Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!

Cais posted:

Usually they're one or the other.

Yeah as I remember the butterfly garden fiasco was a contractor struck a water main and turned the Innoventions area into a sinkhole nearly. They're working to get that fixed.

Or they could let Innoventions sink into the earth forever

that's a thing that they could do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
All the innovation is gone. The end.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

nbakyfan posted:

Can these discounts be used in conjunction with Disney employee discounts?

Can't stack discounts.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
So since i'm already booked for a deluxe resort during those dates, how does it work?

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

It doesn't. I tried to get this discount for you but there was no availability for your resort. I think they had like 5 rooms total across the board because I'm hearing all over the place that stuff was sold out. The reason being is that to apply the discount you have to rebook and I'm not 100% sure how that's going to work since you have airfare added to your reservation.

What I'm going to do is wait a few more days for the dust to settle and some 7 day holds to expire and see if anything comes up. The last thing I want to do is cancel you and have someone snag your room from under you. I'm working on it.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Appreciate you looking into it. It's odd because I would have figured the week I booked to be pretty slow, being late october/nov. Kids are all in school and such.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

Tigntink posted:

Appreciate you looking into it. It's odd because I would have figured the week I booked to be pretty slow, being late october/nov. Kids are all in school and such.

The Contemporary is a popular resort and I think October is becoming more and more popular, which surprises me too. I'm going to keep checking though. I checked last night and the only Deluxes left were Animal Kingdom Lodge and Polynesian. I wouldn't put anyone I liked at the Poly right now. It's a hot mess.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Jose Valasquez posted:

When I was working on booking my trip at the end of May I started writing a script that would check every five minutes to see if reservations were available for BoG on a certain day and text me if it was. I ended up getting a reservation for the day I was looking for about halfway through though. I should finish it and make it available to goons trying to book hard to get reservations

Jose Valasquez posted:

So I THINK I have the dining script working, but it needs some field testing.

I'd prefer to not distribute the actual script because I don't want it getting posted elsewhere or have a million people using it and defeating the purpose of creating the script in the first place or having Disney notice and block it, but if any goons have a trip coming up soon (the sooner the better since I figure reservations are more volatile as the date approaches) and are interested in helping with beta testing send me a PM with the date you are looking for, the restaurant, the number of people in your party, and either your email address or your cell phone number and carrier. I'll run the script for a few hours at a time over the next several days and see if there are any hiccups.

I've got enough people for testing now. If testing goes well I'll open it up to more people

Testing has gone fairly well for the dining script, so if anyone has a trip coming up in the next 3 weeks and want reservations send me a PM with the date, the restaurant, the number of people in your party, and either an email address or a cell phone number and carrier, I'll run the script and when a spot is open you'll get an email/text to let you know and you can log in and book it.

Running it for more than 3 weeks out just hasn't been very effective so it's not really worth it.

And now Disney has put a stop to it by implementing a CSRF token v:)v

It was fun while it lasted

Jose Valasquez fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Aug 1, 2014

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.

Braksgirl posted:

The Contemporary is a popular resort and I think October is becoming more and more popular, which surprises me too.

fuuuuuuck. That is my secret going to WDW with no crowds and not having it be 150 degrees time. :( Why jerks gotta figure out the good times to go?!

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Nathilus posted:

fuuuuuuck. That is my secret going to WDW with no crowds and not having it be 150 degrees time. :( Why jerks gotta figure out the good times to go?!

Yeah I am suddenly paranoid about my late-october trip being crowded.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

Hopefully, it won't be too bad, but there's pretty much nothing available in the discounts.

That's not to say that it's like jam packed because there's a bunch of rack rate rooms available. They're just running out of discount rooms. I've been hearing for awhile that Disney is trying to wean the public off discounts and I think they're doing just that.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Braksgirl posted:

Hopefully, it won't be too bad, but there's pretty much nothing available in the discounts.

That's not to say that it's like jam packed because there's a bunch of rack rate rooms available. They're just running out of discount rooms. I've been hearing for awhile that Disney is trying to wean the public off discounts and I think they're doing just that.

Well, they are hurting for money, obviously.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
If anyone comes in town and will be here for the 4th Friday.. don't miss the gourmet food trucks in downtown Windermere. About 15 minutes from the resort area and a do not miss if you are a foodie.

