Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Haters Objector posted:

Di Natale owns to a Ludlam-esque level

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

I was just trying to come up with something to justify the same emptyquote.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

webmeister posted:

Look at a (life-size) picture of Sarah Hanson-Young, then look down about a foot. This is the problem that most people apparently have with her (she is a woman)

My problem isn't that SHY is a woman, or that she's young. My problem with her is that she was the President of the Uni Adelaide Student's Association when I was there, and in a sea of self aggrandising, money wasting student politician fuckheads she managed to stand head and shoulders above the rest as the biggest waste of Oxygen on campus.

I number every box below the line in the Senate voting, and while I generally number the greens candidates very highly (top of the list last election), I number her down the bottom with the lunatics from Family First. Pointless gesture, but I do it anyway.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:
Everyone I know in their late 20s/early 30s who went to Adelaide Uni seems to really dislike her, though they've never really explained why. Were there any specific incidents or anything?

xPanda
Feb 6, 2003

Was that me or the door?

Captain Pissweak posted:

Probably thinking of Whish-Wilson.

Ah, you're right! Apologies, Di Natale.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

If I get above a 5 in my News and Politics class at uni this semester, I have Auspol and Telstra (for paying me to read ABC News for countless hours while looking busy) to thank for this. Sadly, I'm the mature aged student who's the know it all in this class, because apparently no one knew who our current and previous GG's were.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Vladimir Poutine posted:

Everyone I know in their late 20s/early 30s who went to Adelaide Uni seems to really dislike her, though they've never really explained why. Were there any specific incidents or anything?

My recollection is probably poor, but I believe in one year she managed to piss away the entire Association budget getting herself and about 20 others up to Woomera detention centre by bus, so that she could get her face on the news giving an interview in front of a relatively short lived protest. I think it nearly killed the student magazine On Dit that year on account of no funds.

She basically spent her entire time at the Uni getting in front of cameras and preparing herself for parliament, spending all the money on political nonsense and other stuff when the Student Association is supposed to be about student services, the Union is for politicking - and she could never get elected to it.

She's a born to rule twat, just happens to not be wearing a Liberal or ALP shirt for once.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Jul 30, 2014

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Gough Suppressant posted:

You think so? I reckon they are (rightly) gunshy about putting the most precarious seat in the party at the very top of the party. Losing your leader is pretty embarrassing

Bandt increased his primary and got elected in the face of liberal/labor preferencing cartel behaviour. Melbourne is a safe green seat.

(If he loses it at the next election, or basically ever, I will bawl my loving eyes out)

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

Just another fuckwit who thrives on fake moral outrage.
:derp:Waaaah the Christians are out to get me:derp:

lol abbottsgonnawin
Adding to the SHY dogpile, she's also been behind pushes at National Conference to liberalise the Greens policy platform wrt private education, private health and various other forms of handouts to the wealthy.

Or at least she has been the tip of pushes started by a certain ex-leader who will remain nameless. Also she's really petty and rude to Dear Leader Lee Rhiannon, which is an unforgivable crime.

SA's not all bad, though, I talked to Mark Parnell at NC the other weekend and he's super chill. You guys should make him your Senate candidate.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Quantum Mechanic posted:

Or at least she has been the tip of pushes started by a certain ex-leader who will remain nameless.
Dangit

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Lizard Combatant posted:

Is the Morrison interview worth iviewing?

Watch it, and marvel in the fact that the Member for Cronulla is the Immigration Minister and our Immigration policy is literally "browns go away"

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Those On My Left posted:

Bandt increased his primary and got elected in the face of liberal/labor preferencing cartel behaviour. Melbourne is a safe green seat.

(If he loses it at the next election, or basically ever, I will bawl my loving eyes out)
The Liberals pulling ahead of Labor on primaries would really lock it in; otherwise with the Libs preferencing Labor it could still be kinda dicey for a bit.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

http://www.theguardian.com/education/2014/jul/30/australias-top-eight-universities-push-for-higher-fees-fewer-students

quote:

Australia’s prestigious Group of Eight (Go8) universities are likely to reduce the number of people they enrol while increasing fees for each student after deregulation, a key backer of the reforms has predicted.

