Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
What? The alien nazi episodes are the best.

Blink of an Eye is one of the few Voyager episodes I actually enjoy. That one and the episode with the fear clown. That one actually scared me as a kid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I'd argue the Outragous Okana is the worst TNG episode thats not in season 1.

Its such a pathetic attempt to create a Mudd like character, but give him sex appeal.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

The Nutrageous Not-Han Solo is the best

Truly, my only beef with Enterprise is "turn the drat lights on inside your spaceship."

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Crosscontaminant posted:

I sort of enjoy Blink of an Eye, and it's not a bad episode, but I can't like it because it's a plagiarised story.

I have watched your new Star Trek series and it is both good and original. Unfortunately...

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

Its such a pathetic attempt to create a Mudd like character, but give him sex appeal.

What do you mean "a Mudd like character, but give him sex appeal?"

Do you not find this appealing in a sexual way?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Sash! posted:

The Nutrageous Not-Han Solo is the best

Truly, my only beef with Enterprise is "turn the drat lights on inside your spaceship."

You forget the Data learns comedy subplot.

Vagabundo posted:

What do you mean "a Mudd like character, but give him sex appeal?"

Do you not find this appealing in a sexual way?

Totally not into bears.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

twistedmentat posted:

You forget the Data learns comedy subplot.

Through the lens of Joe Piscopo! Because I guess that seemed like a good idea in 1988.

And suddenly I'm reminded of Multimedia Celebrity Poker starring Piscopo and Jonathan Frakes.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Is Steppenwolf aware that their song Magic Carpet Ride was played during arguably the most critical moment of Star Trek history?

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Jul 29, 2014

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Barlow posted:

The Xindi plot arc had that whole thing about the mysterious sphere builders from the future being behind it all, and then it was never brought up again.

The Sphere Builder stuff was resolved? It just didn't turn out very complicated. They were invading our universe, using the spheres to make it habitable for themselves. They'd tried once in the 26th century, got their arses kicked by the Federation, and decided to pop back and nip that whole 'Federation' thing in the bud.

Vengeance of Pandas
Sep 8, 2008

THE TERRIBLE POST WENT THATAWAY!
For a first run through I still say try every episode. People have different tastes and I've seen episodes and arcs of Star Trek I enjoy torn to shreds by some people here, though having said that if after say the first ten-fifteen minutes there's nothing in the episode that interests you then turn it off and move on to another one.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Is Steppenwolf aware that their song Magic Carpet Ride was played during arguably the most critical moment of Star Trek history?

It bothers me that Riker was like "hey turn that off" instead of blasting it even louder or following it up with Start Me Up or Rock in America.

Data Learns X plots were almost always bad

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Vengeance of Pandas posted:

For a first run through I still say try every episode. People have different tastes and I've seen episodes and arcs of Star Trek I enjoy torn to shreds by some people here, though having said that if after say the first ten-fifteen minutes there's nothing in the episode that interests you then turn it off and move on to another one.

Aatrek parachute account spotted.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.
What's a good place to get some trek crap? I have a sudden urge for a poster or model of terek nor in my room.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Hipster_Doofus posted:

I'm watching Hide and Q in HD and I don't remember the corridors having wallpaper:

Does this occur throughout season 1?

That set definitely appears a few times. I think they may have changed it to a more subtle beige wallpaper later on in the show's run. If you load up the beginning of All Good Things, the hallway outside of Troi's quarters in the intro seems to have some subtly textured beige wallpaper.

twistedmentat posted:

http://www.agonybooth.com/recaps/Star_Trek/The_Next_Generation/The_Outrageous_Okona.aspx

quote:

In short, Informed Attributes are character traits that are told to the audience, rather than shown... "The Outrageous Okona", as a teleplay, is basically one big Informed Attribute. Hell, even the title is an Informed Attribute. Before we even meet the character, we're already told that he's "outrageous", but as we'll soon learn, the only outrageous things about him are his skanky, slutty behavior, and the fact that he so desperately wants to be Han Solo.

TheHomerTax
Dec 26, 2012

That's a high quality avatar right there.

Drone posted:

Season 1 of DS9 isn't actively bad just mediocre (it's only bad when you compare it to DS9 at its peak, since the quality is just in a completely different league between Seasons 1 and 7). The worst offender though is "Move Along Home", which is really just a bad TOS episode.

I kinda like Move Along Home. I think it's because it's the first DS9 episode I ever watched. I'm still trying to get through season 1 though, and haven't hit any of the good stuff yet.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The thing that annoys me most about the Ourrrrrrrrrrageous Okona is that despite being incredibly lame, a total Mary Sue, dressing and being styled in the most ridiculous 80's SPACE ROOOOGUE way... he's still kinda hot. :smith: goddamnit, Mr Rocketeer, you got me.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
Ain't no way to make Billy Campbell look bad, it's true.

