Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
So I read the new Hawkguy with my partially-deaf wife. She drat near cried. It was delightful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
My LCS finally got a shipment of Ms. Marvel... #6! Now I only have to wait for them to get #5. :shepicide:

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

How is Uncanny X-Men? It's been a while since I've taken on the X-Men, but the cover for Uncanny #24 kind of caught my eye for some reason and made me wonder how the series was doing. Not particularly in a risk-taking mood though.

Neo_Reloaded
Feb 27, 2004
Something from Nothing

Evil Sagan posted:

How is Uncanny X-Men? It's been a while since I've taken on the X-Men, but the cover for Uncanny #24 kind of caught my eye for some reason and made me wonder how the series was doing. Not particularly in a risk-taking mood though.

It's a total mess in my opinion. All characters are written as snarky teenagers, which does not fit for well-established characters like Cyclops, Emma, Magick, Magneto, etc. The plotting is also nonsensical, even by Bendis standards. There is a solid 10-issue stretch where nothing of note happens - there are larger plot elements supposedly in-progress, but no issue advances them in any meaningful way. Then everything randomly comes to a head all at once in a manner that manages to be simultaneously disappointing in terms of theme, character arcs, and just plain old logic.

And this is coming from someone who is a lifetime X-Men fan, is much more interested in Cyclop's side of the world than Wolverine's, and hadn't read Bendis's prior Avengers run so wasn't already sick of him.

All-New X-Men is a small step above Uncanny, but the current X-titles I'd actually recommend are X-Force and Uncanny Avengers (feels like a continuation of the plots and more importantly themes of Remender's Uncanny X-Force, which is a definite must-read).

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I read the latest Hawkeye, and it is good stuff.

I have to admit I fell off the bandwagon after the second trade, and was not really following the Kate story. I do know at least that Clint finally put it together that the old lady was helping the tracksuit mafia, and got deafened for his troubles.

So I see the book is ending, which is good. Hopefully it is ending the way Fraction wants it to end, but on the other hand I am glad to see shoes finally dropping on the Clint plotline.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

I'm just excited to see how "everyone" the call to Jess is. I kinda wanna see Iron Man just go sick house on those guys.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Evil Sagan posted:

Yeah, even as someone who's generally liked ANXM, Uncanny has always been very erratic and it's gotten way worse. It just seems like one big build up to something important happening, but nothing ever happens.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Yikes; sounds rough. Thanks for clueing me in.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Defiance Industries posted:

I'm just excited to see how "everyone" the call to Jess is. I kinda wanna see Iron Man just go sick house on those guys.

I was thinking "everyone" means all of Clint's ladies.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

twistedmentat posted:

I was thinking "everyone" means all of Clint's ladies.

Maybe also Spider-man and Wolverine since they have appeared in the book.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

bobkatt013 posted:

Wolverine's final battle before dying: russian guy in a tracksuit.

ANGR was great, too, that ending got a big smile on my face :allears:

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

bobkatt013 posted:

That's why I included Iron Man. Tony set up Clint's TV once.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Hawkeye 19 might be the best comic book I have ever read. What an issue. Is it safe to say that Fractions Hawkeye might be the definitive Hawkeye run?

SalTheBard fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jul 31, 2014

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

SalTheBard posted:

Hawkeye 19 might be the best comic book I have ever read. What an issue. Is it safe to say that Fractions Hawkeye might be the definitive Hawkeye run?

I would say so. Future Hawkeye writers will have their runs compared to his.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

It's not like Hawkeye has that many solo comics to compare it to. Like what, people are gonna compare it to that super lovely mini from a couple years back where Barney became the new Trickshot?

Kikkoman
Nov 28, 2002

Posing along since 2005
Has a translation of the sign language been published yet? I don't know how to begin to translate the signage

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Kikkoman posted:

Has a translation of the sign language been published yet? I don't know how to begin to translate the signage

http://www.reddit.com/r/comicbooks/comments/2c58pc/hawkeye_19_working_translation/

I know some sign language and reading the translations looks pretty accurate.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

It's not like Hawkeye has that many solo comics to compare it to. Like what, people are gonna compare it to that super lovely mini from a couple years back where Barney became the new Trickshot?

The Gruenwald mini is dope. But yeah, that's pretty much it.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

Lurdiak posted:

You can always see how it holds up against the 2003 series where Clint drinks Gaylord's lemonade, fucks a librarian because he can't use computers, and has to go to Laos to try and destroy a statue of Jesus so a bunch of Vietnam veterans can't ... tell the world Jesus was in Laos 2000 years ago? I'm honestly not sure why he destroyed the thing. :allears:

And then the two issues where Natasha kills a dude who runs a deli and Clint has to make a shot one-handed because Natasha, I don't know, decided to use a hyper-specific muscle relaxant on just one arm immediately before a badguy Clint needed to shoot showed up.