Ian Young, vice chancellor of the Australian National University (ANU) and chairman of the Go8, argued this downsizing would be good news for the non-Go8 universities as it would “free up” more capable students to attend other institutions – “a trickle-down or a flow-across effect”.

In an address to the National Press Club in Canberra on Wednesday, Young argued the case for removing tuition fee caps for domestic undergraduate students.

He conceded the Abbott government’s higher education package – including fee deregulation, a reduction in the average commonwealth contribution to course costs, and higher interest rates on student debt from 2016 – was unlikely to pass the Senate in its current form.

But he described deregulation as the “holy grail”, saying it was a “game changer” that would allow universities to identify their strengths and pursue excellence, and urged senators to accept compromises that may include changes to the debt and commonwealth subsidy proposals.

Young’s speech was aimed at bolstering public support for deregulation, a proposal backed by just 17% of people in an Essential poll taken just after the budget in May (compared with opposition of 58%). Labor, the Greens and the Palmer United Party – which have the numbers to combine in the Senate to block legislation – have raised serious concerns about fees rising to unacceptably high levels and deterring disadvantaged students from pursuing university courses.

Young pitched deregulation as an opportunity to allow universities to differentiate and “play to their strengths”. The system must change because per-student government funding had decreased by 14% in real terms since 1996, he argued.

“We have created a perverse incentive that rewards universities for enrolling as many students as possible and teaching them as cheaply as possible – that’s what our current system does,” Young said.

“The nature of our university system forces us to be average. We have very few terrible universities, but we have no truly outstanding universities.”

Lobbying for the deregulation of fees has been spearheaded by the Go8, which includes the ANU, Monash and the universities of Melbourne, Sydney, New South Wales, Queensland, Adelaide and Western Australia.

Education experts have predicted that the Go8 universities will be able to increase their fees the most as a result of their prestige, and regional and smaller universities will have access to comparatively less funding. The sector is divided on the higher education reforms and many vice chancellors have raised concerns.

During the question-and-answer session, Young confirmed that Go8 universities were likely to downsize over time, although ANU was the smallest in the group and was not looking to cut its enrolments.

“It’s not surprising that when I look around the Australian sector, if I look at University of Queensland, NSW, Sydney, Melbourne and Monash are all up at 40,000 [students] and above and this is huge by world standards,” he said.

“I can’t speak for all of my Group of Eight colleagues, but certainly [of] those I’ve spoken to, none of them see that as a desirable outcome,
and so I suspect what you would see, at least a couple of them have told me this, that their desire would be in a deregulated market to be able to increase the dollars per student, but to start to decrease the size of their institutions.

“In a sense, if you’re not a Group of Eight university that should be good news, because what it means is it’s going to free up in the future more capable students for other institutions. I think there will be a trickle-down or a flow-across effect as a result of that and I think that will be good for the quality of education we provide and indeed for the quality of research we provide.”

Downsizing was “never easy”, he said, but would not happen overnight. He played down the potential for workforce industrial problems, saying the big Go8 universities were likely to pursue the strategy by natural attrition.

Young said non-Go8 universities were “often much more nimble” and were likely to pursue innovative approaches, including strengthening online education. Some universities would decide it was not viable or sensible “to try and pretend to be a comprehensive research university”.

Young called on senators to “give universities the freedom to be brilliant” but said they should “find some sensible compromises” on other elements of the package expected to be presented to parliament in the spring sittings.

He urged the government to “reconsider the impact of charging a real rate of interest” on debts under the system commonly known as the Higher Education Contribution Scheme (Hecs).

The government plans to stop indexing the loans in line with inflation and instead switch to interest at the 10-year bond rate, up to a cap of 6%. The budget decision has fuelled concerns that compounding interest would drive up total repayments over a graduate’s lifetime, with lower-income earners and parents who take time out of the workforce likely to be particularly affected.

