Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vishass
Feb 1, 2004

thathonkey posted:

edit: Can somebody explain wtf happened at the end of the (very much one sided) diner convo between laurie and the gr leader lady? Who is Neil? Why does she start crying? What was in the bag? Why does this loving show keep creating mysteries!?!?!?!! :colbert:

I figured Neil is her son or something but i have no idea.

I assumed she went to the ladies room to poo poo in the bag?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Vishass posted:

I assumed she went to the ladies room to poo poo in the bag?

Occam's Restroom - the simplest explanation is always a bag full of poo poo

Kneecaps
Mar 22, 2003

We're not playing paddy cake here!
Soiled Meat

El Pollo Blanco posted:

I am assuming the cop who was so keen to pass on the information to the federal agency is somehow involved in the GR attacks, because he is aware that the feds aren't actually investigating GR/other cult related deaths, they're just burning the bodies and going in guns blazing to arrest or kill the cult leaders?

How did I not pick up this? I figured it was just the stupid "roar, this is my jurisdiction" that every TV show does.

That cop may not be involved, but it's probably common knowledge that ATFEC just comes in and cleans house when you call them.

Peta
Dec 26, 2011

Kneecaps posted:

That cop may not be involved, but it's probably common knowledge that ATFEC just comes in and cleans house when you call them.

Then why did this concept surprise the police chief

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Peta posted:

Because you may know the reputation of an organization, but it's an entirely different thing when a member offers to you, personally, to "clean out the infestation" (i.e. arrest and kill, for their beliefs, a bunch of people you know).

I mean, if it were just the typical "this is my jurisdication!" nonsense, I doubt that the mayor would have backed him up so strongly and declared that the subordinate had really hosed up. It's good to take care of things within the community when you can, but if the ATFEC were normal law enforcement people, and not total psychos, the chief and the mayor probably would have wanted their help in investigating a brutal murder with very few leads.

Ersatz fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jul 29, 2014

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

This episode was pretty good, but that could have been mainly because I started skipping any scene with the GR that didn't have a "regular" character in it. The phone call from the ATF guy was my favorite part, since it's showing the effects of the Event and the creeping disorder even in the bureaucracy.

Also:

I say "gently caress" too! :)

Matt continues to be the best character. I honestly thought he was going to get a few minutes alone with the body to "pray", then start doing twisted things to it. I like the organized, horric destruction of the now psychopathic ATF better, though!

zealott
Mar 30, 2004
I really liked the opening to this episode, brutal but effective. The use of sound against the silent GR was a really fun way to do some neat scenes.

Saying that everything else felt really contrived and boring. The worst trope was the bumbling technology idiot. They did so much to show him looking at the alarm and telling the daughter to set it and when it came time to disable it he was a complete idiot. I thought it would have been hilarious for the security company to call him to tell him someone was breaking into his house, he is the chief after all.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Peta posted:

His wife is in GR :ssh:

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

zealott posted:

The worst trope was the bumbling technology idiot. They did so much to show him looking at the alarm and telling the daughter to set it and when it came time to disable it he was a complete idiot.
He's not an idiot, and it's not a trope; he's just having such a rough time coping that, at this point, every day tasks that require very little thought or attention are extremely difficult for him.

You could also say that his difficulty in dealing with his home security system indicates the insecurity that he's feeling.

Ersatz fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jul 29, 2014

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Just so you guys aren't horrified when Chief Garvey has sex with his daughter's teenage friend, Emily Meade is in fact 25

Her in her pajamas, plus him looking at the cheerleaders in the hallway gave me a weird vibe this episode.

Does she have her own room in their house?

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Toshimo posted:

They aren't hookers if they aren't getting paid.

Oh please, they're paid in hugs.

NihilistCanada
Sep 11, 2001

If you tremble indignation at every injustice then you are a comrade of mine.
Anyone else notice that the last scene where the guys are stuffing the bodies into the crematorium didn't one of the guys look like Mr. I shoot Dogs wearing a hard hat and a mask?

Kelfeftaf
Sep 9, 2011

Professor Shark posted:

Just so you guys aren't horrified when Chief Garvey has sex with his daughter's teenage friend, Emily Meade is in fact 25

I'm sure that will hold up in TV court.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal

Professor Shark posted:

There is something about her face that is attractive but not at the same time. Also, it appears she just got done taking a grumpy, that is the bathroom behind her.

