Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Captain_Maclaine posted:

"Cafe" may be overstating the joint in question, since it was basically a deli window with a few small tables. It had that meat-wheel thingy right behind the counter, that counts right?

Yes. Praise be. :worship:

SedanChair posted:

I'll call any place that makes that thing a cafe if it likes.

poo poo I'll call it "Dad"

That, too.

Dr. Faustus posted:

Gyro owns, especially with lettuce, onion, tomato, and a ton of sauce on a warm fresh pita.
Pita chips are as stupid as boiled peanuts, and I mean that exactly the way it sounds.

Thank you.

Save him from Thy wrath, Dönerpater, for he knows not what he speaks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
The Stamos will protect me.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
It sounds like you are saying that pita chips are a fantastical and delightful snack that make the world better. :colbert:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

paragon1 posted:

It sounds like you are saying that pita chips are a fantastical and delightful snack that make the world better. :colbert:

Not everything needs to be crackers, whitey!
:fuckoff:

Lyapunov Unstable
Nov 20, 2011
im never sure do cafes server coffee by definition, or is coffee just names after cafes?

one time I ate a swarama wrap but also ate some of the encasing foil, my teeth hurt but it was still delicious

Pong Daddy
Oct 12, 2012
Why is there so much pizza chat in the crazy email thread? Whole bunch of wrong opinions not acknowledging the greatness of Chicago or Anchovies+Jalapenos on pizza.

Also, any tips on how to do falafel up right at home? I'm experienced at making the patties (cumin, coriander, chickpeas, and red onion) and my family loved em and are expecting more.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Pong Daddy posted:

Why is there so much pizza chat in the crazy email thread? Whole bunch of wrong opinions not acknowledging the greatness of Chicago or Anchovies+Jalapenos on pizza.

Also, any tips on how to do falafel up right at home? I'm experienced at making the patties (cumin, coriander, chickpeas, and red onion) and my family loved em and are expecting more.

I think it's all about the deep-frying.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Pong Daddy posted:

what the gently caress is this

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
make sure the oil is hot enough by tossing a bit of falafel scrap in first. if it foams briskly, you are good to go.

i say this because i am a huge dumbass who will cheerfully toss a falafel into tepid oil and stare at it in wonderment as it falls apart into soggy garbage.

Pong Daddy
Oct 12, 2012

Badger of Basra posted:

what the gently caress is this

it's truth.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Dreylad posted:

isn't like, every country on an island, if you think about it??
Put down the bong, Dreylad.

Joementum posted:

Some of the best places to visit in CA are those that really shouldn't exist, but do because it's CA, like the Rosicrucian's in San Jose, or the Winchester Mystery House in San Jose (San Jose double special!), or the Museum of Jurassic Technology in LA, or the abandoned Nazi ranch in Santa Monica, or Hearst Castle.

The Bottletree Ranch is kind of cool too, but requires driving to Victorville, so it's not worth it.
Finally, I found Yasha Levine's sock puppet account.

Joementum posted:

My grandfather owned the first full nude go-go bar in L.A. county. His business was protested by one of the local pastors, so he invited the pastor to preach on stage with the dancers. The offer was accepted for at least one night.
Oh wait.

illrepute posted:

The chicken shwarma is going to be the official food of whatever dictatorship I end up serving.
Chicken shwarma is the chicken fajitas of shwarma.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

You're not suppose to eat it at a cafe, or a restaurant. The shwarma place is a temple to the spit. There should be several spits, one for each type of meat, and maybe a bit of room to sit down, although that is entirely secondary. You order the shwarma. The person at the counter asks you whether you want a pita or a roll. If there is lahmacun, that is the answer. Then whether you want hummus. The answer is yes, so her rubs the inside with humus. Then he reverently slices off rough pieces of the meat you asked for. He asks you if you want the fat. You do want the fat. Then he asks if you want fries. You do want fries. Then he asks if you want tahini over it, and whether you want any vegetables. You want cabbage. And then you pay, and you take up your glorious meal, and you eat it. And it is amazing. Also you have made a mess of yourself, but you don't care, nobody cares, this is paradise.
The only problem with real shwarma joints over here is that they either don't serve beer (all but Lebanese/Egyptian/Turkish) or they do serve beer (Lebanese/Egyptian/Turkish) but charge 20 prices for it.

