Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!

natetimm posted:

Pretty awesome that the intro to the game crashes in the same spot every time so hard that I can't even force quit it and have to restart my comp. Even better I can't skip it.

The game is going to try to force you to watch the intro on first run. You can force the game to skip the intro by opening up Firefall.ini in the SteamApps\common\Firefall folder and adding the following:

code:
[UI]
PlayIntroMovie= 0; 0=off, 1=on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

Geburan posted:

I play very sporadically at odd hours. What is a good setup for solo PvE that can jump in and out of groups fairly well? Any specific frames I should focus on unlocking? I'm not sure I'll play enough to justify dropping $20 for an LGV yet, but I have an infinite glider from Beta, so yay.

I'd say Recluse or any of the Dreads even though I have only played Mammoth and Arsenal post launch, the other two should do fine as well.

texasmed
May 27, 2004

Geburan posted:

I play very sporadically at odd hours. What is a good setup for solo PvE that can jump in and out of groups fairly well? Any specific frames I should focus on unlocking? I'm not sure I'll play enough to justify dropping $20 for an LGV yet, but I have an infinite glider from Beta, so yay.

Accord Engineer is a great basic frame that can solo all the way through the game. I was able to do several of the campaign missions solo as soon as I unlocked them with it. The supply pad is also helpful to groups to save on ammo consumables.

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!
Ah, there's the launch day downtime.

And, I get to have fun with support. Yaaay! I hope it's as fruitful as every other time I've had to talk to them. Clicking buy on the pilot token vendor once I had 127 items in my inventory (255 are unlocked) led to no UI feedback, not a button visual, not a sound, pilot token total stayed the same. Relog, no modules, pilot tokens were deducted. I'm so smart, I now have 6-7 damaging modules and 2-4 misc modules in the digital vapor.

:argh: completely predictable launch day issues!

Gammon
Aug 20, 2003
Cliff Yablonski Hates Me

Lemon King posted:

You can change that in the firefall.ini located in: Steam/SteamApps/common/Firefall
Add
code:
[FilePaths]
WritePath= "<drive>:/path/to/cache/folder"

How can we tell where it stores textures by default? It doesn't seem to be filling up my C: drive, and I'd hate to think I'm using up repeated bandwidth each day I play on downloading textures over and over again.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

texasmed posted:

Accord Engineer is a great basic frame

I'm sorry but this is just completely wrong. Good on you for soloing the story mission but you'd have to be some kind of brain dead slug creature to fail those so it's not very telling. All turrets have been nerfed to poo poo even though they do decent damage they can't take a hit and I mean that literally. There are a decent number of enemies who will just take out any turret in one hit at level and those aren't all just elites and bosses. If you're a Bastion with sentinel pod yeah, they do a bit better, especially against bugs and other stuff that has to get close to hit but if you're fighting ranged enemies and two or more of them with anything bigger than an assault rifle shoot the same turret it's pretty much toast no matter what you do.

But of course as the basic Engineer you don't even have the sentinel pod and repairing nanites are crap so you're either sitting around repairing your turret with your main gun constantly or you won't see much uptime on it. Meaning you're essentially taking yourself or your main gimmick out of the fight and at that point you're just better off playing any other frame like the Recluse that farts poison clouds everywhere and heals itself while doing so or any of the Dreads with a high health pool, some good survivability skills and a weapon you only have to reload once every blue moon or any of the Assault frames with a quirky yet functional main gun and good utility or a Recon frame with the R36, probably the best gun in the game right now and other cool fun gimmicks.

What I'm getting at relying on turrets right now is pretty much an exercise in frustration and any other frame will outperform you. For soloing the high survivability and ease of use of a Dread or the insane DPS and self heal of a Recluse just can't be beat.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Where are these "story missions"? The tutorial only told me where the job board is.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!

Tunga posted:

Where are these "story missions"? The tutorial only told me where the job board is.

You can hit L to see your storyline ledger. Different ones become available at different levels up until 24 with BWA.

