Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

Jewel posted:

I'm glad toady uses visual studio and not some pitch-black vim console setup or something crazy.

I think you might be surprised at how many "normal" programmers use vim and command line tools

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewel
May 2, 2009

Mr. Glass posted:

I think you might be surprised at how many "normal" programmers use vim and command line tools

Oh of course, but even then they're usually not making such an extremely large scale game by themselves that's been in development for so long.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Is there a reason why milling plants creates a 1:1 product ratio but brewing / processing creates a 5:1? It makes using sugar/wheat very unappealing.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Jewel posted:

Oh of course, but even then they're usually not making such an extremely large scale game by themselves that's been in development for so long.

Nope, we're just securing your credit card purchases.

:)

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
How many professional programmers are lurking in this thread?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I think like half of us are. It's this sort of game, man.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

my dad posted:

I didn't think you were allowed to use the internet unless you were a professional programmer.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

I once made python say "Hell World" so I think that we can safely say that there are A LOT OF PRO(GRAMMER)S HERE.

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
From a technical standpoint are any of the underlying procedural generation systems (world generation, civs/history, forgotten beasts, etc) particularly interesting from a programmer's standpoint?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yes.

PhantomZero
Sep 7, 2007
I recently started playing again, my last experience being with the 2D version of the game. I have had some trouble surviving a full year, due to goblin invasions, winter freezing up the water and not having enough booze, losing is fun, etc. I don't think being a programmer has much influence on liking the game, except maybe being more tolerant of the graphics and user interface.

In my latest game I embarked in a place where the river wouldn't freeze, with a waterfall, flux stones, and iron ore, perfect for getting steel going quickly.

In Early-Summer of the first year, before the first Dwarven caravan arrived, I was attacked by a band of about 6 goblins. I quickly got everyone into the fortress and hoped the goblins would fall victim to my traps. However, they didn't come into the fortress, simply content to murder my livestock and hang out on the map edge. It quickly turned to Early-Autumn and I became worried that my dwarven liaison might not arrive and decided to come up with a plan to break the siege.

I noticed that by this time only a single goblin crossbowman was still hanging around and decided to send someone out there to attempt to fight it. My miners were deemed too valuable so I sent out my woodcutter, being one of the few dwarves with a weapon. I formed up the squad and gave the order to attack.

She ran about 30 tiles and dodged 2 bolts before a third struck her in the left foot. While the goblin was reloading she mustered the strength to knock him out in one punch. After knocking him out she took her bloodied foot, stuffed it in the goblin's mouth and proceeded to punch him in the face until it turned into mush, rather than use the copper axe.

Only later did I read her biography and notice that she was mighty and incredibly tough. She rested in the hospital I quickly dug out and healed well enough to not require sutures or crutches and fed upon many fine foods for her heroic service.

Unfortunately I had waited too long, Winter set in with no sign of the caravan. Spring and Summer came with no new migrants arriving, except in Mid-Summer the goblins returned with a larger party. They killed the rest of the livestock I had not taken below into my fortress and were not killed in the first invasion and then left as soon as they were done. I had to butcher a poor donkey that had suffered a spinal injury. Autumn came and the dwarven caravan arrived, I was able to buy everything I wanted and gave the trader a handsome profit, having spent such a long time crafting knick-knacks.

Now approaching my third Spring, I have my smith producing fine steel armor and weapons. My militia, led by Iron Foot herself, trains well to fend off the next invasion.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

For future reference, drafting active woodcutters/miners/hunters is just asking for trouble equipment-wise.

Penultimatum
Apr 2, 2010

atomicthumbs posted:

That reminds me... I tried planting and brewing a bunch of potatos. I wanted vodka and ended up with potato wine. :mad:

I think Toady said somewhere that in the future they're going to re-work the brewing system so that there's more nuance. As Toady doesn't seem to like the idea of more than minimally functional placeholders, everything is either wine or beer right now.

Despite being called a "still" I think the idea is that you'll have the current brewery style workshop for the initial processing and a separate still workshop for distilling. So technically speaking, unless you distill it it IS just potato wine. :pseudo:

tgijsola
Apr 27, 2008

orange
Pillbug

my dad posted:

Yeah. Half of the appeal of this game is trying to figure out how he structured the code.

