Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.

Saltin posted:

It's just boilerplate financial advice. Not worth reading any more into it than that. In a climate where most people use a TFSA as an actual savings account, if at all, paying the mortgage off early is a fine strategy. The truth is that most people take a mortgage that equates to the maximum payment they can afford, so it's moot anyhow.

TLDR - people are idiots.

I'm not surprised by this, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't prioritising my spare money allocations incorrectly. And wanted to call out some shoddy finance journalism.

Obviously most people would be better off putting money onto their mortgage than onto a luxury vehicle loan, so there's that. Us BFC min-maxers may find better places for the money though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
So, who's in energy here? I know I am (through my advisor).

https://businessincanada.com/2014/07/30/suncor-energy-q2-earnings-results/

quote:

Suncor Energy (SU), Canada’s largest energy company, released its second-quarter results at 10:00pm (EDT).

The company reported operating earnings of $0.77 per share and revenues of $10.65 billion, both of which came in below analysts’ expectations.

The miss on the bottom line was quite noteworthy, as the consensus estimate was for operating earnings of $0.97 per share.

In the first quarter, Suncor posted a massive beat on earnings.

“We continue to generate strong cash flow quarter after quarter,” said President and CEO Steve Williams. “In the second quarter, we took advantage of strong upstream pricing to generate $2.4 billion of cash flow from operations.”

Suncor took a hefty impairment charge of $718 million related to its stake in the Joslyn mining project. The development of this mine has been delayed indefinitely due to input cost inflation that put margins on the $11-billion project under considerable pressure. Additional after-tax writedowns pertaining to the company’s Libyan assets and oil sands assets deemed unsuitable for further development totalled $520 million.

After taking these one-time charges into account, Suncor’s net earnings came in at $211 million for the three-month period ending June 30, a decline of 69 percent compared to Q2 2013.

The vertically-integrated energy giant also boosted its quarterly dividend by 22 percent to $0.28 per share and cut its full-year projection for capital expenditures from $7.8 billion to $6.8 billion.

Shares of Suncor are up 24.5 percent year to date.

I think this is really significant, because Canada's economy is otherwise poo poo except for Alberta's herculean growth.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Meh. I've most divested into index etfs but still have Suncor as an individual equity in my standard investment account. As of today still showing +42% from my buy and even up today. I guess write downs appease the investors. :iiam:

slidebite fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Jul 31, 2014

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Questrade seems to have changed some things.

It looks like there are now commissions on ETF purchases (surprise! Unless I read something incorrectly on an order because their site still advertises free purchases) and you can only buy and sell in multiples of the board lot amount whereas before you could buy or sell any amount.

So, how do I find out the board lot amount for certain ETFs? It doesn't seem to be 100. And if it is 100 how do I buy/sell, say, ten shares?

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Grouco posted:

I currently live in Alberta, and will have $48,600 taxable income this year. I'm enrolled in my companies ESPP for a 10% gross contribution, with 50% matching, for a total monthly contribution equalling $562.50. The ESPP purchases are made in an RRSP. The only options for the ESPP are RRSP or taxable.

Obviously since it's an RRSP, it is more tax efficient to contribute at a higher tax bracket than you will be making withdrawls. My tax rate is 32% for over $43,953 up to $87,907, and I expect to be in this bracket for the next few years.

Am I correct in thinking that I do not want to claim RRSP deductions to bring me below $43,953? In other words, should I make sure my 2014 taxable income stays at $43,954 or above? I can change my contribution location and % once per quarter, but it seems like such a pain to track the contributions and modify the %, or direct them into a taxable account, just to keep my taxable income at the desirable level. I'm thinking it would be easier just to let some of the deductions carry over to the next year....

Does any of this make sense? I know the gains I'm making on the shares through the match and capital gains far outweigh any minute changes in tax efficiency, but I'd at least like to make it as efficient as possible.

Afaik, if you make the contribution, you need to claim the deduction. Depending on your salary growth expectations, you could make an argument for leaving the ESPP in your taxable account and then using the RRSP contribution in later years when your income is higher, however you'd need to assume your income grows pretty quickly for it to be worth it.

