Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Playing right now, and I don't see myself sticking with this for very long. The game feels awful to play. There is no weight to anything, and shooting your gun very unsatisfying. FireFall feels like a very low budget amateur hour shootmans game, which is a super hard sell when there are so many shootman games already out there that look and play way better then this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong

I said come in! posted:

Playing right now, and I don't see myself sticking with this for very long. The game feels awful to play. There is no weight to anything, and shooting your gun very unsatisfying. FireFall feels like a very low budget amateur hour shootmans game, which is a super hard sell when there are so many shootman games already out there that look and play way better then this.

The most recent patch really made this feel like a completely different game. I am chewing through health packs and ammo packs like they were candy. I think the biggest hindrance right now is that there is no accelerated out of combat auto-heal. It is so easy to take damage, but a pita to heal because drops were nerfed to hell, and if you rely on your regen you are going to be out of combat for a long time. Firefall's selling point in the past (at least for me) was non-stop action (the limiting factor being how fast can you get to the next fight). Now that dynamic has changed I find myself struggling to find the motivation to play, because I don't want to work my rear end off to survive the fight, I just want to shoot poo poo and watch it explode.

Malsgrein
Nov 29, 2005

xxEightxx posted:

The most recent patch really made this feel like a completely different game. I am chewing through health packs and ammo packs like they were candy. I think the biggest hindrance right now is that there is no accelerated out of combat auto-heal. It is so easy to take damage, but a pita to heal because drops were nerfed to hell, and if you rely on your regen you are going to be out of combat for a long time. Firefall's selling point in the past (at least for me) was non-stop action (the limiting factor being how fast can you get to the next fight). Now that dynamic has changed I find myself struggling to find the motivation to play, because I don't want to work my rear end off to survive the fight, I just want to shoot poo poo and watch it explode.

This is really different than it used to be, yeah. I find myself using health and ammo packs a lot more as well. But that's a good thing because in the old system I never ran out of ammo or died.

I think they've struck a pretty good balance the way it is. You have to be careful about not charging into groups of enemies, and you have to try not to waste shots. I am dying a lot more than I used to, which makes me try to become a better player in the new system.

GaylordButts
Feb 19, 2009
Does this ever turn into anything other than doing 1 randomly generated mission at a time? And then running back to the job board, and then running back to the next objective (repeat 1-3x) and then running back to the NPC and the job board again? Is this really what their new game for 2014 is? Does it somehow get better after level 10? This may be the worst opening for an MMO I've ever seen, like it doesn't want you to play it.

Additionally, apparently sometime in the last 3 years I got a cash shop motorcycle so I was able to race my friend's VIP booster glider. The motorcycle is quite significantly faster, probably about twice as fast. If you have any sort of choice in the matter you should probably go for the bike over the glidepad, regardless of how cool gliding is.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
I feel like the motorcycle and glider pad are useful in completely different circumstances. I like having both quite a bit.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

GaylordButts posted:

Does this ever turn into anything other than doing 1 randomly generated mission at a time? And then running back to the job board, and then running back to the next objective (repeat 1-3x) and then running back to the NPC and the job board again? Is this really what their new game for 2014 is? Does it somehow get better after level 10? This may be the worst opening for an MMO I've ever seen, like it doesn't want you to play it.
I'm also feeling like this. Got to level five and was super bored. It feels like there is a lot of running involved and then the actual combat is repetitive and usually take less than a minute to complete. Run 500m, kill ten little bug by spraying gun around, run back. Yawn.

Also the game started out as this colourful cartoon world and then night time arrived and I basically couldn't see anything and spent five minutes trying to glitch my way up a cliff because I fell into a high level zone or something.

Tunga fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jul 29, 2014

dromer
Aug 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

GaylordButts posted:

Additionally, apparently sometime in the last 3 years I got a cash shop motorcycle so I was able to race my friend's VIP booster glider. The motorcycle is quite significantly faster, probably about twice as fast. If you have any sort of choice in the matter you should probably go for the bike over the glidepad, regardless of how cool gliding is.

There's thumping and open-world AREs missions, as well as random events that pop up like the storm kestrel nests (the screeching noise you hear sometimes), boss monsters, wounded bandits, and tornados. I like to roam Sertao doing random AREs missions that pop up, since the board missions are almost exclusively go here/kill thing/come back deals.

Overall, I'd say that this patch was really bad for newbies, because it exacerbates the problem of having long transport times without a bike.

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits

Thanatosian posted:

I feel like the motorcycle and glider pad are useful in completely different circumstances. I like having both quite a bit.

This, those pads are super useful in hills and on mountains where you'd be ramming into stuff or falling of cliffs all the time on a bike; while a bike is super useful on the more flat parts where a glider will just not take you that far unless you're in a travelcat, but as I'm running around in an Arsenal most of the time it's bike+pad for me.

HUMAN FISH
Jul 6, 2003

I Am A Mom With A
"BLACK BELT"
In AUTISM
I Have Strengths You Can't Imagine
Started playing 2 hours ago and applied to the overflow group.

