Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ufarn
May 30, 2009
Mormon churches are also pretty fun to visit, because their architecture is so loving bonkers.

It's like opulence and the U.S.'s depraved sense of urban planning put in a blender together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stunning Honky
Sep 7, 2004

" . . . "
God I love the one in San Diego

Right by the highway for easy viewing. It's really something to see an alabaster shrine straight out of the end of The Dark Crystal on your way back in from TJ.

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Swan Oat posted:

the two belgian restaurants both tout their amazing mussels. are mussels a belgian thing? if so that is a+ in my book because mussels are dope as hell.
it's literally our national dish. mussels and fries.

SavageBastard
Nov 16, 2007
Professional Lurker
Are you about to make $130 million as the CEO of a company that is struggling because its customer base can't afford anything other than food? Congratulations! You are a titan of capitalism!

Matt Phillips posted:

The French economist Thomas Piketty could not have dreamed up a better illustration of the problematic and growing income inequality in the US than the Family Dollar-Dollar Tree combination.

Let’s start with the backdrop: Essentially, the lower-income Americans that are the target customers of dollar stores have gotten too poor to buy anything other than food (a vivid illustration of Piketty’s point about income inequality). That has depressed margins and profits at these discount retailers...

...Other people that stand to earn a tidy sum on the merger? Well, Family Dollar’s CEO Howard Levine owns roughly 8% of the shares outstanding, so the deal price would land him with paper gains of about $130 million.

As we said earlier, the entire reason the company was pushed to sell by the activist investors was because its numbers under Levine haven’t been great. The fact that a CEO at the helm of a struggling company is able to harvest such a rich payout is quite in keeping with Piketty’s contention that outsized pay packages for corporate executives—even when there is less-than-clear evidence that they’re deserved—are key drivers of US inequality. On top of that, as if to emphasize the points about the growing importance of inheritance that Piketty makes in his book Capital in the Twenty-First Century, Levine is the son of the founder of the firm, Leon Levine. (We put in a request to Family Dollar asking for comment, but haven’t heard back.)

Well, surely the deal will lead to a healthier retailer in the long run, right? That’s far from clear. This deal is being financed by roughly $9.5 billion in borrowings. The debt used to finance the deal could result in a credit rating cut for Family Dollar, which is already flirting with junk status, Bloomberg notes. In other words, Family Dollar could be in worse financial shape after the deal, not better.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

moller posted:

Do you know why California is named California?

Neither does anyone else, really. The most popular explanation is that it was taken from the name of a fictional island of amazon women in a Spanish fantasy novel from the 1500s.

Idaho is a straight up made up word that the lobbyist pushing for statehood invented, claiming it was a Shoshone word for some inspirational bullshit.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

They're kindof disconcerting to be inside of. All the rooms are designed to make one feel a certain way. I got to tour the one in Manhattan before it was consecrated ( or something like that).

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

BrandorKP posted:

They're kindof disconcerting to be inside of. All the rooms are designed to make one feel a certain way. I got to tour the one in Manhattan before it was consecrated ( or something like that).

I went to church with a Mormon friend once and the sanctuary was kinda... off-putting. Couldn't really tell you why, it didn't look much different from any other sanctuary I've been in, it was just uncomfortable to be in somehow.

Unrelated: does US law still allow for claiming sanctuary in a church? I imagine not, but typing sanctuary twice made me curious.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

R. Mute posted:

it's literally our national dish. mussels and fries.

For real? I would eat that every day.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

razorrozar posted:

I went to church with a Mormon friend once and the sanctuary was kinda... off-putting. Couldn't really tell you why, it didn't look much different from any other sanctuary I've been in, it was just uncomfortable to be in somehow.

Unrelated: does US law still allow for claiming sanctuary in a church? I imagine not, but typing sanctuary twice made me curious.

Hah, that would be awesome, but no. That was a really, really old-school thing. I'm relatively sure that it went away the same time trial by combat did, if not earlier.

Edit: Hah, I'd forgotten about this:

quote:

Ashford v Thornton (1818) 106 ER 149 is an English law case in the Court of King's Bench that upheld the right of the defendant, on a private appeal from an acquittal for murder, to trial by battle.

