Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Last event I considered awake until it ended but gently caress staying up til 5am. I did hang in until about 4, then managed to drop from <120 to ~190 in that last hour. Final push on events is a bitch. I'm not going for a third card this time.

Legit jealous on that massive whaling also. I still don't even have 1 UR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GodofDiscord
Sep 5, 2013

Not the strongest, but the cutest.
So I downloaded this game a couple of hours ago... and it's not half-bad. It's a pretty nice rhythym game with some catchy J-Pop and I'm down for that. I haven't ever seen Love Live, but I was pestered to get this game. It helps that it's free!

Oh yeah my ID is: 110364224

If anything, this game is an okay-ish time waster, obviously not for everybody.

GodofDiscord fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Jul 27, 2014

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
I didn't read the schedule for EX songs closely enough. I didn't realize that Snow Halation and Bokura no LIVE were going to end on the same day, and I have neither those nor Natsuiro full comboed yet! Help, my perfectionism is in danger.

Okay, it's not really perfectionism when one spends gems to refill stamina.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

I didn't manage to full combo Yujo no Change before it went away. Close, but just this one note I never could get right. I don't have high hopes for Snow Halation either.

GodofDiscord posted:

I haven't ever seen Love Live

Cute show. Pretty standard nerd bait, but it's well-made and entertaining. I liked it, in any case v:shobon:v

Snow Halation
Dec 29, 2008

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

I didn't read the schedule for EX songs closely enough. I didn't realize that Snow Halation and Bokura no LIVE were going to end on the same day, and I have neither those nor Natsuiro full comboed yet! Help, my perfectionism is in danger.

I'm not even close to getting a Full Combo at any of the EX songs.

ReidRansom posted:

I don't have high hopes for Snow Halation either.

SunoHare on EX is a monster! A monster, I tell you!

I was thinking about starting a LL! megathread in ADTRW, but I don't know if I want to put in the work. There's just so much stuff to cover, even if I kept it to the basics. Anime, games, live concerts...

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

ReidRansom posted:

Cute show. Pretty standard nerd bait, but it's well-made and entertaining. I liked it, in any case v:shobon:v
The series had some moments with the most absurd anime expressions I think I've ever seen.

Snow Halation posted:

I was thinking about starting a LL! megathread in ADTRW, but I don't know if I want to put in the work. There's just so much stuff to cover, even if I kept it to the basics. Anime, games, live concerts...
There was one thread for the first season of the anime, but it sank into the Archives of obscurity. I don't think I've ever seen a thread about Idolm@ster though, if that gives you any idea of what ADTRW is like.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
I've resigned myself to never full-comboing any of the EX songs (was 3 good and a miss away from doing it on Natsuiro), but at least they are fun and a good source of exp and event badges.

Snow Halation
Dec 29, 2008

There was one thread for the first season of the anime, but it sank into the Archives of obscurity. I don't think I've ever seen a thread about Idolm@ster though, if that gives you any idea of what ADTRW is like.

Yeah, I'm fully aware what ADTRW is like. 'Manly' stuff like JoJo's and mecha are the order of the day.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Sort of? I wouldn't say that was necessarily the case either. There are followings of Pretty Cure and The World God Only Knows over there, :justpost: to get your favorite thing started. It might take longer than other threads to pick up on pace, but that's the only difference.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

They haven't added any new Rs yet, have they? I'm overflowing with friend points and have everything but a couple of the newer Ns max leveled. Have pretty much all my Rs up to skill level 3 or 4 also. Guess I could try to max skill them, but there are only a few I actually use, so :effort: I guess they'll be good for speed leveling the next SR/UR I may get from another 50 pull, but aside from that they feel kind of useless now.

Felling less unsure about Snow Halation now too. Up to B combo and improving.

Snow Halation
Dec 29, 2008

ReidRansom posted:

They haven't added any new Rs yet, have they?

