Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

dennyk posted:

You kids and your fancy shiny GUIs and rounded buttons and poo poo...thank god that with the Windows Classic theme, a few other settings changes, and 7 Taskbar Tweaker, you can make Windows 7 look and behave the correct way (i.e. just like Windows 95). :colbert:

Sorry to hear about your crippling mental disorder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roseo
Jun 1, 2000
Forum Veteran

Erwin posted:

Sorry to hear about your crippling mental disorder.

Ten years from now, people will be installing applications for Windows 2025 that provide the Metro UI that Microsoft ripped out.

Langolas
Feb 12, 2011

My mustache makes me sexy, not the hat

Roseo posted:

Ten years from now, people will be installing applications for Mac OS XV that provide the Metro UI.

I had to fix that, this Apple fad is just going to keep getting worse and worse. Just like the Beats by Dre fad

Ticket came in, sales guys cant do their job and want me to configure ipv6 routes for them. Look at the table and see they have a more specific default route than the static routes they are trying to utilize and implement.

:smith:

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Langolas posted:

Ticket came in, sales guys cant do their job and want me to configure ipv6 routes for them. Look at the table and see they have a more specific default route than the static routes they are trying to utilize and implement.

:smith:

How can the default route be more specific than anything? It's the least specific by definition.

Also, sales guys configuring routers, or are these "sales engineers"?

Langolas
Feb 12, 2011

My mustache makes me sexy, not the hat

SamDabbers posted:

How can the default route be more specific than anything? It's the least specific by definition.

Also, sales guys configuring routers, or are these "sales engineers"?

Oh yes sales engineers. The device let them set it up totally fubar (not a router, but a server that they trunked ports to it). I don't know how they did it but instead of a normal default route like we are used to, it forced in the subnet for the next hop gateway and anything that doesnt match that subnet wont work anymore that doesnt need a next hop.

I just don't even know what they did, but I'm not fixing it for them.

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?
On the subject of Windows shortcut keys, I'm forever finding that people don't know about the Windows + Arrow keys (particularly useful with multiple monitors) so I'm just going to leave this here:
  • Win + Up: maximise
  • Win + Down: restore / minimise
  • Win + Left: snap to left half of display
  • Win + Right: snap to right half of display
  • Win + Shift + Up: maximise vertical
  • Win + Shift + Left: send current window to previous monitor
  • Win + Shift + Right: send current window to next monitor

This is a war crime.
VVVV

rolleyes fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Jul 26, 2014

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

dennyk posted:

You kids and your fancy shiny GUIs and rounded buttons and poo poo...thank god that with the Windows Classic theme, a few other settings changes, and 7 Taskbar Tweaker, you can make Windows 7 look and behave the correct way (i.e. just like Windows 95). :colbert:

hot dog stand 4 lyf yo

Edit: Also available for Windows 7!! http://www.h3m3.com/hot-dog-stand

Sirotan fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jul 26, 2014

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
If I maintained an image for Windows I would add this to it.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I think I'm going to use this theme for when vendors request screenshots.

It's amazing!

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I think I'm going to use this theme for when vendors request screenshots.

It's amazing!

I'm so stealing this idea!

Please tell me Siro's link works for Win8 too.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

dennyk posted:

You laugh, but my loving workplace does this for every client we install. I have no idea why.

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

rolleyes posted:

On the subject of Windows shortcut keys, I'm forever finding that people don't know about the Windows + Arrow keys (particularly useful with multiple monitors) so I'm just going to leave this here:
  • Win + Up: maximise
  • Win + Down: restore / minimise
  • Win + Left: snap to left half of display
  • Win + Right: snap to right half of display
  • Win + Shift + Up: maximise vertical
  • Win + Shift + Left: send current window to previous monitor
  • Win + Shift + Right: send current window to next monitor

Those key combinations are wonderful and I really wish they wouldn't turn off when you disable mouse-snapping against screen edges.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Crowley posted:

I'm so stealing this idea!

Please tell me Siro's link works for Win8 too.

