Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red and Black
Sep 5, 2011

One feature I'm pretty set on having is a flippable LCD screen, so I can see a preview of the shot while speaking into the camera. I'd imagine it'll be hard to make vlogs without that, wouldn't it?

But I do want as nice a picture and sound quality as possible. What if I threw in another $200 of my own money? Would that change much?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
If you've never done video before please don't waste your money on gear.

Just make videos with stuff like your cell phone or iPad or whatever and when you start running into frustrating limitations THEN start enumerating them and figuring out what you need to get.

There is a huge learning curve and you need to work out lots of different things before "how should I spend lots of money" factors into it.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
That is great advice. I've seen brilliant stuff done on just an iPhone. It's how you use it that counts...

...up to a point ;)

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

I would buy a t3i, a shotgun mic for it (like a r0de), and a monopod unless you absolutely need a tripod. You can buy monopods with "feet" that will allow it to stand on its own. Not the fanciest of setups but it's what I used when train traveling across the US, canada and El Salvador.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
But one of the main things listed is selfie style video blogs, which isn't going to be doable with a monopod even if it has feet. You could get away with a cheapy little ballhead tripod + monopod though.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP
If you're just starting out, I say don't even worry about a nice tripod. Get a really cheap tripod ($20 or so) that stands perfectly still, but you can't move the head of it without the shot looking like poo poo. This will train your eye towards composition and framing nice-looking shots with no movement. Too much freedom of movement too soon and your eyes won't be geared towards that. Camera moves should ideally be very specific and deliberate, rather than a default thing to do.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

powderific posted:

But one of the main things listed is selfie style video blogs, which isn't going to be doable with a monopod even if it has feet. You could get away with a cheapy little ballhead tripod + monopod though.

People have been doing selfies with cell phones forever. Yeah you could get some kind of tripod for one but it is hardly necessary.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Responding to the monopod recommendation more than the cell phone one. Cell phone probably does make the most sense. Or you could just get an OK camera and treat it like a cellphone and not worry about trying to do it all pro.

Tiresias
Feb 28, 2002

All that lives lives forever.
Hey friendlies, Tiresias here (formerly known on SA as Tender Branson, VerTiGo3pC and some other crap).

I started monitoring these threads in 2003, back when I had a degree in MIS, a job with a Fortune 500 company doing IT support, and a dream of working in the film and TV industry. I went back to school in 2004, finished a BFA in Film Production in 2007, moved to NYC right as the Writer's Strike hit (sucked). I also had the awesome opportunity to work with a Steadicam Operator in NYC, and I was bit by the Steadicam bug.

March 2008, I took a Steadicam Workshop in Lake Arrowhead, CA, taught by many talented and awesome individuals... oh, and Steadiman. HA. Just kidding, Ruben is knowledgeable, giving, smart and just an awesome human being. Also, if you want a tobacco buzz, just sniff his jacket.

April, 2008 I moved to Los Angeles, worked as an Office PA and runner on an awful MTV series that was cancelled 5 episodes in, and went to freelancing G&E with my friends/contacts. Did that for a few years, and when the right Steadicam rig became available for sale (used), I bought it and have been making my name as a Steadicam op ever since.

I'm in 2 unions (IATSE 600 as cam op; NABET-CWA 53 for FOX Sports), I've done Steadicam with some really awesome people, both behind and in front of the camera. I've worked with people whose work I'd been watching with jealous burning back in 2003, and even before. I've worked with the adult actors who were once child actors, shouting maniacs and calm zen masters.

I guess what I'm trying to say is: if you want it, go get it. Won't be easy, and there is no clear path on how to get there, but the longer you try, the better it gets. Be open, be humble, acknowledge your weaknesses AND your strengths, and work every day to bring your passion (and a smile) to everything you do.

Be the hardest working guy in the room... and then let them discover how talented you are.

Oh, and I got where I am without ever buying a camera. Take that FWIW.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
That's a really good post for the Film Business Thread.

edit RE: buying a starter camera,

I second the recommendation to not buy anything, but only if your main focusing is vlogging. If you main focus is shooting your trip and how beautiful the country you're visiting is, absolutely buy something within your budget. But don't try to buy "production equipment" to fit all those things you're thinking of.