I guess I'm having fun?

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!

dromer posted:

There's thumping and open-world AREs missions, as well as random events that pop up like the storm kestrel nests (the screeching noise you hear sometimes), boss monsters, wounded bandits, and tornados. I like to roam Sertao doing random AREs missions that pop up, since the board missions are almost exclusively go here/kill thing/come back deals.

Overall, I'd say that this patch was really bad for newbies, because it exacerbates the problem of having long transport times without a bike.

100% this. The job boards are neat because of all the lore it reveals, but are not the whole game. Sticking to them exclusively will lead to wrist slashing. Switch it up some. Grab another goon or two and do the storyline missions or something for a change of pace.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Yeah, ARES boards are awesome to add to the content but sometimes just roam the world doing the random events, or drop a thumper to mix things up.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
No single type of gameplay Firefall offers holds up well on its own if you just do the one thing for hours on end. Its strength is that they're all pretty good in small doses and there's so many of them that you can easily spend a whole night playing and never do any one class of thing more than once or twice. You don't even have to plan most of the time; you can just amble around exploring and following random whims. That's how I stumbled upon my first chosen incursion, which was quite a nice surprise.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
Sorry guys. I created an AllianceBot2 account for the overflow army and I ran into the same authentication issue that prevented the chat bot from working with my main account. Until the cause/workaround can be found, I'm afraid AllianceBot will be dead in the water for the time being. Ugh, it is so weird. My main and AllianceBot2 accounts get authentication errors, yet the original AllianceBot account works fine.

ShadowMoo
Mar 13, 2011

by Shine
Whoever programmed the protect mission system needs to be shot and set on fire. Person you are supposed to be protecting just stands there attracting bullets.

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

im nt posting wif a mark on my head

Nalin posted:

Sorry guys. I created an AllianceBot2 account for the overflow army and I ran into the same authentication issue that prevented the chat bot from working with my main account. Until the cause/workaround can be found, I'm afraid AllianceBot will be dead in the water for the time being. Ugh, it is so weird. My main and AllianceBot2 accounts get authentication errors, yet the original AllianceBot account works fine.

Might be a bug, try contacting Virgil and see whats up.

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
Can you tell me why the hell Firefall still saves the texture cache on C:\ instead of the game folder.

I have a tiny rear end SSD that is only made to hold Windows itself and Firefall is making GBS threads all over it. Can I move that elsewhere?

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

Fina posted:

Can you tell me why the hell Firefall still saves the texture cache on C:\ instead of the game folder.

I have a tiny rear end SSD that is only made to hold Windows itself and Firefall is making GBS threads all over it. Can I move that elsewhere?
You can change that in the firefall.ini located in: Steam/SteamApps/common/Firefall
Add
code:
[FilePaths]
WritePath= "<drive>:/path/to/cache/folder"

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
Cool, thanks. That should really be revised since people specify a Steam download folder for a reason.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Lemon King posted:

Might be a bug, try contacting Virgil and see whats up.
It isn't a bug. If it was a bug, in-game chat wouldn't work at all (this has no relation to how broken the in-game chat servers are at the moment). No, I think they just changed the method of generating the password for the chat server.

xxEightxx
Mar 5, 2010

Oh, it's true. You are Brock Landers!
Salad Prong

ShadowMoo posted:

Whoever programmed the protect mission system needs to be shot and set on fire. Person you are supposed to be protecting just stands there attracting bullets.

At least he doesn't actively run through lava and burn to death anymore. I think.

lewtt
Apr 2, 2011

The Great Twist
So how is that Energy Shaping/Sin Blade perk? It seems interesting but I really didn't enjoy playing Raptor as much as my Tigerclaw.

Blazing Zero
Sep 7, 2012

*sigh* sure. it's a weed joke

Fina posted:

Cool, thanks. That should really be revised since people specify a Steam download folder for a reason.
This seems to be the case with more and more games lately. Either you can't choose where the files get saved to or the game gives you a choice and does whatever it wants to anyways. Basically lazy development and a middle finger to those who care about such things.

dromer
Aug 19, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

lewtt posted:

So how is that Energy Shaping/Sin Blade perk? It seems interesting but I really didn't enjoy playing Raptor as much as my Tigerclaw.

loving amazing. I put it on every frame that has the perk points for it.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
I'm a level 15 Engineer. I manufactured a Personal Thumper II. Will I be capable of soloing that? Would I and one other person of a similar level be able to handle it? I totally have the stuff to make a Thumper I if I need t, just wondering if I could skip it.

I also have a Squad Thumper I. I'm guessing they tweaked that so you can no longer solo it, right?

Ham Equity fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jul 29, 2014

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Thanatosian posted:

I'm a level 15 Engineer. I manufactured a Personal Thumper II. Will I be capable of soloing that? Would I and one other person of a similar level be able to handle it? I totally have the stuff to make a Thumper I if I need t, just wondering if I could skip it.

