Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty

Wuntvor posted:

drat it, I really want to try this.. Hard to justify spending at least 100€ for a wheel though. How bad exactly are the really cheap ones (~40€)? I don't think I'd have much fun with my xbox controller, and I'm afraid I'll drop the 250 bucks for a G27 otherwise which would definitely not be worth it since I don't have that much time for it anyway.

I'd say give it a go with a 360 controller. Been playing with one for two weeks and I'm rarely involved in incidents in oval racing (don't remind me about road) and it is loads of fun. I'm going to keep playing with my 360 controller for like another month and if I'm still regularly playing iRacing, I'm getting a wheel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.

Torabi posted:

I'd say give it a go with a 360 controller. Been playing with one for two weeks and I'm rarely involved in incidents in oval racing (don't remind me about road) and it is loads of fun. I'm going to keep playing with my 360 controller for like another month and if I'm still regularly playing iRacing, I'm getting a wheel.

But if you get a wheel you can join quality races like this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-h9QLstSzpA

:v:

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Driving force GT is adequate, I had no issues.
For Charolotte Legends I usually race 1-2x then call it quits.. all of the other races at the short tracks are amazing.. USA intl is really fun too. QUALIFY in legends, I managed to always get a good SR from legends when I qualified.. Look in the forums for setups they will usually put you towards the front with clean racers. The stock setups are very tight and turn the cars into snowplows. just make sure to ease onto the gas out of the corner.. they are torquey and will snap around and then you lose sr.

If you want to C-class it in Streets start from the pits at charlotte and try to keep pace, slow down for all wrecks, you'll be R3.0 in no time.

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jul 29, 2014

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I'm at a weird point in that I really hate gamepads because I'm terrible with them. Thus I don't do great in iracing, don't feel like I'm having much fun, and then put off a wheel purchase because Im iffy about it.

Largepotato
Jan 18, 2007

Spurd.
Get ETS2 so you have another great game to use the wheel on. :v:

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Largepotato posted:

Get ETS2 so you have another great game to use the wheel on. :v:

Who says wheels are limited to racing/driving games?

Not this guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fl35QCbMi-c

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

cage
you can't do great in iRacing with a gamepad, really any modern racing game.
Gamepads have a limited movement.. even if you use the analog stick you're getting maybe 90* of rotation each way in a VERY tight space,
a driving force GT can get you 900* of rotation (althoguh I"d say set to around 250-300) in a much larger space.. you can make better small adjustments with the wheel instead of darting around.

Gas/Brake are also an issue.. It's a lot harder to go 1/3 throttle on an analog stick with a game pad or 1/3 brake. If you like racing Pick up a DFGT you won't be sorry, it's not a huge investment and if you pick one up used, you can sell it for around if not exactly the same price you bought it for.

I didn't have the time for iRacing and let my sub lapse because with 3 small kids it was hard to find a time that I could sit down for an hour and race, but I'm doing leaps and bounds better in Nascar 2003 than I ever did with a ps2 controller.

Force feedback in the wheel also helps, you can feel the tires sliding or the back end getting loose before it actually does with an increased chance of keeping the car on the road / straight.

If you dont' have $60-80 then you dont have it.. but if you do it's good investment into your hobby.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

For people who haven't run Indycar Fixed yet, the draft at Michigan is insane. You need to shift into 6th gear when running in the draft, and there is no way you're pulling away from a car behind you unless they're busy trying to fend off another driver. Get within one second and you'll be riding on their rear wing within half a lap. You'll get past 230mph in the draft on the front straight heading into 1. Drivers in the Open series have been reporting draft speeds in excess of 245mph! I don't know if this is correct, or if the car needs to be tweaked.

Also, a nice screencap from my race last night, I spent the last 17 laps chasing this guy rear end to tail trying to find a way past (I'm on the left). This shot was taken on the last lap, on the back straight, just before we tapped wheels. I lost by 2 hundredths of a second:

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan

Bentai posted:

For people who haven't run Indycar Fixed yet, the draft at Michigan is insane. You need to shift into 6th gear when running in the draft, and there is no way you're pulling away from a car behind you unless they're busy trying to fend off another driver. Get within one second and you'll be riding on their rear wing within half a lap. You'll get past 230mph in the draft on the front straight heading into 1. Drivers in the Open series have been reporting draft speeds in excess of 245mph! I don't know if this is correct, or if the car needs to be tweaked.

