Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BurningStone
Jun 3, 2011
Very bad. The King had to get along with his nobles, and John absolutely couldn't get along with his nobles.

He picked up the nickname "Soft sword," too. I bet nobody called him that to his face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

statim
Sep 5, 2003
Well at least its a step up from "Lackland" Dude wasn't very lucky in the nicknames department.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Randarkman posted:

Also, his reign did see his own judicial reform as well as the whole Magna Carta thing. So wasn't all bad, I guess, he was mostly left in a pretty bad position upon succeeding his brother it seems.

The Magna Carta was basically forced on him, and he fought an unsuccessful war trying to renege on it. When he died, a Frenchman was the recognized king by most of the barons. A bad king, a shameful king.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

P-Mack posted:

The Magna Carta was basically forced on him, and he fought an unsuccessful war trying to renege on it. When he died, a Frenchman was the recognized king by most of the barons. A bad king, a shameful king.

I should have made that more clear. More brought it up as one of the good things that came of his rule. But ultimately he was a pretty bad king, but mostly because of his weak authority, tumultuous relationship with the aristocracy and the bad financial state of the realm I'd say rather than because he was a "bad man".

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Randarkman posted:

I should have made that more clear. More brought it up as one of the good things that came of his rule. But ultimately he was a pretty bad king, but mostly because of his weak authority, tumultuous relationship with the aristocracy and the bad financial state of the realm I'd say rather than because he was a "bad man".

The murder of his nephew was kind of a faux paux no matter how you slice it, though.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
They were both bad kings. One of them just had better PR.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

loving around with my new iPhone, I decided to record some footage (in SLOW MOTION) from today's sparring class. We focused on 16th century texts, a bit later than we're used to, on applying zwerchhau from the bind. It's a different form of the Liechtenauer tradition that we typically follow (or, at least, heavily inspired by Liechtenauer).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPnEN33CIXE

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Thanks for your replies. I'm a little surprised that everyone thinks that John was a bad king, especially since the opinion on whether he was a good or bad king seems to flip flop every 50 years. I'm even more surprised to see everyone think that Richard the Lion Hearted was a bad king as well. He did well to keep the Crusader States around for another 100 years. Sure, he wasn't the best domestic king, but I think that his military victories made up for it.

Rodrigo Diaz
Apr 16, 2007

Knights who are at the wars eat their bread in sorrow;
their ease is weariness and sweat;
they have one good day after many bad

Randarkman posted:

He doesn't seem to have been very good king material and most sources portray him as not much of a sympathetic person. But what really made stuff bad for him was the state of the kingdom as left him by his brother who had wasted all of England's treasury fighting wars in France and going on Crusade, whilst hardly ever setting foot in England.

Also, his reign did see his own judicial reform as well as the whole Magna Carta thing. So wasn't all bad, I guess, he was mostly left in a pretty bad position upon succeeding his brother it seems.

The narrative of Richard as a bad king comes largely from English nationalists, to whom anyone who doesn't help England at the expense of other territories is bad (this has been the line of argument since William Stubbs). These historians make a lot of what a shambles the kingdom was in without recognizing that not only did John himself foment some of the problems for the kingdom (which Richard actually surmounted in his lifetime) but the French territories, especially Aquitaine, still produced a large income for the empire despite the heavy taxation in England.

Elizabeth Hallam in The Capetians makes a very strong case that it was John's incompetence and Philip II's ability that brought the Angevin Empire to such a speedy end, not Richard's crusade and ransom.

Captain Postal
Sep 16, 2007

Smoking Crow posted:

Sure, he wasn't the best domestic king, but I think that his military victories made up for it.

A king's job is domestic. Sometimes it involves a little generalling, and sometimes it involves smacking the French around to protect your borders. But it always involves running your country. He was a good military leader (Richard), but the country wasn't in great shape when he died.

It would be interesting to see how history would remember Richard I if he wasn't immediately succeeded by John.

