Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Rubies posted:

Anyway are they considered in the same league as Chucks? Like, mostly teens, programmers, manchildren, and small amount of adults who are fun enough to pull them off. I want some cause I remember really liking them but I don't want to look like a goof.

Until I read your explanation, I would have taken "in the same league as Chucks" to mean something like "simple, basic, goes with everything, and absurdly common, almost to the point of invisibility." But then I'm pretty much fashion-blind, and I'm also in one or two of your Chuck-wearer categories, so it's probably not a very smart idea to take fashion advice from me. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dupersaurus
Aug 1, 2012

Futurism was an art movement where dudes were all 'CARS ARE COOL AND THE PAST IS FOR CHUMPS. LET'S DRAW SOME CARS.'

Rubies posted:

Are Doc Martens considered too "teenagery" for a 29 year old? I remember back in the early 2000's me and all my friends wanted Docs and some of it was tied into punk and "mod culture" (which was weirdly popular in the US at that time), but they were also must-haves for people who didn't subscribe to any subculture or anything. From that point, as a teen, until now I haven't thought about them or kept an eye out for people wearing a pair.

Anyway are they considered in the same league as Chucks? Like, mostly teens, programmers, manchildren, and small amount of adults who are fun enough to pull them off. I want some cause I remember really liking them but I don't want to look like a goof.

This is for someone in the States btw.

There's a boot thread in YLLS that'll probably be able to give you nuanced answer about them, but I think they're perfectly decent boots if you subscribe to the Doc Marten Look. Depending on what you plan to do with them, there may be better brands out there. I got a pair of DMs but I find the sole to be way to big and chunky, and really only use them these days as snow boots. Now I've got a pair of Red Wing Iron Rangers that -- while more expensive -- are much more versatile since they work well with everything from crappy jeans to khakis, and are much easier to just wear around.

tl;dr They're fine if you've got the fashion nuance, but might be problematic if you don't.

samizdat
Dec 3, 2008

Powered Descent posted:

Until I read your explanation, I would have taken "in the same league as Chucks" to mean something like "simple, basic, goes with everything, and absurdly common, almost to the point of invisibility." But then I'm pretty much fashion-blind, and I'm also in one or two of your Chuck-wearer categories, so it's probably not a very smart idea to take fashion advice from me. :)

Honestly, I see Chucks everywhere. They get away with being overpriced because they are so acceptable. I'd say you're more safe with a pair of Chucks than the boots unless you're able to pull off the look.

Babygravy
Jun 12, 2014

I am the gravy
Chucks are like $90 a pair here.. Mostly worn by hipsters and girls.

Rubies
Dec 30, 2005

Live Forever
Die Every Day

:h: :s: :d: :c:

Powered Descent posted:

Haha rock em, lots of people love Chucks and I was only being dramatic to drive home my point :P

e: SA should auto-smiley :P , it's one of my favorites.

Rubies fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Jul 29, 2014

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

In a cage match (1v1), who would win:

1) African Elephant
2) Polar Bear
3) Hippopotamus
4) Rhinoceros
5) Siberian Tiger

Lions are out because apparently their skulls are real soft. Other suggestions welcome too, humans notwithstanding.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Vegetable posted:

1) African Elephant
2) Polar Bear
3) Hippopotamus
4) Rhinoceros
5) Siberian Tiger

Lions are out because apparently their skulls are real soft. Other suggestions welcome too, humans notwithstanding.

I'm going to go with elephant, since there's video of elephants loving up hippos and rhinos.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Vegetable posted:

1) African Elephant
2) Polar Bear
3) Hippopotamus
4) Rhinoceros
5) Siberian Tiger

My money is on the five and a half tonner with two long, sharp tusks.

The furry ones would just end up as fluffy slippers.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Vegetable posted:

1) African Elephant
2) Polar Bear
3) Hippopotamus
4) Rhinoceros
5) Siberian Tiger

Hippos kill more than any of those animals so they got the experience.

