Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:

SunAndSpring posted:

I used to have a picture MK drew of what the Morag Tong's seal was supposed to represent. I can only describe it as utterly horrifying.

For reference:

It's some sort of hosed-up Mephala avatar, isn't it?

One of my favorite Lore Things is that the Night Mother is just another aspect of Mephala, that she specifically created because she knew that Morag Tong dissidents were getting fed up with her. Sure, you can stop worshipping Mephala, because you're just going to go worship Mephala again anyway!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

the whole Sithis worship and Sithis actually granting DB people superpowers and blessings and communicating with them bothers me more than it should at this point

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Heavy Lobster posted:

It's some sort of hosed-up Mephala avatar, isn't it?

One of my favorite Lore Things is that the Night Mother is just another aspect of Mephala, that she specifically created because she knew that Morag Tong dissidents were getting fed up with her. Sure, you can stop worshipping Mephala, because you're just going to go worship Mephala again anyway!

It's a six handed, headless, and heavily pregnant Mephala that is holding a dagger in each of its hands and is having intercourse with itself. Cronenberg poo poo, really.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:

SunAndSpring posted:

It's a six handed, headless, and heavily pregnant Mephala that is holding a dagger in each of its hands and is having intercourse with itself. Cronenberg poo poo, really.

:kirkbride:

WEEDLORD CHEETO posted:

the whole Sithis worship and Sithis actually granting DB people superpowers and blessings and communicating with them bothers me more than it should at this point

I'd say it's something somewhat reasonable to be irritated over. The whole deal with Sithis is that it's the embodiment of void, and as soon as the void starts properly responding, let alone actually giving things out, it ceases to be a void to begin with.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

sithis/padomay is a really confusing one because it/he/whatever is basically one of the two very top level deities in TES and he isn't an inherently evil concept, he's just, like, half of a yin and yang type thing, but he isn't really recognised by anyone except a bunch of super fringey hosed up murder dudes. and his counterpart/opposite basically doesn't exist in any of the religions at all. Weird but true

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

i think wacky video game religions r neat but then again i find religion neat in general but yeah worshipping a void of nothing is kinda dumb and pointless imo no matter who u r. why is bethesda the only company doing openworld rpgs like this anyway

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Upmarket Mango posted:

i think wacky video game religions r neat but then again i find religion neat in general but yeah worshipping a void of nothing is kinda dumb and pointless imo no matter who u r. why is bethesda the only company doing openworld rpgs like this anyway

gothic 1/2 and risen are p good openworld games. iirc two worlds 1/2 tried to do open world like morrowind but hosed it uuuuuuuuuuuup

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

sinking belle posted:

sithis/padomay is a really confusing one because it/he/whatever is basically one of the two very top level deities in TES and he isn't an inherently evil concept, he's just, like, half of a yin and yang type thing, but he isn't really recognised by anyone except a bunch of super fringey hosed up murder dudes. and his counterpart/opposite basically doesn't exist in any of the religions at all. Weird but true

Apparently the Hist recognize Sithis and its importance in creating the world, and that's about it. Everyone else is just like "Eh who gives a gently caress it literally isn't anything".

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Mortimer posted:

gothic 1/2 and risen are p good openworld games. iirc two worlds 1/2 tried to do open world like morrowind but hosed it uuuuuuuuuuuup

how is risen 2? the pirate theme looks more interesting

Dec 26, 2012

i bitched about it at length in the risen thread but short answer is not very good

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Upmarket Mango posted:

I liked it

01011001 posted:

i bitched about it at length in the risen thread but short answer is not very good

I liked it

As long as you go with guns it's fun. Melee combat is real poo poo but I like risen games so I struggled through the first part until I could buy a musket.

short answer: try it and get hyped for risen 3 in two weeks

Dec 26, 2012

i have a soft spot for the game but i cant really recommend it on the fact of how bad the melee is. guns are overpowered like mortimer so if oyu must play risen 2 do it with guns and make sure to side with the inquisition so you get better guns

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
The best part about Skyrim is when you kill the emperor and literally nothing changes

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

The best part about Skyrim is when you kill the emperor and literally nothing changes

The best about Bethesda games is how this applies to everything in them.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

i never played risen before so i guess if i wanna get the best initial impression i should go with the better first game then huh

Dec 26, 2012

probably yeah. ive been replaying it in preparation for risen 3 and it still holds up well even if its pretty jank in some respects

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

I wish morrowind had the firebombs + physics engine from the myth series.
So much fun lobbing firebombs onto people.

cthulhoo
Jun 18, 2012

Upmarket Mango posted:

I liked it but tbh it's really bad for many reasons.

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
what's some good morrowind mods that just add like weapons/armors to stockpile like a weird magpie or some fun poo poo to do

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

sword_man.gif posted:

what's some good morrowind mods that just add like weapons/armors to stockpile like a weird magpie or some fun poo poo to do

I think one mod adds like a bunch of knight armor and a vendor for all of it. Dunno if any of it is good or not, though, seeing as the modder is an rear end in a top hat who didn't upload any pics.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

Mortimer posted:

gothic 1/2

I would literally gouge out my eyes rather than play gothic again.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

SunAndSpring posted:

I think one mod adds like a bunch of knight armor and a vendor for all of it. Dunno if any of it is good or not, though, seeing as the modder is an rear end in a top hat who didn't upload any pics.

ultimate knight shop is super spergy, unless you want to shop at moonmoth legion fort forever skip it

sword_man.gif posted:

what you're looking for is HELLUVA weapons and HELLUVA armor, it's like 1500 weapons and armor of varying quality added to chests and merchants and its loving crazy. Most are the same cool mesh with 9 different colors but your odds of seeing the same thing with different colors are like 0. One of the cool things included in it is the armor completion, so like the dreugh set now has full armor, and the dragonscale now has full armor, etc etc. Any extraneous piece of armor now has a full set. Dragonbone? GOOD LUCK but it's out there.