In 1817, Abraham Thornton was charged with the murder of Mary Ashford. Thornton had met Ashford at a dance, and had walked with her from the event. The next morning, Ashford was found drowned in a pit, with little outward signs of violence. Although public opinion was heavily against Thornton, the jury quickly acquitted him, and also found him not guilty of rape.

Mary's brother, William Ashford, launched an appeal, and Thornton was rearrested. Thornton claimed the right to trial by battle, a medieval usage that had never been repealed by Parliament. Ashford argued that the evidence against Thornton was overwhelming, and that he was thus ineligible to wage battle.

The court decided that the evidence against Thornton was not overwhelming, and that trial by battle was a permissible option under law; thus Thornton was granted trial by battle. Ashford declined the offer of battle and Thornton was freed from custody. Appeals such as Ashford's were abolished by statute in 1819, and with them the right to trial by battle. Thornton emigrated to the United States, where he died around 1860.

I suppose you could technically make an argument that in the absence of a specific bill the common-law American states would still preserve this right. Of course that would never work.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Jul 30, 2014

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

razorrozar posted:

Unrelated: does US law still allow for claiming sanctuary in a church?

US law never allowed that. English law did.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

What if you are a Highlander?

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

That's just the places non-Mormons are allowed to be in too. I'm talking the places you (unless you're Mormon) or I can't go into after the temple really opens. I remember one room was made to appear as if it didn't have walls. There was a lot of white and gold and it was disorienting. A lot of the rooms were smaller than one would think in such a large building, lots of faux sky ceilings too (but really fantastically well done ones). The whole thing was you're supposed to do this and feel this here, before going into the next room where you do that and feel that, etc.

Bar Ran Dun fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Jul 30, 2014

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Churches made to evoke states of mind, how sinister and unprecedented :catholic:

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
I think I hit bingo on the hick-pop bingo card posted in here after 3 songs of this godawful Pandora station my coworkers are forcing me to listen to

please send help I feel my will to live fading away

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

SedanChair posted:

Churches made to evoke states of mind, how sinister and unprecedented :catholic:

I was forced to go to this church (watch some of their videos if you want to throw up at the unmitigated hatred and bile their self-professed prophet spews) for a while and their sanctuary was less uninviting than the Mormon sanctuary.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I had Assembly of God relatives growing up, so when we visited I had to go to their church. AoG is just sliiiightly less crazy than Pentecostal and they did the whole "people speaking in tongues in ecstasy while someone else in the congregation is 'moved by the spirit' to translate" and they were always these awful doomsday rapture messages and it used to scare the poo poo out of me :ohdear:

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

The Warszawa posted:

Who here loves themselves a michelada?

Noted (from all of you). Thanks!

Coming in late for this one, but sweet lord do I love me a Michelada. I've been craving one for weeks.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
i hardly ever went to church as a child, would bet money that i've been to more weddings/funerals in churches than worship services. the first and only time i ever attended a catholic service was in my 25th year when i was trying to get in this catholic lady's pants. gently caress you, god

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Popular Thug Drink posted:

i hardly ever went to church as a child, would bet money that i've been to more weddings/funerals in churches than worship services. the first and only time i ever attended a catholic service was in my 25th year when i was trying to get in this catholic lady's pants. gently caress you, god

Her name was God? That's weird.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

SedanChair posted:

But take that and exaggerate it. Then make it a series of smaller rooms that isolate the experience. I know most churches are designed to make me feel a certain way when I go in? Bah whats a good analogy. It's like the difference between St. Peters and the little rooms just for the very rich Italians.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

BrandorKP posted:

But take that and exaggerate it.

mormonism.txt

america.txt

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"
I didn't go on the internet for an evening so I'm pages behind, but if anyone still cares about Bay Area-chat then there's a pretty cool Pinball Museum in Alameda. You pay some money and there's a ton of pinball machines that are all on freeplay. There's some pop art stuff about pinball too, if you're into that sort of thing.

Also if you're a huge nerd there's a computer history museum in Mountain View where you can see a bunch of supercomputers that have less power than your smartphone

Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rw4BCniDqD0

edit: After poking around it turns out it probably wasn't worth posting, Poe's law really worked against me on that one.