I remember hearing a report that they tested a DW12 at Michigan and they had some concerns ala CART at Texas with the speeds being so high. So I'm gonna guess that the simulation is accurate :colbert:

That's a heartbreaker losing by such a close margin, fortunately I'm sure participation is really high with the DW12, so just race again tonight!
I'll probably be racing the 22:15 GMT [06:15 pm] Fixed race and the 01:00 GMT [09:00 pm] Open race tonight. That way I can focus on Mid-Ohio. This weekend is my annual golf outing, so I won't be able to race in any of the Road Warrior sessions this weekend :smith:

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I've had frustrating indy car races where I was racing with someone who was quite fast but he couldn't figure out the draft.. he was racing some guy side by side forever, I'd catch up try and hook up with him then he'd duck back behind the other car, go 2 wide so I couldn't use the draft to pass on the corner, lose speed then duck behind the other guy.. if one of them would have stuck out 2 wide for a bit we both could have benefitted and actually gotten back to the lead pack.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Yeah it works really well but both drivers need to be on the same page. OhSh and I spent last night trying to practice that kind of two-car drafting. Freaking awesome if it's done right.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Bentai posted:

You'll get past 230mph in the draft on the front straight heading into 1. Drivers in the Open series have been reporting draft speeds in excess of 245mph! I don't know if this is correct, or if the car needs to be tweaked.

I suspect that iRacing is perhaps allowing a greater range of wing settings than Indycar doe. Unless Michigan is much faster than Fontana, I don't think a DW12 in race trim has done a lap average over 220 there yet. I'm pretty sure a 245MPH trap speed would have a higher average lap than that.

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

IOwnCalculus posted:

I suspect that iRacing is perhaps allowing a greater range of wing settings than Indycar doe. Unless Michigan is much faster than Fontana, I don't think a DW12 in race trim has done a lap average over 220 there yet. I'm pretty sure a 245MPH trap speed would have a higher average lap than that.

I can't remember what the front wing range is, but the rear wing range for the Speedway Trim is from 0.0deg to -10.5deg

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

I think what also might be allowing those speeds is a bug in the car, which allows for using a 2/3rd radiator inlet during the race. According to the garage tool-tip, that should only be allowed for qualifying. There's also a rumor going around that there's a bug that allows for infinite push to pass on road courses during the race.

voodoo dog
Jun 6, 2001

Gun Saliva

tater_salad posted:

If you dont' have $60-80 then you dont have it.. but if you do it's good investment into your hobby.
The thing is, I really hate playing racing games with a gamepad.. Always feels like it's a challenge even going straight down the track. On the other hand, I love driving in general and can imagine it being really fun, but I've never had the chance to see if it's actually as awesome as I imagine it to be with a wheel. I just imagined even the cheapest wheels should be way better than no wheel at all, and so far I haven't seen any used wheels in a price range that seemed affordable to me.

I guess I'll just keep looking. I'll be on vacation for two weeks anyway, so subscribing right now doesn't make any sense either way. Thanks for the replies everyone, I'm pretty sure I'll try this out eventually!

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Wuntvor posted:

The thing is, I really hate playing racing games with a gamepad.. Always feels like it's a challenge even going straight down the track. On the other hand, I love driving in general and can imagine it being really fun, but I've never had the chance to see if it's actually as awesome as I imagine it to be with a wheel. I just imagined even the cheapest wheels should be way better than no wheel at all, and so far I haven't seen any used wheels in a price range that seemed affordable to me.

I guess I'll just keep looking. I'll be on vacation for two weeks anyway, so subscribing right now doesn't make any sense either way. Thanks for the replies everyone, I'm pretty sure I'll try this out eventually!

L_Harrison who is by far the best goon driver made it to the Gran Turismo Finals using a gamepad and uses a Microsoft Sidewinder Wheel which doesn't even have force feedback for the NASCAR Pro Series on iRacing. If all you can afford is a $50 wheel don't let that stop you from getting one. It will still be better than playing on a gamepad.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

There are a number of players out there that don't use FFB wheels, like the ECCI Trackstar. I can see how it could be an advantage, because then you're no longer fighting the track.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Wuntvor posted:

Look on ebay or your local craigslist: Just be careful some of the e-bay listsings aren't actual DFGTs
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Logitech-Dr...=item4d2138fe41

There was one super cheap on ebay that was missing the power cord.. I think I saw them on amazon for like $5..
Amazon sellers want upwards of 120 for a Driving force GT which is 3/4 of the way to a new one..

If you feel like you'd like racing games, then a wheel will make it a bit more enjoyable.. but wont' make it fun if you don't really like the genere.

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
I had a LPI average north of 80 in NR2k3 and competitive in GPL with a Sidewinder 2, expensive wheels are for the feel good factor and won't make you faster.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I won races on a gamepad. :smug:

Although, doing so in anything more powerful than a Truck was tough.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
A lot of pro drivers in the oval series don't use force feedback. You don't really need it. If you are doing a road series on the other hand, you really need force feed back.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

I've considered turning FFB down to see if it makes me more consistent on the ovals.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Ugh gently caress the incident rating system. I got disqualified from a legends race because people kept bumping me and giving me 4x's. I think everyone forgot week 13 ended.

Funnily enough I had a street stock race without a single wreck.

Grayly Squirrel
Apr 10, 2008

Just got my D road. Picked up a Skippy and the first few tracks for this season.

Is the google doc still being used to race with goons or should I just pop in IRC?

