Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
shawarma owns and is tasty

this is the page to discuss shawarma

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Swan Oat posted:

It is quite amazing. Which do you like better: lamb or turkey?

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
lamb my man

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013
Best shawarma I've ever had was a restaurant called Ranoush at the Delmar Loop in St. Louis. They also have middle aged women belly dancing.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
I've learned that you can't be picky when it comes to döner kebab here in the US :smith:

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

today i went to a bagel shop and had a bagel and it was very underwhelming.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

R. Mute posted:

anti-semite

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Joementum posted:

Some of the best places to visit in CA are those that really shouldn't exist, but do because it's CA, like the Rosicrucian's in San Jose, or the Winchester Mystery House in San Jose (San Jose double special!), or the Museum of Jurassic Technology in LA, or the abandoned Nazi ranch in Santa Monica, or Hearst Castle.

The Bottletree Ranch is kind of cool too, but requires driving to Victorville, so it's not worth it.

Hearst castle is neat but go when it's cool. The Winchester mystery house blows unless wondering around DIY Disasters: The Thread: The House is your thing

E: replace the mystery house with San Jose's tech museum for a much better day in San Jose

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Hedera Helix posted:

It's true. It really is. :(

Their Chinese Art collection is pretty good; it's just Arlene Schnitzer's private collection.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Boustan in Montreal, that's shwarma nirvana.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
I propose that the food of D&D chat be the sandwich. Not any particular sandwich, just the sandwich. Wraps do not count; what is wrong with you.

Paseo in Seattle makes a good sandwich with pig in. But of sandwiches with pig in, I wish that I could say that tenderloin sandwiches in Iowa are good, or could be good; however this'd be a lie, tenderloin sandwiches are a dumb idea and are Midwestern ennui and longing for a culture of substance between 2 pieces of bread.

Anyway that's my proposal,

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

R. Mute posted:

Why would you do that? Aren't you in Belgium? Why aren't you eating frieten all day, every day, until a fried shadow of your former self?

PS: Schwarma with fries is amazing. In a fat, Middle-Eastern roll. Or lahmacun. :getin:

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007

SedanChair posted:

I propose that the food of D&D chat be the sandwich. Not any particular sandwich, just the sandwich. Wraps do not count; what is wrong with you.

Paseo in Seattle makes a good sandwich with pig in. But of sandwiches with pig in, I wish that I could say that tenderloin sandwiches in Iowa are good, or could be good; however this'd be a lie, tenderloin sandwiches are a dumb idea and are Midwestern ennui and longing for a culture of substance between 2 pieces of bread.

Anyway that's my proposal,

AHEM:

Swan Oat posted:

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Help, I'm being oppressedrepressed

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

SedanChair posted:

Help, I'm being oppressedrepressed

Unless your oppressionrepression is being slowly, roughly sliced off a turning spit, speak not of it on this page.

vvv That, folks, is the wrongest opinion on this page. Unless this is going to be a torture device, in which case, I'll allow it.

illrepute
Dec 30, 2009

by XyloJW
The chicken shwarma is going to be the official food of whatever dictatorship I end up serving.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Why would you do that? Aren't you in Belgium? Why aren't you eating frieten all day, every day, until a fried shadow of your former self?

PS: Schwarma with fries is amazing. In a fat, Middle-Eastern roll. Or lahmacun. :getin:
as per the rulebook of multicultural leftism, i'm obliged to rotate different types of food. i would eat only fries, but i just can't.

the bagels, however, weren't my choice. i went to get lunch with some friends and they dragged me to the bagel shop. the alternative would have been thai food

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
There is a great shawarma place in Glendale called "Best Shawarma." It is indeed pretty drat good.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

I wonder how many shawarma shops have peeling bootleg Thors and Iron Man decals still. I would love to see if lamb prices fluctuated when the Avengers came out. I remember seeing how Raytheon's stock dropped after Obama decided not to bomb Syria.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Unless your oppressionrepression is being slowly, roughly sliced off a turning spit, speak not of it on this page.

Best schwarma I ever had was in a Lebanese cafe who's name I forget, in Ottowa back in 2001 or so. I could go for some right about now, or maybe a sandwich SEE I'M BUILDING BRIDGES HERE.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I've been known to schwarm.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
There's good shwarma and good bagels really close to my house

Authentic korean sushi! (I love that they advertise as such)

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
Ooh, I remember now-best shawarma in LA is downtown. Shawarma Factory, on W. 7th near Pershing Square.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Best schwarma I ever had was in a Lebanese cafe who's name I forget, in Ottowa back in 2001 or so. I could go for some right about now, or maybe a sandwich SEE I'M BUILDING BRIDGES HERE.

You're not suppose to eat it at a cafe, or a restaurant. The shwarma place is a temple to the spit. There should be several spits, one for each type of meat, and maybe a bit of room to sit down, although that is entirely secondary. You order the shwarma. The person at the counter asks you whether you want a pita or a roll. If there is lahmacun, that is the answer. Then whether you want hummus. The answer is yes, so her rubs the inside with humus. Then he reverently slices off rough pieces of the meat you asked for. He asks you if you want the fat. You do want the fat. Then he asks if you want fries. You do want fries. Then he asks if you want tahini over it, and whether you want any vegetables. You want cabbage. And then you pay, and you take up your glorious meal, and you eat it. And it is amazing. Also you have made a mess of yourself, but you don't care, nobody cares, this is paradise.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Afghan naan is the best bread. Somebody get a cleric to declare a fatwa about this.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
Mmmmm, or fuckin bolani. Afghan food is beautiful.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

food

chaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

That street in the distance is making me claustrophobic.

