Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Most British TV is poo poo but we've had some gems recently. Happy Valley is the best straight drama I've seen in a while, and Inside No. 9/Stewart Lee's Comedy Vehicle were funny as hell this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Britain has Utopia.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Deadpool posted:

If that's the best they have to offer than I'm especially glad I don't live there.

Britain has Peep Show, and that's better than 99% of American TV.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I love watching Charlie Brooker and seeing that British TV is an even grosser, stupider, and uglier quagmire of reality TV, sitcoms, and soap opera than the most dire of America's offerings.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Bown posted:

Most British TV is poo poo but we've had some gems recently. Happy Valley is the best straight drama I've seen in a while, and Inside No. 9/Stewart Lee's Comedy Vehicle were funny as hell this year.

And the biggest joke of them all, doctor who

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

...of SCIENCE! posted:

I love watching Charlie Brooker and seeing that British TV is an even grosser, stupider, and uglier quagmire of reality TV, sitcoms, and soap opera than the most dire of America's offerings.

I would say most american TV is just as bad as British stuff. We learned it from them, like Big Brother and Pop Idol. gently caress Britain.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
"Ow, my balls!"

-Taxi Brooklyn

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
Sharknado 2 is 10 minutes in and it's already ridiculous.

And amazing.

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
Tara Reid getting her hand chomped off was a plus.

Fooz
Sep 26, 2010

No FXX on demand, FX now doesn't support verizon, cant watch wilfred. gently caress you cable.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

Judd Hirsch just showed up and you'll never guess what he's driving!

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Sharknado 2 is really loving funny and better than I thought it was going to be. I can't see wanting to rewatch this though.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Al Roker and Matt Lauer are in a lot of this thing.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

MrAristocrates posted:

Al Roker and Matt Lauer are in a lot of this thing.
The dude that ran the pizza place they were just in was Biz Markie.

There's too many loving cameos to count in this movie so far!

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

If Jim Cantore doesn't show up and subsequently get eaten on-air I will be very upset.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Sharknado 2 is really loving funny and better than I thought it was going to be. I can't see wanting to rewatch this though.

Why would you want to rewatch it? It's not a movie, it's a social event.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

DivisionPost posted:

Why would you want to rewatch it? It's not a movie, it's a social event.

Speaking of, we're totally doing a livewatch in the IRC sometime this weekend. Details to follow.

E:

"Frogger?"

"Frogger."

hcreight fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Jul 31, 2014

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

All this for stealing a piece of bread? :waycool:

The guy literally jumped the shark, this fuckin movie

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

hcreight posted:

Speaking of, we're totally doing a livewatch in the IRC sometime this weekend. Details to follow.

Wait, of this?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

hcreight posted:

"Frogger?"

"Frogger."

"Don't say it."

"Jumped the shark."

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

How Did This Get Made (Paul Scheer, June Diane Raphael and Jason Mantzoukas' podcast) is covering this movie on next week's episode too.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

DivisionPost posted:

Wait, of this?

Yup.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

An EF5 Sharknado.

OrangeKing
Dec 5, 2002

They do play in October!

MrAristocrates posted:

An EF5 Sharknado.

2+2 is 4, I demand that Al Roker recheck his math.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

"You're just making this up as you go along!" :lol:

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

YOLO'B'US

:allears:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The ending of this movie is so loving absurd. It's amazing.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien
Was A Young Doctor's Notebook also produced in Britain? Currently watching it and it's brilliant.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

Well that is going to sweep the Oscars.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

MrAristocrates posted:

The ending of this movie is so loving absurd. It's amazing.
Sharknado 2 Evil Dead

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

That was glorious. Bravo, SyFy. I love you, The Asylum.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

That was a delight, I'm surprised they made it that fun

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Wait, Sharknado 2 is out already? Didn't they make the first one less than a year ago? I mean this is Syfy so that doesn't mean much, but still!

PittTheElder posted:

Britain has Peep Show, and that's better than 99% of American TV.

Also QI.

raditts fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Jul 31, 2014

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

raditts posted:

Wait, Sharknado 2 is out already? Didn't they make the first one less than a year ago? I mean this is Syfy so that doesn't mean much, but still!
Yeah the original just came out last year but 2 premiered tonight. The Asylum cranks that poo poo out.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Deadpool posted:

If that's the best they have to offer than I'm especially glad I don't live there.

Have you ever seen the Graham Norton Show? The quality fluctuates a bit depending on the guests, but it's pretty god drat funny. You should probably skip the (thankfully short) monologue though.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
Yeah I was just about to mention it as well. I don't watch it regularly, but it's one of those shows that seems to be on BBCA a lot whenever they're not showing Top Gear so I throw it on in the background sometimes and it's usually really good. I don't watch any other late night show because I don't really care for the format, but Norton's show seems more fluid and feels like they're just shooting the poo poo a lot more than it being an interview.

Also Peaky Blinders was pretty great. Speaking of which, when is the second season airing? Pretty excited to see what they do with Tom Hardy.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

VDay posted:

Yeah I was just about to mention it as well. I don't watch it regularly, but it's one of those shows that seems to be on BBCA a lot whenever they're not showing Top Gear so I throw it on in the background sometimes and it's usually really good. I don't watch any other late night show because I don't really care for the format, but Norton's show seems more fluid and feels like they're just shooting the poo poo a lot more than it being an interview.

I think the fact that it only airs once a week helps a lot quality-wise. The closest we get to the interview style in the US is probably Craig Ferguson, shame he's jumping ship when Letterman does.

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Did you not pour me out like milk, and curdle me like cheese?
It helps that whenever actors appear on Norton's show, they can drink.

Alcohol makes everything more fun.

Putrefaction
Oct 16, 2013
HBO has picked up David Simon's miniseries about public housing that he talked about doing years ago.

quote:

Seven months after his critical darling Treme ended its four-season run, the premium cable network has greenlit miniseries Show Me a Hero, The Hollywood Reporter has learned. Crash's Paul Haggis will direct, with Oscar Isaac (Drive, Star Wars: Episode VII) and Catherine Keener (Captain Phillips) attached to star in the six-hour entry.

Yay, more David Simon TV. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

It sounds like The Wire city hall spinoff. I wanted to like Treme but the barrage of musical segments just killed it for me. This is going to be good.

• Locked thread