Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
goldenoreos
Jan 5, 2012

Take care of my animals while I'm gone
I got the first trade of FBP and I like it enough to wait for the next trade. The art is fantastic and the premise is cool. It just needs a-lot more character work for it to be a must read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I want FBP to be great pretty much because of this cover.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Free Breakfast Pancakes.

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular
Is that an egg on poutine?

laz0rbeak
Oct 9, 2011
Really enjoying the Wolf Among Us got me to go back and re-read the first couple volumes of Fables. Oof, they did not age well. The exposition is so clumsy (at one point Bigby asks how Bluebeard is so rich), the mystery is terrible, and in general it's just a bunch of simple deconstruction that feels like it's made to appeal directly to Hot Topic kids too young to have read any Sandman. I remember it gets better, but I wouldn't complain if Wolf Among Us made whatever changes it wanted, as in general I feel like the Telltale people developed a tone and did a far better job establishing character than the first 10 issues of the comics did.

Sailor Viy
Aug 4, 2013

And when I can swim no longer, if I have not reached Aslan's country, or shot over the edge of the world into some vast cataract, I shall sink with my nose to the sunrise.

Hakkesshu posted:

It loses steam around the time they defeat the Adversary, but I still like the book. Just know that Wolf Among Us has a very different tone and feel, so it's not necessarily a good indicator for how much you will enjoy it. Pick up the first couple of trades and then if you like it, just keep going until it feels like you've reached a natural stopping point.

Also, don't bother with Jack of Fables. Absolute mess of twee metafiction that goes nowhere.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
I can't really put into words how much it bothers me that vertigo quarterly has an ad on the back.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Sandman #3 was entirely worth the wait. Holy moly, what a beautiful comic. Nothing has ever looked like this before; it's a superlative work even for Williams and Gaiman.

Also, the final issue of The Wake was dense enough that it probably merits a second readthrough. It's pretty out there but not remotely in a bad way.

Kull the Conqueror fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Jul 31, 2014

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Bodies was pretty interesting.
Anyone try CMYK Magenta? I'm hearing it's much better than Cyan was.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Kull the Conqueror posted:

Also, the final issue of The Wake was dense enough that it probably merits a second readthrough. It's pretty out there but not remotely in a bad way.

No, it's just bad. What a complete letdown.

Ruptured Yakety Sax
Jun 8, 2012

ARE YOU AN ANGEL, BIRD??

Sandman #3 was entirely worth the wait. Holy moly, what a beautiful comic. Nothing has ever looked like this before; it's a superlative work even for Williams and Gaiman.

Yeah it was great. What artists styles are being referenced (if they are all referencing someone) at the start there where the different forces are being amassed? The first one with the Monks of Klaa is Brandon Graham, the third one is obviously Moebius. But I don't recognise the others, though that second panel with the Resplendent Jury is super familiar.

e: Just noticed the planet on that page is Mogo :)

Jedit posted:

No, it's just bad. What a complete letdown.

Yeah in the end I'm not sure what to think about the Wake. That ending certainly came out of left field, which isn't necessarily a bad thing but ultimately I'm feeling a bit dissatisfied with the whole thing.

I think maybe the whole series could have been better being little bit longer, mostly the second half, just to flesh out a few of the ideas it had going on. That travelog in the ninth issue as they visit all those weird little post apocalyptic cultures being only a few pages was super disappointing. It could have been a ton of fun, would have loved to see it be a full issue.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
I really don't want to just rush towards saying it was bad but now even looking back on it, I really have no idea what happened in the last issue, both in words and images.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Man, am I the only one that is having trouble with JHW III's Sandman layouts? There were multiple pages where he was doing cool things with the panels that made it next to impossible to tell if I was looking at a double page spread and whether or not I should read further across or move down for the next panel. Then there were pages in the latter half of the book where I couldn't even tell if I was reading dialog/narration in the right order.

His pages look beautiful, but in a comic that is a textually driven as Sandman is, I would appreciate not having to pull myself out of reading it to figure out where I need to go next on the page.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

bairfanx posted:

Man, am I the only one that is having trouble with JHW III's Sandman layouts? There were multiple pages where he was doing cool things with the panels that made it next to impossible to tell if I was looking at a double page spread and whether or not I should read further across or move down for the next panel. Then there were pages in the latter half of the book where I couldn't even tell if I was reading dialog/narration in the right order.

His pages look beautiful, but in a comic that is a textually driven as Sandman is, I would appreciate not having to pull myself out of reading it to figure out where I need to go next on the page.