Aurubin fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Jul 30, 2014

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
Tahdig is literally the best thing ever, who'd have known that the tough crunchy rice at the bottom of the pot would be so tasty

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

That Nazi/refugee camp is off the Sullivan Fire Trail, which runs parallel to the 405 from the Palisades to the valley. You can park up on D'Este Drive, run into celebs out for a stroll, walk past Dennis "rides to the moon" Tito's compound on the right and Steven Spielberg's compound to the left, then hike the trail till you get to the big iron gate.

I left L.A. earlier this year, but here are the Musts I'd recommend for tourists, or residents:

* walking the Venice boardwalk, then the Venice canals, then Abbott Kinney Blvd. Kill the mime on the boardwalk for me, but drop a dollar in Brother Ibrahim's bucket if you see him.
* dim sum at Ocean Seafood in Chinatown
* walking the grounds of St. Peters by the Sea in Palos Verdes
* seeing Wayfarers Chapel in Palos Verdes
* movie night at the cemetery
* Canter's Deli on Fairfax
* Mexican food at El Cholo, Pancho's Tacos, or La Cabana in SM/Venice
* the aforesaid Getty Villa, and the gardens at the Getty Museum, which are usually better viewing than the exhibits.

Don't expect to find a good gyro, a good Italian beef, a good hotdog, or good pizza anywhere in metro L.A. Just don't even try.

eta: How could I forget ChaCha Chicken, especially with island-food-chat?

Willa Rogers fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Jul 30, 2014

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Willa Rogers posted:

Don't expect to find a good gyro, a good Italian beef, a good hotdog, or good pizza anywhere in metro L.A. Just don't even try.

I don't think anyone expects to find good food in LA.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!

Willa Rogers posted:

* walking the Venice boardwalk, then the Venice canals, then Abbott Kinney Blvd. Kill the mime on the boardwalk for me, but drop a dollar in Brother Ibrahim's bucket if you see him.

Just watch out for sudden freak lighting, apparently that's a problem now. Probably global warming.

quote:

* Canter's Deli on Fairfax

Langer's or death. :colbert:

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Joementum posted:

The Mexican food there rocked my world.

eta: Lula's on Main St. in SM also does great Mexican.

etaa: First week back home:

Willa Rogers fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Jul 30, 2014

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Joementum posted:

I went down to Irvine and the sushi was insane.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
My grandfather owned the first full nude go-go bar in L.A. county. His business was protested by one of the local pastors, so he invited the pastor to preach on stage with the dancers. The offer was accepted for at least one night.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Was the thing about Caro being in a Syrian prison begging to be killed the last anyone's heard of him? I have a feeling he's dead but a small part of me would really really like it if he rolled up with a new parachute account in a couple years and was like "guys I have the craziest loving story" in here.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Willa Rogers posted:

i did that just this past friday! best part was the hugely fat guy sitting on a bench blasting biggie smalls from the worlds tinest boombox, smoking a gigantic blunt telling everyone who walked past that they were beautiful

you stay cool, fat weed man

paranoid randroid fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Jul 30, 2014

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Absurd Alhazred posted:

You're not suppose to eat it at a cafe, or a restaurant. The shwarma place is a temple to the spit. There should be several spits, one for each type of meat, and maybe a bit of room to sit down, although that is entirely secondary. You order the shwarma. The person at the counter asks you whether you want a pita or a roll. If there is lahmacun, that is the answer. Then whether you want hummus. The answer is yes, so her rubs the inside with humus. Then he reverently slices off rough pieces of the meat you asked for. He asks you if you want the fat. You do want the fat. Then he asks if you want fries. You do want fries. Then he asks if you want tahini over it, and whether you want any vegetables. You want cabbage. And then you pay, and you take up your glorious meal, and you eat it. And it is amazing. Also you have made a mess of yourself, but you don't care, nobody cares, this is paradise.

"Cafe" may be overstating the joint in question, since it was basically a deli window with a few small tables. It had that meat-wheel thingy right behind the counter, that counts right?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
I'll call any place that makes that thing a cafe if it likes.

poo poo I'll call it "Dad"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Why is this not a thing in this country? There is a relatively large Turkish community in this city, and yet I have not seen 20 döner places open up. Instead there's gyro. gently caress gyro. It's sliced too thin and spiced wrong. I am going to kidnap a Turk and force them to open a döner shop.

No. I don't like it either. If you like chick peas and fava beans, just get hummus-ful, which is just that in cooked, ground form, and goes well with fresh pitas. NOT PITA CHIPS, THOSE ARE AN ABOMINATION.

Gyro owns, especially with lettuce, onion, tomato, and a ton of sauce on a warm fresh pita.
Pita chips are as stupid as boiled peanuts, and I mean that exactly the way it sounds.

Thank you.

• Locked thread