Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sykic
Feb 9, 2004

Resist! Humanity demands it! Resist!
When did people start thinking Maulerfiends are good? I was under the impression most people hated them. I've yet to see one actually cause any damage and an immobilised Maulerfiend being all "Guys? I'm relevant! Honest!" in the middle of the table is a remarkably common sight around here. Is it a 7th thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BuffaloChicken
May 18, 2008
Finished two commission minis. It's fun to convert IG regiment models to other regiments.

I was asked to make the chubby Cadian Lieutenant into a Tallarn, and the Catachan Harker into a Mordian.

I think they turned out pretty darn well. Now to finish up that Squat unit, finally. Life has really been getting in the way of painting these past few weeks.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I know a lot of people say that Dark Angels are terrible, what is it exactly that makes them so bad?

Dump_Stat
Aug 12, 2007

The glue trap works perfectly!

Sykic posted:

When did people start thinking Maulerfiends are good? I was under the impression most people hated them. I've yet to see one actually cause any damage and an immobilised Maulerfiend being all "Guys? I'm relevant! Honest!" in the middle of the table is a remarkably common sight around here. Is it a 7th thing?

I see them run in pairs fairly often. They're not a be-all-end-all unit, but at least one of them will usually make it into melee and wreck stuff.

They provide an imminent threat at a decent price that has to be dealt with early on. If they make it into assault, awesome.

Dump_Stat fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Jul 30, 2014

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I know a lot of people say that Dark Angels are terrible, what is it exactly that makes them so bad?

Regular Space Marines get basically everything for equal or less points, the mediocre flyer and Land Speeder are fragile and cost too many points and they don't have access to some of the better Space Marine toys like the Thunderfire cannon.

They have a few points in their favour but regular Space Marines do almost everything they do for less points.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Owns as hell

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I think it's literally just their flyers. Aside from that, they are pretty much the same as vanilla marines minus the special characters, Centurions and the Siege Tank lookalikes.
Deathwing seems mediocre but Ravenwing bikespam is legit awesome and our local Dark Angel player is probably the only player that stands a solid chance against our local Iron Hands w/IK player.

Oh, and their special skimmer command thingo (looks like a Devilfish with wings all over it) looks hideous.

EDIT: I didn't know they didn't have access to the Thunderfire, that kinda sucks. There's some cool gimmicks though, like the relic that makes nearby Bolters into Salvo weapons.

HiveCommander fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Jul 30, 2014

Dump_Stat
Aug 12, 2007

The glue trap works perfectly!

BuffaloChicken posted:

Finished two commission minis. It's fun to convert IG regiment models to other regiments.

Both good, but this guy looks fantstic!

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Mostly it's just that Dark Angels have been left behind by the more recent codexes. Basic Space Marines are probably the best example of this. Dark Angels lack any real form of anti-air and don't have access to things like stormravens, thunderfires, or centurions. Their unique flyers are either mediocre (Nephilim) or godawful (Dark Talon). Deathwing are reasonably unique and have some cool special rules, but share the same faults as regular terminators. Personally, I'm a fan of Deathwing Knights, but they're not for everyone. Ravenwing run 27 points for a basic biker while regular space marines get them for 21 points. The Ravenwing bikers do get scouts, hit and run, teleport homers, and a unique squad set-up though. They also have Black Knights and some unique landspeeders. The Darkshroud is a great support unit and a decent addition to a bunch of lists. Meanwhile, the Land Speeder Vengeance is a hilarious pile of garbage that's more expensive than a Vindicator and can easily blow itself up in one shooting phase. No one should take that thing.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Safety Factor posted:

Meanwhile, the Land Speeder Vengeance is a hilarious pile of garbage that's more expensive than a Vindicator and can easily blow itself up in one shooting phase. No one should take that thing.

Is that the one that looks like a lootedre-purposed Devilfish?

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

Speaking of Dark Angels, I started throwing paint on a Terminator to figure out a successor chapter paint scheme.

I have no idea what I'd call a chapter that dresses like this, but I like it.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Dulkor posted:

Speaking of Dark Angels, I started throwing paint on a Terminator to figure out a successor chapter paint scheme.

I have no idea what I'd call a chapter that dresses like this, but I like it.

I'd almost call it the Minotaurs. :v:

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

JerryLee posted:

I'd almost call it the Minotaurs. :v:

If it was brown and red, sure!

