Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Some dickhead has been running his R6 with no silencer up and down the main road near my house for the last half hour. I can actually diagnose that his chain is way, way loose just by the sound - every time he opens the throttle it revs like crazy for a fraction of a second then suddenly drops. The thought that this is likely to snap fairly soon and cause him and the bike some sort of damage is the only thing that's stopped me either ringing the police or stringing piano wire across the road.

He's just learning to do wheelies, bro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

adary
Feb 9, 2014

meh

Discomancer posted:

That's every single time you get into the mountains, it seems like no driver knows what the low gear on their car is for, and anything near I-70 on a weekend, just...ugh.

But they are being helpful by speeding up when the road straightens out so you can make up some time :downs:

Reminds me of the road from Bet Semesh to Jerusalem. Cars will drop from 90km/h to 30km/h for every single bend in the road ....

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Got the Blackstone analysis back on my Ninja 500, and it shows high copper & lead indicative of bearing failure as I kind of expected. The engine shakes & sounds like a drat concrete mixer when it's cold, and not much better when it's warm.

I have it for sale at the moment, but I'm not sure if I should leave it up. I won't be able to sell it for anything if I disclose, and I don't think I would feel good about it if I didn't.

There's a used engine out of a 2007 on CL for $300 (although the motor has 5k more miles on it than mine does...) and I figure I'd lose much more than $300 if I disclosed. But if I put money into it and get it running nice I might as well hang on to it for a bit longer, which would then necessitate a new pair of tires.

Just kind of stuck, I think. Bleh.

If you're seriously thinking of pulling the engine out anyhow, why don't you take a look at the bearings?

You're either putting money/labor into it or basically selling it as a parts bike.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Akion posted:

As a Coloradan, I'd like to give a nice healthy "gently caress You" to the rear end in a top hat drivers that come here from California. Coming down from Mt. Evans to Idaho Springs today, and about half way down I start smelling brakes, bad. Wind up behind a CRV with cali tags who is putting along riding her brakes at the slightest hint of a turn. No problem, I'd rather she not kill herself and back up traffic.

Then the road straightens out and becomes a passing zone, so I drop a gear and go to pass her. The oval office speeds up and paces me to almost 70 before I get by her.

What the loving gently caress?

That hill doesn't gently caress around - I've gained like 3KwH descending that hill alone in my EV. Not a good one to smoke your brakes on, especially if you're just coming down from Mevans.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Radbot posted:

That hill doesn't gently caress around - I've gained like 3KwH descending that hill alone in my EV. Not a good one to smoke your brakes on, especially if you're just coming down from Mevans.

Yeah, also no guard rails and some pretty gnarly drop offs. I was engine braking most of the way down cause I don't think even a Sumo can take a 300ft drop onto jagged rocks, nor can I.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Akion - have you taken the route from Idaho Springs to Central City (aka "Oh My God Road")? Is it doable on a street bike?

I will say riding around in the mountains and constantly encountering roads that just transition to lovely loose gravel for miles without warning has made me want to get a DRZ or something.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Radbot posted:

Akion - have you taken the route from Idaho Springs to Central City (aka "Oh My God Road")? Is it doable on a street bike?

I will say riding around in the mountains and constantly encountering roads that just transition to lovely loose gravel for miles without warning has made me want to get a DRZ or something.

You mean the Central City Parkway? I rode up it yesterday on my DRZ400SM. Didn't have any trouble at all. If you mean a different road, LMK which one and I'll go give it a shot later this week or next weekend.

Yeah, I loved the Harley when I was down in FL visiting my dad. Once I got back to CO, I realized it wasn't that great here. The DRZ is more fun around town, and WAY more fun in the mountains. I have Distanzias on it, so light offroading doesn't really bother me. Gonna get some dirt wheels for the winter so I can ride year round. I'm gonna go do Cottonwood pass in the nearish future I think.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Akion posted:

You mean the Central City Parkway? I rode up it yesterday on my DRZ400SM. Didn't have any trouble at all. If you mean a different road, LMK which one and I'll go give it a shot later this week or next weekend.

Yeah, I loved the Harley when I was down in FL visiting my dad. Once I got back to CO, I realized it wasn't that great here. The DRZ is more fun around town, and WAY more fun in the mountains. I have Distanzias on it, so light offroading doesn't really bother me. Gonna get some dirt wheels for the winter so I can ride year round. I'm gonna go do Cottonwood pass in the nearish future I think.

It's this bad boy: http://www.dangerousroads.org/north-america/usa/728-oh-my-god-road-usa.html

It looks pretty doable, but I'm a bit frightened about coming down a 12% grade on street tires.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Wow, that does sound kind of intense. Might do that in the Tacoma before I do it on the Sumo. Either that, or I'll wait till I have some knobbies.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

slidebite posted:

If you're seriously thinking of pulling the engine out anyhow, why don't you take a look at the bearings?

