Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Looks a lot like an illustrated cover for some 90s teen detective novel.

The Kidnappings of Willow Creek

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leviathor
Mar 1, 2002

I drove for awhile and took a picture.

-CHA
Jun 21, 2004

State-of-the-art
home video technology

These are awesome.

Leviathor. Please tell me that those colors were from the sunrise and not from over processing. Love the shot either way :)

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
I'm heading to Jackson Hole on Wednesday for a week of R&R and some hiking around Grand Teton NP.

Does anyone have any advice on spots to shoot in that area? I'm hoping to get up early a few mornings and check out Mormon Row & the Oxbow Bend and what not.

Leviathor
Mar 1, 2002

-CHA posted:

Leviathor. Please tell me that those colors were from the sunrise and not from over processing. Love the shot either way :)

Some saturation and clarity in the RAW editor, followed by some low-mid tone contrast boosting. I didn't mask out the mountain or anything like that for special treatment.

Five minutes after this, Sinopah was a bright, burning orange color.

MMD3 posted:

I'm heading to Jackson Hole on Wednesday for a week of R&R and some hiking around Grand Teton NP.

Does anyone have any advice on spots to shoot in that area? I'm hoping to get up early a few mornings and check out Mormon Row & the Oxbow Bend and what not.

GTNP is trivially a sunrise park. Sunset can be done, but it's more challenging: it requires exceptionally photogenic weather.

In no specific order: Oxbow Bend (get there super early to stake your claim, that's a sunset shot), Snake River Overlook (Ansel Adams' famous shot), Antelope Flats road (North and South Moulton barns), and Schwabacher Landing are all easy-to-drive-to locations with virtually no walking required.

Colter Bay can be pretty, and is easy, flat hiking. Leigh Lake is also flat hiking around very clear, and typically calm water. There are many little valley lakes in GTNP, so if you want a decent day hike or two, there are many options. I can't remember the one I did back in 2010 or so, but it had some nice vistas from the south end of the park to the south and east (down on Leigh Lake). Do you remember that trail name, emf?

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Leviathor posted:

Some saturation and clarity in the RAW editor, followed by some low-mid tone contrast boosting. I didn't mask out the mountain or anything like that for special treatment.

Five minutes after this, Sinopah was a bright, burning orange color.

GTNP is trivially a sunrise park. Sunset can be done, but it's more challenging: it requires exceptionally photogenic weather.

In no specific order: Oxbow Bend (get there super early to stake your claim, that's a sunset shot), Snake River Overlook (Ansel Adams' famous shot), Antelope Flats road (North and South Moulton barns), and Schwabacher Landing are all easy-to-drive-to locations with virtually no walking required.

Colter Bay can be pretty, and is easy, flat hiking. Leigh Lake is also flat hiking around very clear, and typically calm water. There are many little valley lakes in GTNP, so if you want a decent day hike or two, there are many options. I can't remember the one I did back in 2010 or so, but it had some nice vistas from the south end of the park to the south and east (down on Leigh Lake). Do you remember that trail name, emf?

Awesome info, thanks!

So you're suggesting that sunset shooting isn't worth it unless you have some great cloud coverage? We were planning on doing a couple mornings of shooting, maybe only one of them would be really devoted to getting some landscapes, another morning we are going wildlife watching. The hope would be to be out the door around 6am, should that be early enough? I won't have my own car since we are flying in and staying with my significant other's family in a lodge so I just don't know how many opportunities I'll have to shoot. I know I won't be catching any great fall colors but I want to try to make the most of the opportunity.

This is the hike I was looking at: http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=390684

also hoping to maybe have a chance to go tandem paragliding.

Really appreciate the tips, I'll let you know if I get anything good.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
hello landscape thread. it's been a long time.

Activity by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

Night Toyota by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

One Way by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

EPICAC
Mar 23, 2001

A couple from Colorado at the end of June.

Independence Pass, Colorado by EPICAC, on Flickr

La Plata Peak by EPICAC, on Flickr

Leviathor
Mar 1, 2002

MMD3 posted:

Awesome info, thanks!

So you're suggesting that sunset shooting isn't worth it unless you have some great cloud coverage? We were planning on doing a couple mornings of shooting, maybe only one of them would be really devoted to getting some landscapes, another morning we are going wildlife watching. The hope would be to be out the door around 6am, should that be early enough? I won't have my own car since we are flying in and staying with my significant other's family in a lodge so I just don't know how many opportunities I'll have to shoot. I know I won't be catching any great fall colors but I want to try to make the most of the opportunity.

This is the hike I was looking at: http://www.everytrail.com/view_trip.php?trip_id=390684

also hoping to maybe have a chance to go tandem paragliding.

Really appreciate the tips, I'll let you know if I get anything good.

Yeah, clouds to produce vibrant pinks and saturating oranges are pretty much required for sunset in GTNP.

