the game easier, when you could really have one super duke who kicks you around and fragments the realm at will.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

TaurusTorus posted:

The difficulty stuff is bullshit, never listen to it. It counts having vassals as making the game easier, when you could really have one super duke who kicks you around and fragments the realm at will.

On the topic of superdukes, a distant cousin has somehow inherited his way to holding 3 duchies and a bunch of counties under them. What can I do to knock him down a peg or three? Is fabricating duchy claims my only option?

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Excommunication, eating the tyranny and just imprisoning and banishing him, building outside alliances and biding your time until he revolts and you can crush him, or manipulating inheritances such that he is your next player character. Also never not :ese:

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

TaurusTorus posted:

Excommunication, eating the tyranny and just imprisoning and banishing him, building outside alliances and biding your time until he revolts and you can crush him, or manipulating inheritances such that he is your next player character. Also never not :ese:

If he revolts there's no chance he won't be crushed, and I think he knows that. I may just eat the tyranny and banish him, then. Despite being a young mid 30s my ruler is constantly ill, stressed, and gets pneumonia every so often so I doubt he'll reign long. The downside is I'm guaranteed to lose a couple of king crowns to gavelkind since I just usurped them and probably won't live long enough to change crown laws.

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014

paranoid randroid posted:

Incidentally, is there a known issue with army models showing up wrong? Camels appear as horse archers and everything but generic Arab horse archers all appear as what I assume are western European models. It's strange.

Yes, the last patch introduced that.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

ThePutty posted:

I want to get into Lux Invita, but holy poo poo is it overwhelmingly huge. Is there some sort of summary that's not 10 pages long that explains what the gently caress is up with the world in this mod?

I've been playing Lux for a bit and I don't pay attention to any of the overarching world stuff. It sounds kind of cool, but I had the same reaction to it as you. I'd recommend just picking whatever location you want and see if you like it. There's so many different religions now that even the boring places in vanilla are interesting to play as. The areas around Greece and Italy are fun and I'm liking the Druid Ireland game I'm doing now. It can be slow in the beginning since you often start out with only one or two counties, but you usually have tons of holy war opportunities since your neighbors are all different religions.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Captain Novolin posted:

My Welsh Republic game has me making 300+ gold per month, and I'm still leaching trade posts off of Pisa. I dumped 5k in assassination attempts against aquitaine and France and it didn't make a dent in my reserves. I also have almost 100k archery posted in 20k stacks on or near the borders of anyone I can war. My demense is upgraded fully, excluding the holdings I've built but only because there hasn't been enough time. I started in 1066 and it's 1200 now.

How did you become a Welsh Republic? Or do you mean you have vassalized Republics?

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

Captain Oblivious posted:

How did you become a Welsh Republic? Or do you mean you have vassalized Republics?

I used the console to make one of the mayors a Duke and then played as him. I've been using the console pretty liberally, but only to keep my vassals as mayors, which I would have been doing anyway.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Captain Oblivious posted:

I realize this is not the method he used, but here's a guide :

Any duchy can become a republic without any console tomfoolery. It's not 100% but it works a good 90% of the time for me.

1- Revoke the city in your capital county.
2- Give it to your heir.
3- Make sure your capital county and duchy is your ONLY county and your only duchy.
4- Try to imprison one of your vassals. If you succeed, release him. Do this until he revolts.
5- Try to imprison your heir. If you succeed, release him. Do this until he also revolts.

This is the important step - by making your heir revolt, you've given him a temporary title equivalent to your own - duchy level. He is considered a Patrician.

6- Pause the game.
7- Jack up the game speed to maximum.
8- Surrender to your other vassal (NOT to your heir)
9- Unpause

Congrats, when the surrender hits the game will freak out, spawn 4 other Houses and you're now playing as a Republic led by your heir.

now entering North Dakota
Feb 22, 2013

Fun Shoe

Excelzior posted:

I realize this is not the method he used, but here's a guide :

Any duchy can become a republic without any console tomfoolery. It's not 100% but it works a good 90% of the time for me.

1- Revoke the city in your capital county.
2- Give it to your heir.
3- Make sure your capital county and duchy is your ONLY county and your only duchy.
4- Try to imprison one of your vassals. If you succeed, release him. Do this until he revolts.
5- Try to imprison your heir. If you succeed, release him. Do this until he also revolts.