Now that was a definitive run if I ever saw one. The best part is Clint's terrible haircut, and also how he's drawn with, like, fuckin elf ears the whole time? And there's a panel where T'challa looks like a vampire.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

I actually have a soft spot for Hawkeye's adventures in the early issues of Solo Avengers from around 1987 but that's probably just nostalgia.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
The AV Club had a fantastic article about Hawkeye #19 today:
http://www.avclub.com/article/hawkeye-19-uses-deafness-help-broken-clint-barton--207612

I'm tradewaiting (which is more frustrating than usual on this series), but I couldn't help read the article and get blown away by Fraction and Aja all over again. My wife will be teaching a class on Critical Disability Studies this fall, and I might get her the issue to use in the class.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Lurdiak posted:

It's not like Hawkeye has that many solo comics to compare it to.

Oh, I'm sure he will have plenty after this is such a critical darling. Marvel will try to keep the Hawk-love going, but eventually they will put terrible writers on a Hawkeye book and we will all drat the monkey's paw for wishing for more Hawkeye.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

TwoPair posted:

Oh, I'm sure he will have plenty after this is such a critical darling. Marvel will try to keep the Hawk-love going, but eventually they will put terrible writers on a Hawkeye book and we will all drat the monkey's paw for wishing for more Hawkeye.

Scott Lodbell and Greg Land's Hawkeye!

Genetic Toaster
Jun 5, 2011

Denis Hopeless' Hawkeye Arena

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

JMS returns to take Hawkeye on a walk through America.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Hawkeye vs Occupy, by Frank Miller.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Metal Loaf posted:

Hawkeye vs Occupy, by Frank Miller.

Hawkupy Wall Street

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Dacap posted:

Hawkupy Wall Street

:worship: :worship: :worship:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Dacap posted:

Hawkupy Wall Street

Where do I send the check?

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Matt Fraction's Brohawk Hawkdog Brosong Bro Bro Bro Mountain Goats Lyrics Reference Metajoke v2 ft. MODOK or someone like that

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Dan Slott's Superior Hawkeye

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

Edge & Christian posted:

Matt Fraction's Brohawk Hawkdog Brosong Bro Bro Bro Mountain Goats Lyrics Reference Metajoke v2 ft. MODOK or someone like that

That's basically Kot's Secret Avengers, except replace John Darnielle with members of the Situationist International.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I'm not that familiar with Hawkeye's characterisation, but how much did Fraction change it, as opposed to just doing what was already there better?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

MikeJF posted:

I'm not that familiar with Hawkeye's characterisation, but how much did Fraction change it, as opposed to just doing what was already there better?

Hawkeye's always mostly been an outspoken, argumentative wiseass in the Avengers with some obvious self confidence issues and a deep seated sense of right and wrong. He also has a rough past and is terrible with women, so I'd say that what Fraction did was take the subtext of the character and make it the text, while toning down the other elements.

That poo poo with him shooting people in the eye during that one issue was wildly out of character, though.

Genetic Toaster
Jun 5, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

That poo poo with him shooting people in the eye during that one issue was wildly out of character, though.

That was Kate, though.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
I'm still pretty new to comics, so I'm having trouble figuring how big of a deal it is that Ms Marvel is getting its 6th reprint. On its face that sounds huge to me, but is there a general run amount that's consistent among titles? The newest Spider-Man #1 sold 500k+ it's first month on one printing, and I'm sure that's a special case, but do #1's usually have something like 50k runs or does it vary by publisher/title?

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

zelah posted:

I'm still pretty new to comics, so I'm having trouble figuring how big of a deal it is that Ms Marvel is getting its 6th reprint. On its face that sounds huge to me, but is there a general run amount that's consistent among titles? The newest Spider-Man #1 sold 500k+ it's first month on one printing, and I'm sure that's a special case, but do #1's usually have something like 50k runs or does it vary by publisher/title?
It's completely variable. According to the sales estimates at Comichron the first printing of the first issue sold around 50,000 copies, which is pretty impressive for the launch of a non-marquee (never mind non-white-male-who's-been-around-for-decades) book in 2014. The following month they record an additional 7,000 copies sold, then 5,400 the next month, then 3,400, then 2,800. These may not be exactly aligned to each printing, but is probably reflective of approximately how big most second/etc. printings are.

This is still impressive, but to answer the broader question, there is no set amount for a given print run, they're based almost entirely on orders from comic shops in the case of Marvel, and while other companies sometimes overprint something, they're still variable numbers.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Genetic Toaster posted:

That was Kate, though.

Counterpoint, Kate owns.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

zelah posted:

The big deal isn't in the units sold, but that the character is pulling in new readers. I had a lady friend over the other night that doesn't read comics, but asked me if I heard about the new Ms. Marvel, and gushed as she flipped through the issues I gave her. Told her to keep them, and pass them to the next person that might enjoy them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zooted heh
Oct 16, 2005

str8 mercin burgers my nigga
I love how vol 2 of savage wolverine has nothing to do with issues 1-5. :rolleyes:

why is there a story about him waking up on a unknown planet when thats exactly what happens in 1-5 when he wakes up in savage land?

• Locked thread