Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SexyPatTO
Jul 1, 2014

PuTTY riot posted:

Any suggestions for transitioning from a sippy to regular cup for a 2 year old?

We have just now fully transitioned at 2 yrs 7.5 months. We actually didn't think about it much. Since he was 2 he's been able to hold a "real" cup, but there was so much spilling that we often just preferred to give him a sippy cup. But we haven't bought any new ones for a while, and they do start to get sort of grimy, and then we went to visit the grandparents for a while and just brought one sippy cup in the car and decided, on a whim, to toss it when we arrived, and now he's just drinking out of little cups. He has a charming habit of putting it directly in front of his right hand and at the absolute edge of the table, and yesterday he was putting his feet on the table ("DON'T PUT YOUR FEET ON THE TABLE") and knocked the cup over, but at least he now fully understands that spilling is annoying. And most of the time he does not spill. So I guess what I am saying is that it happens pretty gradually and easily, and I don't think it's something to be too dogmatic about; their motor control really does just get better each day--and there's not the same psychological dimension to deal with as their is in potty training.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
Hand, Foot, and Mouth Disease: jesus christ, this poo poo is no joke. Never have I seen a kid go so fast from normal to "Oh my god, if the doctor's office can't see him we're going to the hospital." This stuff is nasty, and contagious as all hell: first Oliver got it (0-to-full-body-rash in about six hours), then my wife got it, and a week after my son showed symptoms, now I finally have it. The doctor says it's raging through Richmond this summer. Feet and hands ache like a bad sunburn (and my hands tingle like they've fallen asleep - all morning, so far), face is breaking out like I'm 16 years old, sores on my scalp - I'm starring in my own damned plague movie.

I simply cannot fathom how Oliver managed to get any sleep at all when he had this; all I can think is that his didn't itch like mine does, otherwise he'd have scratched himself to pieces.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

It is like chicken pox... Much worse to get as an adult. My son and husband both went through it too. I was spared!

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

jackpot posted:

Hand, Foot, and Mouth Disease: jesus christ, this poo poo is no joke. Never have I seen a kid go so fast from normal to "Oh my god, if the doctor's office can't see him we're going to the hospital." This stuff is nasty, and contagious as all hell: first Oliver got it (0-to-full-body-rash in about six hours), then my wife got it, and a week after my son showed symptoms, now I finally have it. The doctor says it's raging through Richmond this summer. Feet and hands ache like a bad sunburn (and my hands tingle like they've fallen asleep - all morning, so far), face is breaking out like I'm 16 years old, sores on my scalp - I'm starring in my own damned plague movie.

I simply cannot fathom how Oliver managed to get any sleep at all when he had this; all I can think is that his didn't itch like mine does, otherwise he'd have scratched himself to pieces.

My son is currently recovering from his second bout this summer. The timing on both have been perfect - first time he came down with it while my wife took him by herself to see her father who had just been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer and was starting chemo, seconds time was right add we got to Hawaii for a friend's wedding.

The first time around he wouldn't eat or walk for 3-4 days, this time luckily he didn't seem too bothered other than not eating much. Yours sounds way worse than ours though; the first time neither of us had symptoms and this time I just have some painful blisters on my hands and feet.

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009

jackpot posted:

According to Wikipedia it's rarely itchy for children, but can be extremely itchy for adults. I'm looking more and more forward to kiddo starting kindergarten :v:

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Sockmuppet posted:

According to Wikipedia it's rarely itchy for children, but can be extremely itchy for adults. I'm looking more and more forward to kiddo starting kindergarten :v:

Won't there just be more diseases there?

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

greatn posted:

Won't there just be more diseases there?

I hope they get most of this out of their system at daycare. Any parents with kids in daycare vs. not how much do they get "real" illness vs. sniffles?

FordCQC
Dec 23, 2007

THAT'S MAMA OYRX TO YOU GUARDIAN
It was stumbled onto while looking through SpaceBattles for stuff to post in the Weird Fanart thread.
*Pat voice* Perfect

jassi007 posted:

I hope they get most of this out of their system at daycare. Any parents with kids in daycare vs. not how much do they get "real" illness vs. sniffles?

They get sick more often when they're younger in daycare, then they will be less sick once in primary school than kids who stayed at home the first 4 years or so. All of this is variable though, as each child has different constitutions.