It does work but I had to tweak the menu/context bar colors to get it that eye-bleeding red color. Sadly, you can't change the window color from white. :(

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013
I am an employee of the Microsoft Gaming Division and they pay me to defend the Xbox One on the Something Awful Forums

Sirotan posted:

hot dog stand 4 lyf yo

Haha that's great, on a related note, "sl" is a great program to install on your Linux servers as well. Nothing greater than watching someone working on a problem and they typo "ls" and scream in frustration.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHyPd9rAte8

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

hanyolo posted:

Haha that's great, on a related note, "sl" is a great program to install on your Linux servers as well. Nothing greater than watching someone working on a problem and they typo "ls" and scream in frustration.

Yeah, sl is one of the first things that I install. It's pretty great, especially sl -la

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Sirotan posted:

It does work but I had to tweak the menu/context bar colors to get it that eye-bleeding red color. Sadly, you can't change the window color from white. :(

White is for the onions. :colbert:

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

My task for the summer is imaging. I've imaged a half-dozen mobile labs and dozens of teacher laptops at the tech center, but now I get to go out to schools and image stationary labs.

One lab is out in a portable the furthest away from the main school building. It's wired into an 'IDF' (a 24-port 100 meg switch in the PE office), which goes back to the site's main MDF...probably at or exceeding maximum length. It has precisely one functional wire, probably near maximum length, probably over 15 years old, and only rated at 10mbit.
It took me 7 hours to image 8 computers and install the extra ~1.5 gigs of software on them. 22 to go. The labs in other buildings should go better, but still.

Our goal for the summer was to image every computer in the district in situ. Multicasting isn't functional and our first attempt ended in 3 people imaging maybe 10 computers in a day. The goal was abandoned and now we're just concentrating on labs.

And the 'bench tech' who set up our whole SCCM deployment system put in his two weeks halfway into the summer since he got an offer for a help desk manager position with a huge pay boost in a larger neighboring district.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Couldn't you carry all you need on an external HDD? or would that just make too much sense for management?

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Pyroclastic posted:

My task for the summer is imaging. I've imaged a half-dozen mobile labs and dozens of teacher laptops at the tech center, but now I get to go out to schools and image stationary labs.

One lab is out in a portable the furthest away from the main school building. It's wired into an 'IDF' (a 24-port 100 meg switch in the PE office), which goes back to the site's main MDF...probably at or exceeding maximum length. It has precisely one functional wire, probably near maximum length, probably over 15 years old, and only rated at 10mbit.
It took me 7 hours to image 8 computers and install the extra ~1.5 gigs of software on them. 22 to go. The labs in other buildings should go better, but still.

Our goal for the summer was to image every computer in the district in situ. Multicasting isn't functional and our first attempt ended in 3 people imaging maybe 10 computers in a day. The goal was abandoned and now we're just concentrating on labs.

And the 'bench tech' who set up our whole SCCM deployment system put in his two weeks halfway into the summer since he got an offer for a help desk manager position with a huge pay boost in a larger neighboring district.

I am asking because I have no idea.

Wouldn't it be easier to set up one of the computers as a server to fetch the image and software from, then image all the computers from that? Then you could carry the single computer/server to a reliable point and set it up there.

Also, that single wire cable, that would then run half-duplex, right? So no transmitting and receiving at the same time, packet loss and delays due to collision? Slowly reading up on CCENT, barely started, but I would assume that would happen.

Venusy
Feb 21, 2007
A ticket came in from the boss. He had a heart attack on Thursday and is currently recovering. :ohdear:

On Windows 8 chat from a few pages ago - eh, it has its problems, but treating the Start screen like an extension of pinning apps to the taskbar works pretty well for me. v:shobon:v Having a local Hyper-V instance can also be pretty nice.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy

hanyolo posted:

Maybe if my boss hadn't forgotten about sysadmin day I wouldn't have put this in production, BUT HE DOESN'T CARE SO WHY SHOULD I

DrAlexanderTobacco
Jun 11, 2012

Help me find my true dharma
An email came in..

:yotj:

TheFuzzyLumpkin
Sep 15, 2003

But you are a person, and I can't say I'm awfully fond of that.

