Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx

Uznare posted:

I'm not sure what translation you read because that poo poo is barely enough to get some of the plot across. Accurate is not a word that should ever be used to describe it.
It's accurate as in the translation was done to "literal definition" not "appropriate for situation". I've noticed this as I started doing some cursory checks with some online translators and compared them to several of my physical dictionaries. Here's an example, Giorno's pre-rear end kicking lines that I re translated.

I will never forget..
Literally translated, it's "To prevent the destruction of", but Giorno's clearly referring to his buddies.

Buccealiti is dead...Abbachio...and Narancia...
Just got rid of the "and" in front of Abbachio since multiple ands don't flow as well as multiple も (in addition)

However, their actions and memories will never fade...
While actions translates over well, translating essentially "wills and convictions" to simply wills sound strange. Memories fading is more understandable than wills destroyed.

They were the ones who put this arrow in my hand!
手 meaning hand, and 渡 meaning hand. Sounds more personal than just "gave" it to me.

But are you guided by some truth? Or is it simply petty evil that moves you?
While 現実 can mean reality, truth makes much more sense in this context.

We will now know.
Or "That(それ from this point on (これから) know (わかる)".

Will you still remain, even if you cease to exist...Boss.
This one's a bit tricky. Giorno's asking the boss if he will still exist if he's destroyed, but considering he was using it before in terms of "fading or being forgotten", using 滅びす as destruction doesn't fit. Giorno also ended the line with のかな, basically meaning "Wonder if" or a hypothetical question, but as a boast.

amuayse fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Jul 29, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
There are a lot of times where they outright gently caress up.

There's one as early as the first (or second?) chapter, where koichi is told he speaks good itallian.

In the actual line, he almost says that rohan used heavens door to put "can speak itallian" into his brain, and so he freaks out a little when he catches himself

in the current english scans he just says that rohan helped him, implying they just did a lot of study sessions or something, and makes him freaking out make no sense.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I read that page just yesterday and twigged immediately that Rohan used his stand to write that down on him. It's not necessarily something that needs explicitly stating because it's obvious that that's how it happened.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
So did you also get that a Buddhist valley was actually Gauguin?

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
Narancia also never says "volare via" in the poo poo scans.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

Aurain posted:

I read that page just yesterday and twigged immediately that Rohan used his stand to write that down on him. It's not necessarily something that needs explicitly stating because it's obvious that that's how it happened.

How is it obvious when rohan has never done anything like that in all of part 4? (okay I guess "I'm going to fly in this direction" proves he can do impossible poo poo instead of just mind control, but still)

Did you also understand what ciccolata was sperging out about, even though the translation has him complaining about something completely different?

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Yup, Polpo's dialogue.

To be able to do things like look at Michelangelo's mural in the Sistine Chapel
Even mentions the Sistine Chapel (システィーナ礼拝堂), so I don't know how you could mess that one up.
But I do have a Guyua and a Gaugin
It even spells out their names phonetically. Guyua (ゴッオ) and Gaugin(ゴ-ギャン). I guess maybe that mixed up Gaugin with Guanyin, the Buddhist Goddess of Mercy but how the gently caress that can happen is beyond me.

darealkooky posted:

Did you also understand what ciccolata was sperging out about, even though the translation has him complaining about something completely different?
The part when Mr. Freeze was on the phone and talking about cities?

amuayse fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Jul 29, 2014

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

amuayse posted:

Yup, Polpo's dialogue.

To be able to do things like look at Michelangelo's mural in the Sistine Chapel
Even mentions the Sistine Chapel (システィーナ礼拝堂), so I don't know how you could mess that one up.
But I do have a Guyua and a Gaugin
It even spells out their names phonetically. Guyua (ゴッオ) and Gaugin(ゴ-ギャン). I guess maybe that mixed up Gaugin with Guanyin, the Buddhist Goddess of Mercy but how the gently caress that can happen is beyond me.

The part when Mr. Freeze was on the phone and talking about cities?

It's not ゴッオ ("Guyua"), it's ゴッホ, "Van Gogh"
(and "ゴーギャン", Gauguin)

YggdrasilTM fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Jul 29, 2014

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

darealkooky posted:

How is it obvious when rohan has never done anything like that in all of part 4? (okay I guess "I'm going to fly in this direction" proves he can do impossible poo poo instead of just mind control, but still)

The only reason I can say it's obvious is because I understood it as that easily and I'm absolutely stupid as hell. Not much of an explanation, but yeah.

I haven't gotten to Ciccolata, but I don't care about spoilers which is why I'm ok with reading this thread.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
"Drawn by a certain painter" is even worse than the Buddhist Valley painting crap.

pepperoni and keys
Sep 7, 2011

I think about food literally all day every day. It's a thing.
Speaking of the translations, here are some comparison pictures I have. The left one is the current/bad translation, the right one is the new and more supposedly more correct translation. I don't have the Japanese scans (as I can't even read them), so I don't really know if it's true or not.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Yup, the newer ones are better.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
The dialogue in Purple Haze Feedback makes me appreciate both Bruno and Giorno a lot more.

And Fugo, of course. The novel really goes to great depths to show just how a User's stand is tied to their psyche.

Purple Haze Feedback posted:

"Earth to Fugo?" Sheila E said, from right behind him.

Fugo jumped. "Um, hi," he said, awkwardly.

"Please tell me you aren't getting cold feet just because you and Volpe used to hang out."

"No, nothing like that."

"He is the root of all evil. He can't be allowed to live."

"Yeah, yeah, drugs are bad."