Captain Postal fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Jul 28, 2014

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Captain Postal posted:

A king's job is domestic. Sometimes it involves a little generalling, and sometimes it involves smacking the French around to protect your borders. But it always involves running your country. He was a good military leader (Richard), but the country wasn't in great shape when he died.

It would be interesting to see how history would remember Richard I if he wasn't immediately succeeded by John.

The chroniclers would have seen him exactly the same because they were writing from a narrative of the united church. Richard the Lion Hearted defeated Saladin and saved the Crusader States; that's the story they would have recorded. For the modern historian, it would probably be the same considering that most hate him—it's only popular history that likes Richard I.

Smoking Crow fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Jul 28, 2014

the JJ
Mar 31, 2011

Smoking Crow posted:

The chroniclers would have seen him exactly the same because they were writing from a narrative of the united church. Richard the Lion Hearted defeated Saladin and saved the Crusader States; that's the story they would have recorded. For the modern historian, it would probably be the same considering that most hate him—it's only popular history that likes Richard I.

Sorry, can you restate this? I'm not following the meaning.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
Things I learned at the reenactment this weekend:

If you halt at shoulder pike and they don't make you order it, ease it forward until it touches the ground, then you can lean on it and fall asleep standing up.

The smell of powder smoke is an excellent hangover cure.

I was also told that a pike is heavier in the rain because it will soak up the water, but I'm still not sure whether or not they were winding me up because I'm new.

Edit: Also, I don't like tassets. The extra (fictional :haw:) protection isn't worth the clumsiness on one or two positions and the difficulty with lunging. Of course, my armor doesn't fit, just like it wouldn't have fitted in the period, it'd have been hacked together by some dude and bought in bulk. Maybe if I wasn't too small for most of the armor we have--and maybe if the armor we have were perfectly made replicas of perfectly made originals instead of some bullshit replicating what would have been bullshit to begin with--I'd feel better about these things.

Edit 2: Which makes me think about what I said earlier about the lack of pomposity in Thirty Years' War reenactment (in my experience). Maybe it's just because it's very difficult to romanticize any of this while you're doing it. The sword can be, if you're a douche, ~~a sacred mystical brotherhood~~ or whatever, but the pike and musket are technicians' things. If you're wondering whether or not you can sleep in five minute increments while you're standing before whoever it is who knows where you're going will tell you it's time to go, you're not jerking your own cock about swords. Which is not to say I'm not proud of my role within this hobby, of course.

Also, it could be because reenacting is a communal activity. Who wants to fight next to the pompous dude during the day, or party with him at night? And what if he's pompous to the tourists who come watch us?

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Jul 28, 2014

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb

HEY GAL posted:

The sword can be, if you're a douche, ~~a sacred mystical brotherhood~~ or whatever,
:laugh:

Oh my. Short and sweet and to the point.

Edit: vvvv I wasn't criticising. I was complimenting you.

Nektu fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Jul 28, 2014

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Nektu posted:

:laugh:

Oh my. Short and sweet and to the point.

Look, I'm exhausted. I've been doing poo poo all weekend and sleeping poorly and translating from German into English and vice versa for the English reenactors who came by (at one point I was translating from French into German and I'm not a native speaker of either, thanks a lot) and some musketeers from Luxembourg, who are short round dark people with an interesting dialect of German and huge top-hat like things, gave me some hippocras and long story short I don't think I have it in me to be polite. I should either be in the archives working or weighing in in the early modern thread with my opinions about the 17th century crisis, but instead I'm just going to wander around aimlessly and possibly have a pizza.

Edit: The point of all this, of course, is that hippocras is delicious.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Jul 28, 2014

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Nektu posted:

Edit: vvvv I wasn't criticising. I was complimenting you.
Yeah, I know, I just wanted to bitch more. Like, the complaining version of a humblebrag. Humblebitching (because what I do is actually really cool).