This is the important step - by making your heir revolt, you've given him a temporary title equivalent to your own - duchy level. He is considered a Patrician.

6- Pause the game.
7- Jack up the game speed to maximum.
8- Surrender to your other vassal (NOT to your heir)
9- Unpause

Congrats, when the surrender hits the game will freak out, spawn 4 other Houses and you're now playing as a Republic led by your heir.

I thought they fixed this with the latest patch? Or, at least, I haven't been able to pull it off anymore. Not really sure though.

e: Never-mind, I stand corrected

now entering North Dakota fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Jul 29, 2014

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Dunatis Ishmael posted:

I thought they fixed this with the latest patch? Or, at least, I haven't been able to pull it off anymore. Not really sure though.

I just fired up the game to make sure and yup, still works. Occitan republic of Gascogne in Ironman.

Pester
Apr 22, 2008

That reminds me, is a basque republic still locked into agnatic elective succession?

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Pester posted:

That reminds me, is a basque republic still locked into agnatic elective succession?

Sadly. There is a patrician = no line in there.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Pester posted:

In effect, yes. Republics have their own special succession rules that prevents women from ever inheriting a patrician title.

It also isn't exactly elective. Patricians can actually designate their own heirs by handing out the honorary title "designated heir." Whenever the doge dies the next doge is selected from his heir and whoever is heading the other four houses at the moment based on prestige, which is a mix of actual prestige, the age of the guy, and how much money was spent on the election. You can just kind of pick dudes with really good traits then buy elections forever.

The Mighty Biscuit
Feb 13, 2012

Abi gezunt dos leben ken men zikh ale mol nemen.

SeaTard posted:

Sadly. There is a patrician = no line in there.

I'm not sure if it would fix it, but you could just delete that little line. :v:

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Does anyone have a dropbox/whatever download link for the latest Lux build? I want to give it a spin but I'm too impatient to wait for the official release and too lazy to try setting up SVN.

E: I have PMs if that helps.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

The Mighty Biscuit posted:

I'm not sure if it would fix it, but you could just delete that little line. :v:

That does work, my personal mod has ag-cog as an option for republics (and non-Abrahamic theocracies), which is fun. Every now and then I'll notice a little girl running a republic, so it probably broke something.

Sam.
Jan 1, 2009

"I thought we had something, Shepard. Something real."
:qq:

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

Ofaloaf/Samm any updates on the post-apoc mod? I've been super excited to play it.

Characters are filled in now for everything east of the Mississippi, except Canada. Ofaloaf is still getting his computer fixed AFAIK. I'm taking a bit of a break. Klonself is working on fixing a major bug, where anyone who gets assassinated by plot is shown as their own killer instead of the actual killer.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

Captain Novolin posted:

I used the console to make one of the mayors a Duke and then played as him. I've been using the console pretty liberally, but only to keep my vassals as mayors, which I would have been doing anyway.

You don't need to use the console to do that, I think. Certainly whenever I run a holy war, the local city automatically becomes my capital. If you pass the county title to the local mayor in a newly acquired province, it should automatically flip the new capital to the city, if you're a republic.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
I think I may have found a use for religious education: small, vassal muslim starts. If your liege makes you his imam, you get some nice piety bumps from converting counties and collaring heretics. It's not great and you probably get better results from any other education, but I guess its something. Takes the sting off that -50 piety cost for conquesting against other muslims when you have crap piety income, at least

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Religious educations are for making your cadet branches wimps.

TaurusTorus fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Jul 29, 2014

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Religious education at the start of the game can be quite useful, giving you a head start in tech point accumulation.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Was the patricians not building trade posts thing ever addressed?

Edison was a dick
Apr 3, 2010

direct current :roboluv: only

Bloody Pom posted:

Does anyone have a dropbox/whatever download link for the latest Lux build? I want to give it a spin but I'm too impatient to wait for the official release and too lazy to try setting up SVN.

I have a Git mirror if that would be easier :haw:

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Edison was a dick posted:

I have a Git mirror if that would be easier :haw:

:justpost:

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
So, I'm king of Aquitane, Ireland and something in Spain. One of my relatives has a claim on the kingdom of England. The tooltip says if I press the claim of one of my dynasty members, he'll become my vassal. However, since I'm king-level, another king can't be my vassal right? So if I press that claim, my dumb cousin or w/e will become king and I'll have gained nothing?