Get a decent camcorder and a monopod, two small things you can take everywhere without hassle, and enjoy being in another country. Record your thoughts later and mate them if you want to. Get out of the "making a production" mindset, get a little camcorder, and go enjoy yourself.

Slim Killington fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jul 14, 2014

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

If you're planning on going into film production as a career and especially focusing on cinematography then you should shoot with what you have rather than buying, as you'll be renting a lot as a professional and should avoid getting caught up in trying to buy loads of gear and going broke because that's a cycle you can't win.

If you want to shoot spur-of-the-moment and you're not as concerned about focusing on a career as a cinematographer, then buy something you can afford and shoot what you can, when you can.

I'm a run-n-gun style filmmaker myself so renting isn't really an option except when I do big jobs, and that's fine for me. I have a t3i myself I use on all of my "gently caress it let's go out and shoot" gigs and it's nice to have that ability to get off my couch, grab my camera bag and be shooting decent quality stuff in less than an hour. But if I'm working for someone else with a budget, then I'm using that budget to rent something way nicer than what I can afford.

An iPhone or something similar will give you a decent-enough image for a vlog series, but on the other hand having a nice dslr on hand is great for getting me to focus on the picture and giving me more options for video quality (flip out screen + different lenses + easy tripod/monopod mounting), audio quality (wider selection of mics + easier mounting), storage (multiple SD cards) and battery life.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

B&H has a deal on the Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera - $500 :aaa:

Yeah I bought one.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Man that's cheap. They say it's only till August 31, but I kindof doubt they'll bring it back up to full price at the end.

Marxist Glue
Jan 12, 2007

GLUE GLUEEEEE GLUUUUUUEEE, Karl Marx! GLUUUEEE GLUE GLLLUUUUUEEEEEE!!!!

1st AD posted:

B&H has a deal on the Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera - $500 :aaa:

Yeah I bought one.

Looks like it's that price on Amazon now too.

Can someone tell me some advantages/disadvantages to this camera? I'm not really familiar with it. I shoot on a T2i right now. Would this be a good replacement or no?

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

It's not a good replacement for a DSLR.

It's a niche camera for people who want to shoot raw video in a tiny form factor. It has advantages like a 13 stop dynamic range and cheap batteries, but if you're not working in Resolve the IQ is overkill and the drawbacks of the form factor are going to drive you nuts.

Marxist Glue
Jan 12, 2007

GLUE GLUEEEEE GLUUUUUUEEE, Karl Marx! GLUUUEEE GLUE GLLLUUUUUEEEEEE!!!!

1st AD posted:

It's not a good replacement for a DSLR.

It's a niche camera for people who want to shoot raw video in a tiny form factor. It has advantages like a 13 stop dynamic range and cheap batteries, but if you're not working in Resolve the IQ is overkill and the drawbacks of the form factor are going to drive you nuts.

Gotcha! Thanks for the response! Would love to play around with it sometime.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
And it's good that the batteries are cheap, because you'll chew through them pretty quick.

Still gonna pick one up, though, that's an insane deal.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Yeah I picked up 3 extras, hopefully that's enough.

Does anyone know off hand how many minutes of raw you get from 128gb?

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

1st AD posted:

If you've never done video before please don't waste your money on gear.

Just make videos with stuff like your cell phone or iPad or whatever and when you start running into frustrating limitations THEN start enumerating them and figuring out what you need to get.

There is a huge learning curve and you need to work out lots of different things before "how should I spend lots of money" factors into it.

With this in mind, my friends and I made a skit show. This is a bit of a cross post from the GBS youtube thread, but I've been reading this thread for the last couple of months picking up tips and hints. So first off, anyone who has shared any tips, thank you. I've never shot anything for anyone else to view so a "huge learning curve" is spot on.