In other news, I had a good time running around with some goons doing jobs, ARES missions, BWA, and other random fuckery until we took down a tornado and found out the login server was down. Welp. Pubbies breaking poo poo. At least R5 is aware of the issue and had the decency to take down the forums too. That allowed me to stop trying to log in and get some work done for a change.

We'll see what tomorrow holds.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Mr Scumbag posted:

Pretty simple question that unless I'm having specific hardware issues has probably been asked already but is not covered in the OP: How do I make this game not look like utter rear end? It looks like they ripped their textures out of a game from 1998.
Firefall has something crazy like over 60 GB of textures on the cloud. As you play the game, it downloads higher quality versions of the textures and stores it in a texture cache. If you were to stop and stare at an object, you will see the texture resolution start to increase. It is almost like watching textures streaming in while playing an id tech 5 game.

If you go to the Options menu and go to Network > Advanced, you can set your texture streaming options. You can adjust what quality textures to download and how much bandwidth to use to stream the textures.

I think one of Red5's biggest mistakes with launch was not including high quality textures for the starting areas. All the reviewers and new players are seeing the default low quality textures and don't realize that the higher quality textures are streaming in over time. Heck, it is entirely possible that the launch day server issues are affecting the texture streaming servers so people aren't getting the higher quality versions. Has anybody tested this recently to see if staring at an object causes the game to download the high quality textures?

Aendeis
Aug 19, 2013

No wonder the textures looked like poo poo. Now it all makes sense. 60GB of high res textures holy poo poo.

mystic pimp
Jul 25, 2014

Formerly-rampant human-coded AI with a sense of humor seeks bipedal oxygen-breathing cyborg for serious relationship in the galactic core. I've got cool guns if you like to break stuff. No yuppies.

Gammon posted:

How can we tell where it stores textures by default? It doesn't seem to be filling up my C: drive, and I'd hate to think I'm using up repeated bandwidth each day I play on downloading textures over and over again.
It looks like the cache is in C:\Users\[username]\AppData\Local\Red 5 Studios by default.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan

Nalin posted:

Firefall has something crazy like over 60 GB of textures on the cloud. As you play the game, it downloads higher quality versions of the textures and stores it in a texture cache. If you were to stop and stare at an object, you will see the texture resolution start to increase. It is almost like watching textures streaming in while playing an id tech 5 game.

If you go to the Options menu and go to Network > Advanced, you can set your texture streaming options. You can adjust what quality textures to download and how much bandwidth to use to stream the textures.

I think one of Red5's biggest mistakes with launch was not including high quality textures for the starting areas. All the reviewers and new players are seeing the default low quality textures and don't realize that the higher quality textures are streaming in over time. Heck, it is entirely possible that the launch day server issues are affecting the texture streaming servers so people aren't getting the higher quality versions. Has anybody tested this recently to see if staring at an object causes the game to download the high quality textures?

Thanks!

Weirdly, this is the second time this week and ever I've had to deal with texture streaming in a game. The other game being Dungeon Defenders Eternity. Texture streaming in DDE was broken for me for a while, so I'd say it's quite possible it's broken for some people in Firefall, too.

So what gives? Why the hell are developers going for streaming now? I'm sure a great many gamers would rather just download the whole game so they don't have to worry about it. I guess they're trying to save on bandwidth costs? Still doesn't make me feel better as a consumer.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm guessing the login servers are hosed right now. First time I try to log in I get an error, and if I try again the game just freezes and I have to force close it.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
Yeah. I've been keeping an eye on the official forums and they're still down too. I figured I'd go stalk their FB feed instead and found some good news. Not only are they still working on all the servers, but someone asked about army caps and they said this about 20 minutes ago:

"Firefall - We have announced we're looking to raise the army cap to 500 in the near future. We're also discussing revamping the army UI to be more in line with the rest of our current UI and more informative."

That'd be nice. I hope it comes sooner than later. I also hope they get the servers ironed out soon.

Edit: They're back up.

Inimicul fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Jul 30, 2014

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

So is there no way to trade items with my friends? We try the mail system, but it just says we can't for whatever reason.

