Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

The outlets looks petrified. They've seen too much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Motronic posted:

Nah, it's just gone goku.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Qwijib0 posted:

Nah, it's just gone goku.

Where is he getting all this power!?

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

All this talk makes me super thankful my house is a brick ranch built in the 60s with no basement.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Motronic posted:

What does the scouter say about his power level?

enziarro
Sep 4, 2004

I'm not an angel - I'm a Galactic Pioneer.
My wife wanted 'whole house' air fresheners that clip on the filter, googling around I found a lady who is Kevin McAllister afraid of changing her furnace filter and advocates stuffing your ducts with old clothes instead

Dante Logos
Dec 31, 2010

enziarro posted:

My wife wanted 'whole house' air fresheners that clip on the filter, googling around I found a lady who is Kevin McAllister afraid of changing her furnace filter and advocates stuffing your ducts with old clothes instead

I am total newbie about home repair and maintenance, and I know this is a horrible idea.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Can someone please explain how you can be afraid of changing a furnace filter?

(probably not)

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Only thing I can think of is if it's one of those deals where the filter is mounted on the air handler, and the air handler is in the attic or some decrepit basement without have a filterback grille in the house somewhere.

enziarro
Sep 4, 2004

I'm not an angel - I'm a Galactic Pioneer.

Babygravy
Jun 12, 2014

I am the gravy
Bringing back some childhood fears mate, and I don't even have a basement.

TasogareNoKagi
Jul 11, 2013

"Activated carbon is different from grilling charcoal."

:stare:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

You can actually buy filter inserts for the air vents in rooms, too.

I love the mental image of someone stuffing old sweaters into their air ducts.

:confused: "Hmm, it's hot as gently caress in here, why isn't your A/C working?"

:j: "Oh it works I just blocked all the vents with sweaters to filter out the evil vapors. Of course each sweater is stuffed full of charcoal briquettes and baking soda!"

:confused: slowly backs all the way out the front door, down the driveway, and down the sidewalk until he disappears around a corner in the distance

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

enziarro posted:

I'm no expert, but I feel like if you had the same scent pumped through your entire house you'd probably stop smelling it within a few weeks (unless it was overwhelmingly powerful to begin with), just like people who wear way too much perfume/cologne can't really tell because they've been wearing it for so long.

Captain Cool
Oct 23, 2004

This is a song about messin' with people who've been messin' with you

Motronic posted:

Can someone please explain how you can be afraid of changing a furnace filter?

(probably not)
It could depend not only on what kind of system she has, but also how it was installed. Our apartment had an air filter that was too big for the return vent door, so whoever installed it threw it in behind. Twenty-odd screws of various sizes in the ceiling was annoying for me but could be intimidating to someone else.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Slanderer posted:

I'm no expert, but I feel like if you had the same scent pumped through your entire house you'd probably stop smelling it within a few weeks (unless it was overwhelmingly powerful to begin with), just like people who wear way too much perfume/cologne can't really tell because they've been wearing it for so long.

I can say from personal experience that its possible to get so used to a smell that you think its only slight, noticing a bit as you walk in the door, yet others can literally smell it from outside the building.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

wolrah posted:

I can say from personal experience that its possible to get so used to a smell that you think its only slight, noticing a bit as you walk in the door, yet others can literally smell it from outside the building.

Have you got a dead body somewhere in your house?

Is there something you want to confess?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

wolrah posted:

Ask me about the time I went into a hoarder's home with over 100 cats.
(Actually, no need to ask. That's pretty much the whole story. There were probably 15 litter boxes full of turds, the walls were covered in a honey-like glaze of piss from 4 feet and below, and the floors were a like a sticky low-pile carpet of cat hair)

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

People who live with dogs, people who smoke indoors, people who aren't allergic to the rampant mold in their homes, people with moldy dogs who smoke indoors.

I swear the worst is the dog people though. At some point they just stop being able to smell the dog and it can become gag-inducingly powerful.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Leperflesh posted:

People who live with dogs, people who smoke indoors, people who aren't allergic to the rampant mold in their homes, people with moldy dogs who smoke indoors.

I swear the worst is the dog people though. At some point they just stop being able to smell the dog and it can become gag-inducingly powerful.

The solution to that is to clean your loving house once in a while. Also, believe it or not, taking your dog outside for exercise regularly helps. If a dog just lays around being fat and greasy all day, it'll smell like it. Same is true for people, incidentally.

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.
My mother lived in a house where the furnace filter was scary to replace. The unit and filter were completely within the attic. To get to them you either had to go up through a ceiling hatch with no stairs; or go up the drop down stairs on the opposite end of the house, take a huge step up and cross a vaulted ceiling, and then take a huge step down at the other end. There was a single light at the drop down stairs and nothing at the end with the furnace. gently caress people who make building decisions like that.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I've only ever known one household with a dog that had a dog smell and that's because they didn't clean, their house or their dog. Clean things don't smell bad.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I just learned about something weird from the "bad with money" thread in BFC.
Japanese home ownership.
http://www.japantimes.co.jp/life/2008/09/28/to-be-sorted/a-step-by-step-guide-to-owning-a-home-in-japan

quote:

Land with an existing old house on it
Many plots are sold with an old house on them, and are usually cheaper than empty plots. This is because buyers are expected to pay for demolition of the existing house before building a new one. Japanese houses have a very short life span, with half demolished around 40 years after construction, according to a study by Yukio Komatsu, professor at Waseda University’s architectural department.

Masao Ogino, president of Tokyo real-estate agency Ichii Corp., points to Japanese people’s penchant for all things new. “Being new is a brand in itself,” Ogino says. “Newlyweds prefer new houses and condos.”

Some of these McMansion builders should be building in Japan instead, where the houses get torn down before they can fall down :v:

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

spog posted:

Have you got a dead body somewhere in your house?

