Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
stone soup
Jul 8, 2004

Fucknag posted:

I'm currently in a discussion on FB with a former coworker. He's convinced that the Mustang is gonna go to FWD eventually, because "fuel economy" and "investors" and "the market is changing".

Also a used GT-R is a better deal than any American sports car.

Wasn't the Probe supposedly the fwd replacement for the Mustang? I've never seen anything to back that up, though

Edit; It seems as though Mazda was developing a 626 coupe and it might have been a Mustang rival and so Ford wanted in on a chassis sharing brand swap thing seeing as they were partners or something and thus was born the Probe. There ya go

stone soup fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Jul 30, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
^^^ The Probe/626 coupe as far as I am aware is what came out of the FWD project

Fucknag posted:

I'm currently in a discussion on FB with a former coworker. He's convinced that the Mustang is gonna go to FWD eventually, because "fuel economy" and "investors" and "the market is changing".

FWD Mustang nearly did happen as far as I recall, was even in running prototype stage (before morphing to the Probe) - The 80's were a weiiiiiiiiiird time. But I seriously doubt it'll happen now.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Cat Terrist posted:

^^^ The Probe/626 coupe as far as I am aware is what came out of the FWD project

626 coupe, heh. It's called the MX6 here. I wanted one for a DD for awhile but no one took care of them and it's impossible to find nice ones these days :(

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Cat Terrist posted:

FWD Mustang nearly did happen as far as I recall, was even in running prototype stage (before morphing to the Probe) - The 80's were a weiiiiiiiiiird time. But I seriously doubt it'll happen now.

This was my stance. There's absolutely no benefit to it. You've already got 2 FWD sport compacts in the lineup along with the SHO, and if you wanted something mid-size (which the Mustang is, let's face it) it would be peanuts to drop, say, the 2.3 EB into the Fusion. There is nothing to gain by making what is essentially Ford's halo car FWD, and plenty to lose from the enthusiast market, which I'd wager makes up a disproportionate percentage of Mustang buyers compared to other models.

And yeah, I knew about and mentioned the Probe; he turned it around and said "see theyve done it before, its only a matter of time before they try it again". I dipped out soon after that.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
So apparently I am unable to rent a flaring tool that isn't complete loving garbage. First one couldnt center the hole, second one's yoke is all mangled so it won't smash down the second stage of the flare. I want to go back to the parts store and bounce this piece of poo poo off that douchebag's face. This poo poo should have been done last week.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I dropped a nut in a really hard to reach place. :(

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Fucknag posted:

"Unfriend."

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Do you guys have any tricks for projecting depreciation/calculating cost of ownership (aside from maintenance)? My wife has a little bit of automotive ADD and keeps looking at different vehicles; I'd like to give her a number for "The car will be worth this much after X miles or Y years". You can KBB etc for mileage but not for age, and it's still just KBB.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

blk posted:

Do you guys have any tricks for projecting depreciation/calculating cost of ownership (aside from maintenance)? My wife has a little bit of automotive ADD and keeps looking at different vehicles; I'd like to give her a number for "The car will be worth this much after X miles or Y years". You can KBB etc for mileage but not for age, and it's still just KBB.

http://www.intellichoice.com/10-1/new-cars.html

This takes into account the differing costs of maintenance, insurance, and depreciation and such, and breaks it all down for you.

e: it doesn't bring up cost of ownership for 2015s yet. pick a 2014 and you get fancy charts and junk.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Jul 30, 2014

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Fucknag posted:

This was my stance. There's absolutely no benefit to it. You've already got 2 FWD sport compacts in the lineup along with the SHO, and if you wanted something mid-size (which the Mustang is, let's face it) it would be peanuts to drop, say, the 2.3 EB into the Fusion. There is nothing to gain by making what is essentially Ford's halo car FWD, and plenty to lose from the enthusiast market, which I'd wager makes up a disproportionate percentage of Mustang buyers compared to other models.

And yeah, I knew about and mentioned the Probe; he turned it around and said "see theyve done it before, its only a matter of time before they try it again". I dipped out soon after that.

Pretty much - the current RWD Mustang is an absolute league beyond any FWD for performance. Big FWD for performance and a halo car is just loving insane, the Mustang plate would end right then and there.

In the 80's however, it made some kind of vague sense - the 80's Stang's were loving bad and slow, it was a smaller car so going to a FWD platform wouldn't have been so much of a difference, FWD turbos were actually quicker than the sad poo poo V8's were. You wanted performance? You wouldn't look at a Mustang, a FWD model really would have been a big improvement and frankly the Probe was a good car when it arrived.