Sylver
Jan 27, 2014

I'm trying to think, but nothing happens..
Firefall's random mission generation seems to like putting my mission objectives in the middle of deep rivers.

I needed a bath anyway.

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits

Ass_Burgerer posted:

So is there no way to trade items with my friends? We try the mail system, but it just says we can't for whatever reason.

You can't cause it's temporarily disabled as items were sometimes lost when send via the ingame mail from player to player. Once that is fixed you'll be able to get all the stuff you want from your inventory to your buddies mailbox... and I'll be finally able to empty my inventory and make some goons happy with some random unlocks I aquired during my CBT time.

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.
Man, standing idle in a town with the Merch pet out while you do things AFK and check in periodically to see how many people are freaking out over it never gets old.

Chat with your dad forever.

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits
I just like droping my Tiki Torch near the crafting area of the Hubs. Never gets old. :unsmith:

FunkyFlashman
May 10, 2013
I just downloaded this and this game doesn't even let me make an account. I get the super helpful message of "unknown error" Yay.

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

im nt posting wif a mark on my head

FunkyFlashman posted:

I just downloaded this and this game doesn't even let me make an account. I get the super helpful message of "unknown error" Yay.

Try making an account on the official site.

Aendeis
Aug 19, 2013

The only thing I am missing so far from the old Firefall is the random world events. There are only a very few of them now, would love to see them back in.
I loved exploring and doing the events, seems we are kinda forced now to do these ARES missions.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I seem to recall that some of them are just temporarily disabled right now. They're still in the game, just turned off for right now due to a problem.

Aendeis
Aug 19, 2013

CLAM DOWN posted:

I seem to recall that some of them are just temporarily disabled right now. They're still in the game, just turned off for right now due to a problem.

Ah sweet! Cant wait until they turn them back on.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Inimicul posted:

You can hit L to see your storyline ledger. Different ones become available at different levels up until 24 with BWA.
It says I have to be a higher level. Problem is, I'm level six and I'm already bored and can't be bothered to do the job board mission. Travel times are tedious, the game is far too dark at night, and combat is repetitive. At what level does some variety show up?

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
I deleted my streaming texture cache, set my in-game textures to high, and increased my texture streaming bandwidth. I then started to stare at walls. No change in texture quality. So yeah, it looks like texture streaming is broken. No wonder reviewers are complaining about bad texture quality.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!

Feindfeuer posted:

You can't cause it's temporarily disabled as items were sometimes lost when send via the ingame mail from player to player. Once that is fixed you'll be able to get all the stuff you want from your inventory to your buddies mailbox... and I'll be finally able to empty my inventory and make some goons happy with some random unlocks I aquired during my CBT time.

It's not disabled. It's been turned on for a few days now. The thing that people keep forgetting is that the person has to have been on your friends list for 3+ days as a kick in the pants to gold farmers.

I know, it doesn't say that in game. It's been in the patch notes, various posts in the forums, discussed at length during FFL, but doesn't show up anywhere in game yet. It'll be put in sooner or later but they have bigger fish to try right now.

Atherys posted:

The only thing I am missing so far from the old Firefall is the random world events. There are only a very few of them now, would love to see them back in.
I loved exploring and doing the events, seems we are kinda forced now to do these ARES missions.

As of a few days ago they said they found a bottleneck that's keeping as many events from spawning as they would like and thought they had a fix but are taking another look at it.

Tunga posted:

It says I have to be a higher level. Problem is, I'm level six and I'm already bored and can't be bothered to do the job board mission. Travel times are tedious, the game is far too dark at night, and combat is repetitive. At what level does some variety show up?

Level 1. All the things people have mentioned are out there already. Despite the new leveling system, Firefall is still a big sandbox. Turn up your gama, put on a run speed core, look around for things that you find fun. If you haven't found anything by level 6, this game may not be for you.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I didn't know the texture streaming worked like this. This is loving horrible for people with limited monthly internet bandwidth caps, like me.

Is there ANY way to download the whole cache locally and just stick it on a hard drive?

Lemon King
Oct 4, 2009

im nt posting wif a mark on my head

CLAM DOWN posted:

I didn't know the texture streaming worked like this. This is loving horrible for people with limited monthly internet bandwidth caps, like me.