Kal Torak
Jul 17, 2003

When Giles sends me on a mission, he says "please". And afterwards I get a cookie.

tuyop posted:

It looks like there are now commissions on ETF purchases (surprise! Unless I read something incorrectly on an order because their site still advertises free purchases) and you can only buy and sell in multiples of the board lot amount whereas before you could buy or sell any amount.

So, how do I find out the board lot amount for certain ETFs? It doesn't seem to be 100. And if it is 100 how do I buy/sell, say, ten shares?

Not sure what you are seeing as I was able to buy 1 share of ZEB with zero commission.

Aagar
Mar 30, 2006

E/N Gestapo
I am talking to a mod right now about getting you probated/banned/gassed
So NewsTalk 1010 was discussing the new ORPP being rolled out by the OLP (2017 is the start date), and just making GBS threads all over it. "Forcing people to save" (how terrible!), "People need that money for gas and stuff" (... okay?), and just treating it like it will be a huge hardship while we are being further coddled by the nanny state.

Between the numbers they were giving and looking up a few articles, I have been able to glean (and please correct me if I'm wrong):

- if your employer does not have a private retirement saving plan in place, people earning <$90,000 will be contributing 1.9% of their income, to be matched by the employer.
- the plan intends to pay out 15% of your income/year when you retire.

So, using a $45,000/year income, you would be expected to pay $788/year (or $66/mo) into the plan. The argument "but poor people spend all their income!" seems moot, because those people earning less (say, $20,000/year) would only contribute $33/mo. Which could still be a hardship, but they were using the $66/mo as a catchall for everyone without considering salary.

Now, assuming someone was 20 and made $45,000 for 40 years, they would pay in $788 x 40 = $31,520 total. The employer would match them, so it would be $63,040 for your working life.

Taking 15% of that $45,000, you'd get $6,750/year from the government (on top of CPP and maybe OAS). That would mean, after 4.7 years, you'd get out what you put in (I believe they said it would be inflation adjusted, so everything in real dollars).

I dunno - sounds like a great deal to me as a contributor? I can obviously see the downside for businesses, and I'm not sure how the math works for the pension to be paying out so much for so little invested by the average contributor, but assuming it doesn't lead to massive layoffs or the whole pension going tits up, won't it overall be a good benefit?

I've been lurking a while and have been using the advice to get my investments sorted (I wish I had found this thread 8 years ago, but can't change the past so it's time to double down on investing enough for retirement and putting the money in funds that don't hose you with big MERs). Once I've got everything under my control I'm sure I'll be in looking for advice.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Kal Torak posted:

Not sure what you are seeing as I was able to buy 1 share of ZEB with zero commission.

Yeah it's pretty strange how this is happening. I think I was trying to make the wrong kind of trade or something.

What were the specifics of your order? Just a market buy?

Kal Torak
Jul 17, 2003

When Giles sends me on a mission, he says "please". And afterwards I get a cookie.

tuyop posted:

Yeah it's pretty strange how this is happening. I think I was trying to make the wrong kind of trade or something.

What were the specifics of your order? Just a market buy?

Limit at 24.00 as I didn't actually want the trade to execute (it was trading 24.20 at the time). But it was approved and went through to the exchange.

Kal Torak
Jul 17, 2003

Aagar posted:

So NewsTalk 1010 was discussing the new ORPP being rolled out by the OLP (2017 is the start date), and just making GBS threads all over it. "Forcing people to save" (how terrible!), "People need that money for gas and stuff" (... okay?), and just treating it like it will be a huge hardship while we are being further coddled by the nanny state.

Between the numbers they were giving and looking up a few articles, I have been able to glean (and please correct me if I'm wrong):

- if your employer does not have a private retirement saving plan in place, people earning <$90,000 will be contributing 1.9% of their income, to be matched by the employer.

So, using a $45,000/year income, you would be expected to pay $788/year (or $66/mo) into the plan. The argument "but poor people spend all their income!" seems moot, because those people earning less (say, $20,000/year) would only contribute $33/mo. Which could still be a hardship, but they were using the $66/mo as a catchall for everyone without considering salary.