80's != 2014 thankfully.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Cat Terrist posted:

Pretty much - the current RWD Mustang is an absolute league beyond any FWD for performance. Big FWD for performance and a halo car is just loving insane, the Mustang plate would end right then and there.

In the 80's however, it made some kind of vague sense - the 80's Stang's were loving bad and slow, it was a smaller car so going to a FWD platform wouldn't have been so much of a difference, FWD turbos were actually quicker than the sad poo poo V8's were. You wanted performance? You wouldn't look at a Mustang, a FWD model really would have been a big improvement and frankly the Probe was a good car when it arrived.

80's != 2014 thankfully.

Yeah 80s were a dark time for performance in general, and especially in America, where the Grand National was the massive exception to the rule.

Blows my mind that it took so long for turbos to catch on in American marques. You had the GN, Mustang SVO, Omni GLH-S, Typhoon/Syclone trucks, and then... basically nothing of note until the SRT-4 came along a decade later. It's not like the tech wasn't there, the 80s and 90s are when turbos really came into their own in street applications.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

CharlesM posted:

I dropped a nut in a really hard to reach place. :(

I hate it when this happens.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Even worse when it's a socket.

I've got a flexible light/magnet that can get into most places, but i've still had vehicles completely swallow sockets.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Powershift posted:

http://www.intellichoice.com/10-1/new-cars.html

This takes into account the differing costs of maintenance, insurance, and depreciation and such, and breaks it all down for you.

e: it doesn't bring up cost of ownership for 2015s yet. pick a 2014 and you get fancy charts and junk.

Thanks, but we're looking at recently used - 2 or 3 year old TDI Sportwagens and TSX Sportwagons. Today. Again.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

blk posted:

Thanks, but we're looking at recently used - 2 or 3 year old TDI Sportwagens and TSX Sportwagons. Today. Again.

There's a section there for used cars as well. If you're buying 2 years old, jump strait into year 3 on the chart.

https://www.intellichoice.com/1-12-2011-44743-0/2011-volkswagen-jetta-se-4dr-wagon.html

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

So apparently I am unable to rent a flaring tool that isn't complete loving garbage. First one couldnt center the hole, second one's yoke is all mangled so it won't smash down the second stage of the flare. I want to go back to the parts store and bounce this piece of poo poo off that douchebag's face. This poo poo should have been done last week.

Buy one from harbor freight? It's probably the same one they rent out but at least you'll be the one loving it up.

Last I looked the double flare tool was $30.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Followup results on my electrolysis bath. The drum spent about 20hrs submerged:

Untreated drum on the left, treated on the right:

After a few minutes with a wire wheel - remaining corrosion flaked off like paper:

Drained the barrel and put in some mesh. Other drum is in there now :getin:

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Powershift posted:

I've got a flexible light/magnet that can get into most places, but i've still had vehicles completely swallow sockets.

It's always the 10mm socket...

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Goober Peas posted:

Which is why I bought a dozen 10mms last month.

If you're havin' import problems I feel bad for you son
Cause I got 99 sockets but a 10mm ain't one.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Since getting into American cars, I've grown from my original opinion that it's always a 10mm socket. Sometimes I lose the 7/16 socket now.

Also: God drat, those drums look good. Corroseal worked gangbusters on the drum I tried it on, but now I'm kinda wondering if I should buy a spare Rubbermaid bin. What's the mesh for?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Anode

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

Goober Peas posted:

Speaking of cars swallowing sockets and 10mm always disappearing, my Celica ate a deepwell 1/4 10mm 2 years ago while working under the dash, and it still hasn't turned up.

Rhyno posted:

Which is why I bought a dozen 10mms last month.

If you're havin' import problems I feel bad for you son
Cause I got 99 sockets but a 10mm ain't one.

:golfclap:

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Also: God drat, those drums look good. Corroseal worked gangbusters on the drum I tried it on, but now I'm kinda wondering if I should buy a spare Rubbermaid bin. What's the mesh for?

Yeah, the mesh increases the anode surface area - instead of (in my case) five distinct points of contact (the rebar), there's an even distribution completely around the suspended part/cathode. This should increase and evenly distribute the rust-removing electricity area multiply the damned magic whatthefuckisallthisIamnotgoodwithelectricalstuffatall.

edit: Here, have some aspergers http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/andyspatch/rust.htm

The Royal Nonesuch fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Jul 30, 2014

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Terrible Robot posted:

Speaking of cars swallowing sockets and 10mm always disappearing, my Celica ate a deepwell 1/4 10mm 2 years ago while working under the dash, and it still hasn't turned up.