Bison steak with chimichurri on a hoagie with fries. The cupcakes, they never made it home. I did go back for another guava pictured on the lower left.

It's about a city block, 15+ trucks.. bring your chairs, tables, tents.. or if you are like some of the lunatics that live there include chandeliers and those fancy gas fire pits. And it's open container so you can stumble around with an open bottle of wine. *hic*

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Food and wine fest menus (no prices) got released and goddamn they're gonna have to roll me out of Epcot.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Food and wine fest menus (no prices) got released and goddamn they're gonna have to roll me out of Epcot.

If anyone else has the Chase Disney card I got an email for advance booking to the special events during this

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

I am psyched Scotland is back because the vegetarian haggis sounds delicious. (For those paying attention, yes the fat man did just say he's looking forward to something made of vegetables)

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

I'll be taking the family to F&W in November, has anyone done the Parisian Breakfast?
https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/dining/epcot/food-wine-parisian-breakfast/

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

skipdogg posted:

If anyone else has the Chase Disney card I got an email for advance booking to the special events during this

Guess I better double check my e-mail. Don't think I got that one.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

If anyone is interested in this sort of thing here's a video that was used for Traditions in both Disneyland and Disney World.

http://vimeo.com/101581710

Early 1970's - late 1980's is when it was used. Interesting watch. Gives you an idea of how Disney really was back then compared to now.

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!
The thing about Traditions back then was that it last multiple days - I've heard people say it lasted up to a week to get the full orientation. I wonder where this video fit into that timeline.

Cais
Jul 10, 2006
unicycler
I'll have to watch it later. I used to be a traditions coordinator here and have actually facilitated a couple of the classes.

I found the old power points and CDs that someone had ripped from VHS. They were some great hokey old videos. I'll have to send that link to my old managers heh.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

Just got confirmation for my Nov 2015 Disney trip. 2 nights club level at the Poly, 3 nights at AoA in a Lion King suite. Now just a year and a half to wait.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

We just booked our trip next year as well Feb 27 to March 6th in a Nemo Family Suite at AoA. drat Disney is expensive...it's our big hurrah though before my oldest starts school. It's worth it.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

skipdogg posted:

We just booked our trip next year as well Feb 27 to March 6th in a Nemo Family Suite at AoA. drat Disney is expensive...it's our big hurrah though before my oldest starts school. It's worth it.

Yeah, despite being Value, the suites at AoA rank up there in price with Deluxe resorts sometimes. But it's got immense size, so thats why they cost more. If you got a big family, worth it.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

7 nights, DDP, and 8 day park hoppers came in around 6300 bucks for 5 people.. 3 adults, 2 kids.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

AoA suites cost almost as much as a deluxe but you get so much more space. It's really all about value there. I get a 50% discount with my IATA card since I'm a TA and 2 nights at Poly club level costs $100 than 3 nights in a Lion King AoA suite. But we have 3 kids and we absolutely need the space. Our trip is around 2680 for 2 adults, 3 kids for 5 nights and 6 day base tickets.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

That's not bad at all. Future trips we will probably be more cost conscious with, maybe staying off site in a large condo. This trip is a special 'go all out drat the cost' trip for the kiddos and we want the full Disney experience.

Do you drive or fly? I know you live in LA, guessing you fly out of MSY? We're in San Antonio and tickets are expensive as hell right now and flying on Fridays isn't helping. I'm kicking the idea around of either driving to Houston for a direct flight to ORL, or even staying in Gonzales with family and flying out of MSY.

skipdogg fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jul 31, 2014

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.
If you have 2-4 extra days I'd consider driving. I've driven from both SA and Houston to Orlando multiple times and its not a hard trip. From Houston it's about 12-14 hours of straight drive time to Orlando. That's easily doable in one day if you have someone to drive in shifts with, or two if you're on your own and want to take it easy.

It's a pretty kickass drive, actually. I particularly like going over the atchafalaya basin and stopping at a hovel for some cajun food.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

skipdogg posted:

That's not bad at all. Future trips we will probably be more cost conscious with, maybe staying off site in a large condo. This trip is a special 'go all out drat the cost' trip for the kiddos and we want the full Disney experience.