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

HEY GAL posted:

I'm just going to wander around aimlessly and possibly have a pizza.

Correct choice

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

the JJ posted:

Sorry, can you restate this? I'm not following the meaning.

The chroniclers of the Middle Ages were monks. They judged a good king as someone that did good for the church. Richard did good for the church by saving the Crusader States. Modern historians don't like Richard I because of issues of nationalism. Richard did not care about England even though he was the king. He only cared for the south of France and battle. I believe that he did well in the south of France and in battle.

HEY GAL posted:

Things I learned at the reenactment this weekend:

If you halt at shoulder pike and they don't make you order it, ease it forward until it touches the ground, then you can lean on it and fall asleep standing up.

The smell of powder smoke is an excellent hangover cure.

I was also told that a pike is heavier in the rain because it will soak up the water, but I'm still not sure whether or not they were winding me up because I'm new.

Edit: Also, I don't like tassets. The extra (fictional :haw:) protection isn't worth the clumsiness on one or two positions and the difficulty with lunging. Of course, my armor doesn't fit, just like it wouldn't have fitted in the period, it'd have been hacked together by some dude and bought in bulk. Maybe if I wasn't too small for most of the armor we have--and maybe if the armor we have were perfectly made replicas of perfectly made originals instead of some bullshit replicating what would have been bullshit to begin with--I'd feel better about these things.

Edit 2: Which makes me think about what I said earlier about the lack of pomposity in Thirty Years' War reenactment (in my experience). Maybe it's just because it's very difficult to romanticize any of this while you're doing it. The sword can be, if you're a douche, ~~a sacred mystical brotherhood~~ or whatever, but the pike and musket are technicians' things. If you're wondering whether or not you can sleep in five minute increments while you're standing before whoever it is who knows where you're going will tell you it's time to go, you're not jerking your own cock about swords. Which is not to say I'm not proud of my role within this hobby, of course.

Also, it could be because reenacting is a communal activity. Who wants to fight next to the pompous dude during the day, or party with him at night? And what if he's pompous to the tourists who come watch us?

I have to ask, how do they recreate arrows? I understand using blanks instead of real musket balls, but you can't fake a shower of arrows.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
You can buy rubber blunts, there's special ones for shooting at people. Quick googling shows that there's special arrows for LARPers (25-30# bows recommended). Without protection for the face and neck and the wrong arrows, you'll also have black eyes and broken noses if you go above 30# bows. Some dude on the bow thread here posted a year ago or so that they play tag with 60# bows.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

JaucheCharly posted:

Without protection for the face and neck and the wrong arrows, you'll also have black eyes and broken noses if you go above 30# bows.
Yeah, we try to make this as safe as it can be, but that's still not, you know, safe safe. Someone told me about a Czech chick who caught a pike in the mouth last year--it bashed her teeth in, but she did live. And then there was the guy whose priming flask went off while he was wearing it on his hip...

Lessons for the rest of us, although the drummer who swore that "there's a country where, if you reenact, they will try to kill each other for real" was probably just being twelve.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Jul 28, 2014

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Probably :ussr:

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
Probably; it was a Russian who sent a war axe straight through the helmet of a friend of mine.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

It's not LARP exactly, but when I was in the SCA several years ago arrows were required to have something on the back end as well as the front - apparently the rubber safety heads could be pretty bouncy, and there were having issues where arrows would bounce off a shield wall with some force and the back was thin enough to fit through the standard visors/guards. So in addition to a big padded blunt, arrows have to have this backstop to prevent it.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Ashcans posted:

...I was in the SCA several years ago...
My condolences.

Edit: Also, this isn't LARP.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jul 28, 2014

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Ashcans posted:

It's not LARP exactly, but when I was in the SCA several years ago arrows were required to have something on the back end as well as the front - apparently the rubber safety heads could be pretty bouncy, and there were having issues where arrows would bounce off a shield wall with some force and the back was thin enough to fit through the standard visors/guards. So in addition to a big padded blunt, arrows have to have this backstop to prevent it.