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Is there any indication that future versions plan to tone down the birth rate at all? Or is there an option for that? Every single couple in my fortress, and some single ladies, pump out a kid once every six months like clockwork. And when I say clockwork I mean they all do it within a couple days of each other in spring and fall, and my population is 40% children and babies right now.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

The BABY_CHILD_CAP in d_init.txt. There's both an absolute cap and a softer "no more than n% of the population" percentage.

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
I really need to look through those sometime. Thanks.

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

That doesn't actually add volcanoes as I recall, it just makes the game reject the world if it doesn't have enough.

Fiddling with the # of volcanoes just added a few more volcanoes. I put it at 5 with no problems.

TheCIASentMe
Jul 11, 2003

I'll get you! Just you wait and see!

Daynab posted:

From two pages back but I had the chance to do it.

Put that in data/init/world_gen.txt, then open the "Design a world with advanced parameters" and it should be at the bottom. Press e to go into advanced parameters and disable the seed for history since mine had no elves or goblins. Try a few times till you get what you want.

For anyone else interested, this was the interesting part:

Maybe you said in the original post but does this site have iron or any other fun surprises?

Gus Hobbleton
Dec 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
You know, I keep on feeling like I forgot something when I started this game...

OH, RIIIIIIGHT!

:stare:

Danny Glands
Jan 26, 2013

Possible thermal failure (CPU on fire?)

Ceta Saliirithe: Harbinger of the Dwarven Apocalypse.

:iit:

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Pretty sure migrant waves are hosed. I'm not even getting the hardcoded initial 2 waves.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Pretty sure migrant waves are hosed. I'm not even getting the hardcoded initial 2 waves.

Did you copy the init from a pre 40.05 version? 40.05 introduced a strict population cap in the init, and if it isn't in there it is treated as 0.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

PublicOpinion posted:

Did you copy the init from a pre 40.05 version? 40.05 introduced a strict population cap in the init, and if it isn't in there it is treated as 0.

Yeah I did. From d_init.txt "[POPULATION_CAP:100]"

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Reactions question: I'm trying to make a reaction that makes felt (the wool of a [DOES_NOT_EXIST] creature named felt) from hair. I've got it basically working, except I can only figure out how to get it to use any bodypart, or hair thread. that is, hair that has been spun. Is there any way to get it to use just raw hair? Here's the implementation that uses any body part, so you can make felt from hooves or intestines or whatever, which is just silly.

I think the problem might be CREATURE_MAT:NONE:HAIR. Like it doesn't accept NONE to mean any creature so it just throws out the whole line.

code:
[REACTION:HAIR_TO_FELT]
	[NAME:wet felt animal hair]
	[BUILDING:TANNER:CUSTOM_F]
	[REAGENT:A:1:NONE:NONE:CREATURE_MAT:NONE:HAIR]
	[USE_BODY_COMPONENT]
	[UNROTTEN]
	[PRODUCT:100:1:CLOTH:NONE:CREATURE_MAT:FELT:HAIR][PRODUCT_DIMENSION:10000]
	[SKILL:TANNER]

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Is there a reason why milling plants creates a 1:1 product ratio but brewing / processing creates a 5:1? It makes using sugar/wheat very unappealing.

For straight food production yeah, but I believe milled products are usually more valuable so it evens out from a pure value standpoint. Also, can't milled stuff have quality attached?

The Moon Monster fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jul 30, 2014

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Yeah I did. From d_init.txt "[POPULATION_CAP:100]"

40.05 introduced [STRICT_POPULATION_CAP:n], which is an absolute limit on the number of dwarves. If it's not in d_init it defaults to 0.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Well I'll be damned, thanks. If I add that line into my current d_init.txt will migrant waves start as normal or do I need to start over?

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

That one should be fine to change in an active fort.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
Is there an optimal state to retire a fort in to make it stand up better to invasions? What things does the game pay attention to?

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014
Do any of you know of a way to edit the personality of a specific dwarf? I don't care about the attributes, but things like strength, agility, creativity etc. I don't want to edit the raw creature file so that every single dwarf is affected, but maybe i can edit the individual numbers in a savegame or something?