The architect of Hecs, Bruce Chapman, has proposed an alternative whereby the higher interest rate applied only when graduates were earning above the threshold for repayments. Another option proposed by Chapman was to apply a one-off 25% surcharge on each graduate’s loan and then continue the existing system of indexation by the consumer price index.

Young also called on the Coalition to reconsider its plan to cut by 20% the average government contribution to tuition costs under the commonwealth grants scheme, but did not nominate an alternative figure.

He said the government’s package included two “very socially progressive elements” that had received less attention, including the requirement for universities to put aside 20% of any extra fee revenue for scholarships for disadvantaged students. Young said the extension of government funding to “pathway programs” such as sub-bachelor degrees would help prepare graduates from poorer high schools so they could achieve their “true potential” in further study.

Cpt Soban
Jul 23, 2011

webmeister posted:

Watch it, and marvel in the fact that the Member for Cronulla is the Immigration Minister and our Immigration policy is literally "browns go away"

I hear to win the Cronulla seat, you need to wear the AUSSIE flag as a cape and shout racist slogans.

Foreman Domai
Apr 2, 2010

"In one dimension I find existence, in two I find life, but in three, I find freedom."

Quantum Mechanic posted:

SA's not all bad, though, I talked to Mark Parnell at NC the other weekend and he's super chill. You guys should make him your Senate candidate Premier.

ftfy

Seriously though, Mark Parnell and Penny Wright are indeed awesome.

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip

Finally, we can go back to nepotism.

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Jonah Galtberg posted:

He said the government’s package included two “very socially progressive elements” that had received less attention, including the requirement for universities to put aside 20% of any extra fee revenue for scholarships for disadvantaged students. Young said the extension of government funding to “pathway programs” such as sub-bachelor degrees would help prepare graduates from poorer high schools so they could achieve their “true potential” in further study.

Offering poors a tertiary education that wouldn't be classified as a degree is very progressive... Yes, more funding for TAFE-style education is great but wording it like a gateway drug for a more desirable, expensive education is just hosed up. 'The poor' can't achieve their true potential if they can't afford to go on to study the 'real' degree you shitlord.

Smegmatron
Apr 23, 2003

I hate to advocate emptyquoting or shitposting to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
We need more people in TAFE getting the kinds of education TAFE provides. The problem is that everybody thinks TAFE is a consolation prize for people who couldn't get into uni and don't respect it, so you get people running off to uni to get a bachelors they barely care about and creating degree inflation.

TAFE needs a massive funding boost and people need to stop talking poo poo about it. It is/was a brilliant institution.

Nuclear Spy
Jun 10, 2008

feeling under?
10 months into their parliamentary term, the Abbott Government has passed 103 legislation bills

In comparison:
Number of bills passed (total):

41st Parliament (John Howard): 549
42nd Parliament (Kevin Rudd): 409
43rd Parliament (Julia Gillard): 566

After 260 days...

41st Parliament (John Howard): 15/11/04 - 2/8/05: 180
42nd Parliament (Kevin Rudd): 11/2/08 - 28/10/08: 153
43rd Parliament (Julia Gillard/Kevin Rudd): 27/9/10 to 14/6/11: 163
44th Parliament (Tony Abbott): 11/11/13 - 30/7/14: 103

EDIT: Thought it was a lot less...

Nuclear Spy fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Jul 30, 2014

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

Am I hallucinating, or did the 43rd (previous) parliament pass 193 bills in their first 10 months?

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Tony's more of a ideas guy, he thinks about 'the big picture'.

Trust me, its better this way. You don't want him actually realising any of them.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Nuclear Spy posted:

10 months into their parliamentary term, the Abbott Government has passed 103 legislation bills

In comparison:
Number of bills passed (total):

41st Parliament (John Howard): 549
42nd Parliament (Kevin Rudd): 409
43rd Parliament (Julia Gillard): 566

After 260 days...

41st Parliament (John Howard): 15/11/04 - 2/8/05: 180
42nd Parliament (Kevin Rudd): 11/2/08 - 28/10/08: 153
43rd Parliament (Julia Gillard/Kevin Rudd): 27/9/10 to 14/6/11: 163
44th Parliament (Tony Abbott): 11/11/13 - 30/7/14: 103

EDIT: Thought it was a lot less...