Sirotan posted:

hot dog stand 4 lyf yo

Ahahahahaha oh my god, I have a babby tech right now and I'm trying to teach him to lock his workstation when he gets up from his desk. Every time I catch him forgetting, I've been loving with his display, but this . . . this is gonna be on another level.

I've already stored it on his C drive, he won't even see it coming.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo

DrAlexanderTobacco posted:

An email came in..

:yotj:

Details man, details!

(Congratulations!)

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

TheFuzzyLumpkin posted:

Ahahahahaha oh my god, I have a babby tech right now and I'm trying to teach him to lock his workstation when he gets up from his desk. Every time I catch him forgetting, I've been loving with his display, but this . . . this is gonna be on another level.

I've already stored it on his C drive, he won't even see it coming.

We did something similar with a KVM and it got pretty funny. Can't wait to see where this goes.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Dunno-Lars posted:

I am asking because I have no idea.

Wouldn't it be easier to set up one of the computers as a server to fetch the image and software from, then image all the computers from that? Then you could carry the single computer/server to a reliable point and set it up there.

Also, that single wire cable, that would then run half-duplex, right? So no transmitting and receiving at the same time, packet loss and delays due to collision? Slowly reading up on CCENT, barely started, but I would assume that would happen.

I'm just a lowly computer janitor. I can't go lugging servers around (and this one may be virtualized now), especially since the other two techs are imaging off it in their own buildings.

Maybe if our bench tech had stayed on he could've learned how to make SCCM more flexible like that, but I figure we'll be damned lucky if it even stays functional for two more months. Our SCCM server crashed twice last year and each time it took over a month to rebuild because the backups didn't work (one admin said it was because of file pointers and symlinks or something which don't get backed up correctly, so the entire deployment service had to be rebuilt).

Our old wiring generally splits the 4 wire pairs into 2 separate jacks, but I'm fairly sure I reterminated that cable with a new module that's actually 100mbit. Otherwise, I probably would've been lucky to finish 3 computers in a day.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

Pyroclastic posted:

I'm just a lowly computer janitor. I can't go lugging servers around (and this one may be virtualized now), especially since the other two techs are imaging off it in their own buildings.

Maybe if our bench tech had stayed on he could've learned how to make SCCM more flexible like that, but I figure we'll be damned lucky if it even stays functional for two more months. Our SCCM server crashed twice last year and each time it took over a month to rebuild because the backups didn't work (one admin said it was because of file pointers and symlinks or something which don't get backed up correctly, so the entire deployment service had to be rebuilt).

Our old wiring generally splits the 4 wire pairs into 2 separate jacks, but I'm fairly sure I reterminated that cable with a new module that's actually 100mbit. Otherwise, I probably would've been lucky to finish 3 computers in a day.

Put your image on an external, or even an ssd. Bring laptop. Boot laptop to Clonezilla, push image.

The Cubelodyte
Sep 1, 2006

Practicing Hypnolaw since 1990
Grimey Drawer
New CIO incoming. They've requested 2 iMacs (one for each desk since lugging a tablet or, God forbid, a laptop between buildings would just be too much. And they don't want to use Exchange calendaring, no, they want to use Google. Never mind the rest of our whole organization uses Exchange.

loving C-level.

Scikar
Nov 20, 2005

5? Seriously?

Pyroclastic posted:

SCCM doesn't have to have everything on one box. The actual packages and image files are taken from a distribution point which doesn't have to be anything special. So you can set up a laptop as a distribution point, sync all of the stuff you need for deployment to it, then move it to the site containing the subnet your lab uses. Then you just plug the laptop in in the lab and the machines there will pull the data from it. This can cause some problems if someone updates a package on the laptop DP while it's off or on a slow site though.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

The Cubelodyte posted:

New CIO incoming. They've requested 2 iMacs (one for each desk since lugging a tablet or, God forbid, a laptop between buildings would just be too much. And they don't want to use Exchange calendaring, no, they want to use Google. Never mind the rest of our whole organization uses Exchange.

loving C-level.