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Maarak posted:

Is there an optimal state to retire a fort in to make it stand up better to invasions? What things does the game pay attention to?

If your fort gets invaded it loses and there is nothing you can do about that

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
What world gen parameters are required for goblins to spawn in 40.xx? I've been generating an 'easy' world with a ton of forests trying for a forested embark on a river with a volcano and a cave in a 3x4 square and I can't seem to get any goblins to spawn. Just humans and elves... If it helps, I have rainfall and drainage from 20 to 100, savagery from 0 to 50, placing 30 civilizations. Or do goblins require 100 savagery to spawn?

Edit: This is, of course, assuming that volcanoes and caves can spawn on the same 16x16 embark region. Can they? Or am I SOL?

Doubleedit: It appears a cave and a volcano can spawn on the same local map, but very rarely. This was the result of generating a 33x33 world with 200 volcanoes and 800 caves. Getting there... slowly.

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jul 31, 2014

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

More generally, I'd love a pointer to detailed explanations of the different world gen parameters. I've tried fiddling with perfectworld, but it's basically all just !!NUMBERS!! to me.

Daynab
Aug 5, 2008

TheCIASentMe posted:

Maybe you said in the original post but does this site have iron or any other fun surprises?

I haven't played around with it too much but the embark did have flux, shallow and deep metals I'm pretty sure.

Spoggerific
May 28, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

More generally, I'd love a pointer to detailed explanations of the different world gen parameters. I've tried fiddling with perfectworld, but it's basically all just !!NUMBERS!! to me.

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Advanced_world_generation

This page goes through all of them and explains what they do. A lot are not very self-explanatory at all, like how the minimum volcanoes setting rejects worlds with less volcanoes instead of spawning at least that many volcanoes.

Bonfiesta
Sep 4, 2012

Salvor_Hardin posted:

If I recall correctly, milled products have a higher value per unit. In other words, 5 units of ☼dwarven sugar roast☼ will be much more valuable than 5 units of ☼dwarven syrup roast☼. And probably tastier too.

Also they are different ingredients, so you can combine the two when cooking. Variety is the spice of life (...and food).

Bonfiesta fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jul 31, 2014

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Everything is a placeholder right now, so some things don't make sense.

The advantage to sugar is that it is extremely valuable, and it counts as a solid for cooking. (All meals require at least one solid ingredient.) A unit of sweet pod become 5 units of booze with a total value of 10, or one unit of sugar with a total value of 20. So a stack of meals made with sugar will be smaller but more valuable, so if you are using meals as a trade good milling sugar is a good deal.

Syrup has the same value as sugar and the X5 multiplier of booze, unfortunately syrup is bugged and cooks won't use it unless some arcane conditions are met. http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Dwarven_syrup

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

This mead hall is on top of an active volcano.

e: I tried leaving and the game crashed when I exited the site on the worldmap. Now I can't restart adventure mode without it crashing during the two weeks.

GorfZaplen fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Jul 31, 2014

tom bob-ombadil
Jan 1, 2012

TheCIASentMe posted:

I'll field this one because I have been playing with this world a LOT.

1) Lower the mineral scarcity to >1000. The default setting of 2500 means there is no iron ANYWHERE, if that's what it means when you can't buy hematite or iron bars at embark.

2) You can boost the number of volcanoes without losing the river one. I genned the same world with five.

3)There are no forests on that map, so there will NEVER be elves.

4) Without DFhack I can't tell if there's iron on the map. There is an aquifer practically right next to the volcano 2 levels below the lava surface on the east side of the map. Plenty of Galena though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Spoggerific posted:

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Advanced_world_generation

This page goes through all of them and explains what they do. A lot are not very self-explanatory at all, like how the minimum volcanoes setting rejects worlds with less volcanoes instead of spawning at least that many volcanoes.

What's the secret to getting coal/lignite to generate though? The profile I've been using is all forest so I tried adding swamps but that didn't help any. I know it only generates in sedimentary rock, but how do you get it? Do you need an ocean? I found the perfect volcano river embark, but without coal, it's useless for me.