You didn't tick royal assent did you?

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

This is loving disgusting. How is this not going to result in an enormous gap between rich and poor institutions?

Edit - oh yeah, it wont matter because the education will trickle down or whatever.

Nuclear Spy
Jun 10, 2008

feeling under?

Jumpingmanjim posted:

You didn't tick royal assent did you?
Yeah, that changed the numbers quite a bit. After some discussion on IRCpol, it is quite difficult to get a true representation based on bundling of bills and other factors. Still, interesting to see how the rough numbers compare...

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Trickle down education, huh.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Those On My Left posted:

I've seen Bandt at quite a few events at the housing estates in the area (including a few small ones like a small anti-domestic violence lunch that only got a dozen or so people attending) and he's always been very friendly, and good at taking to everyone and taking questions without giving BS responses. Offered some support for a project I was working on as well which was great. Can't say enough good words about the man.

I'm happy with Milne, but Bandt would be an excellent choice whenever she retires (or Ludlam of course).

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please
So the thing our eduction minster said would not happen has happened?

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

Nibbles141 posted:

So the thing our eduction minster said would not happen has happened?

Can anyone dig up specific quotes on this?

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

Mad Katter posted:

Can anyone dig up specific quotes on this?

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-06-01/christopher-pyne-says-university-deregulation-force-fees-down/5492218 posted:

"I'm not going to respond to the different statements or claims being made by particular vice-chancellors because at the end of the day, I think competition will drive prices down and students will be the winner in terms of quality and price."

that sort of thing?

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

Just another fuckwit who thrives on fake moral outrage.
:derp:Waaaah the Christians are out to get me:derp:

lol abbottsgonnawin

dr_rat posted:

I've seen Bandt at quite a few events at the housing estates in the area (including a few small ones like a small anti-domestic violence lunch that only got a dozen or so people attending) and he's always been very friendly, and good at taking to everyone and taking questions without giving BS responses.

It might be different in person, but in broadcast media Adam has the occasional bad habit of dodging questions with rehearsed boilerplate.

He's still literally the best member of the House, though, it's a minor sin.

duck monster
Dec 15, 2004

Gorilla Salad posted:

I agree saving whales is a noble goal, doesn't make the Sea Shepherds any less a pack of utter fuckwits, though.

Considering I know a sizeable percentage of their crew and they are some of the most passionate, honest and generally righteous people I know,, what exactly did they do that makes you think they are "utter fuckwits"? Specificity please.

Incidently all the ones I know are also pretty involved in refugee rights. Just so we're clear that putting those two goals in opposition is weird.

duck monster fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jul 30, 2014

in the miso soup
Aug 16, 2013

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Mad Katter posted:

This is loving disgusting. How is this not going to result in an enormous gap between rich and poor institutions?

Edit - oh yeah, it wont matter because the education will trickle down or whatever.

It will fundamentally change the way employment works in Australia. "Networking" a.k.a a university's Old Boys network will became as important as grades and experience when it comes to getting a job after graduation. What's that? You have excellent grades and went to a regional university because you couldn't afford a go8 or live too far away? No, no. Surely it's because you're an illiterate peasant.

xutech
Mar 4, 2011

EIIST

I'm loving all this Liberal blue sky thinking policy on the fly poo poo.

Are they going to announce compulsory conscription next?

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

xutech posted:

They're keeping that for when Abbott decides to send troops to Russia. In December.

Ol Sweepy
Nov 28, 2005

Safety First

xutech posted:

Fly for the dole
Shoot for the dole
Crash for the dole
Die for the dole

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
When has the word "trickle down" ever meant a good thing? By now that phrase should be the most obvious trigger word for class warfare and yet no News story will report on it at 6pm as "Our education in Danger".

Seagull
Oct 9, 2012

give me a chip
The news is owned by tory fucks, hth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShoeFly
Dec 28, 2006

Waiter, there's a fly in my shoe!

xutech posted:

That's what Jacqui Lambie has suggested instead of work for the dole.

• Locked thread