For example, my daughter had 6 ear infections her in her first year of day care (4 months - 1 year). There was not another child out nearly as much as she was for sickness.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

FordCQC posted:

They get sick more often when they're younger in daycare, then they will be less sick once in primary school than kids who stayed at home the first 4 years or so. All of this is variable though, as each child has different constitutions.

For example, my daughter had 6 ear infections her in her first year of day care (4 months - 1 year). There was not another child out nearly as much as she was for sickness.

Right, I sort of figured that they more nasty business they picked up early the less they'd get later on. My youngest is going for tubes next week, he's had 4 ear infections this year. Turns out his ears are just full of fluid all the time.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

jassi007 posted:

My kids have been sick only rarely but they are grade-A plague carriers. I've never previously been sick half as often as after Eldest entered daycare.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Groke posted:

My kids have been sick only rarely but they are grade-A plague carriers. I've never previously been sick half as often as after Eldest entered daycare.

January, I thought I had a brain tumor. I went to my Dr. turns out I got a sinus infection. I had never had one in my life, she told me to take Advil with Sudafed, and suddenly my head didn't throb with a constant headache for the 1st time in two weeks. They are little plague rats.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL
My kids will be at different schools their entire educational career, so they are bringing home round about 1500 people worth of no hand washing and sneezes every single day, and my woman teaches in two departments, so that is another 1000 or so vectors. Between them they bring home all the plagues of egypt.

Gonna go swim in the Ganges, it might take the edge off.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<

Sockmuppet posted:

According to Wikipedia it's rarely itchy for children, but can be extremely itchy for adults.
I believe it. Because Oliver (16mos) broke out like crazy, from his feet, all up his torso, to his face, but the only thing that seemed to itch were his feet, and barely. Meanwhile my rash isn't half as bad looking as his was, and yet I laid awake half of last night fighting the urge to peel the skin off my face.

VorpalBunny
May 1, 2009

Killer Rabbit of Caerbannog

jackpot posted:

I believe it. Because Oliver (16mos) broke out like crazy, from his feet, all up his torso, to his face, but the only thing that seemed to itch were his feet, and barely. Meanwhile my rash isn't half as bad looking as his was, and yet I laid awake half of last night fighting the urge to peel the skin off my face.

My oldest got chicken pox when he was 8-months old and it didn't even bother him. I didn't even have to do oatmeal baths or anything. He just looked terrible, but he was his usual happy self. Which made it that much harder to keep him quarantined for so long.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Jasper went through Hand, Foot, and Mouth but thankfully it wasn't too bad. I thought he was getting a cold sore from his dad at first but it kept spreading. Neither of us caught it from him so I'm assuming we've already had it!

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Alterian posted:

Jasper went through Hand, Foot, and Mouth but thankfully it wasn't too bad. I thought he was getting a cold sore from his dad at first but it kept spreading. Neither of us caught it from him so I'm assuming we've already had it!

There are like a dozen different viruses that cause it, so don't assume either you or him is immune to it going forward. He's only protected from the particular virus he caught.

Awesome Kristin
May 9, 2008

yum yum yum
Could the person in charge of the Facebook group PM me here or on Facebook please? I don't remember who it is.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
There's a facebook group?

Do you have to jump me in, like a gang, or can I just join?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
When should I get a new car seat? Arthur is nearly 14 months now, 20 lbs 14 oz, and around 30" tall. So I feel like he's getting too big for his infant seat. But I'm not sure when you're supposed to move to a different seat, and all the bigger ones seem to be front facing, which I thought you weren't even supposed to do for a couple years.

Anyone have any recommendations? We've been using a Graco seat that came in an all in one kit with his stroller, and bought an extra base to switch him easily between cars. We don't mind buying two identical seats though if bigger ones don't go with bases. We don't mind switching brands either.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I got one of these and you can rear face it for a while if you want and converts all the way down to a booster seat up to 100 lbs. Its pretty narrow so it makes fitting it into a car easier.
http://www.amazon.com/Diono-RadianR100-Convertible-Seat-Stone/dp/B005MQR794

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

We are the ones we've been waiting for.

greatn posted:

When should I get a new car seat? Arthur is nearly 14 months now, 20 lbs 14 oz, and around 30" tall. So I feel like he's getting too big for his infant seat. But I'm not sure when you're supposed to move to a different seat, and all the bigger ones seem to be front facing, which I thought you weren't even supposed to do for a couple years.

Anyone have any recommendations? We've been using a Graco seat that came in an all in one kit with his stroller, and bought an extra base to switch him easily between cars. We don't mind buying two identical seats though if bigger ones don't go with bases. We don't mind switching brands either.

