Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Shavnir posted:

Can you tell me who to e-mail? I just put an address onto my profile.

Andrew Heckt on Facebook posted:

Hi all,
If you had no address in the system then email me with Subject "Foil Lands - no address" at Andy.Heckt (at) wizards.com
If you recently moved, then as the post above says, talk to your post office.
If you received damaged then
1. Send the entire pack of lands back to Andy at:
Wizards of the Coast
Attn: Andrew Heckt
PO Box 707
Renton, WA 98057-0707

2. Include an envelope with your current mailing address on it - no postage.
3. I will process that information and ship a new one out to you.

See the comment 5 previously for link to updating your address.

Include your DCI number and your updated address

@Ciprion Maricon: Dunno about the letter, but the Magic Judges FB page has confirmed all Judges are getting these.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Speaking of that Stiflechat from a few days ago, I found this comment from Worth Wollpert pretty amusing regarding the use of Stifle:

"Only card design team I've been on was Scourge (I have many designs in other sets, but lots in Scourge) and I remember that the act of drawing a card for your turn used to be a triggered ability in the comp rules. During playtesting, I got to put stifle in isochron's scepter exactly once before then-rules-manager Paul Barclay modified the comp rules basically on the spot. . ."

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

mehall posted:

@Ciprion Maricon: Dunno about the letter, but the Magic Judges FB page has confirmed all Judges are getting these.

Cool, I'm excited to get these.

EDIT: It's interesting to note how out in the cold lots of L1s feel when many immediately ask if they are included in something for all Judges.

Very cool of Heckt to jump in and make sure everyone gets them though.

Ciprian Maricon fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Jul 31, 2014

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

Angry Grimace posted:

Speaking of that Stiflechat from a few days ago, I found this comment from Worth Wollpert pretty amusing regarding the use of Stifle:

"Only card design team I've been on was Scourge (I have many designs in other sets, but lots in Scourge) and I remember that the act of drawing a card for your turn used to be a triggered ability in the comp rules. During playtesting, I got to put stifle in isochron's scepter exactly once before then-rules-manager Paul Barclay modified the comp rules basically on the spot. . ."

Ha, that's pretty funny. Whoopsie!

edit: also, reprint Isochron Scepter.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Ciprian Maricon posted:

Cool, I'm excited to get these.

EDIT: It's interesting to note how out in the cold lots of L1s feel when many immediately ask if they are included in something for all Judges.

Very cool of Heckt to jump in and make sure everyone gets them though.

I think it's to do with how little recognition a lot of L1s get.

I think the new Exemplar program gives a good chance for non-GP judges to get the occasional promo foil, and I think that especially helps the L1's who only really ever judge at one, maybe 2 local stores.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C

biopanda posted:

Pop in the stream and the first thing I see are pony sleeves :cripes:

Yeah he also was showing off a pony altered cryptic command. His play mat is mlp too. Good player though.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

mehall posted:

I think it's to do with how little recognition a lot of L1s get.

It's part of the growing pains of the program.

There's a whole lot of relatively new Judges, and with GP Work exclusively the purview of experienced Judges there has been little opportunity to integrate the new Judges into the wider community.

mehall posted:

I think the new Exemplar program gives a good chance for non-GP judges to get the occasional promo foil, and I think that especially helps the L1's who only really ever judge at one, maybe 2 local stores.

It's a positive step but its going to be rocky at first. PTOs are going to have to pony up a lot more compensation to make Judging not a significant net loss for the Judges working 10+ hours staffing them.

The community just hasn't properly assimilated the huge numbers of new Judges and that poses an obstacle. There was something very meritocratic about "work a GP = get foils" It's going to take a lot of effort from people to make sure the exemplar program doesn't start feeling insular. You have stuff like the situation in West Virginia, easily over 20 active Judges but not a single L2 in the State. So right now, there is zero way for the guys and gals working in WV to get any recognition because only L2s can recognize Judges for the exemplar program.

I'm optimistic and I hope as the program gets sorted out things will work well but there are definitely some obstacles.

Shavnir
Apr 5, 2005

A MAN'S DREAM CAN NEVER DIE
West Virginia's gonna have a rough time with the PreTQ system.

Thankfully there's already like 4 L2s in my city (and 2 more testing this weekend :v: ) so I'm pretty sure we'll have all our PreTQs covered.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Shavnir posted:

West Virginia's gonna have a rough time with the PreTQ system.

In what way?

It's actually going to be very interesting. For example within a 1 hour Radius of Charleston there are 4 or 5 Stores that are Advanced WPN locations and can Schedule PreTQs, that's potentially 4 PreTQs within a pretty small geographical with a small player base compared to other places with 4+ stores so close. Relevant events already draw significantly from Pennsylvania, Ohio, and Virginia, and the TOs here are decently established. If the requirements for PreTQs are an L2 or above (as they likely will be) the TO's here are used to it and have been paying the money to bring L2s and L3s in for PTQs, States, and other high level events for years, a lack of local L2s won't present an obstacle as far as organizing the events imo.

