Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

otter space
Apr 10, 2007

This beauty is for sale in my neighbourhood:

http://www.sabrerealtygroup.britishcolumbia.remax.ca/listing/100064512-150112743/310-alberta-st-new-westminster-bc-v3l%203j3/

Turns out the seller did some very ambitious home renovations without a single city permit. The front door of the house gets more festive every day.

Still tons of interested parties coming by daily, but no one is allowed inside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
My favourite one is the orange one that condemns the entire home.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

JawKnee posted:

yep, plenty of awesome people here if you aren't a reclusive shut-in terrified of people that aren't rich/pretending to be rich

Pretty awesome!

e: taaaaaabbbblleeesss

namaste friends fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Jul 31, 2014

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
yeah that's definitely one person that you already posted about earlier, if I post 2 people would that double refute you, you bozo?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Cultural Imperial posted:

Pretty awesome!

e: taaaaaabbbblleeesss

Sounds like it's working out pretty well for that guy. You jelly?

otter space posted:

This beauty is for sale in my neighbourhood:

http://www.sabrerealtygroup.britishcolumbia.remax.ca/listing/100064512-150112743/310-alberta-st-new-westminster-bc-v3l%203j3/

Turns out the seller did some very ambitious home renovations without a single city permit. The front door of the house gets more festive every day.

Still tons of interested parties coming by daily, but no one is allowed inside.

quote:

Certain work done without permits. Being SOLD As is, WHERE is.

:laugh: 500k.

Mrs. Wynand
Nov 23, 2002

DLT 4EVA
Hey CI so just wondering are you just coming out as straight up racist I mean it's cool if you are because it's not racism if it's true right but anyway if you could just come forward and clear the air on the issue that would be great.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

PC Financial is telling me all about limited-time offer of a 2.97% fixed-rate 4-year mortgage. That's not all - I could also get up to 1,000,000 PC points if I apply now!! Ok, I guess free groceries for a few years is a more useful bonus than a new car***, but still.

I was going to say something about how ridiculous it is for them to push a mortgage on to me knowing my income and transfers for most of the last few years, but then I realized that income isn't really an obstacle anyways.

The Ender
Aug 2, 2012

MY OPINIONS ARE NOT WORTH THEIR WEIGHT IN SHIT

quote:

Now tell me you don't sympathize with my avatar.

Are you loving joking or what?

Nguyễn Văn Lém owned nothing, was basically picked-out at random by a death squad and shot in the head while handcuffed. How is that similar to a vain & self-absorbed (but also hardly worthy of loving summary execution via pro-capital death squads, Jesus Christ) cosmopolitan shopaholic???

"Man I sure hate those consumerist get-rich-quick folks. Time to celebrate some unrelated mass murder that happened during the Cold War!"

If you're going to troll like that, at least go whole hog and use images from Auswitz or Baba Yar. You'll offend a lot more people that way.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)
No offense, guys, but I'm pretty sure he didn't know the provenance of the picture.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

The Ender posted:

Are you loving joking or what?

Nguyễn Văn Lém owned nothing, was basically picked-out at random by a death squad and shot in the head while handcuffed. How is that similar to a vain & self-absorbed (but also hardly worthy of loving summary execution via pro-capital death squads, Jesus Christ) cosmopolitan shopaholic???

"Man I sure hate those consumerist get-rich-quick folks. Time to celebrate some unrelated mass murder that happened during the Cold War!"

If you're going to troll like that, at least go whole hog and use images from Auswitz or Baba Yar. You'll offend a lot more people that way.

alright, i'll serious post, for a brief moment because i'm out of wine.

holy poo poo you're loving crazy. i don't know who you're trying to impress but you have some serious loving issues if you think you're changing the world by waging a campaign of righteousness on AN INTERNET COMEDY FORUM

////BACK TO TROLLING

e: IN A loving THREAD ABOUT COMEDY ECONOMICS IN CANADA

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)
Oh man, come on.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

Kafka Esq. posted:

Oh man, come on.

i hate your name

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

alright, i'll serious post, for a brief moment because i'm out of wine.

holy poo poo you're loving crazy. i don't know who you're trying to impress but you have some serious loving issues if you think you're changing the world by waging a campaign of righteousness on AN INTERNET COMEDY FORUM

////BACK TO TROLLING

e: IN A loving THREAD ABOUT COMEDY ECONOMICS IN CANADA

:qq:

Personally I'm no fan of the "Get a life" defence, especially in this case - you had a perfectly good opportunity to pull a puppet master, I'd have gone with that.