How the gently caress did they make it through the process? The computer poo poo is almost somewhat reasonable, but the Google thing is just insane.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

AlexDeGruven posted:

How the gently caress did they make it through the process? The computer poo poo is almost somewhat reasonable, but the Google thing is just insane.

Maybe someone needs to show them how to forward exchange invites to your Gmail or how to use an exchange app on a phone? I still don't get how using a different mail and calendar solution than the rest of the company would ever work.

Emushka
Jul 5, 2007
why oh why do I need to explain company policies to business partners.

I don't loving need you to pintpoint every single step where you can violate the enforced policies when I remind you of them. YOU'RE loving RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR ACTIONS END OF DISCUSSION. I am not here to babysit you plus im the customer here so gently caress that and gently caress you too.

.end of rant.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

"Team, it seems most of you have been overwriting drives marked as Do Not Destroy instead of sending them to legal. Service Now has a box that states if a machine is DND but that box is only used if there supervisor wants help recovering or storing the data. Please check the DND list to see if a device is on it."

The alluded to DND list is not linked or even suggested as to where it's hidden. After finding the one person who knew where it was? Theyd been using a copy 6 months out of date and the one we were supposed to be using is on a network drive nobody has access to.

:cripes:

The Cubelodyte
Sep 1, 2006

Practicing Hypnolaw since 1990
Grimey Drawer

AlexDeGruven posted:

the Google thing is just insane.

Oh, but they have a solution! We will create a shared mailbox in Exchange and their AAs will double-book all their appointments. I'm sure everything will go smoothly. :downs:

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
Has anyone here had to deal with Hospitality PoS systems? I figure I'd ask here to see what software/hardware to avoid for my brother's restaurants (I am not doing installs, I am just free consulting).

Geocities Homepage King
Nov 26, 2007

I have good news, and I have bad news.
Which do you want to hear first...?

The Cubelodyte posted:

Oh, but they have a solution! We will create a shared mailbox in Exchange and their AAs will double-book all their appointments. I'm sure everything will go smoothly. :downs:

I'm "glad" mine isn't the only company that, for some reason, puts up with this bullshit. When we decided to have a team to do Meals on Wheels deliveries as part of a give back to the community initiative the woman in charge of the project decided she wanted to use basecamp to organize when people would do what. We, too, use Exchange throughout the company. But she's more familiar with Basecamp and she shouldn't have to learn to use exchange, apparently.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

deimos posted:

Has anyone here had to deal with Hospitality PoS systems? I figure I'd ask here to see what software/hardware to avoid for my brother's restaurants (I am not doing installs, I am just free consulting).

I have no idea for restaurants

But I'll take every opportunity to day this, every time somebody mentions the hospitality business

gently caress. Opera.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

deimos posted:

http://h30499.www3.hp.com/t5/HP-Security-Research-Blog/Hacking-POS-Terminal-for-Fun-and-Non-profit/ba-p/6540620#.U8iJ1o2SzY8

Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

Just a mad weather-ologist :science:
Coworker had a customer come in on an existing ticket.

"I don't know how to turn on and off sound. I have support." a.k.a I don't have critical thinking, I want you to do everything for me.
Ticket was orginially opened for "I can't find the icon on my desktop I need."

And guess what she called in a month ago for? Don't know how to change sound settings. In that previous case she asked the tech: "can you just fax me the instructions. How to turn the sound on and off and adjust the volumn"

I'm glad I don't have this ticket, since I'm already feeling like :bang:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helushune
Oct 5, 2011

Since I'm the only IT person here for about four hours in the morning during the summer, I've had to respond to phone calls that come in. Three people sharing an office that are literally across the hall from three copiers. They all have individual printers at their desks because "everyone else in this place has one at theirs". They've called four times in the past hour and half asking if I can clear out their paper jams because they're putting too much paper in the tray and the printer is grabbing multiple sheets. Can't be bothered to print to any of the other shared printers in their room or walk the 3 feet to the copier room because that requires :effort:. The worst part is, the printers have a little color LCD on them that walks you through step-by-step with pictures on how to fix what's currently wrong with it. :argh:

• Locked thread