Sunrise looks to be about ten after 6 this week, with civil twilight about half an hour earlier. If you want to shoot Antelope Flats or Oxbow (the really, really popular places), I'd recommend getting there as early as practically possible. I usually show up at least half an hour early and drink coffee until the other 'tour photogs' show up. Since it's not September/October aspen season, you will probably run into fewer shooters, but when I drove down from the Snake River Overlook this past week there were at least ten SUVs crowding around Schwabacher landing, the caveat being that I did see a couple rafts going down the Snake when I was shooting sunrise, so ymmv.

Alpenglow only lasts for a few minutes, and since the valley is so flat and high, there aren't many interesting shadows or colors after the alpenglow turns. Afterward, the mountains reflect the oranges on the opposite horizon, which are, invariably, weak in color. There are rare instances of some bursting oranges, but if it's a clear sky, you'll get no scattering, and the pinks will be the highlight of the morning. For example, last week with clear skies I got some uninspiring alpenglow, then some faint oranges appeared after the sun eclipsed the horizon. I was packing up when the orange was washing out, and then everyone showed up to shoot the "sunrise."

If you're going to hit Antelope Flats, I'd recommend choosing your barn beforehand. The north barn is the one that's often shown with really dramatic compression (shooting 200+ mm sometimes), but those shots are made from up the paved road to the east; there's a little impromptu 'parking area' up there maybe a tenth of a mile or so. If you want to shoot the north barn wide, get there before people start getting to the pullout. The south barn is shot from the plain right by the barn, so you can park _right there_ and pile out minutes beforehand, if you so choose, and if you want to tip-toe around everyone else to get the remaining views. The most flattering views of the south barn are from the southwest in the treeline, imo, so get there early and feel it out. If the water's running high in the valley, there's sometimes water in the lower areas of the plains, but I don't think that's the case this year.

If you like being outside in clean mountain air, I don't think you'll be disappointed by any of the hikes in GTNP. I've never paraglided, so I can't comment on that, but it sounds awesome. I'd love to fly into KJAC some day just to see the sights from 12.5 or so in a Cessna.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Meena Sundry Shop by alkanphel, on Flickr

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

atomicthumbs posted:

hello landscape thread. it's been a long time.

Night Toyota by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

The other two are good, but I especially love this one!

I'd kinda like to see it without the light trails though, just for comparison, can't make a call on it, really.

Breadnought
Aug 25, 2009

Taiko
Jul 13, 2006

Lagen Island Sunset
by jlgriffiths, on Flickr

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Ligature by atomicthumbs, on Flickr

VomitOnLino posted:

The other two are good, but I especially love this one!

I'd kinda like to see it without the light trails though, just for comparison, can't make a call on it, really.

I'll have to wait until the next full moon and pray a car doesn't come by in 15 minutes. :mad:

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

atomicthumbs posted:

I'll have to wait until the next full moon and pray a car doesn't come by in 15 minutes. :mad:

Cover your lens with a hat.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

ansel autisms posted:

Cover your lens with a hat.

it would have been a good idea at the time, yes.

LargeHadron
May 19, 2009

They say, "you mean it's just sounds?" thinking that for something to just be a sound is to be useless, whereas I love sounds just as they are, and I have no need for them to be anything more than what they are.

I like this. That is some heavy grain for 100 speed film though. What gives?

pootiebigwang
Jun 26, 2008
Untitled by Dev Luns, on Flickr

pootiebigwang fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Aug 15, 2014

deaders
Jun 14, 2002

Someone felt sorry enough for me to change my custom title.

nice!

Dunes, Perth, July 2014 by s d photo, on Flickr

Surf City, Perth, July 2014 by s d photo, on Flickr

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

That is just pure awesome.

This is a panorama I took from a kayak with a telephoto

More mountains:

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

Leviathor posted:

Yeah, clouds to produce vibrant pinks and saturating oranges are pretty much required for sunset in GTNP.

Sunrise looks to be about ten after 6 this week, with civil twilight about half an hour earlier. If you want to shoot Antelope Flats or Oxbow (the really, really popular places), I'd recommend getting there as early as practically possible. I usually show up at least half an hour early and drink coffee until the other 'tour photogs' show up. Since it's not September/October aspen season, you will probably run into fewer shooters, but when I drove down from the Snake River Overlook this past week there were at least ten SUVs crowding around Schwabacher landing, the caveat being that I did see a couple rafts going down the Snake when I was shooting sunrise, so ymmv.

Alpenglow only lasts for a few minutes, and since the valley is so flat and high, there aren't many interesting shadows or colors after the alpenglow turns. Afterward, the mountains reflect the oranges on the opposite horizon, which are, invariably, weak in color. There are rare instances of some bursting oranges, but if it's a clear sky, you'll get no scattering, and the pinks will be the highlight of the morning. For example, last week with clear skies I got some uninspiring alpenglow, then some faint oranges appeared after the sun eclipsed the horizon. I was packing up when the orange was washing out, and then everyone showed up to shoot the "sunrise."

If you're going to hit Antelope Flats, I'd recommend choosing your barn beforehand. The north barn is the one that's often shown with really dramatic compression (shooting 200+ mm sometimes), but those shots are made from up the paved road to the east; there's a little impromptu 'parking area' up there maybe a tenth of a mile or so. If you want to shoot the north barn wide, get there before people start getting to the pullout. The south barn is shot from the plain right by the barn, so you can park _right there_ and pile out minutes beforehand, if you so choose, and if you want to tip-toe around everyone else to get the remaining views. The most flattering views of the south barn are from the southwest in the treeline, imo, so get there early and feel it out. If the water's running high in the valley, there's sometimes water in the lower areas of the plains, but I don't think that's the case this year.