TNG would have been so much better if they'd written his character well and he'd shown up once or twice a season to get the Enterprise (or some subset of its crew) involved in a wacky, sexy adventure.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Apparently it was down to him or Johnny Frakes for Riker.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
Not the best consolation prize, that role.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Apollodorus posted:

TNG would have been so much better if they'd written his character well and he'd shown up once or twice a season to get the Enterprise (or some subset of its crew) involved in a wacky, sexy adventure.

And every single time he somehow ends up in bed with Teri Hatcher.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

Delsaber posted:

The horror.

Barlow
Nov 26, 2007
Write, speak, avenge, for ancient sufferings feel

Delsaber posted:

The description of her character in the script is the creepiest thing.

Memory Alpha posted:

The script for "The Outrageous Okona" describes her as "the very feminine and graciously endowed Transporter Commander B.G. Robinson. Everything she has two of are perfectly matched, coordinated, and move with a wonderful grace that is called 'woman.'" It goes onto say she always displays a "very professional manner."

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

Delsaber posted:

I actually had to look that one up. All these years I've just remembered it as "the one where Picard lawyers that Armus-looking dude."

On the subject of Good Episodes which No One Remembers, I submit to you "The Face of the Enemy" (which I am halfway through watching right now). The concept is great, though the opening scene is badly written and slightly less badly acted. It totally finds its stride though, and ends up being Actually Gripping, imo. Discuss!

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

twistedmentat posted:

When I star watching it I always mistake it for "the hunted" which is actually quite good.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Hipster_Doofus posted:

On the subject of Good Episodes which No One Remembers, I submit to you "The Face of the Enemy" (which I am halfway through watching right now). The concept is great, though the opening scene is badly written and slightly less badly acted. It totally finds its stride though, and ends up being Actually Gripping, imo. Discuss!

I absolutely love that episode, because it gives us more insight into TNG-era Romulan culture than any other ep in the entire series, except perhaps for "Reunification". Through Troi's impersonation of a Tal'Shiar officer and the Romulan ship captain's reactions to her, we can extrapolate that modern Romulan society is analogous to a fascist police state. The ship's captain is like a Luftwaffe officer in the German WW2-era military, loyal to the state but not a fanatic true believer in the political cause of imperial conquest and the destruction of the Federation, while also unsympathetic to traitors ready to undermine their entire government and society to bring down the most extreme Nazi elements they both dislike. She cares about her crew and even the lives of innocent alien civilians instead of coldly seeing everything as a resource spent in pursuit of a greater goal, unlike most of the other Romulan captains (except Tomalak, RIP A-Katz :sigh: ).

It's really too bad the Klingons took up the vast majority of the development time spent on the major alien races, the seeds were planted for a more nuanced portrayal of the Romulans but nobody ever watered them.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

MikeJF posted:

The thing that annoys me most about the Ourrrrrrrrrrageous Okona is that despite being incredibly lame, a total Mary Sue, dressing and being styled in the most ridiculous 80's SPACE ROOOOGUE way... he's still kinda hot. :smith: goddamnit, Mr Rocketeer, you got me.

Honestly if the character/actor showed up a few years later (or on DS9) there was actual potential there. Humans that aren't boring vanilla are needed.

Unfortunately they set out to make Han Solo and created Jar Jar Binks.

TheHomerTax posted:

I kinda like Move Along Home. I think it's because it's the first DS9 episode I ever watched. I'm still trying to get through season 1 though, and haven't hit any of the good stuff yet.

I can't hate it. I should, I want to, but I can't. It's just so goofy and the Quark stuff is amusing.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Jul 29, 2014

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

bull3964 posted:

Enterprise, as a production, was light years beyond voyager. The production values were a huge leap from SFX to cinematography to set design to costume. It was a very well executed show...that then got saddled with the most boring scripts and characters of all time. They were very well executed boring scripts and characters. There's very little that's MST3K level. But as a whole, it's a snoozer.

Meanwhile, Voyager was cringe-worthy for the vast majority of the run. It was rife with early 90s design with that awkward era where CGI just wasn't QUITE good enough. The storytelling hadn't quite caught up to modern levels yet. It still felt like syndicated show despite being on a major network. You could riff on it day and night.

But you know what? It was campy which makes it fun. Many times I will take a fun bad show over a good boring show.

I'd be more forgiving if it wasn't running side by side with DS9, which had far less budget, didn't it? Voyager looks like a crappy stage play that somehow looks worse than early TNG where DS9 generally has a similar visual quality to the freaking TNG Movies.

I don't get it.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Blazing Ownager posted:

I can't hate it. I should, I want to, but I can't. It's just so goofy and the Quark stuff is amusing.

Yeah, even if Kira going alamaraine is painful to you and the aliens are obnoxious, watching Quark in this episode makes it worthwhile. That's some good Quark.

BrandonGK
May 6, 2005

Throw it out the airlock.
Okona really is the live action Poochie. The episode might as well have included a scene where the Enterprise flies past an orbital fireworks factory.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Barlow posted:

The description of her character in the script is the creepiest thing.

The series bible has great descriptions in this vein. The one for Crusher says she has the walk of a "striptease queen" or something.