The Warszawa posted:

Also, ReindeerF, how is Cambodian? I'm going to a Cambodian place this weekend and allowing for the likelihood that stateside Cambodian is a whole different thing, I figured I'd solicit input.
I can't believe people are actually opening Cambodian restaurants. It's a pretty forgettable food culture, really. It's like Thai without spices or quality ingredients. With that said, they have a few standout dishes like (everyone will recommend this) amok. Loc lac is not complex but usually quite good. Also they're really good with lemongrass. Anything with lemongrass.

If you're feeling ballsy ask to try something with prohok. Prohok is basically Khmer salsa.

EDIT: Note that I love Cambodia and it's pretty much my favorite country ever, so this is not MY TEAM RULES stuff here. Cambodia, within SE Asia, is notable for its excellent Western food, believe it or not.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Jul 30, 2014

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

paragon1 posted:

To the kind of person who thinks ruining a perfectly good peanut by making it soggy and bland is a good idea, I guess it would.
In fact, though, I am saying the opposite. Pita chips and boiled peanuts (BOILED PEANUTS!) should be relegated to the dustbin of history and all references to them erased 1984-style.

Thank you and God Bless.

Pong Daddy
Oct 12, 2012
The only boiled peanuts I've ever had were on a trip through Tennessee, me and my dad picked up 2 bags 'spicy' and regular.

They were the blandest piece of poo poo I've ever put in my mouth. gently caress boiled peanuts. You have soybeans! Make some edamame.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Boiled peanuts are some austere, moronic poo poo. Even if they tasted good, our society's too advanced to admit that could be a snack.

*is old, grizzled man* "Ye take some peanuts, an' ye boil 'em! An' like it."

e: beaten with correct opinions

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
edamame turns you gay, unlike god fearing peanuts. its true, I have seen footage.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!
At the shawarma place by my house if you order "shawarma" you get a turkey/lamb blend. They also have veal kebabs, which are nice. I mostly get kofta/adana though. I dunno, I'm a sucker for the spices in that stuff.

Pong Daddy posted:

You do realize that people who actually live in Chicago eat St. Louis style pizza right? It's called tavern pizza or just "pizza" and is 100% the default if you're ordering from any place that isn't a tourist trap. I mean, stuffed pizza ("chicago style") is good but it's not the sort of thing you eat on a regular basis.

St. Louis style pizza should probably be called Chicago Style pizza because I'm pretty sure it's from there, but chicago-style already meant something, so oh well.

EDIT:

paranoid randroid posted:

edamame turns you gay, unlike god fearing peanuts. its true, I have seen footage.

Men's Health Magazine posted:

But it was not Price's only symptom. His beard growth had slowed, he'd lost hair from his arms, chest, and legs, and he'd stopped waking up with morning erections. "My sexual desire disappeared," he says. "My penis—I won't say it atrophied, but it was so flaccid that it looked very small in comparison with the way it used to be.

moller fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Jul 30, 2014

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Peanuts also have a Darwinian aspect to them, which is important to remember. Do we really want the future to be run by kids with peanut allergies?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

moller posted:

At the shawarma place by my house if you order "shawarma" you get a turkey/lamb blend. They also have veal kebabs, which are nice. I mostly get kofta/adana though. I dunno, I'm a sucker for the spices in that stuff.

These are all correct choices of which I approve. And now I remember the few reasons I miss Israel. :sigh:

Pong Daddy
Oct 12, 2012
I live in downstate Illinois and was born in Aurora but welp, I guess I don't know what people in Chicago like.

edit: ignoring the fact that half my family lives there and I visit all the time. man pizza gets people angry.

Pong Daddy fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Jul 30, 2014

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Pong Daddy posted:

I live in downstate Illinois and was born in Aurora but welp, I guess I don't know what people in Chicago like.

I was actually disappointed to find this out because I love chicago-style pizza. But it's, uh, pretty much just for people from out of town.

http://chicagoist.com/2013/09/18/the_best_pizzas_in_chicago.php

Any list of "best pizzas in chicago" from a native writer will look pretty much the same. St. Louis, Wood-fired, and California-style.

It is a thing people fight about, though.

Edit: It's possible the rejection of stuffed pizza by native foodies is a recent trend. Much ink has been spilled about it.

moller fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Jul 30, 2014

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Pong Daddy posted:

edit: ignoring the fact that half my family lives there and I visit all the time. man pizza gets people angry.

You think that's a big one?

Define barbecue. :can:

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Absurd Alhazred posted:

you fool youve killed us all

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
Oooh, another recommendation for L.A.-chat: the Huntington Library & Gardens. Unbelievably gorgeous. Also if you're in that general east area, check out the giant Buddhist temple in Hacienda Heights.