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

Personperson14 posted:

Ugh gently caress the incident rating system. I got disqualified from a legends race because people kept bumping me and giving me 4x's. I think everyone forgot week 13 ended.

Funnily enough I had a street stock race without a single wreck.

Did my first SS race of the season and got rammed up the rear end on the straight at Charlotte by some dickface who apparently refused to lift off or hit the brake or, I don't know, steer. We both got 2x for the contact but because he totally broke my grip I go careening into the wall and get a 4x. I feel luck to have only lost 0.03 SR.

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.
Trucks at Pocono are a blast. I haven't run a race yet, but I found this guy's video showing why this week rocks (starting at 33:32)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9dqdbvg-Do&t=2012s

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

Grayly Squirrel posted:

Is the google doc still being used to race with goons or should I just pop in IRC?

Wait there's a Google Doc? Your best bet is either IRC and/or add as many goons as possible to your friends list on the site and chat with them directly.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

I don't remember what racing game it was. But I remember seeing one where if you started to turn, your first person view would slowly turn towards the corner. So you could look into the corner as you drive without having to move your camera manually. I wish iRacing had that as an option. Maybe I can do it myself somehow with a macro program.

ManicJason posted:

Trucks at Pocono are a blast. I haven't run a race yet, but I found this guy's video showing why this week rocks (starting at 33:32)

Holy Batman. I just got nervous from watching that. How did they get so close without loving up. If you get within 3m of somebody in rookies a count down starts for the next big crash. Also why is there a pace car so late into the race?

Boar It fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jul 30, 2014

Dynamite Dog
Dec 12, 2012

I think there is a look-to-apex camera setting but it's in one of he the config files. I know for sure you can set the camera to respond to the slip angle of the tires which will at least give you some of that feeling.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I think there is an option for that. It's in the settings.ini and not in the menu. You'll have to search through it might be look to corner or something. Maybe I'm just thinking of a different game. Though using that setting would be weird for me because my steering wheel would still be in front of me but the view is changing.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Actually, there appears to be a mod for it. http://members.iracing.com/jforum/posts/list/22806.page

And I guess it would be weird with a wheel. But I have a 360 controller for now anyway.

Edit:

Found the setting inside the app.ini file:
DriverRotateHead=1.000000 ; Percent to rotate drivers head with slip angle. 0 to 1 with 1 being 100%

Gonna try it out see what it is like. But the mod seems to give you more control.

Boar It fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Jul 30, 2014

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Torabi posted:

Also why is there a pace car so late into the race?

Because iRacing assumes that once you get far enough out of rookies, a crash should warrant a yellow flag.

Rookie races would never go green if that was the case.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

The mod works. But it gives some weird jittering up and down motion as well which ruins it. Guess you have to tweak it or something.

IOwnCalculus posted:

Because iRacing assumes that once you get far enough out of rookies, a crash should warrant a yellow flag.

Rookie races would never go green if that was the case.

Ah, makes sense. Would've been hilarious in rookies since it is a struggle already for people to do a rolling start, so having to do multiple ones would be even worse.

Doom Sleigher
Dec 29, 2004

There were about 60 m'er f'ers in the first two World Sportscar races. They were pretty low sof though, so I'm not too mad I missed them.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

http://members.iracing.com/jforum/posts/list/3244571.page
http://ir-apps.kutu.ru/stream-overlay/#/

This could be neat for anyone that does online streaming.

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

Torabi posted:

I don't remember what racing game it was. But I remember seeing one where if you started to turn, your first person view would slowly turn towards the corner. So you could look into the corner as you drive without having to move your camera manually.

rFactor has a 'Look Ahead' setting for this and it is pretty cool.

Lord Crapulus
Feb 12, 2003

About as successful at Le Mans as Toyota
I just did my first race in the Lotus 79, and it is :krad:

ManicJason
Oct 27, 2003

He doesn't really stop the puck, but he scares the hell out of the other team.
I thought about putting this Lotus 79 video in the OP. I've always kind of wanted to race it, but it seems like it's barely a downforce car, and I'm horrible at downforce cars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5Wdc-fMPxk

Some day I'll give it a shot.

Lord Crapulus
Feb 12, 2003

About as successful at Le Mans as Toyota
I think I like it because I don't have to map 800 buttons for in-car adjustments, and since I was looking to move up from the Star Mazda, it was pretty much going to be the 79 or the DW12. I haven't signed up for the CTC yet though, so my car looks so out of place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

Lord Crapulus posted:

I think I like it because I don't have to map 800 buttons for in-car adjustments, and since I was looking to move up from the Star Mazda, it was pretty much going to be the 79 or the DW12. I haven't signed up for the CTC yet though, so my car looks so out of place.

I just watched a random youtube vid of a guy racing the Lotus '79 at VIR. It looks incredibly demanding and a lot of fun. At one point this guy says "This car is trying to kill me and I think I like it!" and even just by watching the video I could see what he means.

However, as someone as green as I am my nuts kind of shrivel up in terror watching it. I hope to race it some day.

• Locked thread