Now, assuming someone was 20 and made $45,000 for 40 years, they would pay in $788 x 40 = $31,520 total. The employer would match them, so it would be $63,040 for your working life.

Taking 15% of that $45,000, you'd get $6,750/year from the government (on top of CPP and maybe OAS). That would mean, after 4.7 years, you'd get out what you put in (I believe they said it would be inflation adjusted, so everything in real dollars).

I dunno - sounds like a great deal to me as a contributor? I can obviously see the downside for businesses, and I'm not sure how the math works for the pension to be paying out so much for so little invested by the average contributor, but assuming it doesn't lead to massive layoffs or the whole pension going tits up, won't it overall be a good benefit?

I've been lurking a while and have been using the advice to get my investments sorted (I wish I had found this thread 8 years ago, but can't change the past so it's time to double down on investing enough for retirement and putting the money in funds that don't hose you with big MERs). Once I've got everything under my control I'm sure I'll be in looking for advice.

Personally, I hate all forced retirement or savings plans. People should be responsible for making sure they aren't broke in retirement. I wish even the CPP were optional.

Unfortunately, people are stupid and I understand why this stuff is required. I just wish I could opt out.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

tuyop posted:

If that's the case, aren't they kind of shooting themselves in the foot? There are now quite a few decent discount brokerages to use in Canada with flat $<10 trades.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Kal Torak posted:

Personally, I hate all forced retirement or savings plans. People should be responsible for making sure they aren't broke in retirement. I wish even the CPP were optional.

Unfortunately, people are stupid and I understand why this stuff is required. I just wish I could opt out.

I totally agree. I'd be fuming if I lived in Ontario.

Aagar
Mar 30, 2006

E/N Gestapo
I am talking to a mod right now about getting you probated/banned/gassed

Lexicon posted:

I totally agree. I'd be fuming if I lived in Ontario.

I am now (I think).

I just ran my hypothetical $45,000/year employee to their logical conclusion (starting at age 20 and working until 65):

A) Pay $800/year, get $6,750/year after retirement.

B) Invest $800/year (ETFs). Over 45 years expect 5% real return (after inflation). That $800/year becomes $127,760 (if I did the math correctly, compounding yearly for simplicity). If you assume they withdraw $6,750, but are still earning 4% on their investment, they would still have $60,000 of the principal at age 90.

I don't know - all you can say for option A is that it's safe? You might hit a bear market when you retire and lose a lot of your principal in option B. Otherwise the obvious choice is option B.

I'm almost through reading "The Four Pillars" and have also read Carrack's "Guide to What's Good, Bad and Downright Awful in Canadian Investments Today" and a few other (less memorable) books on the subject. I still stumble on the math, so correct me if I screwed something up in option B.

Kal Torak
Jul 17, 2003

slidebite posted:

If that's the case, aren't they kind of shooting themselves in the foot? There are now quite a few decent discount brokerages to use in Canada with flat $<10 trades.

Right. Which is why they wouldn't do that and haven't done that.

Tuyop shouldn't be trading when drunk, that's all.

reflex
Aug 9, 2009

I'd rather laugh with the mudders than cry with the saints. The mudders are much more fun. Hoorah.

Aagar posted:

At the surface it just sounds like a supplemental provincial CPP. Government takes money now in the expectation you'll get money later.

I would love to opt out of CPP and EI though.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

reflex posted:

At the surface it just sounds like a supplemental provincial CPP. Government takes money now in the expectation you'll get money later.

I would love to opt out of CPP and EI though.

EI is trickier because it's an insurance scheme and there's more of a public interest in having it (I still don't like it though), but for CPP it seems uncontroversial to me that opt out should be allowed for those who can show they are saving otherwise. Especially since their costs are approaching 1%. I can invest for myself and my family way cheaper than that.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
You can opt out of EI I think, I don't pay into it and I don't receive it.