Wait, you were trolling, right?

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

FrozenVent posted:

:qq:

Personally I'm no fan of the "Get a life" defence, especially in this case - you had a perfectly good opportunity to pull a puppet master, I'd have gone with that.

Wait, you were trolling, right?

i like your posts about money

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
hey did the bubble pop yet

no?

gently caress

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
YAY, MORE ANECDOTES!

My wife's spoken to a lot of people she works with in residential construction and apparently there's already a shift away from these silly overpriced condos and gigantic houses because they aren't selling. Builders are scrambling to redesign projects so they can sell at lower price points while still making a profit. Granite counter tops, brushed aluminum bullshit and floor to ceiling windows are on their way out because in the past six months these units have been getting way harder to sell.

One of the general contractors she works for actually let some demolition permits expire because they're completely throwing out the plans they have now. Their previous projects have all had their prices slashed to the point where they'll barely break even if they sell at all.

at least for Winnipeg,

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

i hate your name

Oh god

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
i can't believe winnipeg has condos

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

The Ender posted:

He didn't buy that avatar.

Mr. Wynand posted:

Hey CI so just wondering are you just coming out as straight up racist I mean it's cool if you are because it's not racism if it's true right but anyway if you could just come forward and clear the air on the issue that would be great.

Blistering gotcha. You really blew him the gently caress up.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
i'm really insulted that you guys actually think a purelaine ethnic han would buy himself an avatar of vietnamese untermensch. Don't make me post a thread about the taxonomy of asian racism.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

Full stop, back to the topic at hand!

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
Not only does Winnipeg have condos, it has gems like half a million (now discounted to only 400K) 2 bedrooms in low rises and a new building that's literally called 'Glasshouse' where units are selling for the same price as you'd pay for a house that's only 10 minutes away and twice as big.

I can't wait to see what happens when you subject a glass walled condo building to a climate that goes from +40 to -40 every year.

Mrs. Wynand
Nov 23, 2002

DLT 4EVA

Brannock posted:

Blistering gotcha. You really blew him the gently caress up.

Oh I get it we're doing ironic racism.

It really isn't like this is just some out of character slip-up obviously based on a forgiveable historic misunderstanding. He's been saying border-line racist things all thread, here and the Canada thread too. Like he just comes off as the sort of person that wouldn't necessarily pull a "I'm not racist but", but would still say the thing that usually follows that opening if made to feel sufficiently comfortable.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

EvilJoven posted:

Not only does Winnipeg have condos, it has gems like half a million (now discounted to only 400K) 2 bedrooms in low rises and a new building that's literally called 'Glasshouse' where units are selling for the same price as you'd pay for a house that's only 10 minutes away and twice as big.

I can't wait to see what happens when you subject a glass walled condo building to a climate that goes from +40 to -40 every year.

I'm gonna be in Winnipeg next week. I can't wait to see this place.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Glasshouse just broke ground so it won't be anything to look at. The retarded condos are just off Corydon and are ugly as sin.

EDIT: You can go see the hilarious sales office for Glasshouse though in Winnipeg Square. From there it's only a few minutes walking under ground to the famous spot where some guy took a poo poo in a planter. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CFkdOWcNCM

EvilJoven fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Jul 31, 2014

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

Don't get banned Cultural Imperial, I get too much entertainment out of reading this thread at work.

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.

eXXon posted:

PC Financial is telling me all about limited-time offer of a 2.97% fixed-rate 4-year mortgage. That's not all - I could also get up to 1,000,000 PC points if I apply now!! Ok, I guess free groceries for a few years is a more useful bonus than a new car***, but still.

I was going to say something about how ridiculous it is for them to push a mortgage on to me knowing my income and transfers for most of the last few years, but then I realized that income isn't really an obstacle anyways.

Actually I think that's only $1,000 worth of PC points. That'd cover me for 4-5 months maybe.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Cultural Imperial has been engaged in some very un-Canadian posting. :colbert:

Mrs. Wynand
Nov 23, 2002

DLT 4EVA
So just back on topic, anyone know where I can find the historical CMHC mortgage terms?