I would say mosquitos though.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
A slightly gruesome question, so be warned: in the event of a murder in which the victim's body is in multiple pieces or otherwise unable to fit in a body bag, would an autopsy still be conducted to determine the cause of death? Does an autopsy happen every time someone is suspected murdered or just in certain situations?

I'm not a creep, I swear. Just a writer.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Captain Mog posted:

A slightly gruesome question, so be warned: in the event of a murder in which the victim's body is in multiple pieces or otherwise unable to fit in a body bag, would an autopsy still be conducted to determine the cause of death? Does an autopsy happen every time someone is suspected murdered or just in certain situations?

They would still want to determine the cause of death. The hacking apart of the body could have happened post mortem.

Generally speaking, an autopsy happens whenever someone dies somewhere other than a hospital, and hospice isn't involved.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

Captain Mog posted:

I'm in the UK and worked in a mortuary a long time ago, so this might not apply depending where you are or where your story is set. Every murder case we had (which were few and far between) had an autopsy even if the cause of death was really obvious. Sometimes family (edit: not in murder cases) would request an autopsy, and we'd do it just on that basis even if a doctor had signed the cause of death off already.

Once we had a guy who jumped off a bridge and broke almost every bone he had (carrying his body was like carrying a bag of liquid) and he still had an autopsy. I didn't have anything to do with the autopsies other than to log them and record victim details so I never knew what the eventual cause of death was given as, but they certainly had them.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Car/maybe a physics question. Say you're driving at 60 mph and gradually slow down to 20 mph where you remain for like 1000 feet or something, then you bring it back up to 60 as fast as you can. Will you go from 20-60mph faster than the time it takes to go from 20-60mph from a stop? Or if you go from 0-20 where you stay for a bit and then go to 60? If it's different is it because of the way the engines work or does it have anything to do with momentum or something?

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

EATIN SHRIMP posted:

Car/maybe a physics question. Say you're driving at 60 mph and gradually slow down to 20 mph where you remain for like 1000 feet or something, then you bring it back up to 60 as fast as you can. Will you go from 20-60mph faster than the time it takes to go from 20-60mph from a stop? Or if you go from 0-20 where you stay for a bit and then go to 60? If it's different is it because of the way the engines work or does it have anything to do with momentum or something?

The answer to your questions is "it depends what RPM your engine is at" when you resume the acceleration. If you're drag racing from 0-60, chances are when you hit 20 mph you're at a higher RPM and thus developing more power than if you were idling at 20 mph and then depressed the gas.

Babygravy
Jun 12, 2014

I am the gravy

Captain Mog posted:

Always yeah, it's how you confirm cause of death with no foul play.

gagelion
Jun 13, 2013

by XyloJW
If you could somehow scratch the inside of your throat without gagging, would it work better for an itchy throat than coughing?

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

gagelion posted:

If you could somehow scratch the inside of your throat without gagging, would it work better for an itchy throat than coughing?

This is unfounded conjecture, but I would guess no, not unless the reason your throat itched was a physical irritant you could scratch out. A lot of times the cause of an itchy throat is something like an allergy or an irritation that would be worsened by scratching soft tissues. You'd probably just end up with an itchy throat with scratches in it.

gagelion
Jun 13, 2013

by XyloJW

Nighthand posted:

This is unfounded conjecture, but I would guess no, not unless the reason your throat itched was a physical irritant you could scratch out. A lot of times the cause of an itchy throat is something like an allergy or an irritation that would be worsened by scratching soft tissues. You'd probably just end up with an itchy throat with scratches in it.

How exactly does coughing make your throat less itchy? Ive got a bad cold and been thinking about this

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

"You'll poke your anus out." - George Dubya Bush

gagelion posted:

How exactly does coughing make your throat less itchy? Ive got a bad cold and been thinking about this

Well it does and doesn't. You cough because the throat is irritated. Coughing further irritates the throat releasing antihistamines, like scratching a bug bites.