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

There's red there and the brass color is well within the spectrum of variance I associate with Minotaurs paint jobs. :shrug:

The silver and olive details are wrong, I guess, so sue me for trying to make a joke. :v:

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

Nah, I got it. Tarnished gold and polished brass are definitely in a similar range, admittedly.

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER
Yeah, Minotaurs is what first came to mind. Probably a lot of people you'll play against will also assume you're running Minotaurs,so be prepared for that.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

Lord Hypnostache posted:

Yeah, Minotaurs is what first came to mind. Probably a lot of people you'll play against will also assume you're running Minotaurs,so be prepared for that.

Minotaurs are loving boss. Here's on of my Minotaurs terminators... I really need to start painting these dudes.

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

I do like the Greco-Roman vibe of the Minotaurs bits, but yeesh it's bad enough paying for some of the mainline chapter upgrades.

I'm not sure if I'm actually going to play these guys or not yet (basically I ended up inheriting the DA half of the Vengeance kit and figured I liked the aesthetics enough to paint 'em up at the very least), but it's not a big deal if someone thinks they're a canon chapter at first glance.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

This is more of a painting thread question but I've been painting my Minotaur test models with Warplock Bronze and Hashnut Copper, with a heavy Earthshade wash. I'm wondering whether to replace Hashnut with Runelord Brass instead.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

All of their flyers are mediocre to bad, and will be the only Marine chapter without their own flying transport once the space wolves come out.
They don't have Ironclads, Centurions, or Thunderfire Cannons.
Their 'unique' trait is Stubborn (always use base ld, can't voluntarily fail a morale test), which is more of a hindrance half the time than a bonus.
Despite being the plasma chapter, they have no particular bonus towards using such weapons.
Their bikers are more expensive than SM ones and are stuck with smaller squads (6 compared to 8), and White Scars flat-out do the same gimmick but better.
They can't take squads of attack bikes all on their own.
In order to have an all-bike or all-termie army they have to take expensive special characters, and in the case of Belial isn't very good.
Terminator sergeants are stuck with a storm bolter and power sword, and can't exchange them for anything else. Which is lame.
Taking land raiders as dedicated transports for terminators or knights requires an additional 30-point upgrade, which just makes them venerable.
Terminators are expensive and suffer all the same problems as any other brand of terminator.
Their Land Speeder Vengeance is far more likely to blow itself up with its own plasma cannons than actually kill anything.

Overall they just don't do anything particularly great, barring one or two gimmicky builds. They kind of need an update, or a new codex altogether, which might happen never.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
remove dark angels and put out chaos knights

poo poo just update the slaanesh ones from epic from 20 years ago

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Nova released their in progress FAQ for Warhammer 40k which I think is interesting.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/13mcnnnPW_nDoAKsWMDOQVnUi3hIizsVrNzppGggzEVs/pub

NOVAs FAQ even before I stopped playing was used in the interim to Games Workshop never ever releasing FAQs.

I know that most Tournaments use it as well. BAO and NOVA both follow the same and Adepticon is usually pretty close if not the same to NOVA.

Anyway thought it was a good resource.

It's also pretty spot on and fair generally except for that stupid "conjured units are not troops of your detachment", whatever.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Jul 30, 2014

Sir Teabag
Oct 26, 2007

Karandras posted:

If you're looking for Guard Allies you could take your Death Company (troops choice) and Chaplain (Elite or HQ), as a thematic and pretty killy unit. The Death Co have rage, FNP and reroll to hit and wound on the charge with the Chaplain. Then one or two of whatever else interests you. Tac Squads aren't that useful if you're guard, but if you stick the assault squad full of melta it could be a neat option to storm troopers, as Blood Angels get deep strike rerolls.

I hear old metal dreads are best used for throwing during games store tantrums

Thanks for the tips. I figured out one of the commander models is Tycho. I think I'll throw him in with the death company and buy them a rhino. Deep strike the assault squad with melts bombs. And I also found a land speeder with a multi melta after scrounging around a bit more! I may use the dreadnought too if I can get w cheap drop pod off Kijiji. But that might be getting w little points heavy for an allied detachment.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Hollismason posted:

It's also pretty spot on and fair generally except for that stupid "conjured units are not troops of your detachment", whatever.

