Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

PierreTheMime posted:

If you want, you can post your list here and we can discuss good options. For Eldar, Wave Serpents are pretty much an auto-include and help a good deal in weathering Tau fire.

quote:

HQ

1) Autarch (70) w/ jetbike (15), laser lance (10)=95pts

2) Farseer (100) w/ singing spear (5), runes of witnessing (15)=120pts

3) 2 Warlocks (70) w/ 1 x singing spear (5)=75pts

Total: 290pts

Troops

1) Dire Avengers. 10 troops (130pts)+Exarch (10pts)+PWep and Shimmershield (20pts)=160pts
2) 2xGuardians. 20 troops (180pts)+Bright Lance (20pts)+Starcannon(20pts)=220pts
Total: 380 pts

Elites
1) Fire Dragons. 6 troops (132pts)+Exarch(10pts)+Firepike(15pts)+Fast Shot(10pts)=167pts
2) Striking Scorpions. 10 troops (170pts)+Exarch(10pts)+ShuPis&ScoClaw(30pts)+Crushing Blow(10pts)+Stalker(10)=230pts
Total: 397pts

Heavy
1) Dark Reapers. 6 troops (180pts)+Starshotx5(40pts)+Exarch(10pts)+Night Vision(5pts)+Fast Shot(10pts)=245pts
2) Falcon. 1 tank (120pts)+Bright Lance(10pts)+Crystal Targeting Matrix(25pts)+Star Engines(15pts)+Holo-Fields(15pts)=185pts
Total: 430

Of this list I kept the Dragons, Scorpions and Falcon in reserve, with the six dragons mounted in the latter and the Scorpions outflanking. Outside this list I own a full squad of Swooping Hawks, one war walker and vyper each, an Avatar, and six Howling Banshees with an Executioner-armed Exarch. I don't own any Wave Serpents because when I collected (back in junior high) they were a fairly expensive Forge World kit not sold at my local GW. I don't plan to buy many more models, hence the look for tactical resources: I want to learn how to use my poo poo better, not acquire more of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Hey, this is not at all 40K-related, but can you drop me your email address at krushgroove169 at gmail.com? You don't have PMs and I've been trying to get hold of you for a little while :)

Creepy Goat
Sep 19, 2010

Sulecrist posted:

Do Imperial Fists and have the big guy counts as Lysander. Not sure how accurate the rest of it is but what the hell.

Alternatively, do what I'm doing and use Salamanders. My guys have a boarding-party theme, with lots of flamers and melta and few vehicles, so Salamanders seemed appropriate.

I looked up the character sheet for Moloc and duhh I'd have to take Minotaurs CTs if I used him. I hoped I could take CTs from one army and use him as an HQ for his insane stats rather than proxying. The Sally idea would have been cool, but I guess if I want to use that actual Moloc character I'll have to go with his CTs.

Might just have to try and bend the rules at the local club.

ZachAttack
Mar 17, 2009

Malevolent Hatform
Nap Ghost

DJ Dizzy posted:

Yep. Mind you, I do live in Denmark

Is that upstate New York?
Kidding! Never mind then.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Creepy Goat posted:

I looked up the character sheet for Moloc and duhh I'd have to take Minotaurs CTs if I used him. I hoped I could take CTs from one army and use him as an HQ for his insane stats rather than proxying. The Sally idea would have been cool, but I guess if I want to use that actual Moloc character I'll have to go with his CTs.

Might just have to try and bend the rules at the local club.

You could try out the Minotaurs tactics, they seem pretty decent. I'm talking about the ones from the pdf on Forge World's site, I don't know if there's a more recent set of rules in a book somewhere.

Unrelenting Assault: Models do not suffer panic (I think they meant morale) tests from shooting and can re-roll failed pinning tests.
Trample and Crush: Models get Crusader and +1 to charge rolls while in an enemy deployment zone.

They're not amazing, but there's some good stuff in there if you're running an infantry-heavy list.

Two Feet From Bread
Apr 20, 2009

I'm. A. Fucking. Nazi.

please punch me in the face
i love it
give it to me daddy
College Slice

Hahaha, guess what is missing from the wargear list and special rules list.

Creepy Goat
Sep 19, 2010
No Venerable, no Extra Armour, NO SMOKE LAUNCHER :qq:

Crusader is re-roll runs or something isn't it? I haven't played in so long. I hate painting big vehicles so might be worth a try. It's just one of the weakest CTs around.

Creepy Goat fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jul 30, 2014

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Creepy Goat posted:

I have absolutely zero rule books or codices lying around, does anyone know of good chapter tactics that'd work for Minotaurs? I know there's the official Badab ones but they're terrible.
Ultramarines are the greekest of the first founding chapters.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Creepy Goat posted:

Won't that be in the army list entry as options? Same as the weapons since I bet you have to pay extra for the murder claws.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Ultramarines are the greekest of the first founding chapters.

That always struck me as odd, since they're all the geneseed of a great old Frenchman.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
It's a cool unit at first glance but then afterwards its like wait... it has front armour 12, and no save except for cover.

Creepy Goat
Sep 19, 2010

serious gaylord posted:

Won't that be in the army list entry as options? Same as the weapons since I bet you have to pay extra for the murder claws.

Huh that's a good point. Still no Venerable rule so it'll melt like butter before getting into CC. Also the claws are literally made from ice.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

serious gaylord posted:

There are no army list entries anymore, (at least going by the ork codex). There's one page for each unit that lists, rules, options fluff and points costs. The muderthings are included in its points costs. All the unique wargear in the ork book is listed in a similar fashion.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I've read that the Space Marine ibook enhanced codex has an army builder built in to it, do the other enhanced codeces have the same functionality, like the blood angels one?

