Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hoboskins
Aug 31, 2006

there is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist
I am curious to see how its overall effect is going to recost and balance weapons and units. Although I see the whole "it's not your list it's you" line thrown around a lot on the forums some models are simply overpriced or undercosted etc for what they bring to the table. Even though I play Ariadna I feel they have a lot of models that are leaning towards being too cheap especially when you factor in ITS.

If climbing is a long skill how will that effect Climbing+?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
I imagine Climbing+ will stay the same: you just treat everything like a ladder and can move normally around on vertical surfaces. It's also possible that you can't shoot while on a vertical surface unless you have Climbing+. We don't have the full rules yet afaik.

Hoboskins
Aug 31, 2006

there is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist
FINALLY new dog warrior models! And they look awesome

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Laphroaig
Feb 6, 2004

Drinking Smoke
Dinosaur Gum

Hoboskins posted:

I am curious to see how its overall effect is going to recost and balance weapons and units. Although I see the whole "it's not your list it's you" line thrown around a lot on the forums some models are simply overpriced or undercosted etc for what they bring to the table. Even though I play Ariadna I feel they have a lot of models that are leaning towards being too cheap especially when you factor in ITS.

If climbing is a long skill how will that effect Climbing+?

Man people who say "Its not your list, its you" are just pushing your poo poo in. Its a stupid phrase because knowing how to build a list to tackle your opponents is "you". If you bring a bad list vs. an opponent who is prepared for what you have, and their choices all give them the edge over what you can bring, its obvious who has the edge - the dude with the better list, that has the superior choices. Infinity favors a "toolbox" approach, but at the end of the day, the tools have costs - A 10 point basic order vs. a 4 point order, I'd take the 4 point and who cares that the 4 point can't move and can't shoot, I can have 4 orders for 16 points vs. the same costing me 40.

But for what its worth, knowing how to play the game is worth more than 200 points worth of models on the table. If you gently caress up you'll get punished for it in the ARO. But against two players of equal skill, your list is part of that skill.

Basically yeah I don't know if they will draw up new lists, or just introduce new models with new rules, but as all of the rules are available, for free, on their website including current army rosters and stat profiles, it makes updating way simple.

Laphroaig fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Jul 29, 2014

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Couldn't agree more, Laphroaig. I started a minir shitwar in the Infinity forum a couple of years ago because I described what was going on when my club first adopted Infinity (as in lists loaded with myrmidons and chasseurs rolling over newbies packing no counters) and urged people to reconsider that approach, and apparently tons of others felt the same way because the thing grew into a very long and contentious thread.

It's been that way, but not as bad, regarding 150 points as the holy limit for teaching people (and even holding normal games), which often segues into "Why yes, I can fit my O-Yoroi and a 5-man keisotsu link in 150, why do you ask?", while others stress that having lists that cover more bases may be more important than the point limit.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Someday I want to play Uhlan + Fusilier link at 150. Because I am a bad, bad person.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Laphroaig posted:

Man people who say "Its not your list, its you" are just pushing your poo poo in. Its a stupid phrase because knowing how to build a list to tackle your opponents is "you". If you bring a bad list vs. an opponent who is prepared for what you have, and their choices all give them the edge over what you can bring, its obvious who has the edge - the dude with the better list, that has the superior choices.
Except the dude who's got the worse list will still win if he's significantly better at battlefield tactic. That's what it means - in Infinity there are no invulnerable units that are given free reign if you don't take certain heavy weapons, and it's way easier to make up for a bad list than in say 40k.

The Dark Project
Jun 25, 2007

Give it to me straight...
Anyone know how Ariadna can beat people who bring lists high in ODS/ODF or spam smoke grenades? I have pretty much no ability to see through any of it, and thus can't target or shoot said troops. Even spotting them out with targeting is out because again the -6 to hit pretty much makes it near impossible to get a hit in.

I know flame weapons knock them off, but seeing as the only way this can come about is via suicidal troops with flamethrowers, it kind of makes it difficult to achieve.

Any hints/suggestions? I'd like to be able to move dudes up into CC, but as they get negatives to throwing a smoke grenade if they are in one or can't see where they're throwing them, it's not so easy. And again, these don't even help if the opposition player has MSV3.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
A dual-chain wolfman will absolutely wreck a Myrm link, ODD or not. And yeah, flamer attacks are suicidal but often worth it, and LFT Chasseurs are filthy cheap. As for MSV3, Asuras don't have any form of camo/mimetism themselves, so an HMG Paracommando can do well there.

Also: if you're using Highlanders for your smoke, stagger them so the next one throws the smoke from behind the template, not from within, while still having LOF to the target point. Kinda hard to tell without pictures.