What are the height and weight limits on his current seat? Your manual should provide that info. To remain rear-facing after outgrowing the infant seat, you want a convertible seat. The one we have is a Britax Boulevard and is easy to install. It rear faces to 40lbs and forward faces to 70lb. My almost 4 year old is still in it rear-facing.

http://www.safercar.gov/parents/Rear.htm

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

greatn posted:

I think around 22-24lbs is when we switched to a bigger rear facing seat.

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002
We bought the Diono Radian RXT listed above and for my wife's car we have the safety 1st 65 http://www.amazon.com/Safety-1st-Guide-Convertible-Seaport/dp/B00ADHRZEY

The Diono is super tall which is good for tall babies you want to keep rear facing for a long time. The problem is this means it takes up a bunch of room so the front passenger seat in our case has to be a few notches more forward than I would like. We use the "angle adapter" which is sold separately but it still takes up a lot of room. It is also VERY heavy. This is fine if you plan on leaving it in a car and not moving it.

I do like installing it. For me and the 4 types of cars I've installed it in and an airplane it was very easy. I like that the buckles are all big and oversized. It feels robust. It has a rear facing top tether which few other seats have.

Safety 1st. This seat is our secondary seat and for me it was super hard to install rear facing the first time. I bet forward facing would be a lot easier, haven't tried that though. I had to reinstall it recently and it was much easier to do than the first time. Maybe there was a learning curve to determine where to place the rolled up towel. The buckles on it are smaller than the Diono and I personally don't like them as much.

The headrest is adjustable without having to rethread. The headwings on this one fit down for a smaller baby whereas the Diono your baby has to be tall enough to actually use the headwings.

Try installing a few in your car before you just buy based on price.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011
We have a Chicco Nextfit. It's easy enough to install that you could move it between cars if you wanted (it seriously takes under a minute to get in), but it is heavy. It's also one of the longest lasting seats on the market (it has a very high height limit) and it's one of the narrowest front-to-back. We love it.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
For the super tall Biono, can it be installed in the middle seat, to avoid getting in the way of the driver or passenger seat? Or does it need shoulder straps?

sudont
May 10, 2011
this program is useful for when you don't want to do something.

Fun Shoe
The Facebook group info was posted way back (or in the pregnancy thread, I don't remember, it was a long time ago):

Something Awful Parenting Group

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
-edit

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002

greatn posted:

For the super tall Biono, can it be installed in the middle seat, to avoid getting in the way of the driver or passenger seat? Or does it need shoulder straps?

It depends on your car. In my prius the back middle seat will effect the driver and passenger front seats. In my mom's minivan you don't even need the angle adapter. Just put it in the middle bench, middle seat and it fits right between the front seats. The Diono has superlatch or something like that where you can use the latch clips for a long time. I haven't read the manual in awhile but I think a shoulder or lap belt was fine.

I didn't try the nextfit mentioned above but I was interested in it. It was more than my wife wanted to spend on a 2nd seat though.

Awesome Kristin
May 9, 2008

yum yum yum
My daughter is going to be 6 months old on the 5th of August and we're still dealing with colic type crying every day. First she was on regular Enfamil and when she didn't grow out of the crying we switched to the Gerber purple can for colic. I forgot what it is called. We used that for a couple weeks and it just made her constipated and she was still crying from bubbles in her intestines. Two days ago we switched to Enfamil Gentlease. Her poops are back to a normal consistency but now her crying is worse than on the Gerber. The doctor said we should wait to see if anything changes after 5 days from changing formula. If nothing changes we have to discuss other options.

Has anyone gone through something like this? When I brought her in to talk about the problem the pediatrician listened to Kora's insides and did say she sounded way too gassy which is why we switched formulas. What could it be? I just feel like she should have gotten over this pain and crying by 6 months. It's killing me to see her hurting every single day and the crying is draining me.

Oh and she's gaining weight just fine. She's almost the same size as my 2 year old.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
IANAD, but we ended up mixing baby food in with the formula after a few months. All three of my kids liked it, and they slept more soundly (fuller bellies). Listen to what your doctor says, but your instincts are probably good too. Good luck: that phase of trying to figure things out while they're non-verbal is hard.

Tricerapowerbottom
Jun 16, 2008

WILL MY PONY RECOGNIZE MY VOICE IN HELL

sudont posted:

The Facebook group info was posted way back (or in the pregnancy thread, I don't remember, it was a long time ago):

Something Awful Parenting Group

About making a post to confirm I'm a real person, just my userID on my own wall is fine, or what?