:golfclap:

I'm in the process of getting that printed on shirts.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Powershift posted:

I don't have a telescoping magnet handy where I am but there is a CarQuest on the next block so I'll go there in the morning. Also it is a 10mm nut. I mean it takes a 10mm socket.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
I've never lost a socket in a car, but that's because I will tear half the car out to get to it if that's what it takes. I've had a dropped socket double or triple the time a job ended up taking because of this. :smith:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

HotCanadianChick posted:

I've never lost a socket in a car, but that's because I will tear half the car out to get to it if that's what it takes. I've had a dropped socket double or triple the time a job ended up taking because of this. :smith:

I somehow dropped a 10mm socket into the intake of a car at the JY last week. I couldn't reach it so I grabbed the tire iron from the trunk and beat the plastic into bits to retrieve my $2 socket.

Edit: also gently caress car shopping. I am losing my patience trying to find viable options. My mother has offered the money but my girlfriend feels like it's taking advantage of her if we go beyond a certain dollar amount. She wants to cap our spending at $12K as after the "gift" and the Civic that leaves us with only $2K she's actually spending (and we intend to pay back.)

Can't find anything with my criteria for $12K. May as well just buy a lovely old used Cobalt.

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Jul 30, 2014

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I dropped an important bolt in my e46. There's now the magnet from my magnet-on-a-stick stuck somewhere around the steering column u-joint but I managed to fish the bolt out from underneath. The car wasn't going to be happy until I let it eat something.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Rhyno posted:

Edit: also gently caress car shopping. I am losing my patience trying to find viable options. My mother has offered the money but my girlfriend feels like it's taking advantage of her if we go beyond a certain dollar amount. She wants to cap our spending at $12K as after the "gift" and the Civic that leaves us with only $2K she's actually spending (and we intend to pay back.)

Can't find anything with my criteria for $12K. May as well just buy a lovely old used Cobalt.

Ask her what the view is like down there, because she's obviously enjoying looking down that gift horse's mouth.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

HotCanadianChick posted:

Ask her what the view is like down there, because she's obviously enjoying looking down that gift horse's mouth.

Don't get me wrong, she appreciates the money and wants a new car. But she feels lime there's a limit to what we should take. I mean, she's not wrong. I don't want my mother to feel like we took advantage either.

I have found four Fiesta's in the area that meet the criteria, 3 of which fall under the $12k. The fourth one is the one she drive and is $12500. We're gonna check the others out Thursday morning and I'm gonna run some carfaxes.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
I once found a very nice 1/4" extension in the cowling area of my old Passat after it had been to the mechanic.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Made it half an hour into the work day before energy peaked. It's going to be a long day

Caffeine do your drat job :argh:

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
Speaking of work and caffeine, tomorrow is gonna be a big caffeine day for me. Why? We start work on a new clients' parts...

GM.

:cry:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Power steering motors or ignition switches? :v:

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

some texas redneck posted:

Power steering motors or ignition switches? :v:

swing axle suspension parts, actually

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

Ages ago someone was asking for AI related books.
Just remembered a novel my dad read to me as a kid

quote:

American narrator Neil Mannix is a troubleshooter for multinational British Electric, and is sent to former British colony in Africa, Nyala to oversee the installation of a huge 550-ton power transformer. The newly independent Nyala is rich with oil, and hopes to prop up its shaky democracy and economy with a showcase new power station located at a remote location near its oil fields. Due to the increasing precarious political situation, the Nyalan government insists that British Electric dispatch the transformer via huge flatbed truck to reassure the populace, and suspecting difficulties, Mannix is sent to supervise the travels of "the rig". However, a civil war breaks out, and Mannix is bullied by a local doctor and an Irish nun into using the rig as a traveling hospital. He must deal with opposing armies, unsafe roads and bridges, some untrustworthy crew members and the local Nyalans who start to trek after the huge machine, which has taken on symbolic role for the populace.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

I shouldn't have sweat through my god drat JEANS by 9AM. No A/C and high humidity makes for a long sweaty chaffing day for Mr. SAC here.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

All you guys that are dropping and losing sockets/bolts are doing it wrong if you don't have a telescoping magnet.

bandman
Mar 17, 2008

leica posted:

All you guys that are dropping and losing sockets/bolts are doing it wrong if you don't have a telescoping magnet.

I bought one for myself and one for my dad a few years ago. He has Parkinson's disease and still loves to work on stuff in the garage, so I try to find him tools and gadgets that make things easier for him around the garage. He really likes the Snap-on screwdrivers with good magnets in the tips, magnetic pan for holding nuts and bolts, and the telescoping thing to retrieve dropped hardware.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

leica posted:

Doesn't do squat when you have no idea where the bastard ended up

• Locked thread