Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

PantsBandit posted:

So at what point does Human Revolution start to get good? I've tried to play it a couple times and managed to make it to about the first time you can walk around the game world before giving up.

It took me awhile (couple hours maybe) before it really clicked, and playing it right after finishing Dishonored didn't help with HR's slower, story-heavy gameplay - but I thought it was a lot of fun investigating and exploring the game, and the combat was fun when I went for a mostly non-lethal/stealthy approach.

If you got to finally explore the city I'd do at least a main story mission and see if it grabs you, but the slow pace did put me off as well initially but I ended up really enjoying the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

Zombie Samurai posted:

He sat in on a playthrough of his own game if there was any doubt. Really funny guy, too.

And hell yes I am jealous.

I started the video and hear two regular guys introduce themselves and then just Adam Jensen speaks up without threatening to kill someone and I kind of lost it. :allears:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

PlushCow posted:

It took me awhile (couple hours maybe) before it really clicked, and playing it right after finishing Dishonored didn't help with HR's slower, story-heavy gameplay - but I thought it was a lot of fun investigating and exploring the game, and the combat was fun when I went for a mostly non-lethal/stealthy approach.

If you got to finally explore the city I'd do at least a main story mission and see if it grabs you, but the slow pace did put me off as well initially but I ended up really enjoying the game.

Dishonored's gameplay is pretty story-based if you stop and use the heart on everybody.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
So if I thought the first hour of Tomb Raider was derivative trash, should I just uninstall it now?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Anonymous Robot posted:

So if I thought the first hour of Tomb Raider was derivative trash, should I just uninstall it now?

It's literally a third person shooter. If you don't like it/that you won't like it. It offers no new gameplay experience, but it does do the normal stuff (shooty/shooty-sneaky) pretty well.

It looks great and I thought was pretty fun.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
The game opens up a bit and the cutscenes come a bit less frequently, it doesn't fundamentally change tone or gameplay however, so don't give it too much longer.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Anonymous Robot posted:

Mmmmaybe? The first hour is pretty slow paced and cutscene heavy compared to most of the rest of the game (though even as someone who liked the game some of the bits where you fight waves of baddies went on for too long) but faster paced just means you'll be shooting more people or exploring larger areas for various collectables without getting interrupted by cutscenes and QTE's as often.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Biggest human being Ever posted:

The game opens up a bit and the cutscenes come a bit less frequently, it doesn't fundamentally change tone or gameplay however, so don't give it too much longer.

Okay, that's what I was wondering. I'll give it a little more time, because the first area's "cutscene/QTE tunnel/cutscene/QTE tunnel/cutscene/press LB to highlight the puzzle solution/cutscene" formula made it feel like the worst 2009 game ever.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Might be a stupid question, but can you not set Trails in the Sky to run in a windowed mode?

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Anonymous Robot posted:

Okay, that's what I was wondering. I'll give it a little more time, because the first area's "cutscene/QTE tunnel/cutscene/QTE tunnel/cutscene/press LB to highlight the puzzle solution/cutscene" formula made it feel like the worst 2009 game ever.

Yes, as you go it will turn into QTE Tunnel/Cutscene/Semi-Open Area to Explore/QTE Tunnel/Cutscene/etc. So it gets a bit better as you get into it, but it doesn't really get radically different or anything.

TheCoon
Mar 3, 2009

Justin_Brett posted:

Might be a stupid question, but can you not set Trails in the Sky to run in a windowed mode?

There's a windowed checkbox at the bottom of the Display tab in the config program.

Also, thanks to whoever linked that Idle_Master program. I left it on all night and got like 50 cards. I'm rich! :getin:

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

Ragequit posted:

Hell, I'll do one of these too. Huge thanks to Kragger! I am sure my kids will enjoy laughing at my ineptitude at octopus life.

Quoting this because I had the same level of spasmic mayhem when I played Octodad.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

I might have skimmed through the thread too quickly or just been blind, buuuuut…

…is there any way to trick Steam into downloading files for a game that isn't available on a given platform?

I'm doing a complete rebuild of my windows machine and I'm still waiting for parts to arrive, but in the meantime, I got an itch for all kinds of old iD games. As luck would have it, I have one of those “every iD game ever” packages, but as misfortune would have it, they're all dosbox or (best-case) some old windows builds… and I'm on OSX right now.

