Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender
:smug: http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/san-francisco-burritos-really-are-better/ :smug:

ok it's actually pretty subjective BUT STILL

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.

Look at that face and look at that website. Would you trust their evaluation of burritos?

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
The great thing about eating is a burrito is you can eat it with one hand while using the other to tell anyone who references that article to get hosed.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Those pictures of dissected burritos are really bothering me.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

However bad that article might be, it is still a thousand times better than the 90% of goons in this thread who just say "x food is bad" or "y restaurant is good" with zero description or qualification whatsoever.

Telling me you think a thing is bad without saying why is only meaningful if I already know who you are and have some idea of your tastes and opinions. Otherwise it's just total loving useless noise. At least this article gives me points on which I can agree or disagree with the reviewer.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

frisco burrito bad, why restaurant is good

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

withak posted:

Those pictures of dissected burritos are really bothering me.

Also this.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

I live in the IE (ugh). Rosa Maria's isn't even the best burrito in the zip code, much less SoCal.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Burritos are a good soft taco ruined. (duck, run)

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
burritos with sour cream, guac, tomatoes, lettuce or even rice and all that extra crap are garbage. Always go basic. :colbert:

Popular and trendy as hell now but La Cumbre in SF (valencia st) and dowtown San Mateo have been great forever. We use to go to Gordo's out on Clement quite a bit for hangover food as well.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Usually I put a burrito in my hot sauce.

Illuminado
Mar 26, 2008

The Path Ahead is Dark

Keyser S0ze posted:

burritos with sour cream, guac, tomatoes, lettuce or even rice and all that extra crap are garbage. Always go basic. :colbert:

Popular and trendy as hell now but La Cumbre in SF (valencia st) and dowtown San Mateo have been great forever. We use to go to Gordo's out on Clement quite a bit for hangover food as well.

While you're around, you should go to this place.

El Pollo Feliz

Go on a Saturday afternoon, the grilled chicken is super fresh.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Inland Empire's own Riverside was named the 8th coolest city in the state, suck it Chicago and New York.

Local Paper is just as baffled as anyone else.
http://www.pe.com/articles/riverside-698482-list-cities.html

California had 7 of the top 20 in fact.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

FCKGW posted:

Inland Empire's own Riverside was named the 8th coolest city in the state, suck it Chicago and New York.

Local Paper is just as baffled as anyone else.
http://www.pe.com/articles/riverside-698482-list-cities.html

California had 7 of the top 20 in fact.

Hmm :raise:

quote:

“The ranking was a surprise to me,” Forbes reporter Erin Carlyle said Wednesday. “Riverside, I’m sorry to say, is considered cool primarily by the proximity it has to so many attractions it shares with Los Angeles and San Diego.

The “coolest cities” list, which ranked Washington, D.C., at No. 1, was a collaboration between Forbes.com and Bert Sperling, who runs bestplaces.net and has been measuring quality of life in cities and metro areas for 30 years. Also placing in California were San Francisco (No. 5), San Diego (No. 6), and behind Riverside, Oakland, Sacramento, San Jose, Los Angeles and Santa Ana.

I like the "proximity" to LA and SD attractions though. Try to drive from Riverside to one of those attractions on a Saturday morning, I could drive from Ukiah to SF in the same amount of time.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Riverside is like Republicanland, Inland Empire edition-- compared to Orange County or such.

It brings into question who made that poll or whatever.

jeeves fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Aug 8, 2014

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Riverside is cool because normally there is no reason to go there and if you do the 215 will swiftly take you away from it.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

I found the flaw in their reasoning:

quote:

Carlyle said Riverside grew 30.5 percent from 2000 to 2013, which pushed up its ranking. “We look at cities where population’s growing, as typically that’s indicative of a desirable area,” she said.

Inability to tell the difference between "I'm moving here because it's desirable" and "I'm moving because I can't afford my house in Irvine but I still work at an Irvine company."

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

jeeves posted:

Riverside is like Republicanland, Inland Empire edition-- compared to Orange County or such.

It brings into question who made that poll or whatever.

Riverside went to Obama in 2008 and was split in 2012.

The Inland Empire is rapidly turning blue. As more working families move out of LA and OC they demographics are shifting and are inching towards being a Democratic majority. Democrats already hold 2 of the 7 seats in Riverside county and the solid edge that Republicans once had has dropped 7 percent in the last 12 years despite a 10% increase in registered voters.

http://inlandempirecenter.org/blog/a-revobluetion-the-inland-empires-new-political-geography/

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

Chinatown posted:

Riverside is cool because normally there is no reason to go there and if you do the 215 will swiftly take you away from it.

Riverside is cool because https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7LvkIz99-o

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
Where in SF do you buy coffee mugs? I'm looking for those with concave sides, like you have at diners. Also where's a good military surplus store? Market Street used to have one near Hayes if I recall correctly but it seems to have closed. Barring military surplus, is there a store to buy folding knives, like Spyderco or Kershaw? REI doesn't stock much in that regard it seems.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Zwille posted:

Where in SF do you buy coffee mugs?
Amazon

Zwille posted:

Barring military surplus, is there a store to buy folding knives, like Spyderco or Kershaw?
Amazon

Seeing as how this is the tourism thread (as opposed to the locals thread) I'm going to assume that you're from out of town and not staying long term, and touristy spots aren't against your better judgment. There's a tourist-trap knife shop on pier 39 called "we be knives" that has your designer pocket knives, and another shop in San Francisco Japantown "Katachi" that's got ridiculous stuff like swords etc.