We have a similar issue in HEMA where weapons like staves, spears, and poleaxes are difficult to recreate in a safe sparring sense because a staff will always be a staff and a speartip will always be moving really loving fast. The "solution" at last year's IGX was apparently a floppy dildo-like protrusion that kept bending out of place, and was generally considered a huge waste of effort to use. They also banned the use of the butt of the spear for obvious reasons, but that also eliminates a fair amount of fighting techniques. Generally everyone hated the spear tournament because it was rather pointless. (heh)

I hear daggers have a similar issue, but several safe sparring daggers have come out recently to rectify it. Either way, getting stabbed with a stubby piece of plastic may not cut you, but it will definitely bruise the poo poo out of you since it's so much force concentrated over such a small area.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Most places where you can shoot will have regulations that prohibit standing behind somebody who is pulling arrows out of the target. You can injure yourself with the nocks easily.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

JaucheCharly posted:

Most places where you can shoot will have regulations that prohibit standing behind somebody who is pulling arrows out of the target. You can injure yourself with the nocks easily.
Yeah it's really easy to get hit in the mouth with the butt end of the guy in front of you's pike.

Verisimilidude posted:

We have a similar issue in HEMA where weapons like staves, spears, and poleaxes are difficult to recreate in a safe sparring sense because a staff will always be a staff and a speartip will always be moving really loving fast. The "solution" at last year's IGX was apparently a floppy dildo-like protrusion that kept bending out of place, and was generally considered a huge waste of effort to use. They also banned the use of the butt of the spear for obvious reasons, but that also eliminates a fair amount of fighting techniques. Generally everyone hated the spear tournament because it was rather pointless. (heh)
Edit: I think I remember hearing that rubber pike heads exist, but I don't think I've ever seen one. I mean, it's an eighteen foot long, ten pound (???) spear, it would almost be funny how pointless one of those would be. You just don't put real points on them and aim them downward during a reenactment and that's about it.

Edit 2: Someone handed me a halberd this weekend--so tiny~! So light~! They're adorable.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Jul 29, 2014

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

HEY GAL posted:

Yeah it's really easy to get hit in the mouth with the butt end of the guy in front of you's pike.

Edit: I think I remember hearing that rubber pike heads exist, but I don't think I've ever seen one. I mean, it's an eighteen foot long, ten pound (???) spear, it would almost be funny how pointless one of those would be. You just don't put real points on them and aim them downward during a reenactment and that's about it.

Edit 2: Someone handed me a halberd this weekend--so tiny~! So light~! They're adorable.

I've heard of rubber heads for pole weapons, but I haven't seen them either. It's a shame because I remember way back from before I started in HEMA I saw this video and it got the ball rolling for me with how sweet the techniques are.

Nektu
Jul 4, 2007

FUKKEN FUUUUUUCK
Cybernetic Crumb

Verisimilidude posted:

I've heard of rubber heads for pole weapons, but I haven't seen them either. It's a shame because I remember way back from before I started in HEMA I saw this video and it got the ball rolling for me with how sweet the techniques are.
Couldn't you just use some kind of padded pommel instead of a point (at least for pikes/spears)?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Nektu posted:

Couldn't you just use some kind of padded pommel instead of a point (at least for pikes/spears)?
That would look weird though, and a reenactor is primarily there for people to look at.

Verisimilidude posted:

That is incredibly cool, and I have never yet gotten the chance to do anything like that. Gat dang.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

HEY GAL posted:

That would look weird though, and a reenactor is primarily there for people to look at.

For renactment yeah, i guess for hema maybe but putting things on the end of the pole that aren't spearpoints means it will behave differently in regards to parries and such.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Nektu posted:

I would imagine something like a cylindrical beanbag would be ok (assuming you got the weight right). I'm sure there are plenty of ways to do it, it's a matter of people taking it upon themselves to make these things and apply them.