Laphroaig
Feb 6, 2004

Drinking Smoke
Dinosaur Gum

Pierzak posted:

A dual-chain wolfman will absolutely wreck a Myrm link, ODD or not. And yeah, flamer attacks are suicidal but often worth it, and LFT Chasseurs are filthy cheap. As for MSV3, Asuras don't have any form of camo/mimetism themselves, so an HMG Paracommando can do well there.

Also: if you're using Highlanders for your smoke, stagger them so the next one throws the smoke from behind the template, not from within, while still having LOF to the target point. Kinda hard to tell without pictures.

Won't that still trigger a normal roll ARO after the throw, albeit at a -6 penalty for the visibility? I thought you had to be completely outside of line of sight, not simply obscured by a zero visibility zone, to avoid the enemy firing back at you after you make an attack through or inside of a zero visibility zone?

Also for what its worth, you can drop Suppressivion Fire through a zero-vis zone as a long order, and you just take a -6. If there is ODD+Smoke, the -12 is gonna hurt though.

Lastly, I dislike the whole idea of there being "smoke" and then "super smoke". Its confusing that different sets of rules apply, I'd rather it was like smoke lvl 1/2/3 and you needed corresponding MSV to counter it.

Laphroaig fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Jul 29, 2014

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Laphroaig posted:

Won't that still trigger a normal roll ARO after the throw, albeit at a -6 penalty for the visibility? I thought you had to be completely outside of line of sight, not simply obscured by a zero visibility zone, to avoid the enemy firing back at you after you make an attack through or inside of a zero visibility zone?
But you'd have to attack them. If you're behind a smoke field and you throw another smoke grenade at an empty point, they don't get to fire at you.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Ugh, I want to play this more, but I'm still beginner level on the rules and it seems silly to learn this version with the new one coming.

Any ETA on 3rd?

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Deviant posted:

Ugh, I want to play this more, but I'm still beginner level on the rules and it seems silly to learn this version with the new one coming.

Any ETA on 3rd?

I'd say go ahead and learn to play. There aren't going to be any dramatic changes to the rules (that we know of right now), other than to cammo attacks and loss of lieutenant. It's mostly going to be tightening and streamlining the existing rules. Getting the basics down now should only make getting into 3rd edition easier.

There isn't an official date for 3rd yet (will probably be announced at Gen Con), but it should be out before the end of the year.

Laphroaig
Feb 6, 2004

Drinking Smoke
Dinosaur Gum

Pierzak posted:

But you'd have to attack them. If you're behind a smoke field and you throw another smoke grenade at an empty point, they don't get to fire at you.

How does "Shooting Smoke Special Ammunition is always considered an attack but being a type of non-offensive ammunition, it is not necessary to target a model and it can be launched at a point without any enemy miniature needing to be specified." work then? Doesn't the act of throwing a smoke grenade, as it is "always considered an attack", through smoke, generate the response at -6 as per normal zero visibility zones?

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
I would think the intent is that smoke 'counts as an attack' in terms of modifiers for distance etc - they just mean you roll as for a shot, it isn't an actual attack. Pierzak's interpretation is correct.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

Deviant posted:

Any ETA on 3rd?

I would just play - again, 3rd edition is more about revisions and tweaks than huge changes. This isn't Warhammer or Warmachine; CB has stated that the overall mechanics aren't changing, just some of the poorly translated and/or imprecise rules.

Comrade Merf
Jun 2, 2011
Beasts of War just put up a video going over the changes to Camo in 3rd edition.

http://www.beastsofwar.com/infinity/infinity-3rd-ed-sneak-peek-camouflage-rules/

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
I hope they take this opportunity to give a little flavor to some of the less optimal choices. E.g. Moblots, Orcs, Mobile Brigada

I just realized all the examples I listed on my head were heavy infantry. Maybe their point cost doesn't reflect points per order well enough. Most of the powerhouse heavy infantry have visors or some other special rule, so maybe that is all they need.

Laphroaig
Feb 6, 2004

Drinking Smoke
Dinosaur Gum

Genghis Cohen posted:

I would think the intent is that smoke 'counts as an attack' in terms of modifiers for distance etc - they just mean you roll as for a shot, it isn't an actual attack. Pierzak's interpretation is correct.

I think, given this FAQ:

-When a camouflaged or impersonated troop throws a smoke grenade , Do troops with possible ARO perform their shots with a -6 modifier through smoke?
Since shooting smoke grenade is resolved before anything-is a case of Combat Camouflage - those troops whose LOF is interrupted by the smoke are not entitled to ARO if needs LOF.

That we have a case of LOF being denied to miniatures and thus losing the chance to attack - since the attack is not "at them". The corner case is Sixth Sense L2, which allows you to respond to attacks - like a smoke grenade being thrown - even if you don't have LOF. That looks to be the only exception though.