Nope. There are a few assist R cards coming up (similar to Alpaca), then expect to be in for a long wait. Japan has just 21 R cards that we don't, and 18 were only added this Spring (a set of promo cards that came with the 2nd Season OP single, and a set of Snow Halation cards.)

Sort of? I wouldn't say that was necessarily the case either. There are followings of Pretty Cure and The World God Only Knows over there, :justpost: to get your favorite thing started. It might take longer than other threads to pick up on pace, but that's the only difference.

Actually, I'm one of the main Precure followers. Magical girls are my favorite thing ever.

Snow Halation fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Jul 29, 2014

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
They tell me one of my best personal qualities is my energy.

57 attempts :suicide:

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

If it makes you feel better, I've passed 100 and still haven't gotten more than a B :v:

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
It's all good. Much of what kept me going was enjoying all my hilarious mistakes. Accidentally stabbing my one thumb with the other, my phone slipping out of my hands, itching, sweating, soreness, and that one annoying thing where adrenaline from the rush of clearing the wall of rings and nearing the end of the song locks up my hands and prevents my muscle memory from playing out evenly. you name it, it's happened.

Snow Halation
Dec 29, 2008

Congrats! I don't even have a C combo on EX Natsuiro yet. This is the first rhythm game I've ever played, though.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Dammit, I'm getting close. Still, even were those 4 greats or perfects instead of goods, I wouldn't have S ranked it on score because my blue team just isn't very good.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
That song is really reminding me to use my right thumb to hit the center position.

Note that this is a rule that applies to all songs in SIF, all maps assume you are doing this.

I got into the habit of using my left thumb because the capacitative buttons on the right side make it slightly harder to stretch across from over there.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler

Gah, so close. I should stop stubbornly using just one hand since it'll just make it harder to complete the coming EX songs that will have even higher difficulty, but when I've gotten this far it feels like I'm giving up if I do that.

The only song I've done with both hands was Happy Holiday due to all the bomb icons around the halfway point causing me to lose 1/3 of my attempts.

AG3 fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Jul 31, 2014

Snow Halation
Dec 29, 2008

I've been using my index fingers only. The center button usually gets mapped to the right hand, unless I'm already tapping a button on that side.

Phew, slid in under the wire on that second Honoka card on the mid-900s. I did a lot better in the song ranking, entirely due to my awesome team. Made it into the Top 100!

Snow Halation fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Jul 31, 2014

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Hell yes I full comboed my last Expert song. I'd like to thank my personal trainer, my family, the Communist Party, and my three Perfect Lock skills for being there when I needed them in that single-double eighth note transition in Snow Halation.

Now I'm a bit miffed at the lack of new songs since the end of the last event. From what I understand, this is following the one update in the Japanese version where they made some backend changes and spruced up a couple of card artworks, but what the gently caress KLab, you decided to go ahead with skipping the UR patch progression, why not skip ahead to new songs too?

finalcake
Oct 5, 2002

CHESTO~!!
I'm surprised I didn't find this thread sooner!

I've been playing for a while(around near the end of the Umi event), and the most I've done is FC Otome Shiki...which was a struggle in itself, my phone ain't what she used to be. I wish I didn't hate the card system because it's a neat idea, but having it actually affect scoring = no S-rank scores for the last couple Pure or Cool songs until I get at least an SR card for either. At least the rhythm game portion is fun enough.

The timing for some of these songs are weird though, even if I know the patterns for them. Like I have to switch my brain to DDR Extreme notechart mode, especially for songs like Mermaid Festa 2.

beaner69
Sep 12, 2009
Lol at you nerds, I can't even pass EX Snow Halation. :negative:

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
I need to find that one pic again where some guy had nine holes in an arc worn/burned into his phone's screen protector.

Aku posted:

I wish I didn't hate the card system because it's a neat idea, but having it actually affect scoring = no S-rank scores for the last couple Pure or Cool songs until I get at least an SR card for either. At least the rhythm game portion is fun enough.