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

Like people tell me they can't play morrowind because its so dated, I don't really understand. Gothic though? That poo poo is unplayable to me.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Man Whore posted:

Like people tell me they can't play morrowind because its so dated, I don't really understand. Gothic though? That poo poo is unplayable to me.

didn't you say you were 12 when oblivion came out

that might be why

there are kids who say oblivion looks like poo poo and is so dated

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Mortimer posted:

that might be why

oblivion does look like poo poo tho

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Mortimer posted:

that might be why

gently caress I was 12 when Oblivion came out and I dunno why others have a hard time adjusting to old poo poo. Just read the manual. It's there for a reason. Fallout had a giant rear end manual with pancake recipes, it was great. Skyrim's manual is like 5 pages long in comparison.

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

I like old 3d graphics because your brain just fills in the details instead of having to parse a potato with facial features in the slightly wrong place.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Gobblecoque posted:

oblivion does look like poo poo tho

it does but its playable. not like you'd want to play it....but it's playable

some day i'll beat oblivion and be able to definitively say "yes this game is poo poo" but gently caress me if I'm gonna do that vanilla. I know on the forums when MGSO was getting big someone volunteered to make something similar for oblivion. All the mod authors said no. Like 30 no's and 3 yes's to the question "can we put your mod in this pack". Morrowind had the opposite response.

Of course the real answer is "you don't own mods you make gently caress off I'm doing it anyway"

someone make an oblivion pack

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

Morrowind manual was cool and the character pics had armor that didn't exist in the game but you could make them in the construction kit because it was weird poo poo like the top bit of a chitin pauldron and the lower part of an iron one.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Poniard posted:

Morrowind manual was cool and the character pics had armor that didn't exist in the game but you could make them in the construction kit because it was weird poo poo like the top bit of a chitin pauldron and the lower part of an iron one.

you can't edit meshes in the construction set though

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

you can pick the sub parts of pre existing armor and rearrange them. each armor piece had a mesh that took up a "slot" like some helmets took up a hair slot or a head slot, and since they take up two different slots you can merge them together into one weird helmet like a glass helmet with a daedric face of whatever

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Really wish the other 3 of these made it into the game.

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

Mortimer posted:

what you're looking for is HELLUVA weapons and HELLUVA armor, it's like 1500 weapons and armor of varying quality added to chests and merchants and its loving crazy. Most are the same cool mesh with 9 different colors but your odds of seeing the same thing with different colors are like 0. One of the cool things included in it is the armor completion, so like the dreugh set now has full armor, and the dragonscale now has full armor, etc etc. Any extraneous piece of armor now has a full set. Dragonbone? GOOD LUCK but it's out there.

yeah that sounds like what i'm lookin for, thanx

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

I really like MK's art, and I wish they would go back to making armor that had a theme to it instead of ugly WoW armor in Skyrim.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
I think MK kinda sucks but I agree with ur wow armor

I wish they would make armor sets that were based more on a fighting style or culture than material. Like different types of scale and mail. put towards an actual goal like maybe you want a light but durable armor I recommend this orcalchim studded leather or some poo poo. Just armor that looks like people made it based off of what materials they had on hand and what they planned on doing with it. It's dumb to have a linear iron > silver > steel > bonemold > orc > daedric whatever system. There should be benefits to using any armor at any point in the game. In skyrim it was a huge waste for me to even make banded iron because the jarl would give steel like 20 seconds later as the first main quest reward. And banded iron was one of the coolest looking ones IMO

It'd be cool to see what the different TES cultures' solutions would be for different kinds of jobs like scout or skirmisher or heavy troop or battlemage, or archer or dignitary or whatever.

post ur ideas for a good elder scrolls game

still pissed netch leather wasn't in dragonborn

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdaM5Mv-TTo

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Make armor piecemeal again

dont make up some lovely excuse that your artists want to be able to design better armor all-in-one when the armor they DO design looks like absolute poo poo

send this post directly to todd

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
make the writing good, or at least not-bad

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TdaM5Mv-TTo

HoboNews
Oct 11, 2012

Don't rattle me bones

Mortimer posted:

Make armor piecemeal again

dont make up some lovely excuse that your artists want to be able to design better armor all-in-one when the armor they DO design looks like absolute poo poo

And make it so the pauldrons peek out when you wear a cloak like they dont even care if it clips

Also make it so cloaks can be worn over armor again
Otherwise why would I EVER want to be a battlemage

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
lol, so you have to kill this penitus oculatus buy for the dark brotherhood and his travel schedule is like "Monday, far western side of the province. Wednesday, middle of province. Saturday, far eastern side. Repeat". Yeah, I totally believe this guy is walking from one end of Skyrim to the other and then back in 7 days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:
bring back belts

• Locked thread