I also have a Squad Thumper I. I'm guessing they tweaked that so you can no longer solo it, right?

Thumpers have changed slightly to make it based on the area-level your thumping, Personal thumpers are specifically designed for 1-2 players so you can do it as long as you have the appropriate gear for the area.

ShadowMoo
Mar 13, 2011

by Shine
I find that thumping in sertao is significantly harder than Coral forest. All those damned ticks.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!

lewtt posted:

Get rid of the charge rifle and use an R36. Now play it like a tigerclaw. Profit. The SIN blade is soooo worth it. It's more powerful, a lot faster, and much bigger AOE than regular melee. I regularly do entire missions with nothing but that.

Thor-Stryker posted:

Thumpers have changed slightly to make it based on the area-level your thumping, Personal thumpers are specifically designed for 1-2 players so you can do it as long as you have the appropriate gear for the area.

This can't be stressed enough. You can drop a Squad 3 thumper outside of copa and piss all over the hundreds of level 1 mobs that try to take it down but if you drop even a stock personal thumper in an area equal or higher level than you, you're in for a serious fight.

ShadowMoo posted:

I find that thumping in sertao is significantly harder than Coral forest. All those damned ticks.

Seriously! Everything in Sertao has a ranged attack, a ton of hp, and is really really small. It's not fun at all.

Inimicul fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Jul 29, 2014

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

I find the story missions to be pretty great.

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
I'm in the middle of Blackwater for the first time and I'm about halfway through and now the network connection has gone to complete poo poo is showing a ping upwards of 1000ms and the game is completely unplayable. This is the second time I've been in the middle of a mission and the game decided to poo poo the bed, it never does this when I'm just out wandering the world.

Mackers
Jan 16, 2012
I was wandering around a bit south of Thump Dump and saw a pixelly looking wall that I expected to be solid and maybe blocking some unfinished area or whatever but it let me through.

However, 3 seconds later it kicked me from the game and now I get a "Can't connect to server" error any time I try to log back in :(

Well eventually it just unfucked itself and now I am in a level 30 zone at level 15. So hurray?

Mackers fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Jul 30, 2014

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Mackers posted:

I was wandering around a bit south of Thump Dump and saw a pixelly looking wall that I expected to be solid and maybe blocking some unfinished area or whatever but it let me through.

However, 3 seconds later it kicked me from the game and now I get a "Can't connect to server" error any time I try to log back in :(

That's just the zone border, you typically get a loading screen a few seconds after passing through it.

Mackers
Jan 16, 2012

Eltoasto posted:

That's just the zone border, you typically get a loading screen a few seconds after passing through it.

Cheers, been over a year since I played this last. Now I just need to find my bloody way back... :downs:

It loaded me into a town with a fast travel back to a suitable area. Handy that.

Mackers fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Jul 30, 2014

E-Tap
Jan 4, 2004
This looks interesting enough to play with for a while, and Biotech/Electron can scratch a real bad Unreal Tournament itch I've had for a while. I see [Goons] is full for now, applying to [GOON2] in the meantime, callsign ETap

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
You guys having connection issues, have you been on the EU servers by chance?

Apple Craft
Mar 8, 2012
Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray :cry: Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray

Fina posted:

I am in a similar situation and this is very annoying. I wouldn't even have realized what happened if it weren't for your post. So, thanks for the heads up.

I have no idea why users should be expected to keep an eagle eye on poo poo getting put into hidden folders, instead of files just simply going in the directory we actually request installed files to go into!

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

Apple Craft posted:

I am in a similar situation and this is very annoying. I wouldn't even have realized what happened if it weren't for your post. So, thanks for the heads up.

I have no idea why users should be expected to keep an eagle eye on poo poo getting put into hidden folders, instead of files just simply going in the directory we actually request installed files to go into!

Its the folder set by Microsoft for applications to store local data outside of Program Files: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/what-appdata-folder
If you have an ssd you can actually move your appdata location to a standard hdd, I know samsung ssds comes with software that handles this automatically.

Also this thread has information related on how to properly install Windows on an SSD: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3454120&pagenumber=1

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
Most games that store files in AppData are storing user preferences and config files. You make it sound like it's the users fault that Firefall is the only game that saves nearly half of its sizable footprint there.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan
Pretty simple question that unless I'm having specific hardware issues has probably been asked already but is not covered in the OP: How do I make this game not look like utter rear end? It looks like they ripped their textures out of a game from 1998.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
Pretty awesome that the intro to the game crashes in the same spot every time so hard that I can't even force quit it and have to restart my comp. Even better I can't skip it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geburan
Nov 4, 2010
I play very sporadically at odd hours. What is a good setup for solo PvE that can jump in and out of groups fairly well? Any specific frames I should focus on unlocking? I'm not sure I'll play enough to justify dropping $20 for an LGV yet, but I have an infinite glider from Beta, so yay.

• Locked thread