As for coffee mugs, you're looking at restaurant supply shops such as:
Kamei (7th st and Clement)
Forest Restaurant Supply (Cesar Chavez & Evans Ave)

Also the typical bougie chains like:
Crate & Barrel
Cost Plus
Pottery Barn

or lol big box stores:
Target
Wal-Mart (lol)

but if the restaurant supply shops don't have that specific mug you're probably better off ordering it online with next-day delivery to your hotel.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

Those tips are great! Yeah, I'd deliver it to my hostel but I wanna take a look at that stuff first, besides, those stores might stock other stuff to browse. Half the trouble is coming up with the names of the shops/stores and googling just leads you to Amazon mostly.

Thanks!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Would you like a hand-made ceramic art piece mug? Go to Ruby's Clay Center on Noe street in the Castro. You can walk in, check out the gallery, and then feel free to wander throughout the studio: most of the artists with spaces there have shelves of stuff for sale.

Send me a PM and I'll tell you who to chat with.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

I'm looking for something no-frills, but the gallery sounds interesting, I'll check it out when I go to the Castro, I'll send you a PM.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Zwille posted:

I'm looking for something no-frills,

I was going to say "ugly" but that works

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

go to literally anywhere and buy a lovely coffee mug, or go to a coffee shop and just walk off with one

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Also Amazon Lockers exist in San Francisco and you can order something to them and pick it up if you're going to be in town long enough.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Folsom Lake.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
Jesus.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
On the plus side it has saved the taxpayers a bunch of money because the new spillway project at Folsom is way ahead of schedule now.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
I never thought I'd be hoping for a tropical storm to hit the west coast, but here we are.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Blinkman987 posted:

I never thought I'd be hoping for a tropical storm to hit the west coast, but here we are.

We had something similar happen in Texas a while ago. If it's like what happened then the storm will totally evaporate and just leave everything very humid.

It won't though because COLD WATER CURRENTS YEAH!

Capn Jobe
Jan 18, 2003

That's right. Here it is. But it's like you always have compared the sword, the making of the sword, with the making of the character. Cuz the stronger, the stronger it will get, right, the stronger the steel will get, with all that, and the same as with the character.
Soiled Meat
I commuted for years up the Peninsula, via 280, and drove 680 on a regular basis to visit a friend in Walnut Creek. I used to love how green everything was in the winter months.

Not this year. :smith:

Well, it's always brown in the summer, but it never turned green this past winter.

RabbitMage
Nov 20, 2008
My roommate and I ventured over to campus for textbooks today (Humboldt State, nestled safely in the Great Green North) and he noted that the trees on campus are already showing fall colors. "No water? Eh, gently caress it, I'll try again next year."

Everything's brownish up here, too. Sorry trees.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
What's the deal with one-way car rent? Hotwire quotes me $300 for 10 days starting in SFO and dropping of in PHX but if I go to Alamo directly, there's a $300 drop-off charge on top that would push me over the budget. Can I trust the hotwire price if I book through them, or will I get hosed with the extra fee later anyway?

If it's the latter, is there any way to get a cheap car for a one-way trip? I recall hearing about companies needing to move their cars around (perhaps after someone's one-way rental) but can't find how to get in on that now.

Also, is hotwire insurance sufficient for someone with no other US insurance for liability coverage?

I had a whole bunch of other questions about California but if I can't get a car reasonably the whole thing falls apart :)

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

mobby_6kl posted:

What's the deal with one-way car rent? Hotwire quotes me $300 for 10 days starting in SFO and dropping of in PHX but if I go to Alamo directly, there's a $300 drop-off charge on top that would push me over the budget. Can I trust the hotwire price if I book through them, or will I get hosed with the extra fee later anyway?

If it's the latter, is there any way to get a cheap car for a one-way trip? I recall hearing about companies needing to move their cars around (perhaps after someone's one-way rental) but can't find how to get in on that now.

Also, is hotwire insurance sufficient for someone with no other US insurance for liability coverage?

I had a whole bunch of other questions about California but if I can't get a car reasonably the whole thing falls apart :)

Fox rental car is pretty cheap, but is California only.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

mobby_6kl posted:

What's the deal with one-way car rent?
Those are always a rip-off. It sucks.

Hopefully someday Zipcar and things like that will be nation-wide.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

mobby_6kl posted:

You might get a big drop fee at the end. Check the fine print.

Generally, Hertz actually is the cheapest one-way for whatever reason even though they are the often most expensive for non-one-ways. They also generally have the nicest cars.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

nm posted:

You might get a big drop fee at the end. Check the fine print.

Generally, Hertz actually is the cheapest one-way for whatever reason even though they are the often most expensive for non-one-ways. They also generally have the nicest cars.

Also Advantage is Hertz's discount brand now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo
Man I love living in this state. Mother Nature, when she gets going, is awesome.

(6.1 earthquake centered near American Canyon tonight at ~3:20 a.m.)

• Locked thread