The timing for some of these songs are weird though, even if I know the patterns for them. Like I have to switch my brain to DDR Extreme notechart mode, especially for songs like Mermaid Festa 2.

There certainly have been some weird design decisions. My score ranking in Pure songs/events is relatively garbage because the game tells me I haven't handed over enough gems to it to possess more green SR cards, and all Pure Rs are healers only, for some reason.

Then there are the parts on songs where some patterns look like they had extra hits tacked onto them just to make them less...boring I guess? while other parts contain missed opportunities for flourishes if you compare them to the actual music.

Sidesaddle Cavalry fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Aug 2, 2014

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

There certainly have been some weird design decisions. My score ranking in Pure songs/events is relatively garbage because the game tells me I haven't handed over enough gems to it to possess more green SR cards, and all Pure Rs are healers only, for some reason.

Same, but for Cool. I've got pretty decent green (5 SRs, 3 of them idolized) and red (1 UR finally :woop: and 5 SRs, 2 of them idolized) teams, but for blue all I've got for SRs is the event Umi that I didn't bother chasing a second card on and an unidolized Eli. I can put up some decent numbers on Smile and Pure, but I struggle on Cool. Like, full combo with a UR friend and some incredible luck on skill activations still isn't going to earn me S rank on Snow Halation EX unless I get some better cards.

ReidRansom fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Aug 2, 2014

Snow Halation
Dec 29, 2008

Here's my current card collection. For some reason, I seem to attract Nozomi SR cards.

beaner69 posted:

Lol at you nerds, I can't even pass EX Snow Halation. :negative:

Don't feel too bad. The only reason I passed it once was because I used a Loveca.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler
My Snow Halation runs ends half the time with my stamina bar pulsing red, one third in the green and the last third in utter failure. I don't play it much though because the constant events makes me stick to runs I can do better for maximum event badge efficiency, so I haven't really gotten much practice at it.

I was surprised at how easy Wonder Zone was on hard. It only took me 4 tries to full combo, versus 15-40 for most of the later hard songs. I still drop the combo sometimes though because I forget the sudden slowdown in rythm that pops up every so often and tap way too early.

AG3 fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Aug 6, 2014

beaner69
Sep 12, 2009

Snow Halation posted:

Don't feel too bad. The only reason I passed it once was because I used a Loveca.

I had to do that too. BTW, does Maki sound different in the new story to anyone else?

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

beaner69 posted:

I had to do that too. BTW, does Maki sound different in the new story to anyone else?

Her voice actress might have been recording with a different studio setup than before maybe? :shrug: Her voice has always had a wide range.

I'm really behind on this week's event thanks to less time and no expert songs to motivate me to grind tokens. Diamond Princess no Yuutsu is boss, though.

Snow Halation
Dec 29, 2008

Diamond Princess no Yuutsu is boss, though.

BiBi is the best mini-unit, by far.

https://vimeo.com/101537017

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Fortunately time isn't an issue for me on this one. Have two more days at my current job, then taking a week off before I start a new (and far better) one. And my GF is going back to Lebanon for a few weeks to visit family before fall semester starts, so I've got dick all else to do but go to the gym, take care of my fish, and tap anime girls' faces.

No expert songs kinda sucks though.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Snow Halation posted:

BiBi is the best mini-unit, by far.
My opinion on anime waifus and their actresses-turned-idols? BiBi's allowed to perform like that to fit character. Umi could just have easily replaced Nico for more than just Soldier Game, but she was locked into becoming Lily White's foundation. Maki should just drop all pretenses and join A-RISE already, she already looks the part. Honoka is pigeonholed into the super-affected high voice too much, and she ought to do more stuff like in Wild Stars. :goonsay:

Nico manages to fit into everything because she's allowed to have the widest range of energy and intensity, from jaded to ridiculously naive.

basically if you're listening broccoli, emitsun, mimorin and jolno need to do a trio together

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

I was looking ahead a couple events and after school NAVIGATORS is loving :megadeath:

except for the lyrics, which are very silly. It's all snacking on waffles and ramen instead of raw goat hearts or whatever. Still, my new favorite song.