Is there ANY way to download the whole cache locally and just stick it on a hard drive?

Cache is about 50gb for new eden and every new patch recreates the cache.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
Other than walk around every inch of the game, no. Once it's downloaded it stays there. That 60GB seems to be various qualities too. I've been playing for over a year on High and my cache is still less than 4GB.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Lemon King posted:

Cache is about 50gb for new eden and every new patch recreates the cache.

Inimicul posted:

Other than walk around every inch of the game, no. Once it's downloaded it stays there. That 60GB seems to be various qualities too. I've been playing for over a year on High and my cache is still less than 4GB.

Well okay, that's good, as long as I only download each texture once and it's not continually refreshing.

e: vvvv I have a very good Intel SSD, it's my monthly internet cap I'm worried about, not drive access speeds.

CLAM DOWN fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jul 30, 2014

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
A few months ago I thought it was making me redownload the textures over and over again too. I based that on being on my LGV and outrunning object draw speeds. I would constantly crash into invisible objects and watch as they slowly rendered. I thought "Those bastards are destroying my comcast imposed download cap!" but after I made a thread on the official forums with some colorful words, a very patient Phobos and some knowledgeable devs posted some info that basically said "stop using a lovely 10 year old mechanical hard drive". It just so happens that I put an SSD in one of my machines and the difference was night and day.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Is any of the crafting worth it, it all seems expensive and time consuming I would like to know if there's a worthwhile path before investing.

Also DietDrPibb going to try to join one of the Goon squads once I figure out how.

socialsecurity fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jul 30, 2014

FunkyFlashman
May 10, 2013
Thanks for the help. Works now.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

socialsecurity posted:

Is any of the crafting worth it, it all seems expensive and time consuming I would like to know if there's a worthwhile path before investing.

Also DietDrPibb going to try to join one of the Goon squads once I figure out how.
Not really at this time. You will earn more money just selling your crafting materials and buying what you need.

Inimicul posted:

Where is your 4GB texture cache directory located? I looked in C:\Users\-----\AppData\Local\red 5 studios\firefall\cache\vt and I don't have anything there. I'm trying to solve this cache issue.

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
What horrible system are they using if they have to rebuild and re-stream all the textures every time they update? I've read countless complaints about the texture streaming system and half the time the devs are saying how it will save bandwidth, now they say it's going to re-download everytime they rebuild anyway. How is that saving any bandwidth and how is the texture cache 50gb to begin with?

It reminds me of the database system they were using in early beta that caused all those issues except they didn't have the sense to nuke this before launch.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

Fina posted:

Most games that store files in AppData are storing user preferences and config files. You make it sound like it's the users fault that Firefall is the only game that saves nearly half of its sizable footprint there.
Firefall does this so it can run without requiring admin priveleges to write to its install dir. This is good software development practice, and improves the security of your system. As others have pointed out, there are still multiple ways to control the disk used.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
Well, got past the intro problem but now the game randomly locks up when playing. What is it about this program that makes it not want to be force quit?

wellwhoopdedooo
Nov 23, 2007

Pound Trooper!

natetimm posted:

Well, got past the intro problem but now the game randomly locks up when playing. What is it about this program that makes it not want to be force quit?

Your computer. Nothing in Windows 7 short of a driver should be able to disable ctrl-alt-del. Nothing should be able to hard lock it either--not even most video card/driver issues, as it can re-initialize that. Sorry if you're only hitting it on Firefall, but fact is according to OS spec, you're either dealing with a hardware problem or OS/driver bug.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

wellwhoopdedooo posted:

Your computer. Nothing in Windows 7 short of a driver should be able to disable ctrl-alt-del. Nothing should be able to hard lock it either--not even most video card/driver issues, as it can re-initialize that. Sorry if you're only hitting it on Firefall, but fact is according to OS spec, you're either dealing with a hardware problem or OS/driver bug.

It goes out to the program manager, it's just when I tell it to force quit the program it doesn't do it.

• Locked thread