All I want is those sweet sweet .wads. :gonk:

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

3 hours idled so far in bad rats. 1 card dropped. :argh: :argh: :argh:

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Awesome! posted:

You should have all the cards from completing the game.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Awesome! posted:

You have to become a King.

not an endorsement
Mar 14, 2008

Personally, I think it's problematic that a sitting Senator has a racial slur for a last name.

If you don't buy Space Rangers HD for $5 (at a 75% off sale), you are sorely missing out.

Just do yourself a favor and skip the RTS missions.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

You should have all the cards from completing the game.

You'd like that wouldn't you

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug

Awesome! posted:

You'd like that wouldn't you

You're not a man until you've become a king (or eat a pork bun).

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

Why do the peasants slave while the emperor gets to eat all the mung?!

Drifter posted:

Uhhh I'm pretty sure you can remap keys.

I had to launch the game to make sure I wasn't going crazy.

Turns out it's just controller buttons you can't remap, because reasons.

NeoSeeker
Nov 26, 2007

:spergin:ASK ME ABOUT MY TOTALLY REALISTIC ZIPLINE-BASED ZOMBIE SURVIVAL PLAN & HOW THE ZOMBIE SURVIVAL VIDEO GAME GENRE HAS BEEN "RAPED BY THE MAINSTREAM":spergin:
I'm really getting into lateral thinking bare bones *the real thing* (looking at you RE4) survival horror. Was into it as a kid but my head was hosed. Now for some reason my head is unfucked, at least to this degree. It's now second nature and my newest favorite thing, well it was but it's WAY better now... not having to look at a guide every 2 minutes. I don't like the third person perspective, it takes away from the atmosphere. I love gritty horror combat, and good combat systems are kind of almost required for me.

In essence I'm looking for games like condemned and cry of fear. First person survival horror (the real thing, not an atmospheric shooter with inventory elements) and combat that's actually satisfying.

Atmosphere is REQUIRED. CoF has plenty of jump scares but to anyone who isn't a bitch they set the tone, maybe spike your adrenaline and mess with you. I'm legitimately creeped out in melee combat, that's a product of the combination of incredibly unsettling and disturbing enemies who are incredibly unpredictable in an environment that seems like it's a place desolately forsaken. I want a game that can mind gently caress me.. and my mind has been a dirty whore so it's really hard to satisfy.

NeoSeeker fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jul 30, 2014

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Tippis posted:

I might have skimmed through the thread too quickly or just been blind, buuuuut…

…is there any way to trick Steam into downloading files for a game that isn't available on a given platform?

I'm doing a complete rebuild of my windows machine and I'm still waiting for parts to arrive, but in the meantime, I got an itch for all kinds of old iD games. As luck would have it, I have one of those “every iD game ever” packages, but as misfortune would have it, they're all dosbox or (best-case) some old windows builds… and I'm on OSX right now.

It's been a really long time since I was on OSX but isn't there a program like Wine? If so, download Steam through that and then you can download any game through Steam, through Wine.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

This post was made by a crazy person. Anyways, I would suggest Outlast I guess? That one I haven't actually played. If you don't mind some jank, there's also Call of Cthulu: Dark Corners of the Earth, but be warned there is much jank. Otherwise there isn't a lot of first-person horror. If you haven't played Silent Hill you really really should, regardless of your feelings on third person.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Humerus posted:

It's been a really long time since I was on OSX but isn't there a program like Wine? If so, download Steam through that and then you can download any game through Steam, through Wine.

There is. It's just an annoyingly slow and fiddly and cumbersome process — enough that I'd rather wait a while until I get windows up and running again. The hope was that I could just tell Steam to cough up the files irrespective of platform.

Impatience and laziness — it's hell of a combination. :D

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

My recommendations:
http://store.steampowered.com/app/22180/
http://store.steampowered.com/app/3730/
http://store.steampowered.com/app/238210/
http://store.steampowered.com/app/283290/
http://store.steampowered.com/app/211600/

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

NeoSeeker posted:

I'm really getting into lateral thinking bare bones *the real thing* (looking at you RE4) survival horror. Was into it as a kid but my head was hosed. Now for some reason my head is unfucked, at least to this degree. It's now second nature and my newest favorite thing, well it was but it's WAY better now... not having to look at a guide every 2 minutes. I don't like the third person perspective, it takes away from the atmosphere. I love gritty horror combat, and good combat systems are kind of almost required for me.