You just have to look at it as a whole and it becomes obvious if it is a spread or not. I have that problem a lot though when I'm moving through it too fast.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
I think the word bubbles in the more staggering layouts are oriented to guide your eyes in the right direction.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

Senor Candle posted:

You just have to look at it as a whole and it becomes obvious if it is a spread or not. I have that problem a lot though when I'm moving through it too fast.

If I have to read a word balloon in one panel and then go and read another one in a different panel to figure out what order the panels need to be read in, they're doing something wrong. There's no obvious way to read the double page spread just before the last page, and it's because JHW III is playing around with layouts that he wants to look pretty and symmetric.

bairfanx fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jul 31, 2014

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I didn't understand the last issue of Wake at all. Are the Mers aliens or what? I'm totally lost and confused :(

SalTheBard fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jul 31, 2014

God Of Paradise
Jan 23, 2012
You know, I'd be less worried about my 16 year old daughter dating a successful 40 year old cartoonist than dating a 16 year old loser.

I mean, Jesus, kid, at least date a motherfucker with abortion money and house to have sex at where your mother and I don't have to hear it. Also, if he treats her poorly, boom, that asshole's gonna catch a statch charge.

Please, John K. Date my daughter... Save her from dating smelly dropouts who wanna-be Soundcloud rappers.

Benny the Snake posted:

Oh okay. What's everybody's favorite Hellblazer trade?

Dangerous Habits is going to win every time. I don't think there's any sound argument against it, it's such a brilliant classic.

Since I stopped reading during Mike Carey's run, after sitting through the Azzarello nonsense, I'm not entirely sure what would get number 2... But I really enjoyed Haunted.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Benny the Snake posted:

Oh okay. What's everybody's favorite Hellblazer trade?

All of them other than Mina's and pieces of Azzarello's run. Hard Time and the one with him caught in a storm are pretty great.

Ruptured Yakety Sax
Jun 8, 2012

ARE YOU AN ANGEL, BIRD??

SalTheBard posted:

I didn't understand the last issue of Wake at all. Are the Mers aliens or what? I'm totally lost and confused :(

I don't think so from what I understand humans are. Humanity seeds our DNA throughout the galaxy so that planets with life will evolve a species of human. From monkey to man. So that the planet is capable of supporting human life? But then at the last minute they fly down and kill off that most evolved species, taking their place. Then they forget they were ever aliens at all, through the chemicals in the tears, and live out their lives happily on earth. The mermaids are a native species that likely also evolved from that human seed and which survived being purged be becoming or already being aquatic. And then once we were primitive again proceeded to wreck our poo poo

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Goatmask posted:

I don't think so from what I understand humans are. Humanity seeds our DNA throughout the galaxy so that planets with life will evolve a species of human. From monkey to man. So that the planet is capable of supporting human life? But then at the last minute they fly down and kill off that most evolved species, taking their place. Then they forget they were ever aliens at all, through the chemicals in the tears, and live out their lives happily on earth. The mermaids are a native species that likely also evolved from that human seed and which survived being purged be becoming or already being aquatic. And then once we were primitive again proceeded to wreck our poo poo

That actually makes sense. I read it again with that in mind and it actually did make some sense to me.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

Goatmask posted:

For a single issue, that is way too much exposition to dump on a ten-part series at once.

Genetic Toaster
Jun 5, 2011

The Wake really went off the deep end in it's second half. I liked it a whole lot more when it was being The Thing in the oil rig under the sea.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

For a single issue, that is way too much exposition to dump on a ten-part series at once.

It's way too much to dump on any series in the last issue, especially when you follow up immediately with "THE END".

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

Fallen Rib

Genetic Toaster posted:

The Wake really went off the deep end in it's second half. I liked it a whole lot more when it was being The Thing in the oil rig under the sea.

That's how I feel too

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Yeah, Snyder took his neat world and adventure, and slapped on an interesting but totally unearned metaphor at the end. It's like he just rushed to finish things.
The Murphy/GM book sort of ended the same way, too.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

StumblyWumbly posted:

Yeah, Snyder took his neat world and adventure, and slapped on an interesting but totally unearned metaphor at the end. It's like he just rushed to finish things.
The Murphy/GM book sort of ended the same way, too.

Joe the Barbarian? There's no slapped on metaphor in that book at all - everything unusual is Joe's hypoglycaemia-induced hallucinations.