See, I wanted to enter that verbal pitch sitcom contest NBC Playground, but I didn't have any sample material to upload. They wanted both a verbal pitch for a new show and separately sample material to show off your writing/producing skills (luckily not directing, cinematography, lighting, etc... or I'd be boned) that had nothing to do with the pitch.

This was done on no budget. When I say no budget I mean the cost of materials was taken from now-two-month-late rent. :D

You guys are going to either hate this or love it BUT
Shot with a... Samsung S5
Recorded through an M-audio preamp and an at2020.
pvc built filter holders
umbrella with foil fabric glued for reflectors
and a mini tripod strapped to a mic stand

Basically TV quality... I mean shittyrigs indeed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJWelzL2nM0

There ya go, moving and misplaced camera angles and all. So for episode two we are making a steadycam (that last skit is hard to watch) and buying some real lights. That will be nice. We have to work on our lighting and framing of course, but any more tips for no budget people like me are always welcome. Eventually I'd like to move on to renting a camera when I get a better grasp of filming.

An Ounce of Gold fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Jul 18, 2014

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

I'm not into the content at all but this is a good example of how far you can go with no budget and a cell phone camera.

Don't buy things until you need to.

ReverendHammer
Feb 12, 2003

BARTHOLOMEW THEODOSUS IS NOT AMUSED

Tiresias posted:

I guess what I'm trying to say is: if you want it, go get it. Won't be easy, and there is no clear path on how to get there, but the longer you try, the better it gets. Be open, be humble, acknowledge your weaknesses AND your strengths, and work every day to bring your passion (and a smile) to everything you do.

Considering I just had a project hit all of the dead ends, this is something I have to keep reminding myself of. Thankfully I have other projects to work on.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP
Any recommendations for 24p camcorders to record a video podcast? I'm used to using DSLRs, but can't really use those for this since I need to be able to record up to 2 hours at a time. As far as light, the room is fairly dark but I can use CFL's in white umbrella stands to light the guests, and by doing that I can get the light up to about 2.8 on their faces at a 50 shutter speed. I need to keep the price low because I'll need to buy three camcorders, one for each person on the show.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

I think the FS100 went on sale, it's $2500 now and is a great low light/nig sensor camcorder.

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

It is no sign of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

codyclarke posted:

Any recommendations for 24p camcorders to record a video podcast? I'm used to using DSLRs, but can't really use those for this since I need to be able to record up to 2 hours at a time. As far as light, the room is fairly dark but I can use CFL's in white umbrella stands to light the guests, and by doing that I can get the light up to about 2.8 on their faces at a 50 shutter speed. I need to keep the price low because I'll need to buy three camcorders, one for each person on the show.

The Panasonic GH2 and up do continuous recording in camera in a DSLR-like form factor.

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
Speaking of lovely rigs. We mounted a fig rig with zip ties onto a basketball net and made a hap-hazard jib. It worked pretty well. Three 12-14 hour days in a row and I am dead, luckily our cast and crew were troopers. Any one shot anything narrative on the BMCC? It may have some drawbacks and quirks but its a great camera for visuals.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
I actually just came back from a student exhibition I'm on the panel for and one of the projects was done on a BMCC. Another was shot on an F3, and the rest on DSLR. Unsurprisingly, the two non-DSLR productions were the worst of the bunch. Not the camera's fault by any means, but it's funny how that always seems to work out. There's at least one "my parents bought me a big camera now I'm a DP" twerp every year, and the poo poo they make is always so bad. I could never be a teacher.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It's worse now with kickstarter. People are raising $5,000 or more for their senior film and put out some nonsensical garbage. One dude had a kickass kickstarter campaign(because his DP made it and knows what the gently caress he's doing) and hired some SAG actors and was being shot on a Red One, but was completely lazy on scheduling and kept having delays until one day the hard drive with all the footage on it failed. Yes, THE hard drive, as in the only loving one he decided to use for his project that was almost entirely funded by the public. I don't know if he ever actually graduated.

