Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Fried Chicken posted:

It's interesting that this season, where we've all noticed she is much more calm and even headed, she's only used fire twice - against the vines and when they shot her with the dart.

The rest of the time air has been pretty common for her.

This is also because she's fighting largely unarmored opponents and is therefore not actually allowed to hit anyone with fire. When she was fighting mooks in rubber suits it was fine, but people who can actually be burned? Forget it.

If the show weren't on Nickelodeon, firebending would probably be the fastest way to end any fight. Even mild burns hurt like a motherfucker, in a way that is very difficult to ignore, even on adrenaline. And that's assuming you aren't wearing something flammable... like clothes. :supaburn:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZorajitZorajit
Sep 15, 2013

No static at all...
Avatar with even semi-realistic wounds would easily be the most violent show on television. The lava bending from the last episode could have easily left a pile of corpses in convection and rock gasses existed on Nickelodeon. Hell, the metal bending whips could probably pull limbs from the socket. Blood bending a hematoma or trapping someone's head in waterbending water. Actually, if the spoilered titles are to be believed, vacuum bending is going to kill someone.

I want to make it clear, I don't really want GRRM to write Avatar. I really don't think I'd enjoy that show. I really don't object to shows working on pulp action logic when people are getting hit by rocks the size of cars. But in five years when some show runner decides to deconstruct the action sequences ...holy poo poo do they have it easy.

E: Fixed spoiler tag. Sorry.

ZorajitZorajit fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jul 30, 2014

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Spergatory posted:

This is also because she's fighting largely unarmored opponents and is therefore not actually allowed to hit anyone with fire. When she was fighting mooks in rubber suits it was fine, but people who can actually be burned? Forget it.
Nah, original series and her fights with in armored opponents in S1&2 had plenty if fire thrown at unarmored opponents.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.

ZorajitZorajit posted:

But in five years when some show runner decides to deconstruct the action sequences ...holy poo poo do they have it easy.

What do you mean by 'deconstruct'?

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry

meristem posted:

What do you mean by 'deconstruct'?

Make an edgy reboot

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

ZorajitZorajit posted:

Actually, if the spoilered titles are to be believed

Good job failing to use spoiler tags

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Genocyber posted:

Good job failing to use spoiler tags
Actually there's literally nothing in the future episode titles that suggest anything of what he said, so you're in the clear.

Also Nick redesigned their website along with their video player, which includes the exciting new feature of the episode rating (That is, TV Y7) staying up the entire episode. It's really tiny, but it's a black box on white text in the corner of the screen, so welp.
It's also apparently not a tech glitch, since Nickelodeon told me on twitter that they have to keep it.

SpiderHyphenMan fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jul 30, 2014

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

I did watch all of season 2, it wasn't too painful. The deus ex machina ending wasn't as bad as season 1, but the bigger issue is that Jinora is the savior of the world, which sorta ruins the whole "avatar" business.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011
Why would you mention that?

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

TheModernAmerican posted:

but the bigger issue is that Jinora is the savior of the world, which sorta ruins the whole "avatar" business.

Korra did what Korra does best: mindlessly punch things.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Fried Chicken posted:

Nah, original series and her fights with in armored opponents in S1&2 had plenty if fire thrown at unarmored opponents.

Thrown at, but not actually hitting, sort of like how Zuko was barely allowed to hit anyone with his attacks in the original series. My point is that fire often looks like the least effective element because it isn't allowed to actually cause burns. I can think of only one or two instances in the original series (and none in Korra) where firebending caused even a first-degree burn.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG
Hey there, TvTropes. Tell me more about how dark and edgy and mature this literal children's cartoon from Nickelodeon could be. :allears:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Spergatory posted:

Thrown at, but not actually hitting, sort of like how Zuko was barely allowed to hit anyone with his attacks in the original series. My point is that fire often looks like the least effective element because it isn't allowed to actually cause burns. I can think of only one or two instances in the original series (and none in Korra) where firebending caused even a first-degree burn.

Perhaps, but it sure is good at killing peoples' parents in the past! :v:

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Spergatory posted:

The only time anyone got killed on screen was when Long Feng hit Jet with a boulder.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

AmiYumi posted:

Hey there, TvTropes. Tell me more about how dark and edgy and mature this literal children's cartoon from Nickelodeon could be. :allears:

It's pretty clear that's not what he's saying at all.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Baron Bifford posted:

The only time anyone got killed on screen was when Long Feng hit Jet with a boulder.

:v: Are you sure? It was really uncl-- oh, gently caress it.

I'm just saying. A little reddened skin wouldn't be that hard to draw. Come on, Nick. You've gotta teach these kids that fire hurts! Do you want them throwing fire at each other thinking it's harmless? Think of the children! :argh:

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011
Speaking of fire, as a fan of the One Piece manga, I was very amused at seeing Mako stopping a rather big stream of lava with a quick shot of fire.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Fried Chicken posted:

Zaheer called for plan b, but then they didn't do anything but continue their defense and attempt to break out.

This is why I'm giving the "Su is a traitor" any consideration - plan a is kidnap, plan b is make Korra come after them. It would be really bad writing to have Su be evil since the theme this season is change and we've spent 2 episodes on the fact she changed, but bad writing is a thing that happens.

I dunno, we'll see

I forgot that he said "Plan B." That changes things.