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

Tricerapowerbottom posted:

About making a post to confirm I'm a real person, just my userID on my own wall is fine, or what?

Just post in there with your SA name and an email address to send the invite to. We only instituted this weird "join this group to join the other REAL group" policy after too many bots and too many confused South Australians tried to join the real group.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

Anybody have a solution for putting a gate up on these stairs? It's easy to do at the fourth step, just get a wall-to-wall gate, but I don't want to go that high - I'd rather have the gate at the 1st or 2nd step. But I'm having a hard time finding any kind of gate that's meant to attach to banisters on both sides like that. Hell, some velcro or zip ties would do it, I just can't find any that work like that.

SA secret handshake ITT. :xd:

Marchegiana
Jan 31, 2006

. . . Bitch.
This thing can be used as a baby gate in a whole bunch of shape variations- each of those 6 pieces comes apart, or can be rotated to various angles in relation to each other. You can use 3 or 4 pieces to just surround the base of the stairs. We bought one of these to block off our radiator in our apartment when my eldest was born (had I known I was going to have a baby I wouldn't have picked a vintage apartment with radiators and all-wood/tile floors) and it saw use every year after that for many years defending various dangerous places in random apartments we lived in.

right to bear karma
Feb 20, 2001

There's a Dr. Fist here to see you.
We had one in our old house that was something like this, though I don't remember what brand. Our banisters were thicker than yours, though.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

jackpot posted:

Anybody have a solution for putting a gate up on these stairs? It's easy to do at the fourth step, just get a wall-to-wall gate, but I don't want to go that high - I'd rather have the gate at the 1st or 2nd step. But I'm having a hard time finding any kind of gate that's meant to attach to banisters on both sides like that. Hell, some velcro or zip ties would do it, I just can't find any that work like that.

SA secret handshake ITT. :xd:

AlistairCookie
Apr 1, 2010

I am a Dinosaur

We had to deal with that. We did use zipties, I poo poo you not. Got some metal gates that were supposed to be screwed into the wall, and used several heavy-duty zipties to attach the sides of the gate frame to the spindles--instead of screwing them into the non-existent walls. Pulled them super tight, cut off the excess. It worked; we had gates up for...two years or so.

Just a brief non-sequitur rant: Both kids managed to burn their feet today. Don't run by the grill, don't run by the grill, Daddy is lighting coals stay away from the grill, are you barefoot?, DON'T RUN BY THE GRILL! Well. Liam steps on a small piece of hot coal that had fallen through the bottom of the chimney starter. As I'm filling a bowl with ice water for him to soak his foot, Tim does the same goddamned thing! They both have burns about the size of a quarter on the bottoms of their feet. I could tell right away they were second degree, and the kids were both shaking and screaming. :( Yeah, burns hurt (maybe listen to me and don't run by the loving grill!) Off we go to urgent care, just to be safe, since the spots were ugly (even though they were small). Two hours, $100, two bottles of cephalexin, and two donuts later, they were much better. I, on the other hand, think I sprouted a handful of new grey hairs. Some days I swear those two will be the death of me via a heart attack!

JBark
Jun 27, 2000
Good passwords are a good idea.
For attaching something to those bannisters, rubber coated p-clamps/p-clips would probably do the trick:

They hold things quite well as long as you get the right size and have everything tightened up snugly.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
My son is 19 months old, and every trip with him is utterly exhausting. It's impossible to just sit and have a meal in a restaurant because he won't stay still for even a minute. My wife and I usually end up taking it in turns to eat while the other keeps an eye on him.

We went to the mall yesterday and he just wanted to run everywhere - normally this is fine, but it was really busy and he kept getting under people's feet and nearly getting knocked over, or he would try and make a dash for the escalator and I'd have to scoop him up before he managed to get on it.

He used to be content to sit in his pushchair after running around for a while, but not anymore. He'll also kick and struggle after I pick him up, until I set him down again - at which point he'll sprint back to whatever I was trying to keep him away from before.

This is more a vent than anything else really, because I know it's just his age. He understands things like 'come here' and 'stop', but his favourite game at the moment is to say 'No' to any and all requests.

Is there anything I can do, or is it just a matter of waiting until he's older and can be reasoned with?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Backpack harness, if you can deal with people giving you dirty "They have their kid on a leash?! *nose in the air*" looks. They come in a lot of cute animal shapes, if you shop around.