I didn't know either until I paid a year's worth of EI premiums to CRA when doing my tax returns and got a cheque back for the amount I paid along with a letter explaining that I wasn't registered for EI, and if I wanted to I could register, but didn't have to.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Kal Torak posted:

Right. Which is why they wouldn't do that and haven't done that.

Tuyop shouldn't be trading when drunk, that's all.

Well it WAS like 5:45 in the morning when I was trying to do this, so I'll try again when awake.

Edit: oh god why did I short google?!

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Welp, just finished maxing out my TFSA from zero in about 7 months. The transactions just posted and markets are hella down so it's time to buy buY BUY! :toot::woop::toot::woop:

Kal Torak
Jul 17, 2003

HookShot posted:

You can opt out of EI I think, I don't pay into it and I don't receive it.

I didn't know either until I paid a year's worth of EI premiums to CRA when doing my tax returns and got a cheque back for the amount I paid along with a letter explaining that I wasn't registered for EI, and if I wanted to I could register, but didn't have to.

That's only if you are self-employed.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Kal Torak posted:

That's only if you are self-employed.

Oh ok, yeah, I am so that explains it. I figured it was something anyone could do.

Kal Torak
Jul 17, 2003

HookShot posted:

Oh ok, yeah, I am so that explains it. I figured it was something anyone could do.

No, there's an employer portion as well at 1.4x. They don't want to give up those premiums.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Kal Torak posted:

No, there's an employer portion as well at 1.4x. They don't want to give up those premiums.

Interesting, I thought self employed people paid both premiums, like we do with CPP.

Kal Torak
Jul 17, 2003

HookShot posted:

Interesting, I thought self employed people paid both premiums, like we do with CPP.

Nope, self-employed don't pay the employer portion for EI when they opt in. Also, once you claim any kind of benefit, you can never again opt-out.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Kal Torak posted:

Nope, self-employed don't pay the employer portion for EI when they opt in. Also, once you claim any kind of benefit, you can never again opt-out.

Oh ok, yeah, that second part makes sense since I imagine otherwise you'd have a ton of people trying to screw the system. I would have thought self employeders pay both portions though, interesting that they don't.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

If anyone is curious, RBC Direct Investing gives you a poo poo-ton of free trades for new accounts. I've done at least 20 transactions with them between 5 accounts and have had every single trade fee refunded at the end of the month.

Also been told I'm now a member of Royal Circle (whatever the hell that means) but gives us preferred discounted rates through their insurance division. Might get a couple home and auto quotes just to see how good they are.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

Kal Torak posted:

Therein lies the problem, though. Canadians are notoriously bad at saving money for the long-term. Most people I've spoken with all rely on CPP/OAS as their main source of retirement income. This is really bad because it's intended to supplement retirement income, not replace it. And if you have the audacity to suggest long term savings they roll their eyes at you and tell you that the equity in their primary residence will (somehow) fund their retirement. It gets even more ridiculous- a recent poll suggests that ~30% of Canadians consider winning the lottery for their retirement plans.

If Canadians are made responsible for saving for their own retirement, you'll have millions of broke, impoverished retirees who'll be on social assistance. I know how cynical this sounds, but most people simply can't be trusted to save their money in any sort of structured, disciplined way. It's either forced savings, or we watch millions of Canadians go on welfare.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Aug 2, 2014

Kal Torak
Jul 17, 2003

melon cat posted:

Therein lies the problem, though. Canadians are notoriously bad at saving money for the long-term. Most people I've spoken with all rely on CPP/OAS as their main source of retirement income. This is really bad because it's intended to supplement retirement income, not replace it. And if you have the audacity to suggest long term savings they roll their eyes at you and tell you that the equity in their primary residence will (somehow) fund their retirement. It gets even more ridiculous- a recent poll suggests that ~30% of Canadians consider winning the lottery for their retirement plans.

If Canadians are made responsible for saving for their own retirement, you'll have millions of broke, impoverished retirees who'll be on social assistance. I know how cynical this sounds, but most people simply can't be trusted to save their money in any sort of structured, disciplined way. It's either forced savings, or we watch millions of Canadians go on welfare.

