Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

WOKE UP IN THE DESERT AGAIN

FAT SLAMPIG posted:

Vas has a good rant in the Education Thread.

Go look at it.

Seriously. I'm already leaning towards changing my major but that was really good stuff.

Whip punishing a dumb vet for showing his face in a vet resource thread on the other hand.. ehh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT
Leaning towards holy gently caress the light loving shineth

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
i tolerated blue squares until i realized he's beyond help

I'VE BEEN DOING THIS poo poo FOR FIVE YEARS I KNOW WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT gently caress YOU

i work with homeless vets now

i hope he becomes homeless

(he will)

gleep gloop
Aug 16, 2005

GROSS SHIT
(homeless but happy)

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

Vasudus posted:

i tolerated blue squares until i realized he's beyond help

I'VE BEEN DOING THIS poo poo FOR FIVE YEARS I KNOW WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT gently caress YOU

i work with homeless vets now

i hope he becomes homeless

(he will)

I hope he's one of your cases

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
i'm spending all day tomorrow making a new education thread

it will have an entire separate post dedicated to why the gently caress you should pick marketable skills and then take ~your great passion~ classes for a minor

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

I'm going to get my dumb question out of the way now so I don't poop up the first page of the new education thread.

I'm scared of math and science and am not really interested in computers. I enjoyed the one Logic class I took. I don't like working 40+ hours a week. What major should I be looking into?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Victor Vermis posted:

I'm going to get my dumb question out of the way now so I don't poop up the first page of the new education thread.

I'm scared of math and science and am not really interested in computers. I enjoyed the one Logic class I took. I don't like working 40+ hours a week. What major should I be looking into?

finance

if you become a CPA you only work long hours like one month out of the year

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Victor Vermis posted:

theater and or marketing.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Victor Vermis posted:

enlist

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
get better at math

everyone is bad at math

then they do math

then they aren't bad at math

then they get a job

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Vasudus posted:

get better at math

everyone is bad at math

then they do math

then they get a job

wisdom

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

unless you suffer from an actual learning disability you can learn math no matter how much you dislike it

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Hello. The Wayside story books really spoke to me. What major do I major in for writing wayside story good books?

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I finally had something snap in my brain while I was cutting up poo poo the other day at work that I need to get off my rear end and make progress again. Hooters is fun and all, I like working there, but I don't care to do this poo poo 40 hours a week much longer. My disability rating came through a while back, the house is paid up and will sell this winter, and once I get through August I can start letting my knife skills slide again, because gently caress going to work when the government is going to be giving me the money to legit sit on my rear end in the library.

That was a big part of my problem before. I would leave class, go to work, cook for 5-8 hours and be loving beat by the time I got home. I never studied, I worked 30-40 hours a week, and was trying to constantly pull 12-15 hours. And on top of that had to live with a oval office wife that never put out and just focused on her numbers (credit score, bank acct, weight, etc). She was miserable, I was miserable, good loving riddance.

I have absolutely no excuse to gently caress calculus up again, I'll have no job to fret about so I can take the time to focus at campus instead of playing gently caress-gently caress games at the house because I'm too comfortable and can readily spark a bong whenever.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

holocaust bloopers posted:

Hello. The Wayside story books really spoke to me. What major do I major in for writing wayside story good books?

the 21st century version is probably just smoking weed all day and self publishing on amazon until you get picked up by a real publisher

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

Vasudus posted:

get better at math

everyone is bad at math

then they do math

then they get a job

That's what they said about pull-ups!

I'll keep this in mind.

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

finance

if you become a CPA you only work long hours like one month out of the year

Nice. This was my original idea which I bailed on very quickly. I might just have enough GI Bill left to pull it off, too.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
i suggest you keep following your film career dreams, you can do it, all you have to do is believe!!!!

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

GENDERWEIRD GREEDO posted:

unless you suffer from an actual learning disability you can learn math no matter how much you dislike it

i tutored a vet for a semester that had TBI so bad he was visually impaired in one eye. he had serious cognitive impairment.

he got a B- in statistics

not even brain damage is an excuse provided you actually get help

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

well i guess if you want to be a CPA you should get an accounting major but it's not like finance wouldn't work since it's just a certification program

for real though I bet CPA is a chill job plus you build years-long relationships with clients

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
different businesses have different fiscal years so if you're in commercial accounting then you'll be working modestly all year. My uncle did that poo poo until he fell out of his bitchin' 1987 Monte Carlo SS at a gas station during a massive heart attack at 45.

Yeah..... gently caress accounting.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

i don't think working a modest job that pays well and driving a sweet rear end monte carlo killed your uncle

man the 00's were not kind to that model, what a loving ugly thing it turned into

Helldump Immunity.
Aug 2, 2013

Fuck you

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
well yeah, family history of heart trouble on that side but even then he was the youngest to go in that family that wasn't in some horrible farming accident.

Also he wasn't super fat, that's the other side of my family. This guy was 6'2" and maybe 160 when he died. Pretty sure stress was the contributing factor anyhow. Dude was super-catholic and had something like 8 kids, on top of a stressful job that he constantly pulled 60 hour weeks at.

Chevy just keeps making GBS threads up its lineage. It's like they're on an express train to Chrysler quality.