Your cough may also dislodge mucus irritating the throat.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster

EATIN SHRIMP posted:

That's way too complex of a question, but let's look into it!

For this problem, I'll assume you're driving a 2014 Honda Civic, because that's the first car I found the stats for.

This car has the following characteristics (converted to SI units):

Acceleration: 0-26.82 meters per second (m/s) in 9.1 seconds
Deceleration: 26.82 - 0 in 35.97 meters

So let's crunch some numbers!

For those first two, I can calculate the rate that the car accelerates. Assuming uniform acceleration (not reality), this car took 9.1 seconds to accelerate to 26.82 meters per second. This means it has an acceleration of 2.95 meters per second per second.

Knowing that it decelerated to stop in 35.97 meters, we can calculate that it can decelerate at a uniform rate of 2.68 meters per second per second.

So, it looks like the car can accelerate faster than it can decelerate.

Babygravy
Jun 12, 2014

I am the gravy
Personally I just drink lots of tea if my throat itches... Burn the itch away

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!

the posted:

That's way too complex of a question, but let's look into it!
:words:
You must not have read the question since, and no, it isn't that complex.

Provided you are in the same gear in both situations while going 20 mph, then there won't be any time difference. Starting from 20 mph will most likely feel faster from the sudden weight shift when accelerating.

gagelion
Jun 13, 2013

by XyloJW

Babygravy posted:

Personally I just drink lots of tea if my throat itches... Burn the itch away

good idea. i also went to the steam room today, seemed to help

pupdive
Jun 13, 2012

gagelion posted:

Here's something to try: gargle with warm salt water . It won't last but it will relieve swelling which sometimes makes things better, for scratch and itch, and pain. When I get sore throats I have to sleep sitting up, which reduces some of the irritation.

Not a doctor. YMMV. Don't swallow salt water.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

How much would it cost to buy all of Ayn Rand's works and then just never publish any of it again ever? Throw in a law firm on retainer or something to sue illegal distributors as well and I guess some kind of buy back or swap program. Would this actually work as a form of free market censorship?

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost

greazeball posted:

How much would it cost to buy all of Ayn Rand's works and then just never publish any of it again ever? Throw in a law firm on retainer or something to sue illegal distributors as well and I guess some kind of buy back or swap program. Would this actually work as a form of free market censorship?

And more important: how can we pitch in?

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

greazeball posted:

The Bavarian government does this with Mein Kampf (sans the buyback programme). It works pretty well in Germany.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

EricBauman posted:

The Bavarian government does this with Mein Kampf (sans the buyback programme). It works pretty well in Germany.

Meh. It would still exist out there on the internet. The best solution for bad speech is free speech.

I know plenty of people who have tried to to read Mein Kampf to see what was the big deal. Even if Hitler was crazy he must have had some nuggets of politically incorrect truth in there somewhere. Something that would maybe explain why Europe went apeshit over Fascism.

Nope, it's like trying to read up on Time cube theory. It's possible that it lost something in translation, but I doubt it.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

thrakkorzog posted:

Meh. It would still exist out there on the internet. The best solution for bad speech is free speech.

I know plenty of people who have tried to to read Mein Kampf to see what was the big deal. Even if Hitler was crazy he must have had some nuggets of politically incorrect truth in there somewhere. Something that would maybe explain why Europe went apeshit over Fascism.

Nope, it's like trying to read up on Time cube theory. It's possible that it lost something in translation, but I doubt it.

It does still exist on the internet. But you need to go out of your way (well, less and less) to download a PDF.
In Hitler's case it helps that there's a pretty strong stigma against offering this kind of content, even if it's hosted outside Germany and Austria.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

EricBauman posted:

It does still exist on the internet. But you need to go out of your way (well, less and less) to download a PDF.
In Hitler's case it helps that there's a pretty strong stigma against offering this kind of content, even if it's hosted outside Germany and Austria.

