Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

tentative8e8op posted:

:( take that back. I know you'd agree saimin is super delicious, if you'd try some. :)

You're right, I forgot about saimin - that is good. I'm not a fan of macaroni salad or spam, though, so that kind of rules out 80% of Hawaiian food.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

here's my favourite quote of the day:

'Please shut up about rape and comicon in the I/P thread, it's really stupid!'

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

XyloJW posted:

I guess I'm late to this conversation, but if you're going to somewhere in California, just go to the Bay Area. It's got everything you want to see and do, and it's ridiculously easy to get around.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
If you're going to California, spend at least a week in Victorville. It's worth visiting and is full of culture and fun activities.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
nah im just messing around, my only real complaint with the bay is that its beacoup spendy like whoa

my advice on california activities is to invest in a rental car and drive out to the lost coast

wyldhoney
Nov 7, 2005
huh?
Whoever was complaining about island nation food - are you crazy?

Grilled conch covered in garlic vinaigrette with a roast bake on the side
Oxtail soup
Souse (trotters cooked in broth with cucumber salad)
Roti, doubles, bus-up-shut
FRESH FRUIT JUICES!
Float & smoked herring
Cocoa tea

I could go on for days and days....

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Joementum posted:

If you're going to California, spend at least a week in Victorville. It's worth visiting and is full of culture and fun activities.

Very funny.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!

Joementum posted:

It offers easy access to the most demanding mountain hikes in Southern California, so if you wanna take a bunch of 12 mile out and back hikes with 600-700 foot elevation gain with each mile to the peak, and you don't want to drive much, I guess it's the spot for you. On one hand the view from the peaks seems to stretch on forever, on the other hand the endless view is of Riverside county sprawl.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Majorian posted:

Very funny.

He's right if be "culture" he means "exploding meth labs" and by "fun activities" he means "suffocating in 105-degree heat."

They do have a pretty impressive airliner graveyard there.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

just eat marmite and toast, extra old marmite and toast

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
isn't like, every country on an island, if you think about it??

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Some of the best places to visit in CA are those that really shouldn't exist, but do because it's CA, like the Rosicrucian's in San Jose, or the Winchester Mystery House in San Jose (San Jose double special!), or the Museum of Jurassic Technology in LA, or the abandoned Nazi ranch in Santa Monica, or Hearst Castle.

The Bottletree Ranch is kind of cool too, but requires driving to Victorville, so it's not worth it.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

Joementum posted:

or the Museum of Jurassic Technology in LA,

I lived like four blocks away from the Museum of Jurassic Technology, grew up staring at the front door because it's right next to my bus stop and I had nothing better to do while waiting for the bus. It was this mysterious blank slate, a windowless façade with a simple sign and a closed door and as a child I was half convinced it was the front for some kind of secret society. One day when I was older I went in on a whim and it somehow managed to be stranger than the visions my childhood self had dreamed up.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
It has an exhibit on pre-scientific medicine and an oil painting gallery of Soviet space dogs and more, but I'm not sure you actually need more reasons to visit a place.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Joshua Tree National Park is great but July definitely isn't the time to go there.

I need to visit more CA landmarks though.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Dreylad posted:

isn't like, every country on an island, if you think about it??

No, actually! Many are on continents, which are considerably larger than islands!:eng101:

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
come to LA and visit the getty villa. it is completely dope and i recommend it wholeheartedly.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

paranoid randroid posted:

come to LA and visit the getty villa. it is completely dope and i recommend it wholeheartedly.

This. LACMA is pretty cool too.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
The best thing about Getty is that it's totally going to fall off that hill one of these days.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

Joementum posted:

The best thing about Getty is that it's totally going to fall off that hill one of these days.

That's the Getty Center, which while architecturally impressive always seemed kind of thin on actual exhibits from when I've visited it, given its size.

The Getty Villa is a reproduction Roman villa with lots of artifacts from that area, it'll probably go up in a wildfire.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
the villa has a reproduction of an ancient roman herb garden, which is just the coolest thing ever.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

Majorian posted:

This. LACMA is pretty cool too.

LACMA is alright, but it pales in comparison to some of the older cities art museums. When you compare it to the Art Institute of Chicago, or the Metropolitan Museum of Art, LA really doesn't have an institution that packs as punch as other major US cities. Though if you aggregate art museums across the greater LA area and make some kind of mashup of the Getty Museum and Villa, LACMA, the Norton Simon Museum, MOCA and MOMA, maybe you get something comparable.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

StandardVC10 posted:

That's the Getty Center, which while architecturally impressive always seemed kind of thin on actual exhibits from when I've visited it, given its size.

Yeah, they had a good traveling exhibit on Bernini a few years back, but otherwise it's usually kind of sparse. On the other hand, they have cool presentations in the theater. I saw Cappella Romana singing choral pieces from the loving Late Byzantine period. Holy poo poo it sounded cool.

cafel posted:

LACMA is alright, but it pales in comparison to some of the older cities art museums. When you compare it to the Art Institute of Chicago, or the Metropolitan Museum of Art, LA really doesn't have an institution that packs as punch as other major US cities. Though if you aggregate art museums across the greater LA area and make some kind of mashup of the Getty Museum and Villa, LACMA, the Norton Simon Museum, MOCA and MOMA, maybe you get something comparable.