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Jul 30, 2014

Whip Slagcheek
Sep 21, 2008

Finally
The Gasoline And Dynamite
Will Light The Sky
For The Night

LITERALLY SHAKING posted:

I finally had something snap in my brain while I was cutting up poo poo the other day at work that I need to get off my rear end and make progress again. Hooters is fun and all, I like working there, but I don't care to do this poo poo 40 hours a week much longer. My disability rating came through a while back, the house is paid up and will sell this winter, and once I get through August I can start letting my knife skills slide again, because gently caress going to work when the government is going to be giving me the money to legit sit on my rear end in the library.

That was a big part of my problem before. I would leave class, go to work, cook for 5-8 hours and be loving beat by the time I got home. I never studied, I worked 30-40 hours a week, and was trying to constantly pull 12-15 hours. And on top of that had to live with a oval office wife that never put out and just focused on her numbers (credit score, bank acct, weight, etc). She was miserable, I was miserable, good loving riddance.

I have absolutely no excuse to gently caress calculus up again, I'll have no job to fret about so I can take the time to focus at campus instead of playing gently caress-gently caress games at the house because I'm too comfortable and can readily spark a bong whenever.

Spongebob is turning his life around? A true GiP success story here, boys.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
i think it's a problem with my message too

i keep telling people to take math like it's something that they'll use every loving day and have to spend hours doing like beautiful mind poo poo or something

you can make almost any major work if you know your limitations are out the door

i have a masters in sociology and i'm about to get a job making an obscene amount of money and it's working in field

i have a quantitative background though, that's the reason

krispykremessuck
Jul 22, 2005

unlike most veterans and SA members $10 is not a meaningful expenditure for me

I'm gonna have me a swag Bar-B-Q
idk the most shocking part of that statement is that hooters is giving him 40 hours a week. he'll probably be back to wallowing in his own poo poo in a couple weeks

Victor Vermis
Dec 21, 2004

Slim Pickens posted:

i suggest you keep following your film career dreams, you can do it, all you have to do is believe!!!!

Institutionalized education doesn't get my art, though.

I don't need to be taught how to stand in front of a mirror, naked, with a go-pro strapped to my head and foam Incredible Hulk fists pulled over each hand.

See ya on the festival circuit.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

krispykremessuck posted:

idk the most shocking part of that statement is that hooters is giving him 40 hours a week. he'll probably be back to wallowing in his own poo poo in a couple weeks

always a possibility, but now I actually want to go back, not being forced into it by a oval office.

pkells
Sep 14, 2007

King of Klatch
This english paper I just finished marked the end of the last bullshit class I'll ever have to take. Just need to make it through 19 hours of civil engineering courses in the fall and I'll be done with my 10 year journey for a college degree.

If you want an easy STEM degree, go for civil engineering. You still have to take all the math courses through dif eq's, but you never touch them again afterwards. And when you're done you have the option to not be stuck inside behind a computer all day (who am I kidding, loving goons)

Fucitol
May 8, 2005

Ceterum autem censeo mundum esse delendam

Memento, homo, quia pulvis es, et in pulverem reverteris

pkells posted:

This english paper I just finished marked the end of the last bullshit class I'll ever have to take. Just need to make it through 19 hours of civil engineering courses in the fall and I'll be done with my 10 year journey for a college degree.

If you want an easy STEM degree, go for civil engineering. You still have to take all the math courses through dif eq's, but you never touch them again afterwards. And when you're done you have the option to not be stuck inside behind a computer all day (who am I kidding, loving goons)

proud of u

two semesters left until a piece of paper dictates that i am not a dummy :patriot:

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

It's about that time of the year to update my resume. May try to get out of my department and try my luck somewhere still in-company.

Anyone have a good template for this? I'm pretty sure my MS Word one does nothing but convey desperation.

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009
be sure to include your dick size, as long as its above average

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
do your resume in powerpoint and save it as a pdf

it takes longer to do basic tasks but it saves a shitload of time with formatting and making it pretty

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

be sure to include your dick size, as long as its above average

Volume or length this is important

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
dick status: hung like a copenhagen can

Kung Fu Fist Fuck
Aug 9, 2009

Vasudus posted:

dick status: hung like a copenhagen can

rednecks cant get enough

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

FAT SLAMPIG posted:

It's about that time of the year to update my resume. May try to get out of my department and try my luck somewhere still in-company.

Anyone have a good template for this? I'm pretty sure my MS Word one does nothing but convey desperation.

I can send you mine. I've sent it to a few people who all landed internships or jobs using the template so it's not the worst thing in the world.

edit: spongebob is turning his life around, victor is thinking about switching majors, we're talking resumes....is the drunk thread broken?

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Vasudus posted:

do your resume in powerpoint and save it as a pdf

it takes longer to do basic tasks but it saves a shitload of time with formatting and making it pretty

This is news to me, honestly.

I mean, basically what I know offhand is

-contact info/education poo poo
-past 7 years work history plus any job-applicable stuff from beyond that
-copy/paste skills from the job description of the job you're applying to
-should all fit on one page, separate sheet for references

Am I wrong with this? I haven't completely redone this poo poo in about 4 years, so I'm a bit rusty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

holocaust bloopers posted:

I can send you mine. I've sent it to a few people who all landed internships or jobs using the template so it's not the worst thing in the world.

Word, i'll pm you my address, thanks dude.

• Locked thread