Like when exactly did those crazy 35+ year mortgage terms happen? I vaguely recall maybe 2008? But the Vancouver price increase was already picking up steam all the way back in 2003 or so.

This sort of upsets my "CMHC is to blame for everything ever" narrative.

Interest rates were pretty high up to 2008 as well so it's not that either.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Maybe it started with retarded home renovation shows and spillover from USA housing fever?

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
There was a wiki with all the CMHC changes, I once used to lob at someone trying to blame it all on the Martin government, however Google is letting me down today.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

Franks Happy Place posted:

From this awesome blog:

In short: there is a timeliness component to the relevancy of discussing CMHC behavior in relation to the market.

Rereading all of my old posts to find the CMHC rule change info I remembered posting a year ago made me realize I should have my own finance column. :v:

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
loving burn this city to the ground

http://www.scmp.com/property/international/article/1534655/vancouver-developer-targets-worlds-wealthy-his-52-storey

quote:

Adding to the appeal for international buyers will be an "asset management" programme for absentee owners, with managers performing such tasks as running water through the taps and regularly switching on appliances should an apartment lie vacant for an extended period. It is a concept bound to raise eyebrows in a city where vacancy rates are frequently cited as a downside of foreign participation in the housing market.

As for whether Vancouver House would have more local or international buyers, Gillespie said he had "no idea". "[But] what I can tell right now is that we're receiving a lot of input from all over the world, which is not the norm. The norm for the last number of years is that you receive input from Vancouver and China … [but] people are being emotionally drawn to that sculpture."

Gillespie said he was unconcerned by Canada's decision in February to axe the 28-year-old millionaire migration scheme.

The scheme, under which migrants worth a minimum of C$1.6 million received permanent residency in exchange for loaning the government C$800,000 interest-free for five years, helped Vancouver become the world's favourite destination for millionaire migrants.

Applications by millionaires, most of them Chinese, to move to British Columbia under the scheme in recent years far exceeded those under similar wealth migration schemes to move to the United States, Australia and Britain combined.

The cancellation of the programme goes into effect this month, along with the formal rejection of visa applications by about 60,000 would-be migrants, two-thirds of them planning to move to British Columbia.

Gillespie said the move had likely triggered a brief decline in Vancouver sales already, although he believed it would amount to nothing more than "a blip". Rich immigrants would continue to make their way to Vancouver regardless, he noted.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Baronjutter posted:

Yeah, most all my friends ended up moving to Vancouver over the last decade because it has even more career options than Victoria. None of them are poo poo heads, none of them own anything, all their friends are pretty cool. Just a nice hoard of 30-something working class renters trying to get by in an ok city with a lot of lovely property owners.

I'm sure if you went to any city and mostly only interacted with yuppie condo owners or "upper middle class" suburban equity builders you'd be mostly interacting with lovely people.

Because generalizing all people who are sufficiently financially independent to own property isn't just as lovely as any other sweeping generalization about a group of people.

A fine welcome back post. I was worried for a minute that your cool down might shake off some of the crazy.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Because generalizing all people who are sufficiently financially independent to own property isn't just as lovely as any other sweeping generalization about a group of people.

No sorry, wealthism is not "just as lovely" as racism.

eat the rich

Saltin
Aug 20, 2003
Don't touch

Rutibex posted:

No sorry, wealthism is not "just as lovely" as racism.

eat the rich

This is correct - they are different. Racism is generally rooted in fear while hating people with dough is mostly jealousy.

Danny LaFever
Dec 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Wynand posted:

Like when exactly did those crazy 35+ year mortgage terms happen? I vaguely recall maybe 2008? But the Vancouver price increase was already picking up steam all the way back in 2003 or so.

I bought my place in Fall of 2007 and the bank was insistent on a 35 year mortgage but I ended up with a 25 year anyways. And it was a prime -0.1% rate as well.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Saltin posted:

This is correct - they are different. Racism is generally rooted in fear while hating people with dough is mostly jealousy.

No, it's envy. Can't be jealous of what you never had in the first place.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

Gosh, it got like a Christian morality play in here. The rich suck, it's not envy, deal with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
If we pretend that the economy isn't zero sum (and especially that municipal housing stores aren't zero sum), then sure, it's just envy!