This just discourages mass summoning lists, fears for which I think are a touch overblown but some people have a real problem with them.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Daemon summon lists are powerful but not practical money wise. I added up a few of my games on Vassal and Proxied in RL. Each time you want to summon, your basically in real world terms are having to spend minimally 20 bucks maximum 60, and that's if you are only going to ever summon only one type of Daemon ever, or one selection available to you. Double and Quadruple that if you want to be able to have options. You have to have a minimum of 2000 extra points of Daemons in addition to what your army is to play it. So like 5 to 7 thousand points of Daemons to do it proper with options etc..

Its a pretty fair FAQ, which and has consistently been that way. After it comes out people lean towards their interpretation.

Only crazy thing I found was

Chaos Psykers getting Chaos Focus and Primaris Focus, so a level 3 Tzeentch who picked all 3 powers from Malefic would have 5 spells. That's kind of crazy town.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
That works with Daemons but a model with a Mark would still need to generate at least one of his powers from his patron's school in the case of CSM.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Yeah, it sucks that almost all of the CSM book spells are garbage.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
I really need to get around to building and painting my Minotaurs with DKK Armoured Company support...

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.

Slimnoid posted:

Which begs the question: is the Command Rhino worth using? It doesn't really take up a slot, and helps with getting reserves out as well as acting as a teleport homer, but as my main army is Deathwing I'm not terribly worried about getting poo poo out of reserves (lol terminator alpha strike is horrible).

I think the Damocles rhino might have a place in some lists which are heavy on deep strikers and flyers, just to give you some control over your reserve rolls. That is, if you don't already have some sort of special rules or whatever helping you out. You get a single orbital bombardment out of it (lol) as well. I would take one in a larger game if I had committed a good deal of points to reserves.

Reynold
Feb 14, 2012

Suffer not the unclean to live.

Hollismason posted:

Only crazy thing I found was

Chaos Psykers getting Chaos Focus and Primaris Focus, so a level 3 Tzeentch who picked all 3 powers from Malefic would have 5 spells. That's kind of crazy town.

I thought that if you took a mark, while you got the primaris power for free, you still had to roll on the table for that god at least once. Have I missed a FAQ or is this another one of gee dubs unclear rules?

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Reynold posted:

I thought that if you took a mark, while you got the primaris power for free, you still had to roll on the table for that god at least once. Have I missed a FAQ or is this another one of gee dubs unclear rules?

No, you still have to do this. There's no ambiguity.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Chaos Daemons don't have that restriction like Chaos Space Marines, I should have clarified Daemons.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
I managed to snatch up a stormclaw box. Anyoke interested in buying the minirulebook and ork parts?

Creepy Goat
Sep 19, 2010
I have absolutely zero rule books or codices lying around, does anyone know of good chapter tactics that'd work for Minotaurs? I know there's the official Badab ones but they're terrible.

Just made a start on this guy I found at the bottom of a bits box and decided might as paint 1500 pts of bitz-scrounged mongrels to go with -

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.
Do Imperial Fists and have the big guy counts as Lysander. Not sure how accurate the rest of it is but what the hell.

Alternatively, do what I'm doing and use Salamanders. My guys have a boarding-party theme, with lots of flamers and melta and few vehicles, so Salamanders seemed appropriate.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
Is there a good resource for Craftworld Eldar tactics? I got back into the hobby for the first time since 4th Edition just a few months ago, mostly with the same models I bought for the old Biel-Tan army list back in the early 00's. I got my rear end kicked pretty ignominiously by Tau last weekend and need to learn how to run my army.

ZachAttack
Mar 17, 2009

Malevolent Hatform
Nap Ghost

DJ Dizzy posted:

I managed to snatch up a stormclaw box. Anyoke interested in buying the minirulebook and ork parts?

I would love me a mini rulebook. Do you have PMs?

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

zeal posted:

Is there a good resource for Craftworld Eldar tactics? I got back into the hobby for the first time since 4th Edition just a few months ago, mostly with the same models I bought for the old Biel-Tan army list back in the early 00's. I got my rear end kicked pretty ignominiously by Tau last weekend and pretty much need to learn how to run my army.

If you want, you can post your list here and we can discuss good options. For Eldar, Wave Serpents are pretty much an auto-include and help a good deal in weathering Tau fire.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe
Hey guys, we were talking last week about doing a meetup at Warhammer World. I started up a thread. So, for those who were interested at the time jump on over and let's organise this ole business.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3654234

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.

ZachAttack posted:

I would love me a mini rulebook. Do you have PMs?

Yep. Mind you, I do live in Denmark

• Locked thread