Pythagoras a trois fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jul 30, 2014

Cercadelmar
Jan 4, 2014
Once my mom let mormons talk to us when we were kids, but we kicked them out because gently caress waking up at 11 am in the summer

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
I saw "The Book of Mormon" at the Pantages in LA back in February, and it definitely lives up to the hype. Thought you'd all like to know.:)

made of bees
May 21, 2013
Where is it that Mormons go door-to-door like Jehovah's Witnesses? I have never encountered this but according to the Internet it's one of the things they're most known for.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

made of bees posted:

Where is it that Mormons go door-to-door like Jehovah's Witnesses? I have never encountered this but according to the Internet it's one of the things they're most known for.

Literally everywhere in the world. If you've ever seen a couple of skinny white nerds in black ties and white shirts on bikes, that's Mormons.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

made of bees posted:

Suddenly I had the image of one family of non-mormons in a Utah neighborhood being completely surrounded by hundreds of squeaky clean white men in black slacks, white button down shirts and black ties, all yammering over each other asking if they can talk to them about Joseph Smith.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

made of bees posted:

I've been visited three times in the past year, but I usually answer the door with a cigarette (politely; I don't blow smoke in their faces or anything) and it makes them go away pretty quick. I'm quitting, though, so before long I'll have to come up with something else :(

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I just shut the door in their face; proselytizing door-to-door is about the rudest thing imaginable so I don't see any reason to extend a shred of courtesy back.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Mormonism isn't Christianity.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747

cheerfullydrab posted:

Mormonism isn't Christianity.

The Untrue Scotsman is on the line for you.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

made of bees posted:

Yeah, they're all over the place, but some communities get hit more than others. They didn't tend to stop by many people's houses where I grew up, for example (Napa, CA), but I have friends a couple towns over who have to deal with them every few months.

razorrozar posted:

The Untrue Scotsman is on the line for you.

Well, to be fair, there is a 1700-year old "real Christianity" test that they fail (ie: the Nicene Creed). But yeah, at this point in history it's fair to say they're a "mostly Christian" group.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Young men who return from their missions are very eligible, so it's always amusing to think of them as fixated on getting some of that sweet demure pusankeh, if only they can convert me :allears:

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Some people don't understand that Joseph Smith didn't just add new chapters to the Bible like he was making his own Bible fanfiction, he went back and did stuff to the already existing Bible based on his whims. This, to me, is what pushes it from "Christianity with some stuff added" to "Separate pagan religion".

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

razorrozar posted:

I've been visited three times in the past year, but I usually answer the door with a cigarette (politely; I don't blow smoke in their faces or anything) and it makes them go away pretty quick. I'm quitting, though, so before long I'll have to come up with something else :(

Offer them cold water and then politely but firmly decline to take the conversation beyond small, brief plesantries.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

cheerfullydrab posted:

Some people don't understand that Joseph Smith didn't just add new chapters to the Bible like he was making his own Bible fanfiction, he went back and did stuff to the already existing Bible based on his whims. This, to me, is what pushes it from "Christianity with some stuff added" to "Separate pagan religion".

You're right, but the same is true of everything after the Q source.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

cheerfullydrab posted:

That's why I've felt that he's more a Muhammad than a Martin Luther.

I never got any of them to proselytize me. Maybe my face is too Jewy? :(

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Talmonis posted:

Suddenly I had the image of one family of non-mormons in a Utah neighborhood being completely surrounded by hundreds of squeaky clean white men in black slacks, white button down shirts and black ties, all yammering over each other asking if they can talk to them about Joseph Smith.

There's an Assembly of God Church a block from home that apparently has some mid-day meeting where you have to wear slacks, button down shirts and ties and they all walk together to a nearby restaurant for lunch.

First time I saw them returning from lunch I thought some Mormon apocalypse was descending upon the neighborhood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Absurd Alhazred posted:

That's why I've felt that he's more a Muhammad than a Martin Luther.

I never got any of them to proselytize me. Maybe my face is too Jewy? :(

Well, they descend from the lost tribes of Israel, so they're Jews too! Why would they need to convert you?:haw:

• Locked thread