Is there something you want to confess?

Nope, just a lesson learned from some past adventures in hydroponic home gardens. Some of those strains of tomatoes can get really pungent, you know.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

canyoneer posted:

Japanese home ownership.
http://www.japantimes.co.jp/life/2008/09/28/to-be-sorted/a-step-by-step-guide-to-owning-a-home-in-japan

Some of these McMansion builders should be building in Japan instead, where the houses get torn down before they can fall down :v:

This is probably a horrible stereotype but my immediate reaction is "of course they only last 20 years they're made of rice paper and bamboo."

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Who could expect a house to last forty years with Godzilla around?

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Chemmy posted:

Who could expect a house to last forty years with Godzilla around?

No kidding, you've got, what? Tsunamis.... Nuclear reactors melting down.... Godzilla....

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

The Twinkie Czar posted:

My mother lived in a house where the furnace filter was scary to replace. The unit and filter were completely within the attic. To get to them you either had to go up through a ceiling hatch with no stairs; or go up the drop down stairs on the opposite end of the house, take a huge step up and cross a vaulted ceiling, and then take a huge step down at the other end. There was a single light at the drop down stairs and nothing at the end with the furnace. gently caress people who make building decisions like that.

See at this point it would probably have been worth it to have yourself or a contractor come in and install an filterback grille at your return duct.
I mean I guess it's not the worst thing if you're doing like every couple of months, but still gently caress attic crawling.

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

Baronjutter posted:

Clean things don't smell bad.

Gotta be a joke about polishing a turd in here somewhere, if I could only sniff it out.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I'm afraid the dog ate the turd.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Oh and I got the first code violation in my house last night I am pretty sure.

As usual most of the bungling seems to have been done by the electricians. This time they installed a double socket outlet directly behind where my oven will go, in fact I can't insert the oven all the way into it's shelf because the outlet is in the way. It should either be moved upwards or downwards.

Code says the outlet has to be above or below the oven and accessible so you can yank it out incase of fire or other malfunction.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

canyoneer posted:

Japanese home ownership.

Yeah, cause the Japanese will be so welcoming to foreigners wanting to build lovely houses do basically anything besides teach English. The bribes it would take the builders to be able to build in Japan would eat up their sweet sweet profits.

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

It's just like him too, y'know?

Leperflesh posted:

This is probably a horrible stereotype but my immediate reaction is "of course they only last 20 years they're made of rice paper and bamboo."

It's certainly true that when houses were made of paper and bamboo they weren't seen as anything like so permanent as houses in the rest of the world - anything below a castle and you'd be pulling down a lot of it and rebuilding, although granted using a lot of the same materials.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Honestly it kind of reminds me in the tech industry where all the Asians (east asians, subcontinentals, you name it) insist on buying a new house because they assume anything old is just crap. I don't see that literally, but they all are obsessed with certain HOA subdivisions.

Babygravy
Jun 12, 2014

I am the gravy

NancyPants posted:

Yeah, cause the Japanese will be so welcoming to foreigners wanting to build lovely houses do basically anything besides teach English. The bribes it would take the builders to be able to build in Japan would eat up their sweet sweet profits.

I doubt they would want to add in the huge amount of earthquake resistant tech.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

NancyPants posted:

They just missed their calling in life: building disposable houses somewhere where they are appreciated for what they are :sigh:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Honestly it kind of reminds me in the tech industry where all the Asians (east asians, subcontinentals, you name it) insist on buying a new house because they assume anything old is just crap. I don't see that literally, but they all are obsessed with certain HOA subdivisions.

It's the same with cars. Through some combination of "old=poo poo" attitude and regulations that make older cars expensive to maintain (near complete brake system overhauls after 5 years, etc.), cars tend to get sent to the junkyard with less than 100k miles on the clock, often less than 50k. It's how there's such a glut of Japanese-market engines available for cheap over here, and plentiful low-mile JDM cars to import in other countries where the restriction on importing foreign-market cars isn't 25 years like it is here.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Also less likely to be haunted. In Vancouver this is a serious issue and the chinese market won't touch a house or even area if there's a chance of ghosts. In fact a condo tower with mostly chinese owners launched a lawsuit against a neighbouring hospital that wanted to expand its mortuary saying the ghosts would lower their property value and the hospital is racist for not taking into account that ghosts are 100% real to chinese people.

Also newer subdivisions going after the chinese market will of course design the houses for all the right magical energy flow and superstitions, but also get the city to legally change address or even block numbers to not offend chinese numerology.

The houses are still poo poo McMansions though, they just have tons of concrete dragons or lions out front.

Dante Logos
Dec 31, 2010

Baronjutter posted:

Also less likely to be haunted. In Vancouver this is a serious issue and the chinese market won't touch a house or even area if there's a chance of ghosts. In fact a condo tower with mostly chinese owners launched a lawsuit against a neighbouring hospital that wanted to expand its mortuary saying the ghosts would lower their property value and the hospital is racist for not taking into account that ghosts are 100% real to chinese people.

Also newer subdivisions going after the chinese market will of course design the houses for all the right magical energy flow and superstitions, but also get the city to legally change address or even block numbers to not offend chinese numerology.

The houses are still poo poo McMansions though, they just have tons of concrete dragons or lions out front.

So what you are saying that there is a solid ghost hunting market right now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

Dante Logos posted:

So what you are saying that there is a solid ghost hunting market right now?

Same thing happened a few years ago with an elder/end of life hospice opening up near a few residential buildings in a primarily Asian neighbourhood in Vancouver. I'm mixed Chinese and I'm pretty convinced these days that it's just an excuse so the property owners can save face by appearing to be silly superstitious folk when they're really just greedy, insensitive, ageist assholes who are only concerned about their property values.