Ciprian Maricon fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Jul 31, 2014

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
This Two-Headed Games stream is showing U/R Delver vs. Living End on camera but I can hear right next to those guys playing that there's a dude running out a Necromancer's Stockpile/Waste Not deck and that's not being shown.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
I wonder if all 20 stores in Baltimore are going to run PreTQs. It may as well be its own region at that point.

Shavnir
Apr 5, 2005

A MAN'S DREAM CAN NEVER DIE

Ciprian Maricon posted:

In what way?

It's actually going to be very interesting. For example within a 1 hour Radius of Charleston there are 4 or 5 Stores that are Advanced WPN locations and can Schedule PreTQs, that's potentially 4 PreTQs within a pretty small geographical with a small player base compared to other places with 4+ stores so close. Relevant events already draw significantly from Pennsylvania, Ohio, and Virginia, and the TOs here are decently established. If the requirements for PreTQs are an L2 or above (as they likely will be) the TO's here are used to it and have been paying the money to bring L2s and L3s in for PTQs, States, and other high level events for years, a lack of local L2s won't present an obstacle as far as organizing the events imo.

Helene already confirmed L2+ for PreTQ HJ.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Ramos posted:

Oh, wow. Ha ha, nice. That's an intro to web development sort of mistake.

I really want to post a big list of all the things about the new DailyMTG site that make me angry as both a web designer and an internet user. I emailed Wizards about some bugs that can be fixed with simple lines of CSS over a week ago. They haven't responded yet.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Rules of Morph are not changing. So I guess flipping doesn't go on the stack, which still feels a bit weird to me, but hey, whatever.

Ramos fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Jul 31, 2014

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Ramos posted:

Rules of Morph are not changing. So I guess flipping doesn't go on the stack, which still feels a bit weird to me, but hey, whatever.

I'm struggling to see how it could be made to use the stack sensibly. Paying for a morph, without your opponent being able to see what ability you're activating seems silly. It would also require them to know every morph creature by morph cost to be able to respond appropriately.

Inverse
Jun 30, 2010

The only thing I hate about morph is the cheating potential of swinging for game with a 2/2 when its just a mountain.

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

I really don't see why that is such a huge concern. When the game is over, or it changes zones, the morph card is revealed. (Not sure about going back to your hand, actually). If its not a creature with morph, they lose automatically.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Inverse posted:

The only thing I hate about morph is the cheating potential of swinging for game with a 2/2 when its just a mountain.

It's been mentioned a few times but at the end of the game players are required to reveal morph cards.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Inverse posted:

Good thing the Morph rule is that at the end of the game you need to flip all unmorphed cards, and if it's a card that isn't Morphable or you refuse to do so, you automatically lose.

C-Euro posted:

I wanna know whether or not face-down creatures are still going to be depicted as stone spiders in card art.

Wasn't that Ixidor's thing, and isn't he dead?

Count Bleck fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Jul 31, 2014

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I wanna know whether or not face-down creatures are still going to be depicted as stone spiders in card art.

Obscil
Feb 28, 2012

PLEASE LIKE ME!

Inverse posted:

When the game ends, a player is required by the rules to reveal any face down cards they have in play. So as long as you remember this rule, they can't cheat you. Well they can but, they would get punished for doing so in a tournament setting. If someone does it in a non-competitive setting, just tell all yours friends that that player is a cheater and not to play with that player again.

EDIT: drat was I beaten hard.

Inverse
Jun 30, 2010

I had no idea that was a rule sorry. Is it going to be printed on the card? last time it wasn't, Knowing you have to reveal all flipped down cards is not exactly a thing new players are going to know.

Kasonic
Mar 6, 2007

Tenth Street Reds, representing
I'd say asking your opponent to flip their Morphs after the game is pretty intuitive, given how common the "But you can cheat with Morph!" idea is.

Count Bleck posted:

Wasn't that Ixidor's thing, and isn't he dead?

Yup, Karona done killed him before she was written out of Magic for being awful.

If I remember correctly, the Morph spiders didn't even factor into the novels. I'm not even sure how else you could express Morph creatures flavorfully, other than Ninjas in disguise or something like that.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Inverse posted:

I had no idea that was a rule sorry. Is it going to be printed on the card? last time it wasn't, Knowing you have to reveal all flipped down cards is not exactly a thing new players are going to know.

This is my problem. Sure, we all know, but what are the odds that you scoop your cards up after winning, only to realize afterwards that you didn't reveal your Morpher? If you're anything like me (and if you actually play standard,) it's approximately 100%. I hope they have some sort of flip card a la Innistrad to avoid that. I'm not entirely sure how they would do that though. I guess they would have to make the card with a 2/2 creature on one side and a checklist of all the Morphers on the other? It would only work in sleeves though, which seems to not be ideal.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

suicidesteve posted:

This is my problem. Sure, we all know, but what are the odds that you scoop your cards up after winning, only to realize afterwards that you didn't reveal yourMorpher? If you're anything like me (and if you actually play standard,) it's approximately 100%. I hope they have some sort of flip card a la Innistrad to avoid that. I'm not entirely sure how they would do that though. I guess they would have to make the card with a 2/2 creature on one side and a checklist of all the Morphers on the other? It would only work in sleeves though, which seems to not be ideal.