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
We are publicly raising funds for our film. But we made sure to have a year of pre-production before we actually did it. I think with the independent industry a couple of things happened that has shaped young film makers. Producers and production companies don't have to take a blind chance on film makers anymore, now that everything is accessible the material is brought to them. Because of this a lot of independent sets and productions are incredibly low budget and it really hampers high concept ideas. But it works now that the millennial bread and butter is more of a lost generation wondering through life ala girls. What I am saying is I wish there was more high concept independent material out there. But yes just graduating film school I have seen those nonsensical deep films, film students don't have fun they have to take everything so seriously from what I have seen. Some one in my last year of film school spent 12 000 on their thesis film and forgot to edit out the steadicam operators footsteps on a gravel path.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
edit: there was a rant here. I hate watching student film and needed to bitch.

Slim Killington fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Jul 30, 2014

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

I have been reading short scripts lately. So many short scripts.

Someday someone will write the uber-short. A hitman will pursue a drug addicted prostitute and a crazy homeless man, then after chatting with them about nothing in a diner for several pages he will hilariously fail to commit suicide.

First rule of screenwriting success: don't be poo poo.

EDIT: I forgot the rape. Hey, notice how more than half of these ideas would be offensive even if they weren't cliche?

Chitin fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Jul 30, 2014

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

Chitin posted:

The Panasonic GH2 and up do continuous recording in camera in a DSLR-like form factor.

It can? I really haven't been pushing mine hard enough then. That's fantastic news!

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Record time limits on most cameras(lol canon) come down to European taxation rules rather than camera limitations. 29 minute max for 'nonprofessional cameras' or some nonsense like that, so it depends how cheap the developer wants to make their camera.

Slim Pickens fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Jul 30, 2014

A smug sociopath
Feb 13, 2012

Unironically alpha.

Death By The Blues posted:

Any one shot anything narrative on the BMCC? It may have some drawbacks and quirks but its a great camera for visuals.

I shot a feature film this summer with the BMCC 2,5K. I had shot a few music videos and a short film with it prior to that. I started out really disliking the camera, mostly for the lack of overlays and curves, and also because of having to ND everything, all the time. However, as much as it was occasionally unfun to work with, seeing the images in Resolve always made it worth it. So pretty.
The camera kinda grew to me during the long shoot, and it worked like a champ even through the longer 15-hour days of shoot. Not a single problem.

Also yeah gently caress student films. Every spring there's a showing of our local film school at the city I live in and I've yet to see anything worthwhile there.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR

Chitin posted:

then after chatting with them about nothing in a diner for several pages

Just want to point out that this is 99% of what's making independent and student films lovely. "Character-driven" is just another word for nothing loving happens. Pages of dialogue are awful to watch. Nobody gives a poo poo. Make something happen.

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

Slim Killington posted:

Just want to point out that this is 99% of what's making independent and student films lovely. "Character-driven" is just another word for nothing loving happens. Pages of dialogue are awful to watch. Nobody gives a poo poo. Make something happen.

Exactly. Every time I see a log line like "(Drama) Two normal dudes sit in a diner and discuss their love lives. 10 pages." I want to email the writer and ask why they wrote a movie instead of a blog post. In a movie people move. It's in the name.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Well you see Quentin Tarantino is a great influence for me as an artist and

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

Slim Pickens posted:

Of course! Why didn't I see it before?! The correct treatment of this script is a ten minute long circular dolly shot of two dudes!

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

I hate shorts like that because people are really bad at acting in those, whether it be through lack of skill or because of the writer's awful voice and dialogue infecting the entire script.

Basically if I ever do a short anything on my own dime there will be no dialogue because you just can't expect to get good poo poo on a shoestring budget.

Speaking of shoestring budgets (kind of sort of not really) here's a shoot my friend did a few months ago, I merely did some of the early assembly cuts:

https://vimeo.com/100437145

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR

Slim Pickens posted:

Dude, trigger warning

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011
Dialogue works if it leads to something or progresses a plot. One student films plot and climax was trying to make some one cry over the opening of UP. That was it. This was like their 3rd or 4th year film and they shot this on the Red. Just have some fun or well do something interesting.