No, you're not wrong, it is definitely not the Met. But it's good for LA, and it does have some impressive pieces. Thank you for reminding me about the Norton Simon, though - that's actually probably my favorite art museum in LA.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Jul 30, 2014

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
The Denver Art Museum is surprisingly good. The Portland Art Museum is unsurprisingly not good.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Joementum posted:

Some of the best places to visit in CA are those that really shouldn't exist, but do because it's CA, like the Rosicrucian's in San Jose, or the Winchester Mystery House in San Jose (San Jose double special!), or the Museum of Jurassic Technology in LA, or the abandoned Nazi ranch in Santa Monica, or Hearst Castle.

The Bottletree Ranch is kind of cool too, but requires driving to Victorville, so it's not worth it.

holy poo poo what

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

holy poo poo what

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2012/04/30/abandoned-nazi-compound-withers-away-in-the-hills-of-pacific-palisades/

Built by some American Nazis on the assumption that after Hitler conquered Europe he'd come visit Hollywood and chat up celebrities.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

holy poo poo what

Basically, a couple built a ranch in the hills above Santa Monica so they could Go Galt when the Nazis inevitably (in their mind) took over the US.

Turns out that they didn't need it in the end, so it's abandoned and you can hike up and check it out.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
oh I almost thought Charles Lindbergh came to the Central Coast or something, sounds pretty interesting

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

cafel posted:

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2012/04/30/abandoned-nazi-compound-withers-away-in-the-hills-of-pacific-palisades/

Built by some American Nazis on the assumption that after Hitler conquered Europe he'd come visit Hollywood and chat up celebrities.

What a badly written article. It sounds like an interesting place though.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
I'm also totally serious about the Rosicrucians as a thing you need to visit if you're in downtown San Jose.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

Joementum posted:

I'm quite fond of the International Art Museum near The Tenderloin, San Francisco. Presumably its newly opened sister museum, the H.H. Dorje Chang Buddha III Museum of Art in Los Angeles is similarly fun

It is run by this Buddhist cult: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=764831296884579&set=vb.290838244283889&type=2&theater

Someone else's trip report, which still applies except it's free now:

http://sexistentialcrisis.com/2011/12/01/about-the-time-i-accidentally-visited-a-cult/

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Yessssssss, that is exactly the type of thing that is worth your time visiting in California and I'm going to mark that one off on my list for my next visit because I haven't been yet.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
I've never been further east than Rock Island, IL

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Joementum posted:

I haven't really looked into it but I do know that it's what happens when you build a museum with basically unlimited money and they've probably got some crazy high tech architectural poo poo in place to prevent that from happening. I'm far more worried about all the poo poo built before the 90's falling off hills.

The Getty Villa is also legit awesome, so is the Getty Center. Kickass date spots that look expensive but cost almost nothing. And you can pretend you're at Starfleet HQ while there(Center).

Museum of Jurassic Technology is definitely one of those wierd rear end things that somehow exists in LA.

One weird one is Solvang, which is kind of an odd tourist trap of a Danish town in the middle of nowhere near Santa Barbara.

made of bees
May 21, 2013
The best thing about Getty is that high note he hits in Cygnus X-1.

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!

Joementum posted:

The Portland Art Museum is unsurprisingly not good.

It's true. It really is. :(

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Hedera Helix posted:

It's true. It really is. :(

When I visited two years ago they had an exhibit on early political cartoons that was interesting (unlike the D&D political cartoons thread, which is terrible), but the rest of the museum was really mediocre.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

Zeitgueist posted:

One weird one is Solvang, which is kind of an odd tourist trap of a Danish town in the middle of nowhere near Santa Barbara.

Ugh, one of my college roommates grew up there, would never stop talking about aebleskiver and akvavit. I'd think if you were raised in that environment you'd want to branch out from it, not embrace it whole heartedly.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

R. Mute posted:

e: oh we're talking about döners now. döners are very good. i like döners. another good thing is a dürüm. they are also good.

Why is this not a thing in this country? There is a relatively large Turkish community in this city, and yet I have not seen 20 döner places open up. Instead there's gyro. gently caress gyro. It's sliced too thin and spiced wrong. I am going to kidnap a Turk and force them to open a döner shop.

Aurubin posted:

I've tried it several times, but I really don't like falafel. I like chick peas and fava beans, just not fried I guess. Is this a failing on my part?

No. I don't like it either. If you like chick peas and fava beans, just get hummus-ful, which is just that in cooked, ground form, and goes well with fresh pitas. NOT PITA CHIPS, THOSE ARE AN ABOMINATION.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

made of bees
May 21, 2013
Anyone here still going on Reaganbook?

• Locked thread