I understand the stigma, but I still think Germans ought to be allowed to read it. It's been almost 80 years. I doubt that Germans are going to try to bring around the fourth reich just because they finally got around to reading the non-sensical gibberish in Mein Kampf.

Babygravy
Jun 12, 2014

I am the gravy

EricBauman posted:

I own a copy, it's sitting on my bookshelf. Shame the author didn't sign it..

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
I was mainly replying to the logistics and legality of the matter. Those aspects work. Owning the rights makes it possible for the Bavarian government to prevent publishers from putting out, say a mass market paper back in German of Mein Kampf.

Whether or not it works (or is even necessary) on an ideological level is another matter.

Babygravy
Jun 12, 2014

I am the gravy
Anyone know when it would pass into public commons?

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
Assuming copyright stays at the current limits (which isn't a safe bet), Rand's death plus 70 years will be 2052.
Currently her estate is held by Leonard Peikoff, who is also the founder of the Ayn Rand Institute and who probably wouldn't part with the rights for any amount of money.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

zachol posted:

Assuming copyright stays at the current limits (which isn't a safe bet), Rand's death plus 70 years will be 2052.
Currently her estate is held by Leonard Peikoff, who is also the founder of the Ayn Rand Institute and who probably wouldn't part with the rights for any amount of money.
So, you're saying that Mr. Peikoff would hang on to the rights to the works in the face of being offered far more than they're worth in order to preserve the greater good? One might call that an act of... selflessness.

Checkmate, Objectivists!

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

Thanatosian posted:

So, you're saying that Mr. Peikoff would hang on to the rights to the works in the face of being offered far more than they're worth in order to preserve the greater good? One might call that an act of... selflessness.

Checkmate, Objectivists!

Wait until you hear about the Atlas Shrugged movie that was a commercial flop and turned to crowd funding for the sequel(s).

I think I'm remembering that right. There was also a hilariously wrong DVD box synopsis with the phrase "Ayn Rand's timeless novel of courage and self-sacrifice"

Baldbeard
Mar 26, 2011

The sore throat part of every cold is the worst part for me. I hate having a sore throat, and would rather have a violent whooping cough.
I've tried just about every remedy without success.

One time a doctor was telling me how all of those home remedies are bullshit and the only thing that actually works (as in speeds up healing rather than masking symptoms) is NSAIDs. Bacteria or whatever makes your throat irritated and swollen, so it's best to simply reduce the swelling directly. Pound Ibuprofin at the onsent of discomfort and keep taking the maximum dose, and by the time it's at its worst, the anti-inflammatory effect will be ramping up too. Works so much better.

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

Usually works for stuffy noses too. The kind where you can't actually blow out any snot.

Jerry Seinfeld
Mar 30, 2009

Baldbeard posted:

The sore throat part of every cold is the worst part for me. I hate having a sore throat, and would rather have a violent whooping cough.
I've tried just about every remedy without success.

One time a doctor was telling me how all of those home remedies are bullshit and the only thing that actually works (as in speeds up healing rather than masking symptoms) is NSAIDs. Bacteria or whatever makes your throat irritated and swollen, so it's best to simply reduce the swelling directly. Pound Ibuprofin at the onsent of discomfort and keep taking the maximum dose, and by the time it's at its worst, the anti-inflammatory effect will be ramping up too. Works so much better.

Ibuprofen is usually my go-to recommendation if people are having pain. It's cured my headaches, toothaches, lung pains, sore throats, everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.

Thanatosian posted:

Checkmate, Objectivists!

The main thrust of Objectivism is the pursuit of personal happiness, not merely profit. Peikoff would say that he has sufficient wealth and that his own happiness rests more on the promotion of Objectivism, and that no sum of money could counteract the loss he would feel if Objectivism was buried. This is not a selfless act for the greater good, but rather a personal decision regarding his own happiness.
Objectivism holds that laissez-faire capitalism is the best social order to promote personal choice and happiness, not that profit or capitalism is a good unto itself.

e: To clarify I think Objectivism is complete bullshit.