You're either putting money/labor into it or basically selling it as a parts bike.

Right, either way I'm kind of sunk. I'm just trying to figure out whether I want a couple hundred dollars and no motorcycle, or to spend a couple hundred dollars and have a motorcycle that I'd need to hang on to for another couple of years, even if it's a motorcycle I'm not completely in love with.

DEUCE SLUICE fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Jul 28, 2014

Discomancer
Aug 31, 2001

I'm on a cupcake caper!

Radbot posted:

It's this bad boy: http://www.dangerousroads.org/north-america/usa/728-oh-my-god-road-usa.html

It looks pretty doable, but I'm a bit frightened about coming down a 12% grade on street tires.

It's doable, on par with pretty much any well used forest service road. There's a bit of a pucker factor at times around some of the squirrely higher grade corners, but that could just be me sucking at riding this is what it is.

prukinski
Dec 25, 2011

Sure why not
Most days I ride to uni and park on the sidewalk out front (Melbourne allows bikes to part free wherever). As you'd expect out the front of a school, the bike situation is one cheap shitbox after another. Except for one dude that turns up on a different exotic superbike erry few days. So far this week: Panigale, HP4, SD1290. The weirdest thing, aside from the mental image of his Fabioesque bike shed, is that he's on a provisional license. (ie: severely horspower restricted). Every one of these bikes is clearly illegal for him to ride. For a while I thought dude just worked at a bike shop, or as a mechanic or something. Now I'm picturing bags of cash and this situation four times a week.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCeEN-VVSac

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
God drat motherfucker. I've gotten TWO screws in my tire within the last week. loving $20 a tube and $25 to get it replaced each time.

%*^&!

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
I know they do goo tires for bikes - can you get goo tubes for a motorcycle? When I was riding a pedal bike, one of the guys who does some ridiculous 50-mile a day commute said he got nails/screws/stuff in his tires all the time and ended up getting armored tubes with goo.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Not that I know of. You can put goop in your tyres, but if you're tubeless, like most modern bikes, you will make a huge mess for whoever has to change the tyre. It's pretty do-able with tubed tyres though.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

My garage closed the washing pad citing "environmental regulations". Bullshit, they just wanted to rent it out as a parking spot. :mad:

Parking is at a premium here and a car spot in my garage runs you about $350 a month, which is still on the cheaper end of the scale for inner city garages.

Collateral Damage fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Jul 30, 2014

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Today must have been "fertilize 10,000 acres of farmland near twisty roads with cowshit" day :[

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Bah, cow manure is fine. It just smells like cows and farms. I got no problem with cows.

Ride by a place that fertilizes with pig poo poo sometime. Or an industrial chicken farm :v:

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

Rant:

I was leaving the office to go get lunch -- turned out of parking lot onto street and then immediately have to cross a bridge. Directly after the bridge is a traffic light, and in this case it was 'green' for my direction of travel. The bridge has tall guard rails due to pedestrian sidewalks on each side, and also crosswalk lights to keep pedestrians from crossing when the traffic lights are green.

As my view opened up past the guard rail/fence things, here is a woman walking right out into the road, looking in the opposite direction. Never once did she look in my direction, until she heard me emergency braking (had a very short distance to stop) -- Then she yells at me.

The string of expletives shouted in her general direction would have embarrassed a whole fleet of sailors, and certainly made the other people standing around blush a bit.

What the gently caress, lady???? WHAT THE gently caress. Even my 5 year old niece knows better than to walk out into a road without looking both ways

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good

Radbot posted:

OMG road is pretty doable on a street bike but if you want to connect it into central city there is more lose gravel and larger rocks, not a big deal unless you have low fairings. The Idaho Springs side is very well graded.

E: if you're looking for a fun bit of dirt for a street bike with great views Elkhorn road is a great bypass of 285, it's about 4-5 trucks wide so there's plenty of room to pick any number of lines and there's next to no traffic on it.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/39....df9e11c!1m0!3e0

PlasticSun fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Aug 1, 2014

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Thanks! I'm gonna try that one morning this weekend.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

PlasticSun posted:

OMG road is pretty doable on a street bike but if you want to connect it into central city there is more lose gravel and larger rocks, not a big deal unless you have low fairings. The Idaho Springs side is very well graded.

E: if you're looking for a fun bit of dirt for a street bike with great views Elkhorn road is a great bypass of 285, it's about 4-5 trucks wide so there's plenty of room to pick any number of lines and there's next to no traffic on it.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/39....df9e11c!1m0!3e0

Holy poo poo buddy - been awhile, hope all is well with you!