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
i ate some chocolate covered pretzels today as a snack, let us discuss what things are good to cover pretzels in, instead of barbecue

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Tasty

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Boiled peanuts are great but only as a street food and only when it's cold enough outside you can see your breath, which in places where they're a thing means late November at the earliest.

Same deal with Brunswick stew, it's a street food made in giant 100gal cauldrons by some grizzled old dude. If you're getting that poo poo in a restaurant you done hosed up.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

A noun.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

So's your face.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Absurd Alhazred posted:

That thing that goes on before I take a nap.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I'm not 100% certain that California is a real place. It seems like it was created entirely as it is, as if someone had invented it for a book, rather than something arisen out of history that was built over the course of generations of human beings. Like it's just a jumble of random nothing with no context to it. What's real? The East Coast. My town has industrial pollution dating back to the 17th century that can still poison you! Is my attitude towards California the way insufferable Europeans feel about America in general? I know California is very pretty, the most populous state, and huge amounts of our culture and agricultural products come from there, I really do.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!

cheerfullydrab posted:

I'm not 100% certain that California is a real place. It seems like it was created entirely as it is, as if someone had invented it for a book, rather than something arisen out of history that was built over the course of generations of human beings. Like it's just a jumble of random nothing with no context to it. What's real? The East Coast. My town has industrial pollution dating back to the 17th century that can still poison you! Is my attitude towards California the way insufferable Europeans feel about America in general? I know California is very pretty, the most populous state, and huge amounts of our culture and agricultural products come from there, I really do.

The Spanish/Mexican have actually been here for a really long time, not as long as places further South, but they have been here for centuries. On the indigenous people front, if you go to the islands off the coast and know what to look for you can find some of the oldest human habitated sites on the continent.:ssh:

Though yeah, the stuff that involves peoples besides Native Americans or the Spanish tends to be kinda recent.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Swan Oat posted:

i ate some chocolate covered pretzels today as a snack, let us discuss what things are good to cover pretzels in, instead of barbecue

I'm certainly interested to hear fun options for pretzel coverings. Yogurt and peanut butter make great coverings for pretzels, hummus or (for soft pretzels) mustard are great dips (it's been too long since I had a good soft pretzel, come to think of it).

Someone else have ideas?

moller
Jan 10, 2007

cheerfullydrab posted:

Do you know why California is named California?

Neither does anyone else, really. The most popular explanation is that it was taken from the name of a fictional island of amazon women in a Spanish fantasy novel from the 1500s.

edit: unless that was :thejoke:

Swan Oat posted:

Yogurt, cheese, mustard. Depends on the type of pretzel, really.

moller fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Jul 30, 2014

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Are soft pretzels really a Belgian thing? There's a local Belgian-style (allegedly) bar which specializes in soft pretzels in various dips.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

cafel posted:

The Spanish/Mexican have actually been here for a really long time, not as long as places further South, but they have been here for centuries. On the indigenous people front, if you go to the islands off the coast and know what to look for you can find some of the oldest human habitated sites on the continent.:ssh:

Though yeah, the stuff that involves peoples besides Native Americans or the Spanish tends to be kinda recent.

Sure, but the mestizo culture that evolved from combining Spanish and Native American influences is still very much around, and it's been here for a pretty long time. I really only think you can say that California seems recent and doesn't seem real if you only focus on its white population. Racists.:colbert:

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
the two belgian restaurants both tout their amazing mussels. are mussels a belgian thing? if so that is a+ in my book because mussels are dope as hell.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Swan Oat posted:

the two belgian restaurants both tout their amazing mussels. are mussels a belgian thing? if so that is a+ in my book because mussels are dope as hell.

Could also be a muscles from brussels joke, couldn't it?

hamster_style
Nov 24, 2004
neenjah!

DemeaninDemon posted:

That thing that goes on before I take a nap.

The itis

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Majorian posted:

Sure, but the mestizo culture that evolved from combining Spanish and Native American influences is still very much around, and it's been here for a pretty long time. I really only think you can say that California seems recent and doesn't seem real if you only focus on its white population. Racists.:colbert:
Are these the ghosts that haunt the Winchester House? Or that concentration camp called California Adventure?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
Crosspost from the A/T bartending thread for gin drinkers: get yourself out there and buy a bottle of Leopold's Naval Strength. So glad I found this before November.

• Locked thread