Kelfeftaf
Sep 9, 2011
She looks fine. What are you talking about?

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
She's hot, but I can't figure out what the hell she's wearing in that scene. A bikini top and shorts that go up to her tits?

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

It's a pajama romper.

maniacripper
May 3, 2009
STANNIS BURNS SHIREEN
HIZDAR IS THE HARPY
JON GETS STABBED TO DEATH
DANY FLIES OFF ON DROGON
It made her look like a SpongeBob SquarePants person.

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

Ersatz posted:

You could also say that his difficulty in dealing with his home security system indicates the insecurity that he's feeling.

But we won't, because that would be terrible.

Barack HUSSEIN
Mar 20, 2003

Screams from the haters, got a nice ring to it

I guess every superhero need his theme music

Peta posted:

I think it's one thing to hear about the evil ATFEC pulling some poo poo in other corners of the country and another thing entirely to have one of their agents directly offer to YOU to come exterminate some people in your own home town. And I think in the police chief's overwhelmed and flustered state of mind, he was a little horrified by his internal reaction where that offer sounded maybe remotely attractive.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
I just realized how dumb it is that the GR use pen and paper to communicate. Presumably they could use sign language, right? Or just text each other, good god.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

the posted:

I just realized how dumb it is that the GR use pen and paper to communicate. Presumably they could use sign language, right? Or just text each other, good god.

Not just that, but do they have to write SO. drat. BIG. on every single sheet? Does everything they write have to be in size 72 font? Can't they just write within 1 or 2 lines? It'd save a lot on paper costs. Also, a small dry-erase board would probably suffice.

GR is just the worst.

Stabitha
Mar 11, 2005

You lookin' at me? Don't.

Gonz posted:

Not just that, but do they have to write SO. drat. BIG. on every single sheet? Does everything they write have to be in size 72 font? Can't they just write within 1 or 2 lines? It'd save a lot on paper costs. Also, a small dry-erase board would probably suffice.

GR is just the worst.

I'm pretty sure the large lettering is for our benefit, even if the idea that they communicate this way is dumb to begin with. If it was written the way you suggest, we would never know what they were saying unless they took too much time doing closeup shots of the paper each time.

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

Kneecaps posted:

How did I not pick up this? I figured it was just the stupid "roar, this is my jurisdiction" that every TV show does.

Peta posted:

I was tired when I watched the ep, but I'm pretty sure the cop (Det. Louis Vitello?) who Garvey had the argument was laughing when the tape around the tree/body snapped, and was possibly involved in the crime scene being contaminated. That might just be misdirection (making Vitello seem like a dick so you'll think he's involved in cult murders), but it's not entirely implausible that a detective who really hates the GR might be aware of the way the feds are handling cults, even if it's not common knowledge/Garvey doesn't know.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Stabitha posted:

I'm pretty sure the large lettering is for our benefit, even if the idea that they communicate this way is dumb to begin with. If it was written the way you suggest, we would never know what they were saying unless they took too much time doing closeup shots of the paper each time.

Yeah, understandable, but still, they could still write half the size and people could still read it. I'm surprised they're not writing 1 giant letter per sheet at this point.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Gonz posted:

Yeah, understandable, but still, they could still write half the size and people could still read it. I'm surprised they're not writing 1 giant letter per sheet at this point.

"I feel the need to quibble about how large fictional characters write notes that they hold up on the screen despite the fact that a large number of people watch this show on tablets, phones, or other small screens. Everyone should bask in the glorious incandescence of my 60" HDTV." - :goonsay:

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Toshimo posted:

"I feel the need to quibble about how large fictional characters write notes that they hold up on the screen despite the fact that a large number of people watch this show on tablets, phones, or other small screens. Everyone should bask in the glorious incandescence of my 60" HDTV." - :goonsay:

75"

:smug:

No, I get what you're saying though. I'm not gonna spend 3 pages ranting on it. It's just mildly annoying; nothing more than that.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

That stoning was loving brutal. It made me cringe and I don't usually give a poo poo about TV violence.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Invalid Validation posted:

That stoning was loving brutal. It made me cringe and I don't usually give a poo poo about TV violence.