There's also this scene. :allears:

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

The dialogue in Purple Haze Feedback makes me appreciate both Bruno and Giorno a lot more.

And Fugo, of course. The novel really goes to great depths to show just how a User's stand is tied to their psyche.

There's also this scene. :allears:

Purple Haze Feedback made me appreciate most of the Part 5 characters more, but I don't really like how it portrays Giorno. He comes across as a bit of a Mary Sue.

quote:

"When people look at Giorno, they see something so unfathomable they see themselves reflected in him. They're swallowed up in his potential, and wind up seeing only themselves."

OK, the character who says this is a Giorno fangirl who isn't necessarily totally correct, but the novel still ends with Giorno revealing that he completely understands everyone's subconscious motivations and totally planned everything.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jul 29, 2014

Baron La Croix
Nov 2, 2010

rastah farah
sonnah maddah fah
Re-reading Steel Ball Run, I'm sad we never got to see more of Pocoloco's Bizzare Adventure.

"[Being Cool]... Do you know what is [Cooler] than it? The answer is... [ICE COLD]!"

Plus of course his stand cry.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine

Silver2195 posted:

Purple Haze Feedback made me appreciate most of the Part 5 characters more, but I don't really like how it portrays Giorno. He comes across as a bit of a Mary Sue.

OK, the character who says this is a Giorno fangirl who isn't necessarily totally correct, but the novel still ends with Giorno revealing that he completely understands everyone's subconscious motivations and totally planned everything.

To be honest Giorno comes off Dio as gently caress in the novel , which is why I didn't really mind how convenient his poo poo was.

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012
Found and finished reading Purple Haze Feedback after reading your post. It is indeed enjoyable and the part where Fugo made himself fall to compensate for the falling sensation reads like something you'll see on the manga.

However, I am not sure about Fugo's new stand's ability. So he has to explode the capsules himself because the virus would consume themselves? Also, what does it mean by "The stronger Fugo's attack, the less damage to his opponent"? That sounds more like a downgrade except for better control really.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

I haven't read Feedback yet, but isn't Giorno's whole thing that he's like a younger, good version of Dio? Being super charismatic and conniving sounds like it fits pretty well.

Tobaccrow
Jan 21, 2008

Don't smoke, kids... Unless you have to.
Getting to see a bit of Pretty Princess Boss Giorno is one thing I felt the manga lacked that Feedback covered. The one panel of Giorno as the boss is a little underwhelming. He could've at least changed his clothes.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

I haven't read Feedback yet, but isn't Giorno's whole thing that he's like a younger, good version of Dio? Being super charismatic and conniving sounds like it fits pretty well.

He behaves in essentially the exact same way as part 3 dio in feedback, only instead of sending stand users out to murder joestars he sends them out to murder the drug trade.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SwyWa-Hg6Y

Previews for the first ost of Stardust Crusaders, anyone knows where track 20 plays?

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Is DIO's theme a re-arrangement of the one from phantom blood?

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Kurtofan posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SwyWa-Hg6Y

Previews for the first ost of Stardust Crusaders, anyone knows where track 20 plays?

I never noticed before but the track starting at 1:00 is basically Wipeout by the Beach Boys.

Broniki
Sep 2, 2009

Feminist Frequency is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign. Donate today!

The problem is that Giorno doesn't really act charismatic at all and we only find out he's supposed to be charismatic because the other characters tell us he is.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

He manages to talk a guy who was about to kill him to instead let him join his gang and help him take over the entire operation by killing the boss in the span of about 10 minutes.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Broniki posted:

The problem is that Giorno doesn't really act charismatic at all and we only find out he's supposed to be charismatic because the other characters tell us he is.

So... kinda like DIO for most of part 3.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Hmm. Hitler?

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I'm not sure about you, but I found Giorno's appearance at the end to be incredibly charismatic.

I also liked all the little nods to the other parts of JJBA. Additionally, Murolo was surprisingly badass for a guy whose only fight involved him standing in place watching his opponent stab himself to death of his own volition.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Jul 30, 2014

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

So my sister recently started a Tumblr and has been drawing Jojo-related things. She just finished this:

http://nia-draws.tumblr.com/

She plans to do Johnny next.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
The doughiest Giorno.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Mr. Maltose posted:

The doughiest Giorno.

Digiorno Giovanna.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

quakster posted:

Hmm. Hitler?
"CHARISMA!"

Broniki
Sep 2, 2009

Feminist Frequency is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign. Donate today!

So... kinda like DIO for most of part 3.

Actually, yeah. DIO's tiny bit of characterization with Pucci in Stone Ocean was really great and it's a shame something like that wasn't present in previous parts.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here

Please, Giorno's hair was black up until just before before part 5 :colbert:

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Kabanaw posted:

Please, Giorno's hair was black up until just before before part 5 :colbert:

It wouldn't make sense if he was born with blond hair anyway since it was Jonathan's body and all the Joestar's have dark hair.

Or I don't know maybe having a blond vampire head grafted onto a body changes things up. There's not really a scientific precedence.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Maybe Girono is the son of both DIO and Jonathan, since they used the same body.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here

Butt Ghost posted:

Maybe Girono is the son of both DIO and Jonathan, since they used the same body.

My Two Dads

And Also My Mom

And I Guess This Guardian Angel / Godfather Dude ???

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Giorno is actually Jotaro and Kakyoin's son, hatched from an egg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Potsticker posted:

Giorno is actually Jotaro and Kakyoin's son, hatched from an egg.
No that's Jolyne, learn the lore.

• Locked thread