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

Okay, DMZ full run is on sale on Comixology. I haven't read it. I read and enjoyed Transmetropolitan, Preacher, Lucifer, Sandman, Scalped, Sweet Tooth, Y: The Last Man from Vertigo.

The premise seems pretty interesting, and so did issue #1, but I don't tend to hear DMZ brought up nearly as often as the above series. From some initial research, seems like there's at least a solid group that really likes it, but everyone agrees it lags in the middle. Is there anything more in-depth to say about it?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Neat-o.
I still haven't finished the Sandman, Preacher, Transmet or Scalped complete runs I bought from Comixology sales, but I'll add this to the pile. :)

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

onefish posted:

Okay, DMZ full run is on sale on Comixology. I haven't read it. I read and enjoyed Transmetropolitan, Preacher, Lucifer, Sandman, Scalped, Sweet Tooth, Y: The Last Man from Vertigo.

The premise seems pretty interesting, and so did issue #1, but I don't tend to hear DMZ brought up nearly as often as the above series. From some initial research, seems like there's at least a solid group that really likes it, but everyone agrees it lags in the middle. Is there anything more in-depth to say about it?

I thought it was a really neat premise but the book doesn't seem to commit to it fully, really. I got through the first oversized hardcover and decided to pass on the rest.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
I still haven't finished DMZ; it definitely drooped in volume 5 and I haven't continued with it yet beyond vol. 6. However, the first four volumes (1-22) are stupendous, especially 18-22. Wood's science fiction is very grounded in contemporary geopolitics (dude does more research than a lot of writers), and as such it might come off to some as detrimentally didactic, but I think he sets a great and engaging tone. I also think his current series, The Massive, is an improvement over the kind of work he did with DMZ.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Jedit posted:

Joe the Barbarian? There's no slapped on metaphor in that book at all - everything unusual is Joe's hypoglycaemia-induced hallucinations.

I was thinking about Joe. I haven't read it since it came out, but I thought it was trying to make some larger point about Joe's dead father or something.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I still haven't finished DMZ; it definitely drooped in volume 5 and I haven't continued with it yet beyond vol. 6. However, the first four volumes (1-22) are stupendous, especially 18-22. Wood's science fiction is very grounded in contemporary geopolitics (dude does more research than a lot of writers), and as such it might come off to some as detrimentally didactic, but I think he sets a great and engaging tone. I also think his current series, The Massive, is an improvement over the kind of work he did with DMZ.

It's funny how for years all I heard was how depressing DMZ was but then when I tried reading it all I could think was "man, if this happened in real life it would be so much worse."

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
I recently sat down and reread The Unwritten from start to this weeks issue in one sitting.

Oh my god, you guys. With the exception of the unfortunate Fables "crossover", this is the best book. And (relatively) soon, it's all going away :(

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

I don't post to this subforum often but it seems pretty small so I'm going to assume we rarely do individual threads for comics led alone miniseries but I had to post somewhere. I just caught up with The Sandman - Overture and I'm loving loving it! I've enjoyed pretty much anything Gaiman has written with the character but have been blown away by this so far. It's possible that I've just been without new content from the character for so long that I'm biased but the story is firing on all cylinders for me and the art is just superb. I had a harder time following the panels than the average comic perhaps but didn't find it too difficult and actually enjoyed that they were a bit more challenging for the sake of creativity.

I'm looking to read Hellblazer again and am wondering if there are any notably bad arcs to avoid. I can't recall where I stopped last time to be honest though I know I loved a lot of the early stuff, it's just that 300 issues is a lot and I have a hard time believing any series could maintain that quality throughout. I'd also agree with those above that say Dangerous Habits is the best TPB even having not read the whole series, it's just brilliant.

Levin fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Oct 7, 2014

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Corte posted:

I'm looking to read Hellblazer again and am wondering if there are any notably bad arcs to avoid.

Anything with "Azzarello" on the cover. Most of the rest is at least tolerable, though Denise Mina didn't cover herself in glory.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Jedit posted:

Anything with "Azzarello" on the cover.

But those are the best ones

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

You're thinking of Jamie Delano.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

You are entitled to your opinion, but I prefer to read John Constantine: Hellblazer when it has John Constantine in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Jedit posted:

You are entitled to your opinion, but I prefer to read John Constantine: Hellblazer when it has John Constantine in it.

You should try the Azzarello run, it's good.

Pope Guilty posted:

You're thinking of Jamie Delano.

Yeah Delano and most of the Ennis run are probably better but Azzarello's a solid 3rd place.

Uncle Boogeyman fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Oct 8, 2014

• Locked thread