You do it once and a judge comes by and gives you a loss and then you don't forget to do it again. It's very straightforward : )

Inverse
Jun 30, 2010

suicidesteve posted:

This is my problem. Sure, we all know, but what are the odds that you scoop your cards up after winning, only to realize afterwards that you didn't reveal your Morpher? If you're anything like me (and if you actually play standard,) it's approximately 100%. I hope they have some sort of flip card a la Innistrad to avoid that. I'm not entirely sure how they would do that though. I guess they would have to make the card with a 2/2 creature on one side and a checklist of all the Morphers on the other? It would only work in sleeves though, which seems to not be ideal.

Wow a lot of people are going to get free wins from this. This mechanic is messy and is a relic from a dark time in magic.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Inverse posted:

Wow a lot of people are going to get free wins from this. This mechanic is messy and is a relic from a dark time in magic.

Everyone who posts like this never played when morph was legal. There were probably four total morph cards that saw constructed play, and it was painfully obvious which particular morph you were playing based on the cards that came before it.

It's a non-issue, stop worrying. Nobody's gonna cheat because it is so. loving. easy. to get caught.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

You do it once and a judge comes by and gives you a loss and then you don't forget to do it again. It's very straightforward : )

Man. If you had any idea how bad I am at these things. I put a die on my deck for Library triggers, move it to draw, and then forget about the library because the die isn't there anymore.

Anyway, I don't really care. I only play standard casually to help newbies learn to play and/or to help people test decks. I haven't updated my standard decks since Theros (not that BOG/JOU/M15 added a single card I want to play to any of them.) But I can see a ton of feelbads from people who didn't know any better, and I can see other people taking advantage of them. Especially considering there's no game losses at REL. "Oops, I already shuffled my guy back in. It definitely had morph though." That's why I like the idea of some sort of Morph card. If the card tells you it's a morpher, then obviously it's not a 2/2 Mountain. Unless they give basic lands Morph! (Hire me Wizards. I'll work from home.)

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Well, yes, if you don't call people on signs of cheating, then they get to cheat with no repercussions. This isn't exactly a mind-expanding point.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
How would putting some sort of indicator on the back of the card help things at all though?

Literally all you've achieved is making the card marked, so now you have to sleeve it so that no-one can see the indicator anyway.

Inverse
Jun 30, 2010

Well it better be incredible for the potential of a simple innocent mistake such as shuffling into your deck and losing the game on the spot. The more I think about it the worse I think it was to bring this back? Did people even like it? It seems like too much pressure for me.

Skillface
Oct 7, 2012
The amount of fear in this thread pertaining to flipping over a card at the end of the game is astounding. Even if you don't remember, your opponent is probably going to want to see it and it'll be the first thing they ask when they lose the game.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Inverse posted:

Did people even like it?

In constructed it seems really hard to have enough playable morphers in all colors to make it a real mystery what the face-down card is, and it's just going to be even more obvious if Morph is only around for a single set rather than a block. It sounds neat for limited, though.

The impression I got is that very few people would rate Morph as the mechanic they most wanted to see return, but a lot would put it in their top 10.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Inverse posted:

Well it better be incredible for the potential of a simple innocent mistake such as shuffling into your deck and losing the game on the spot. The more I think about it the worse I think it was to bring this back? Did people even like it? It seems like too much pressure for me.

Just fyi, if you're not paying attention to the procedure of the game at comp rel, then this probably isn't the only penalty you'll be getting.

At regular, you're probably not getting a game loss. Probably something like caution->warning->game loss, at the judge's discretion.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Lottery of Babylon posted:

In constructed it seems really hard to have enough playable morphers in all colors to make it a real mystery what the face-down card is, and it's just going to be even more obvious if Morph is only around for a single set rather than a block. It sounds neat for limited, though.

The impression I got is that very few people would rate Morph as the mechanic they most wanted to see return, but a lot would put it in their top 10.

There were probably more constructed playable morphs the second time around (TS Block) than there were in Onslaught block, in part because Legions was such a trash can of a set from a power level perspective.

That said, morph was pretty fun in limited except when you were playing against a red deck in OOO/OOL and they attacked their morph into your morph on turn 4.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.

Skillface posted:

The amount of fear in this thread pertaining to flipping over a card at the end of the game is astounding. Even if you don't remember, your opponent is probably going to want to see it and it'll be the first thing they ask when they lose the game.

Not at Competitive REL. At serious competitive REL tournaments people will not say anything except "Judge!" 5 Seconds after you've shuffled in your morph card. Still, I think this will be mentioned in every player meeting so hopefully it won't be much of an issue.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Its not that hard to remember to flip the cards over if you actually have morph creatures in your deck. Its really not.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Morph owns and is cool as heck

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*
Bring back venser and ixidor too please

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:
The whole "but I'll shuffle the morph cards back into my deck!" thing is a dumb as hell fear because you still have to flip the cards that are turned face down because you don't put cards into your deck face up. Seriously, in order to get them into your deck again, you have to flip them over again to begin with, they're not going to magically flip rightside up as they go back in your library.

• Locked thread