Germ
May 7, 2013

Comrade Merf posted:

Beasts of War just put up a video going over the changes to Camo in 3rd edition.

http://www.beastsofwar.com/infinity/infinity-3rd-ed-sneak-peek-camouflage-rules/

Huh. To summarize: "Surprising" someone (by coming out of camo) gives a -3 modifier to the target's ARO, on top of any other modifiers. But they all still happen simultaneously, so no more camo model attacks and the ARO happens if the target survives. An Intruder with camo (-3) standing behind cover (-3) surprises a target (-3). The target declares their ARO, which if they're shooting back will be at -9 before range modifiers.

I like it. It'll make it so that the camo model doesn't have to be certain of killing their target, will make direct templates really good against camo, and camo will be worse at close range. Folks will also be more likely to dodge as an AR rather than always shooting back. Plus a straight modifier makes everything so much more simple. I wonder if this means that impersonation will just get a straight -3 modifier for surprise? Man, I hope so (though that would make them much weaker than camo).

The other big piece was that no dice roll can be modified by more than -12 or +12. That'll give BS 13 and above troops the ability to always be able to try for a hail Mary shot.

Clawtopsy
Dec 17, 2009

What a fascinatingly unusual cock. Now, allow me to show you my collection...
Hmmm, unless 'Dodge' recieves the surprise penalty as well, this looks like a significant nerf to Camo.

And a significant buff to Chain Rifles, Total Reaction and Neurocinetics.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

I'd have to imagine dodge would as well.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Folks have said that it applies to any F2F roll.

It's certainly a huge buff to template weapons though. Because, y'know, those totally needed a buff.

Germ
May 7, 2013

Fix posted:

I'd have to imagine dodge would as well.

My take on it is that dodge does take the -3 penalty. Still, a -3 to dodge is possibly less risky than a -6 (-9 for TO; more for cover and range) to shoot back.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

:aaaaa:

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

I thought they were meant to be stealthy. :v:

Glad to see you guys are enjoying some of the spoilered stuff though. :D

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

This --> :aaaaa:

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Flipswitch posted:

I thought they were meant to be stealthy. :v:

Well yeah, the original Morat residents were killed in their sleep. :D

Also, have one for Yu Jing:

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Jul 31, 2014

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

Ok, I definitely didn't think that's how they were going to make shotguns better this edition.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
A quick&lovely comparison with the old ranges:

Laphroaig
Feb 6, 2004

Drinking Smoke
Dinosaur Gum
Intriguing, I wonder if we are gonna see some new "dodge me to closer so I can get my +6 shotgun" shenanigans.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Laphroaig posted:

Intriguing, I wonder if we are gonna see some new "dodge me to closer so I can get my +6 shotgun" shenanigans.

That's some John Woo bullshit and I approve.

Baron Snow
Feb 8, 2007

So it seems that Operation: Shitstorm has come to a close, and CB will be keeping the offical forums open.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Baron Snow posted:

So it seems that Operation: Shitstorm has come to a close, and CB will be keeping the offical forums open.

Was there ever a backstory to shutting the forums down?

S.W.O.R.D. Agent
Apr 30, 2012

Pierzak posted:

A quick&lovely comparison with the old ranges:

I'm sort of bummed that there's no +3 on the shotguns from 8-16. I thought that would have been a better change than +6 at 0-8.

Baron Snow posted:

Hizzah!...or something like that.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
I am absolutely loving the weapons changes. While the shotgun is eye-grabbing and I'm glad it gets a boost, I think the extended -3 range for rifles (rather than -6 from 24") and the close range nerf to spitfires and hmgs, and to a lesser extent snipers, is the important bit. I think it does a lot to address the overwhelming importance of HMGs and other weapons over rifles. Under the old rules this was a very noticeable thing if you weren't playing on super close tables. Now we will see a greater mix of weapons being viable. Perhaps the days of almost always activating the hmg first are over!

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

I am sad that sniper rifles are pretty much always going to be worse than the HMG, but that's alright. Assuming the Boarding shotgun translates to the light and heavy versions, as a Haqq player I might well be ecstatic.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum
It's often worse in the active turn, and often the same or better on ARO. Granted, 32"+ sightlines aren't always available, but it can happen, and parking on top of a building makes it more likely. Also, we don't know if CB will recost them upon the release of N3. Weren't there already some profile/cost changes in the new box?

Edit: I hope you're right about shotguns, I also play Haqq. :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Give me a multi-sniper over a HMG in the reactive turn any day. Totally different roles there.

Also loving the kick in the jimmies to HMG close range accuracy. It's often tough to force an engagement within 8", but within 16"? Definitely doable. Within 16" a plain rifle outperforms an HMG now.

• Locked thread