Between an infected dude's dick falling off on The Strain this week, and the stoning on this show, yeah, it's been a pretty brutal couple of days for cable TV shows. The noises during the stoning were visceral.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

This show would be so much better without the guilty remenants. Holy gently caress, every scene they are in ruins this show further and further. I hope the suits at HBO know something I don't because the more I see of this show with the GR, the more I wish I was watching The Newsroom instead. Oh why oh why did you push the Newsroom back over this loving garbage.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Professor Shark posted:

Her in her pajamas, plus him looking at the cheerleaders in the hallway gave me a weird vibe this episode.

Chief Garvey's daughter is hotter, but I also just found out she is in fact a teenager.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

Gordong Dongbay posted:

Kevin Garvey is not an angry bully. He is a man who has lost just as much as everyone else but he isn't sure how to feel because he didn't lose them to some mysterious force, at least not directly. His wife has up and left him to join a cult, leaving him alone to take care of a teenager who no longer cares about the future because hey I could up and randomly vanish one day so why even try? His son hardly talks to him and his dad has so much poo poo on his plate that he isn't sure how to go about correcting the wrongs in the relationship. Not to mention he has a constant thought hanging over his head about rather or not he is going to lose his mind like everyone believes his father did. He is filling the shoes of a man who the entire community believes to be a nut case. The entire situation is a powder keg but everyone is so caught up in mourning they don't realize that they are all holding a match to said keg. Garvey doesn't want answers he just wants his family back and the longer he goes on the more he realizes that it's probably not going to work out the way he wants it to.

Judging his wife because her motives aren't clear is like complaining that they haven't explained every single secret in Lost by the fifth episode. At it's core this show is a character drama, at least so far it seems that way. No one has answers including you the viewer. If I were to guess I'd say that there was some sort of abuse between Garvey and his wife which led to her leaving but that's just pure speculation on my part.

Their daughter is exactly what every girl her age is. Expecting a teenage girl to have a good head on her shoulders after watching literally millions of people vanish has to be the dumbest thing you've said. Not to mention she has watched her own mother abandon her and her father completely shut down due to his family pretty much up and leaving him when things got tough.

I'm still not sure what his son is up to but I'd imagine we are going to learn a lot more about his situation as time goes on.

If you can't identify with the family issues on the show then I don't know what to tell you.

This is a good post.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Zotix posted:

This show would be so much better without the guilty remenants. Holy gently caress, every scene they are in ruins this show further and further. I hope the suits at HBO know something I don't because the more I see of this show with the GR, the more I wish I was watching The Newsroom instead. Oh why oh why did you push the Newsroom back over this loving garbage.

I completely agree with you about the GR, but The Newsroom? I'd rather just read a book or turn on the actual news since it has better acting.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Matt's quest to bring the GR "back to life" is a really cool theme that I hope is genuine, and not cover for his group killing them. It's a great juxtaposition of all these people being utterly indifferent or supportive of people that are still actually around being killed while pining for a bunch of people that are gone. I mean people are paying piles of $$ for corpse dolls instead of reaching out to actual real people are still there, just acting weird. Great stuff.

MrBuddyLee
Aug 24, 2004
IN DEBUT, I SPEW!!!

the posted:

How did the 2nd GR woman at the gas station let the whole GR know her friend disappeared? Smoke signals? Psychic friends network? They just kind of showed up en masse.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

MrBuddyLee posted:

How did the 2nd GR woman at the gas station let the whole GR know her friend disappeared? Smoke signals? Psychic friends network? They just kind of showed up en masse.

Text message.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
It doesn't seem to be that large of a town and all the other members were woken up in the middle of the night. She probably just walked there and back.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Lol at whoever suggested another season of the Newsroom should have replaced this show.

Peta
Dec 26, 2011

The Newsroom is better than this show

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

I don't get how people can hate the GR but not be bothered by all of the teenage story lines. the only good thing about the daughter being in the show is that we get scenes with the idiot twins :3:

the GR v. Matt storyline is, in my view, going to shape up to be pretty interesting with lots of potential for more scenes with Eccleston and Brenneman, the two most expressive actors on the show.

• Locked thread