Su's clearly not in on it, though. She could've made Plan A work if she wanted to.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!
I think Zaheer was telling the other three members of the Red Lotus trapped on their little lava island to move to plan b, i.e. run like loving hell and regroup, rather than putting up a major fight to still try and capture the Avatar.

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

No one said anything about a giant Mad Max reference :allears:

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

You know I've seen some people call out that reference as lame and cliche, but really if you are going to do impoverished biker raiders, you can't go wrong with Mad Max biker raiders. :colbert:

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

When was that?

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Somberbrero posted:

It's pretty clear that's not what he's saying at all.

No, that's exactly what he was saying. Him getting off to the idea of ultraviolence was pushing this right back to the creepy territory we were told to stay out of.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Bending was created with the idea of being able to show literal children in fastpaced life-or-death combat without things getting uncomfortable, and it's shocking just how far this franchise has pushed the limits of that.
That said, there's nothing wrong with taking a step back and talking about taking the concept of bending, which I think I speak for everyone here when I say it's an unbelievably fascinating concept, and applying it to the real world.
"What if?" is fun. "How it should be" is another matter. That post lies squarely in the former.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Even if the show were off Nick they wouldn't do that (or much of it) since it wouldn't be very entertaining if every fire boiled down to "burn the other dude with fire/suck out their lungs with air" or w/e. And lavabending doesn't have convection because lava in fiction never has convection.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

DoctorWhat posted:

When was that?

Season 3 episode 3, when Korra gets sent out to collect tax for the Earth Queen.

Syrant
Jun 28, 2006
This post is brought to you by: Goat Bouillabaise.

First 9

NowonSA posted:

Korra is the #1 free agent, whoever signs her gets a huge advantage. Knowing me, I'd take the worst team (actual worst team, not the fire ferrets) and train them up until they beat a team with Korra on it.

Korra has the Jecht Shot, though.

Also yes, I want JetStream Sam DLC for the Korra game.

Because how can you not love this man.

The airbending joke writes itself.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

The last smugbender. :smug:

Carlton Banks Teller
Nov 18, 2004

Somebody posted images from comic con/leaks that show Asami carting off an unconscious Korra; I can't find the post now, but it made me wonder. Maybe we'll see them Mad Maxes again, what with them having a change of heart after seeing Korra's wanted posters, and aid Asami in rescuing Korra.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
You don't have to spoiler Korra losing fights because she does that every episode.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I tried the first season and it doesn't click for me at all the way Last Airbender did. It seems stuck in this limbo where they're not doing individual episodes but the serialized story isn't compelling enough to stick with. I just watched an episode about Korra's crush's girlfriend's dad's political affiliations. I wish that was a joke.

I guess the real problem his how divorced the characters and character development are from the overarching plot. Pretty much all the character development we get is from Korra's training and the pro bending story but then our characters have to drop all that and go deal with a politicized mystery plot that they don't seem to involve them very naturally.

I guess that also explains why some of the adult characters are so poorly developed because they only show up in the political plot part and don't stick around for downtime with Korra and the team.

The only thing I like about this show is Korra. She's a total meathead jock and an amusing contrast to Aang. I remember the first episode I was thinking "wow they draw Korra really broad and solid" and then I quickly realized it's because she is actually that buff. Her utter lack of finesse can be charming although I hope her character grows beyond chasing boys and punching things eventually.

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

That uhh... won't happen. The only reason why I stuck through it is because I don't have a job for the next 2 weeks and can just absorb input like a sad rock.

This show would be so much better if it had one villain like Aang had. It's a little bit of a let down to go from an event that happens once every ten thousand years that results in fundamental changes to how the universe works to... four dudes.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

This show would be so much better if it had one villain like Aang had. It's a little bit of a let down to go from an event that happens once every ten thousand years that results in fundamental changes to how the universe works to... four dudes.
Considering that, like Book 1, they made Book 2 working on the assumption that it would be the last one, it's not like they could pocket that idea and save it for later. So the alternative to "a little bit of a letdown" is the typical Sequel Syndrome of everything having to be BIGGER and MORE EPIC.

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

Ah, well at least the fault doesn't lie with the creators of the series. It's still a big problem.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Ah, well at least the fault doesn't lie with the creators of the series.

Yes, why blame the people directly responsible for writing and producing the series when we can focus our anger on an unrelated third party?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

That uhh... won't happen. The only reason why I stuck through it is because I don't have a job for the next 2 weeks and can just absorb input like a sad rock.

You gotta admit doing that takes some remarkable restraint instead, I dunno, adding space aliens and having Korra save the galaxy or something.

Light bending

Egregious Offences
Jun 15, 2013

Raenir Salazar posted:

You gotta admit doing that takes some remarkable restraint instead, I dunno, adding space aliens and having Korra save the galaxy or something.

Light bending

Korra learns the secrets of bending space-time itself to travel the stars!

insert "The X must flow" joke here

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Ah, yes, "spacebenders." We have dismissed that claim.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Fifty Three posted:

Ah, yes, "spacebenders." We have dismissed that claim.

:golfclap:

Its even funnier when you remember that Korra encountered similar obstruction from time to time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006
The stakes for the season may yet raise a lot. The Harmonic Convergence Ultimate Deciding Battle wasn't really in play until the last few episodes and we've just reached the same point this season. Also the season's supposed to be about change and we haven't really seen a ton other than Republic City having vines.

• Locked thread