If you like being outside in clean mountain air, I don't think you'll be disappointed by any of the hikes in GTNP. I've never paraglided, so I can't comment on that, but it sounds awesome. I'd love to fly into KJAC some day just to see the sights from 12.5 or so in a Cessna.

We have the wonderful fortune of getting to fly into KJAC tomorrow on a cessna citation... hoping to see some spectacular views on the way in!

My two main lenses for landscape are a 16-35 f/2.8 and a 24 f/1.4... I'll probably rent a 70-200mm for the trip. I don't suppose you have any geo coords for where to shoot from?

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

LargeHadron posted:

I like this. That is some heavy grain for 100 speed film though. What gives?

Lots of sharpening, perhaps combined with machine development and maybe my XA2 underexposing?

Leviathor
Mar 1, 2002

MMD3 posted:

We have the wonderful fortune of getting to fly into KJAC tomorrow on a cessna citation... hoping to see some spectacular views on the way in!

My two main lenses for landscape are a 16-35 f/2.8 and a 24 f/1.4... I'll probably rent a 70-200mm for the trip. I don't suppose you have any geo coords for where to shoot from?

I tried getting some tags off Google and OSM, but nothing seemed to work nicely.

The north part of Antelope Flats road tees onto pavement, and there's a parking area to the north of that, which is the area for the North Moulton Barn. A bit down the paved road to the east, on the north side of the road, is the parking area (like, one or two cars' worth of parking) for the big compression shots of the North Barn.

A bit down the road to the south is an obvious parking area on the east side of the street for the South Moulton Barn.

Oxbow is all about getting there early and walking around and finding the composition you want. There's a bit of a hill, so you can shoot from higher up, or choose to go down by the river and shoot a lower perspective. It's so trodden that the only things that are growing are sage and larger bushes that people can't trample.

The barns can be shot up close with the 35, but you might find it a bit wide (depending on body, and compositional taste). Oxbow almost always looks better with something longer. My sunset shot from there was 75 mm full frame, and that makes Moran look nice and prominent in the frame while still including some foreground.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Since I found the Moulton barns super hard to figure the first time I went there, the specific coordinates are:

North Barn: 43.6661023 -110.6644289
"Parking": 43.6661214 -110.6616661
South Barn: 43.6605829 -110.664212

(paste those coordinates into google maps)

You'll probably see people lining up in the ditch near the north barn, it's not a bad place to shoot from if you have a short focal length but the "good" shots that litter the internet come from the eastern vantage point, like Leviathor said. If you scroll around on the map you'll see another parking area along Antelope Flats Rd, don't bother with it.

It's definitely something every photographer should do once because it's such a ridiculously good shot, but the composition is so cliche at this point don't expect to take a picture that's going to do anything original.. unless you can find some way to camp out on the west side of the barn and shoot towards the east, somehow get a photo of dozens of photographers without them lynching you. :v:

pootiebigwang
Jun 26, 2008

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

InternetJunky posted:

That is just pure awesome.

This is a panorama I took from a kayak with a telephoto

More mountains:

This appears to be up near Jasper, with Pyramid Mountain in the first pic?

Musket
Mar 19, 2008
Tiger Bar, Portland by Ashade76, on Flickr

Leviathor
Mar 1, 2002

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

_DSC5831 by Stingray of Doom, on Flickr

More of the same from me.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

This is confusing my brain but it owns

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

atomicthumbs posted:

This is confusing my brain but it owns

A bar bathroom i liked.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Musket posted:

A bar bathroom i liked.

did you stick a remote flash behind the light bulb or something?

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
dust buster comin thru

]

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
Hey guys let me just post some photos that I took the time to SHOOT LARGE MOTHERFUCKING FORMAT BLACK AND WHITE but not to bother with cropping or spotting because I don't respect your time or myself in any way.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

8th-snype posted:

I don't respect your time or myself in any way.

I really don't. I am literally, figuratively as I type this right now choking on spew. I do not respect myself. Or your eyes. Or dust.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

atomicthumbs posted:

did you stick a remote flash behind the light bulb or something?

Nope. Just metered the scene for it.

Musket
Mar 19, 2008

Sludge Tank posted:

I really don't. I am literally, figuratively as I type this right now choking on spew. I do not respect myself. Or your eyes. Or dust.

One Rcman was enough. Don't be him. Shits weak and dusty. Should have pressed delete.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Sludge Tank posted:

I hope you wash your next batch of negs in a rogue wave.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
I love you guys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Putrid Grin
Sep 16, 2007

8th-snype posted:

Hey guys let me just post some photos that I took the time to SHOOT LARGE MOTHERFUCKING FORMAT BLACK AND WHITE but not to bother with cropping or spotting because I don't respect your time or myself in any way.

Still using that 56k modem I see...