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Radbot posted:

Thanks! I'm gonna try that one morning this weekend.

What's 119 and Peak to Peak look like lately? I'm doing Estes-Granby-Idaho Spgs-Ned-Lyons on Sunday.
Wave if you see a couple black and red naked Secas.

Discomancer
Aug 31, 2001

I'm on a cupcake caper!

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

What's 119 and Peak to Peak look like lately? I'm doing Estes-Granby-Idaho Spgs-Ned-Lyons on Sunday.
Wave if you see a couple black and red naked Secas.

All in good condition. A few more potholes on peak to peak than last year, but nothing crazy. If you're going into Lyons, 7 takes you straight there and sees less traffic than Boulder Canyon, though they have been routing some of the 36 traffic through there lately.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Peak to Peak was the first road that legitimately scared me as a new motorcyclist. It's so hard to look through the turn when that means looking over a massive cliff to your exit.

Akion
May 7, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I did Lyons->Estes->Nederland->Blackhawk via Peak to Peak a few weeks ago. Some pot-holey sections, but nothing I couldn't manage on a Sportster. 7 between Boulder and Lyons had some sections that are gravel due to road work right now.

Radbot posted:

Peak to Peak was the first road that legitimately scared me as a new motorcyclist. It's so hard to look through the turn when that means looking over a massive cliff to your exit.

This was me coming down Evans.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Excellent, thank you.

I just created a Colorado thread because it seems we could use it.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
I got pulled over for the first time on my bike, was going pretty fast but the cop was real nice and said he was a rider and thankfully marked it down a good deal but told me not to fight it - I will anyway though because I'm not a total idiot.

I was stuck in terrible traffic for 30+ mins and pulled onto the highway and it was completely clear so I gave it the beans for a second. Didn't slow in time to see a crown vic hiding and the second I saw him pull out I just got behind him and pulled over. After everything was done I proceeded to get completely stuck in another 40 mins of traffic but was able to weasel out near the end. I'm really missing being able to just take a nice ride out in the country away from anyone.

My only real option to get past everyone is to split and it's just so nerve racking since everyone rapidly changes lanes here with no signal.

Welcome New York, go gently caress ya self! Under construction foreva, just buildin some more fuckin traffic ova hee.

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good

Z3n posted:

Holy poo poo buddy - been awhile, hope all is well with you!

Doing good man! Hope all is well with you!

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Voltage posted:

told me not to fight it

OMG Jack Bauer?!

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Graaagh. I really want to replace the tremendously lovely fork springs and fork oil on my bike, but it's a really involved process compared to anything else I've done so far. And I'd have to do it in a parking lot without a legit workbench, and blabbity blah :mad:

It's so loving squirrely god dammit

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

M42 posted:

Graaagh. I really want to replace the tremendously lovely fork springs and fork oil on my bike, but it's a really involved process compared to anything else I've done so far. And I'd have to do it in a parking lot without a legit workbench, and blabbity blah :mad:

It's so loving squirrely god dammit

Are there any shared garages in your area? I used to be a member of Club Workshop in Denver - there's space and tools for automotive repair as well as mills, 3D printers, basically resources for everything you can make or maintain. I've heard they're getting more popular - might be worth a Google?

M42
Nov 12, 2012

I've been trying to find something like that for a while, but no luck so far.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
You just gotta make friends with people with garages, but honestly you're better off just upgrading.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

M42 posted:

Got any friends who work for DoD or are in the military? They might be able to get you on a base to use the hobby shop there.

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

M42 posted:

You could give TechShop a call to see if they're big enough to handle a motorcycle. They have a location in Crystal City and I remember reading an article somewhere that talked about somebody working on their bike at one.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

M42 posted:

Likewise, check and see if HacDC could work for you.
http://www.hacdc.org/

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Koruthaiolos posted:

You could give TechShop a call to see if they're big enough to handle a motorcycle. They have a location in Crystal City and I remember reading an article somewhere that talked about somebody working on their bike at one.

Oh hell yeah, that's a great idea. I've been meaning to take one of their welding classes too, heard good things about it.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

If you take a welding class, try to learn TIG. It's hard, but half the stuff you want to do on a bike is aluminum, and running aluminum with a MIG spool gun is miserable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Honestly for forks I'd just take the appropriate fairings off and bring it in to an appropriate shop, probably when other stuff needs service anyway. I realize this isn't a CA attitude, but forks are one of those things that an experienced pro with appropriate tools can do in minutes but will have a first-timer fumblefucking for a long time, and then second-guessing their job.

I'd also second it's probably not worth spending much money upgrading the suspenders on an EX250 if it's at all an option to save up for something better baseline.