I agree. Which is why I said people are stupid and I understand why these plans are required. You deleted that part from my quote though. :)

Ervin K
Nov 4, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
So I just got my first job in the field I studied for (also my first above minimum wage job) and am considering putting money into ETFs with Vanguard. Do I need to be a Canadian citizen to do this? I'm only a resident (and US citizen) atm.

Ervin K fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Aug 3, 2014

toe knee hand
Jun 20, 2012

HANSEN ON A BREAKAWAY

HONEY BADGER DON'T SCORE
Only residency matters. I'm Canadian but I didn't get contribution room in 2012 because I was living and working in the UK from Sept 2011 to Sept 2013. You get the full contribution room for years in which you were only resident for part of the year, though, it's not pro-rated.

Ervin K
Nov 4, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Eh, nevermind.

Ervin K fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Aug 3, 2014

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

tuyop posted:

Ok, so attempt 2.

Looks like there's a commission on both these types of buys. VCN is an ETF, so what gives?

And I've bought ZRE without a commission before so I don't know what gives there.

Kal Torak
Jul 17, 2003

No idea. Ask them.

And why are the commission amounts so small?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Kal Torak posted:

No idea. Ask them.

And why are the commission amounts so small?

They're ECN fees!

Dude from Questrade posted:

Thank you for contacting Questrade, I will be happy to help you with this.

You wont be charged commision on ETF purchases. This is due to ECN fees. In general, ECN fees are charged whenever an order removes liquidity from the market. These fees are charged by the ECN, not by Questrade. We simply pass on the costs.

The exact fee schedule is dependent on the exchange that the security trades on and the ECN used. The prices are based on a per-share basis and are charged on orders that remove liquidity. The full schedule can be found here:

http://questrade.com/pricing/exchange_ecn_fees

You will be able to see the charges on your execution tab > edit column > Check off ECN fee.

Orders in pre/post market need to be in board lot size. So for example in your case since the stock price was more than $1, it needs to be in increments of 100 shares.

So yeah, I don't know why my orders of like 30 shares are removing liquidity but this is obviously something I should learn more about!

Kal Torak
Jul 17, 2003

tuyop posted:

They're ECN fees!

So yeah, I don't know why my orders of like 30 shares are removing liquidity but this is obviously something I should learn more about!

Ah, yes. That was discussed earlier in the thread. Just don't buy on the ask. Put in a limit below the market and wait to get filled to avoid those.

Grouco
Jan 13, 2005
I wouldn't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member.

Kal Torak posted:

Ah, yes. That was discussed earlier in the thread. Just don't buy on the ask. Put in a limit below the market and wait to get filled to avoid those.

And watch your order sit as the stock goes up all day.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Grouco posted:

And watch your order sit as the stock goes up all day.

Not for this past week :v:

I checked my transaction history and it looks like they've always charged the ECN fees is, now its just obvious and listed as part of the transaction price.

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.
Ahh yes I think there was a regulation change that forces them to show such things now. TD had a warning about that recently.

Rhobot Mk. II
Jan 15, 2008
Mk. II: Bigger, longer, uncut robo-cock.
So I just set up a TD Direct Investing account to manage my TFSA myself using TD e-Series funds. My asset allocation calls for 20% bonds, and I was wondering if you guys had a recommendation for a fund. Should I be sticking to domestic bond funds like the e-series TDB909 to avoid currency-related risks, or would it make more sense to have a total bond market exposure using a fund like iShares Global Inflation-Linked Bond Fund?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Rhobot Mk. II posted:

So I just set up a TD Direct Investing account to manage my TFSA myself using TD e-Series funds. My asset allocation calls for 20% bonds, and I was wondering if you guys had a recommendation for a fund. Should I be sticking to domestic bond funds like the e-series TDB909 to avoid currency-related risks, or would it make more sense to have a total bond market exposure using a fund like iShares Global Inflation-Linked Bond Fund?

http://canadiancouchpotato.com/model-portfolios/

Trying to hold international bond funds runs in to currency hedging issues. TDB909 is probably fine for your needs.