ReidRansom fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Aug 10, 2014

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Managed to make enough event points to grab the SR despite not playing for three days. Looks like I'll have saved enough free gems for a full 10+1SR card draw tomorrow as well, though it's very unclear just what the upcoming rare student pool will be updated with after this maintenance.

finalcake
Oct 5, 2002

CHESTO~!!
This event and post-event has been amazing for me. Got the SR Eli, and then I got an Honor Scout ticket which I traded for this:

I was doing backflips when I saw the envelope come out. Then I traded in the 50 gems I farmed for a Cool SR Maki. Now I can finally S-grade those remaining Pure and Cool songs I've been getting mad about.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

I've never pulled anything good off a ticket. But I didn't even make the cutoff for one this event anyhow. That's how weak my cool team is.

Managed to make enough event points to grab the SR despite not playing for three days. Looks like I'll have saved enough free gems for a full 10+1SR card draw tomorrow as well, though it's very unclear just what the upcoming rare student pool will be updated with after this maintenance.

Didn't play for three days at the beginning, or end? If the latter, you must've worked your way out to a hell of a lead early on. I played my last song around 2 am central and managed to drop from rank ~400 to ~750 in the final three hours.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
The last push this time was really brutal. I didn't get any scouting tickets at all. Works fine for me, because now I'm sitting on 59 free gems.

However, as cheeky as this vvv is, I might wait another two weeks to use them.

Either Nico is a Body Snatcher, or Nozomi is literally Kirby.

Chapter 10 of the voice blurbs has really stepped it up, it seems.

Sidesaddle Cavalry fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Aug 16, 2014

Snow Halation
Dec 29, 2008

Now that all three of my teams are completely SR+UR, I'm gonna spend way less money on cards. I have a trip to Japan next year that I need to save for.

Kayo-chin event starts today. The card is so cute. I've gotta make sure to get two.

The last push this time was really brutal. I didn't get any scouting tickets at all. Works fine for me, because now I'm sitting on 59 free gems.

However, as cheeky as this vvv is, I might wait another two weeks to use them.

Either Nico is a Body Snatcher, or Nozomi is literally Kirby.

Chapter 10 of the voice blurbs has really stepped it up, it seems.

Save those gems. The September cards are awesome, among my favorites in the game. Kotori and Umi get the UR cards.

Arcaeris
Mar 15, 2006
you feed the girls to other girls

:stare:
Oh, I have had this for ages in Japanese. It's where my red title is from, I compared leveling in this game to PAD.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Girl cannibalism is a violation of phone game character human rights.

Snow Halation posted:

Now that all three of my teams are completely SR+UR, I'm gonna spend way less money on cards. I have a trip to Japan next year that I need to save for.

Kayo-chin event starts today. The card is so cute. I've gotta make sure to get two.

Save those gems. The September cards are awesome, among my favorites in the game. Kotori and Umi get the UR cards.

Good idea, I just took a look at them as well. Meanwhile, I replace the anticipation of finally getting new cards and cutting down my 8 million-gold stash down to size with more excruciating song grinding for gems. The two new (old?) Expert songs didn't seem to have very many BS notes, so I just full comboed the both of them, one today and one two days ago. Let it be repeated again that Perfect Lock is the best skill and every team on every song can use it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Oven Wrangler
I've managed to full combo Baby Maybe, but the Aishiteru Banzai full combo is still eluding me with only a B rating after 19 attempts. I agree there aren't any BS parts in either of them, so it's just a matter of lucking out with Locks or, well, just stop messing up on random parts for a whole attempt. That's what bothers me the most really; it's not particularly hard but I still cannot stop making random mistakes that break the combo.

• Locked thread