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

McSpanky posted:

I absolutely love that episode, because it gives us more insight into TNG-era Romulan culture than any other ep in the entire series, except perhaps for "Reunification". Through Troi's impersonation of a Tal'Shiar officer and the Romulan ship captain's reactions to her, we can extrapolate that modern Romulan society is analogous to a fascist police state. The ship's captain is like a Luftwaffe officer in the German WW2-era military, loyal to the state but not a fanatic true believer in the political cause of imperial conquest and the destruction of the Federation, while also unsympathetic to traitors ready to undermine their entire government and society to bring down the most extreme Nazi elements they both dislike. She cares about her crew and even the lives of innocent alien civilians instead of coldly seeing everything as a resource spent in pursuit of a greater goal, unlike most of the other Romulan captains (except Tomalak, RIP A-Katz :sigh: ).

It's really too bad the Klingons took up the vast majority of the development time spent on the major alien races, the seeds were planted for a more nuanced portrayal of the Romulans but nobody ever watered them.

Another good Romulan episode is The Enemy, where Geordi ends up stranded on a planet during a storm as the captive of a Romulan soldier. Also Worf refuses to give blood to a wounded Romulan officer even though Picard asks him nicely, because "Jesus gently caress, are you kidding me? gently caress Romulans."

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

McSpanky posted:

The Defector was a pretty good episode. The performances were excellent as well.

Crosscontaminant
Jan 18, 2007

Blazing Ownager posted:

Honestly if the character/actor showed up a few years later (or on DS9) there was actual potential there. Humans that aren't boring vanilla are needed.

Unfortunately they set out to make Han Solo and created Jar Jar Binks.
He's more like Philip J. Fry, honestly.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Wait, are we just deciding now that Romulan-centric episodes are good? Let's hear some bad ones (THE CHASE DOESN'T COUNT) because I think the list might be shorter.

The Enemy and The Defector both have Tomalak, as did All Good Things, and the one where aliens mess with Riker's brain. No, the other one. Even as a kid I was always happy to see him show up, outside the Borg he was the closest thing Picard had to a recurring nemesis. No, not that Nemesis.

And Troi Is A Spy was one of my favorites from TNG. It's also the proverbial Good Troi Episode.

Shofixti
Nov 23, 2005

Kyaieee!

LLCoolJD posted:

The Defector was a pretty good episode. The performances were excellent as well.

I agree it's quite good. The one thing that bothers me is that not long after Jarok comes aboard, the crew discovers that the Warbird clearly allowed him to escape (it slowed down on several occasions to make sure it didn't overtake the scout ship). At that point, it seems like the whole situation should be exposed. But, for some reason, it isn't. Everyone just keeps going along as if that point never came up. They don't ask Jarok about it and it isn't mentioned when they decide to make the huge gamble and enter the Neutral Zone.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Phy posted:

And Troi Is A Spy was one of my favorites from TNG. It's also the proverbial Good Troi Episode.

I think it's even stronger when they did something similar in DS9, given Kira's feelings towards Cardassians.

Subyng
May 4, 2013

McSpanky posted:

I think the portrayal of the commander in this episode very closely mirrors the commander in the very first Romulan episode of TOS. Both characters were very polarized with regard to their distaste for war, yet at the same time they would not hesitate to engage in acts of war in the name of duty, even if they did not believe that their actions were right.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Blazing Ownager posted:

I'd be more forgiving if it wasn't running side by side with DS9, which had far less budget, didn't it? Voyager looks like a crappy stage play that somehow looks worse than early TNG where DS9 generally has a similar visual quality to the freaking TNG Movies.

I don't get it.

I'm going to disagree and say that Voyager looks much better than TNG. Voyager is the first series that feels like it decided on a unified starfleet asthetic. The Ent D has obviously has that more in the later seasons, but the general set and prop design in Voyager is very cohesive and consistent. Voyager also feels more like an actual ship than the D, probably because it's smaller. At the same time it also feels like people are actually doing work on it. Engineering has like 20 workstations on Voyager, where there's like 4 in TNG. The Sickbay set, Janeway's ready-room, and the galley are all more interesting designs than their TNG counterparts.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Snak posted:

I'm going to disagree and say that Voyager looks much better than TNG. Voyager is the first series that feels like it decided on a unified starfleet asthetic. The Ent D has obviously has that more in the later seasons, but the general set and prop design in Voyager is very cohesive and consistent. Voyager also feels more like an actual ship than the D, probably because it's smaller. At the same time it also feels like people are actually doing work on it. Engineering has like 20 workstations on Voyager, where there's like 4 in TNG. The Sickbay set, Janeway's ready-room, and the galley are all more interesting designs than their TNG counterparts.

The Ent D galley equivalent would be ten-forward though so I'd say that was a far more interesting design than the place we find Neelix making small talk and diabolical cheeses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

syscall girl posted:

The Ent D galley equivalent would be ten-forward though so I'd say that was a far more interesting design than the place we find Neelix making small talk and diabolical cheeses.

Neelix pretty much drags down everything though so tough call to make objectively.

• Locked thread