Two Feet From Bread
Apr 20, 2009

I'm. A. Fucking. Nazi.

please punch me in the face
i love it
give it to me daddy
College Slice

Creepy Goat posted:

Try no murderclaws wargear and no murderlust special rule.

It literally has no weapons.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

Two Feet From Bread posted:

additionally, just like in the ork book, there will be a page preceding the unit entries stating that unique special rules and wargear take those particular formats.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

"In times of great strife the machine-beast is released from it's glacial prison and-"

*Hit by a D weapon, immediately implodes*

"Why were we keeping that thing around again?"

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Ugh is this the " Does not actually have Tactical Dreadnought armour" argument all over again?

I hated that argument.

And it's more like " Shot with a Autocannon, immobilized, does nothing"

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
It's not even an argument, it's just people not understanding how 7th edition unit entries work.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

MasterSlowPoke posted:

It's not even an argument, it's just people not understanding how 7th edition unit entries work.

Seriously. It's not hard, they're just being contradictory.

Gotta get fun out of a Games Workshop product somehow. :v:

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Two Feet From Bread posted:

They've been using the same format since the first 6th edition codex. As an example, look at Calgar. He doesn't have his fists listed under wargear, they're in a separate "relics" box. This isn't new and I'm pretty sure this exact conversation has already come up.

DO IT TO IT
Mar 3, 2008

I know "mon" means man, but I don't think "Och" means anything.

Yeah, I can't believe this is a Thing that people are having trouble with. Or is everyone on the internet who's talking about it just joking? I can't tell.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Does Wazdakka make Murderfangs Troops?

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.

SRM posted:

Does Wazdakka make Murderfangs Troops?

Only if joined by Telion.

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER

Creepy Goat posted:

...found at the bottom of a bits box...

You have an impressive bits box.

Tequila Ranger
Sep 11, 2004

host after host after host ...

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I've read that the Space Marine ibook enhanced codex has an army builder built in to it, do the other enhanced codeces have the same functionality, like the blood angels one?

From a quick look at my collection: Space Marines, Tyranids, Astra Militarum, and Orks have the Force Requisition.

Battlescribe works on more devices and is better in most every way however.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

PierreTheMime posted:

Seriously. It's not hard, they're just being contradictory.

Gotta get fun out of a Games Workshop product somehow. :v:

I know right, especially when there are literally hundreds of legitimate reasons to make fun of Games Workshop, it's products and it's fans.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Creepy Goat posted:

Crusader is re-roll runs or something isn't it? I haven't played in so long. I hate painting big vehicles so might be worth a try. It's just one of the weakest CTs around.

Rolls an extra dice when making Run moves and adds D3 to Sweeping Advance totals.

e:

The CT might not be stunning (don't know any others, I only just started SM), but Moloc's Preferred Enemy (Space Marines) is great fun when 99% of the meta is just that.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
Space Wolves please have a way to bring more than 4 Dreads I beg you

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I have no doubt one of the dataslates will be for a fortification that has more than 3 dreads similar to the Chaos one for Helbrutes.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
that murderfang looks positively ridiculous. I thought I read somewhere that it costs 135 points? For 4 s7 ap2 attacks that can be delivered via drop pod, no less. I'll take a dozen.

People always say 'these units will get shot before they get into assault!' whenever a good assault unit comes out, and that may or may not be true but eventually there has to be a critical mass of these things that enough won't get shot in time before the melee slaughterfest happens. Would love to drop pod a couple somethings like this into a Tau gunline. too bad I don't play space marines.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

Space Wolves please have a way to bring more than 4 Dreads I beg you

Double force org?

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Fix posted:

Double force org?

Um it's called unbound. :colbert:

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Sharzak posted:

that murderfang looks positively ridiculous. I thought I read somewhere that it costs 135 points? For 4 s7 ap2 attacks that can be delivered via drop pod, no less. I'll take a dozen.

People always say 'these units will get shot before they get into assault!' whenever a good assault unit comes out, and that may or may not be true but eventually there has to be a critical mass of these things that enough won't get shot in time before the melee slaughterfest happens. Would love to drop pod a couple somethings like this into a Tau gunline. too bad I don't play space marines.

People really like comparing units in a vacuum without regarding terrain, army composition, target priority, and so on. I made the mistake of visiting a blog yesterday because I wanted to remember what the Helbrute formations were, and he said every one of the formations was terrible because Tau could kill it quickly.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
A LOT of stuff is sold out on the GW site. The Grey Hunter box is, as well as Arjac/Rune Priest Terminators. Lots of HQ options also gone.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

ijyt posted:

Um it's called unbound. :colbert:

Is it? I thought you could still do two detachments and be cool with battle forged.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

A LOT of stuff is sold out on the GW site. The Grey Hunter box is, as well as Arjac/Rune Priest Terminators. Lots of HQ options also gone.

They're probably reboxing Grey Hunters with the modern packaging aesthetic.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

I am literally seeing all of the stuff that was there a month ago. Maybe just regional differences?

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

SRM posted:

They're probably reboxing Grey Hunters with the modern packaging aesthetic.

Rest in peace Wolf Wolfborn

DJ Dizzy posted:

I am literally seeing all of the stuff that was there a month ago. Maybe just regional differences?

A lot of stuff is 'temporarily out of stock', which is odd for stuff that has been available for years.

A 50S RAYGUN fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jul 30, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

Sharzak posted:

I believe it's a character.

• Locked thread