There's also something to be said about the materials being used. For example, many techniques exist in longsword that work from the "bind", meaning sword on sword contact. When the swords are made of very slippery materials (like nylon rawling swords for example), the swords just slip and slide all over each other, and thus techniques are less effective. Realistically, swords "bite" into one another when edges come in contact. They stick, and historical techniques exist to help you deal with this phenomenon. Roland of Dimicator explains here (he is arguably the premiere historian and most technical arming sword + buckler fencer in the world). In the video he shows sparring with sharp arming swords.

Things like this are why (to an extent) it's difficult to just use a particularly soft material, because certain techniques will ultimately be lost in translation.

Verisimilidude fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Jul 30, 2014

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
Our pikes are made of ash like they would have been, because nothing wiggles like ash, which is how you get the loving thing to do what you want.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Verisimilidude posted:

Roland of Dimicator explains here (he is arguably the premiere historian and most technical arming sword + buckler fencer in the world). In the video he shows sparring with sharp arming swords.

I think you meant to post this video from Roland: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T21uXihIZcI

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

DandyLion posted:

I think you meant to post this video from Roland: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T21uXihIZcI

Yes, thanks!

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
In the last hundred years the relationship between West and Eastern Europe has been strained. The World Wars, the Cold War and now the situation in Ukraine is not helping.

How were international relationships between Russian (not necessarily the Tsardom, but duchy of Moscow or Novgorod republic included) and other Eastern European (say, Poland) and the more Western powers like the HRE, France, England and the Iberian nations? Did, say, Portugal and Poland interact meaningfully at all for example?

karl fungus
May 6, 2011

Baeume sind auch Freunde
According to Wikipedia, it wasn't until 1525 that Russian ambassadors to Spain finally brought back news about the discovery of the Americas to Russia. There was also pretty much no real interaction between western Europe and Russia until later on in that century. Remember that it wasn't until Peter the Great that Russia really started to make serious attempts at modernizing and becoming a European power.

Poland used to be a pretty large and significant power in central Europe and regularly had to deal with Teutonic Knights invading them. I don't think they gave a special poo poo about Portugal though.

deadking
Apr 13, 2006

Hello? Charlemagne?!

Namarrgon posted:

In the last hundred years the relationship between West and Eastern Europe has been strained. The World Wars, the Cold War and now the situation in Ukraine is not helping.

How were international relationships between Russian (not necessarily the Tsardom, but duchy of Moscow or Novgorod republic included) and other Eastern European (say, Poland) and the more Western powers like the HRE, France, England and the Iberian nations? Did, say, Portugal and Poland interact meaningfully at all for example?

I mentioned it a few posts ago, but Raffensperger's Reimagining Europe: Kievan Rus' in the Medieval World argues that the Rus' had extensive ties to Western European polities. The main vehicle for these connections was royal marriages (Rus' princesses were married to members of the ruling families of France and the Empire, among others). Raffensperger argues that these women maintained ties to their families and facilitated political alliances through their presence in their husbands' courts. The Rus' also had extensive trading ties with Poland and the Empire, especially through Baltic Sea trade.

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

deadking posted:

I mentioned it a few posts ago, but Raffensperger's Reimagining Europe: Kievan Rus' in the Medieval World argues that the Rus' had extensive ties to Western European polities. The main vehicle for these connections was royal marriages (Rus' princesses were married to members of the ruling families of France and the Empire, among others). Raffensperger argues that these women maintained ties to their families and facilitated political alliances through their presence in their husbands' courts. The Rus' also had extensive trading ties with Poland and the Empire, especially through Baltic Sea trade.

I remember reading that Yaroslav the Wise was pretty tight with the Swedish king at the time, to name one other example.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
What do y'all do about ankle pain? Should I ask the martial arts thread?

• Locked thread