Do you drive or fly? I know you live in LA, guessing you fly out of MSY? We're in San Antonio and tickets are expensive as hell right now and flying on Fridays isn't helping. I'm kicking the idea around of either driving to Houston for a direct flight to ORL, or even staying in Gonzales with family and flying out of MSY.

We drive. With family of 5, we just can't afford airfare. Plus, we just like having our own car so we can go get groceries to have breakfast and snacks in our room.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

Skeezy posted:

If anyone is interested in this sort of thing here's a video that was used for Traditions in both Disneyland and Disney World.

http://vimeo.com/101581710

Early 1970's - late 1980's is when it was used. Interesting watch. Gives you an idea of how Disney really was back then compared to now.

That's a pretty cool find. It actually made me get a little nostalgic for all the old animatronics I remember from back then. I'd be really curious to know what that video would consist of nowadays.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Doronin posted:

That's a pretty cool find. It actually made me get a little nostalgic for all the old animatronics I remember from back then. I'd be really curious to know what that video would consist of nowadays.

It's basically the same idea but with updated video. It was re-made fairly recently, I think.

TheBigBudgetSequel fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Aug 1, 2014

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

It's basically the same idea but with updated video. It was re-made fairly recently, I think.

So instead of fixing a robot for EPCOT and scenes from the Apple Dumpling Gang, it's all IT guys programming the Mine Ride and Frozen?

DTaeKim
Aug 16, 2009

The wife wants to run in the Princess Half Marathon in February 2015. I logged in and found it's practically sold out except for charity and tour groups. Does anyone have any experience in dealing with them? We'd like to make a five night stay while we're at it.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

DTaeKim posted:

The wife wants to run in the Princess Half Marathon in February 2015. I logged in and found it's practically sold out except for charity and tour groups. Does anyone have any experience in dealing with them? We'd like to make a five night stay while we're at it.

I can try to see what's available for you if you send me a pm.

freypies
Jan 6, 2014

Doronin posted:

So instead of fixing a robot for EPCOT and scenes from the Apple Dumpling Gang, it's all IT guys programming the Mine Ride and Frozen?

Pretty much. They were really pushing the New Fantasyland, and they had a lot of stuff about bringing guests into the movies. All the new Beauty and the Beast stuff got a lot of attention. This is just as I recall, it was quite a few months ago for me.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

freypies posted:

Pretty much. They were really pushing the New Fantasyland, and they had a lot of stuff about bringing guests into the movies. All the new Beauty and the Beast stuff got a lot of attention. This is just as I recall, it was quite a few months ago for me.

Interesting. I guess it must work at least a little bit. Based on the lone experience I had when I actually got a seat at Be Our Guest for dinner, it was about as close to walking inside any of the movies as you can go.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Doronin posted:

Interesting. I guess it must work at least a little bit. Based on the lone experience I had when I actually got a seat at Be Our Guest for dinner, it was about as close to walking inside any of the movies as you can go.

Be Our Guest was the most movie accurate enviroment in a theme park until Diagon Alley opened. (Interestingly, Diagon Alley copped Be Our Guest's daytime quick service model for Leaky Cauldron.)

freypies
Jan 6, 2014
I left before Diagon Alley opened. :negative:

I want to go back but I have to do actual college stuff before I can.

fingerpaint
Jan 9, 2014
Yesterday at the parks, my party decided to try and ride Seven Dwarves first thing. However, every other visitor to the park thought the same thing, and the line stretched all the way out to Dumbo! We decided to try for space and splash mountain instead, and saved Seven Dwarves for near the end of our tour, which worked out poorly because it had to stop for an hour due to inclement weather approaching. The ride was enjoyable enough, vlbut was it worth it to not do it first thing? I feel like the other headliners would have begun to fill up by the time we got out. Also, is it normal for Splash Mountain to completely drench somebody, because I rode it twice yesterday, and the second time was worse than Kali River Rapids, and it killed my iPod.

fingerpaint fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Aug 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!
Splash Mountain is super random. I've been drenched at times and completely bone dry others. I think it depends on the water level in the flume and the weight of your fellow passengers.