In essence I'm looking for games like condemned and cry of fear. First person survival horror (the real thing, not an atmospheric shooter with inventory elements) and combat that's actually satisfying.

Atmosphere is REQUIRED. CoF has plenty of jump scares but to anyone who isn't a bitch they set the tone, maybe spike your adrenaline and mess with you. I'm legitimately creeped out in melee combat, that's a product of the combination of incredibly unsettling and disturbing enemies who are incredibly unpredictable in an environment that seems like it's a place desolately forsaken. I want a game that can mind gently caress me.. and my mind has been a dirty whore so it's really hard to satisfy.
You could maybe try out two other Source mods that seem in a similar ilk to Cry of Fear, like Afraid of Monsters or Nightmare House 2. Though I think you might be hard pressed to find many people on here that found much enjoyment in Cry of Fear.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Are people still playing Velvet Sundown? Did I miss the boat on that?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Are people still playing Velvet Sundown? Did I miss the boat on that?

They removed the hilarious text to speech and its dumb now :(

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.

Never do one of these again.

That way you can say that every single one you've done has been perfect :allears:

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

This post was made by a crazy person. Anyways, I would suggest Outlast I guess? That one I haven't actually played. If you don't mind some jank, there's also Call of Cthulu: Dark Corners of the Earth, but be warned there is much jank. Otherwise there isn't a lot of first-person horror. If you haven't played Silent Hill you really really should, regardless of your feelings on third person.

THANK YOU! His post was literally giving me a headache and I was wondering if I was going crazy.

Outlast is pretty great but I think he's looking for something with combat? Really the post was not clear at all. I was also going to suggest Dead Space 1 but that's also third person :shrug:

I'd also suggest Metro 2033 and Metro Last Light played on Ranger mode.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
FEAR, but only ever do the jumpkick.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Everblight posted:

What the gently caress?! Tell the devs they're dumb butts.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Everblight posted:

quote:

Unfortunately we had to disable the text-to-speech feature from free users due to the heavy usage and related costs. We hope to re-introduce it to everyone once we have been able to solve the server setup with our TTS provider. Premium players aren’t affected by this and will continue to hear all voices in all scenarios.

It'll be back.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Tippis posted:

You could try installing steam in Wine and downloading it through that

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

any idea why steam won't let me remove shovel knight from my wishlist? I click remove and it removes itself and then when I go back it's there again. I've tried removing it and rearranging the list so I can hit the save button and it doesn't matter.

and before you say just buy it idiot I already bought it on my 3ds so now I can wait until it's in a bundle or $3 or something here.

e: ok so removing it from the steam client worked but the website is not. and actually it's not working for anything not just shovel knight

Awesome! fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Jul 31, 2014

ovaries
Nov 20, 2004

It's a known bug with Enhanced Steam. The dev said he'll try to fix it for the next update.

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.
So first the Z games coming to Steam were inexplicably just ports of the mobile games, and now the new Colin McRae Rally game that just appeared is the same deal. This is some grade-A bullshit right here. The first three Colin McRae Rally games were awesome (assuming 2005 was the third, I'm counting CMR1, CMR2.0 and CMR2005 as "the first three"), yet we just get a port of the mobile version of CMR2.0 but without multiplayer. Kiss my rear end, Codemasters.

Awesome! posted:

e: ok so removing it from the steam client worked but the website is not. and actually it's not working for anything not just shovel knight

I find that Enhanced Steam sometimes gets a little uncooperative when you try to remove games from your wishlist, assuming you're using that. Try removing it from your wishlist from the game page itself (this is only valid if you're actually using Enhanced Steam).

e: Wow reading the post above mine would have saved me a lot of typing practice.

markgreyam fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Jul 31, 2014

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

yea I have enhanced steam so that must be it, thanks. Interesting that I haven't run into it before since I do almost everything from the site rather than the client.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Anonymous Robot posted:

I was in the same boat, it starts off bad, gets better / enjoyable (area or two after the bad men first show up) then towards the end starts to get a little repetitive, but not enough to not finish.

Overall I felt it was enjoyable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Anonymous Robot posted:

No, that first hour is easily the worst, aside from the last like 5 minutes.

• Locked thread