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Was the patricians not building trade posts thing ever addressed?

The patricians are definitely slow to build trade posts compared to a human player, but once they've got a reasonable income flow going they can manage a fairly respectable pace. Whoever manages to take the lead in trade posts usually grows exponentially quickly compared to his rivals, though.

Also, starting as a republic in the Old Gods start gimps the AI to hell, since you usually don't have enough trade tech to build more than like one trade post. You really need a human player to become Doge and use tech points to remedy that, and humans are usually much more capable of stockpiling enough cash to decisively control trade zones once you pop the tech, while the AI is still weak and lethargic. They do catch up eventually, but by that point a canny human player will have more or less dominated the Republic.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

beedeebee posted:

So, I'm king of Aquitane, Ireland and something in Spain. One of my relatives has a claim on the kingdom of England. The tooltip says if I press the claim of one of my dynasty members, he'll become my vassal. However, since I'm king-level, another king can't be my vassal right? So if I press that claim, my dumb cousin or w/e will become king and I'll have gained nothing?

Yes.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

beedeebee posted:

You'd have gained a permanent alliance! Which you'll need to honor over and over again in order to keep your weak claimant on his throne while his powerful dukes (including no doubt the usurped king) rebel repeatedly.

That said, there might be some advantages to installing your claimant anyways - if you pick up an empire title later, all you'd have to do is to invite a claimant from the English court of your dynasty, and then press THAT guy's claim, as opposed to needing to futz around with forging whole new claims or marriage ploys later.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Tomn posted:

The patricians are definitely slow to build trade posts compared to a human player, but once they've got a reasonable income flow going they can manage a fairly respectable pace. Whoever manages to take the lead in trade posts usually grows exponentially quickly compared to his rivals, though.

Also, starting as a republic in the Old Gods start gimps the AI to hell, since you usually don't have enough trade tech to build more than like one trade post. You really need a human player to become Doge and use tech points to remedy that, and humans are usually much more capable of stockpiling enough cash to decisively control trade zones once you pop the tech, while the AI is still weak and lethargic. They do catch up eventually, but by that point a canny human player will have more or less dominated the Republic.

I have painted half of Europe with my trade empire and 2 original patricians have never built a post despite plenty of cheap real estate in my realm.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
If my (awesomely skilled) Chancellor has already fabricated a claim on the capital county of a duchy, is he still able to fabricate a claim on the duchy if I leave him there? Does anyone know the mechanics of this? I have him in a 7-county megaduchy I'd like to snatch up from the HRE along with a different duchy I already have a claim on. What I don't know is whether my chances are better moving my Chancellor around from county to county, or leaving him in the duchy capital in the hopes he comes up with a duchy claim.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

beedeebee posted:

Then you marry your heir to their heir to unite the Kingdoms for the mild penalty of their offspring possibly being inbred idiots!

Inside Outside
Jul 31, 2005

How long does it take to be able to set up an anti-pope after one has been forcibly deposed? It feels like I've been waiting for decades and I just can't do it, not even now that there's some random little girl set up as one.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Inside Outside posted:

How long does it take to be able to set up an anti-pope after one has been forcibly deposed? It feels like I've been waiting for decades and I just can't do it, not even now that there's some random little girl set up as one.

I think it's 50 years or a save edit.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Inside Outside posted:

Hate to sound like a broken record but I gotta ask again: Is there some secret to getting the depose antipope CB to show up? The HRE has had one for like 300 years now and the game will not let me use that CB on him, it just isn't there no matter how often I check.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Eric the Mauve posted:

If my (awesomely skilled) Chancellor has already fabricated a claim on the capital county of a duchy, is he still able to fabricate a claim on the duchy if I leave him there? Does anyone know the mechanics of this? I have him in a 7-county megaduchy I'd like to snatch up from the HRE along with a different duchy I already have a claim on. What I don't know is whether my chances are better moving my Chancellor around from county to county, or leaving him in the duchy capital in the hopes he comes up with a duchy claim.

I usually leave him on the capital and wait for a duchy claim. Although I usually buy the county claim too anyway, in case my king gets gonorrhea or something before the duchy claim comes through and I want to get at least something before he dies.

• Locked thread