Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Other posted:

Why bother with someone like Paddles when you could rep the Dino Papacy and behold the greatness of Grimstone?

I totally forgot Grimstone existed and now I feel a need to pick the dino combiner team up. Actually, I should just get more Power Core Combiners period. And the jungle tank add-on thing that's made from The Fallen's limbs. I just have the Combaticons and Constructicons. I had the Aerialbots but sold them because they really sucked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

ForeverSmug posted:

lol taint reaper you are fuckin weird

There's nothing wrong with waiting for perfectly OK molds to be repainted and retooled as better and more interesting characters. :agesilaus:

Not only that but all the movie stuff ever has always been discounted at 5 below for 5 bucks each. They may not stock leaders, but I've picked up voyagers from there for 5 bucks.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Jul 31, 2014

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

The Taint Reaper posted:

There's nothing wrong with waiting for perfectly OK molds to be repainted as better and more interesting characters. :agesilaus:

The weird thing is your obsession with, in recorded instances, information as trivial as the printing on an instruction sheet, with regards to your toy-collecting habits.

I mean, we're all weird in here, but there are kinds of weird, and yours is a distinct one.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Phy posted:

The post just before the one you quoted, unless you've got me on ignore.

Nope, just a consequence of jumping straight to the last post :shobon:

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

DoctorWhat posted:

The weird thing is your obsession with, in recorded instances, information as trivial as the printing on an instruction sheet, with regards to your toy-collecting habits.

I mean, we're all weird in here, but there are kinds of weird, and yours is a distinct one.

I made a blood oath to never buy movie toys again after HTFD. I mean that was a good post movie line and none of the original molds like Seapray/Deepdive were crap and it had the best versions of all the previous ROTF figures. The ROTF figures were still out and at discount so I wound up getting stuff like Banzaitron with Bludgeon for free.

I'm really waiting to see what the platinum Dinobot exclusives look like before picking a team of Dinobots up. Mind you they have a bunch of options to choose from either the Evolutions packs, the original deluxes, or a bunch of upcoming releases. I wanna get the Beast Wars Dinobot repaints because those look too cool to not have, but they're not out yet.

I've still yet to get a Voyager Optimus for that same reason since he's coming out in everything.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Jul 31, 2014

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

The Taint Reaper posted:

I made a blood oath to never buy movie toys again after HTFD. I mean that was a good post movie line and none of the original molds like Seapray/Deepdive were crap and it had the best versions of all the previous ROTF figures. The ROTF figures were still out and at discount so I wound up getting stuff like Banzaitron with Bludgeon for free.

I'm really waiting to see what the platinum Dinobot exclusives look like before picking a team of Dinobots up. Mind you they have a bunch of options to choose from either the Evolutions packs, the original deluxes, or a bunch of upcoming releases.

I've still yet to get a Voyager Optimus for that same reason since he's coming out in everything.

Making a blood oath about action figures is a silly thing to do, is all I'm saying. Also you've almost definitely missed out on cool poo poo like DOTM Skyhammer, Leader Ironhide, et cetera.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

DoctorWhat posted:

Making a blood oath about action figures is a silly thing to do, is all I'm saying. Also you've almost definitely missed out on cool poo poo like DOTM Skyhammer, Leader Ironhide, et cetera.

I've got leader ironhide, and Skyhammer is being repainted as Voyager Drift. I Like the drift version better because it comes in actual colors instead of just gray/white plastic. And it probably won't be the last we see of the mold because it was repainted as a Botcon exclusive.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Jul 31, 2014

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

The Taint Reaper posted:

I've got leader ironhide, and Skyhammer is being repainted as Voyager Drift. I Like the drift version better because it comes in actual colors instead of just gray/white plastic. And it probably won't be the last we see of the mold because it was repainted as a Botcon exclusive.

Drift is a movie toy, GOTCHA!

But seriously whatevs, I only bought like 10 movie toys post-HFTD myself so I'm largely in the same boat as you.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Shockwave was the only DOTM toy I got then I later sold him. I did get AoE Grimlock, Scorn, Slug and Strafe in a moment of weakness... or two. Or three.

Oh, I got that dragon trailer DOTM Optimus, too. Because he has a dragon on his trailer and turns into the final boss of like a Mega Man Zero game or something. Also he was like $30 on amazon. He has the Moonlight Butterfly \ humanity enslavement mode.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Post-HFTD Movie Toys I own:

Amazon Jetwing Leader-Class Optimus Prime

DOTM Leader Ironhide

DOTM VOY Skyhammer (got on clearence for :10bux:, best TJ MAXX ever!

DOTM DLX Sideswipe (Xmas gift)

DOTM DLX Starscream

AoE DLX Scorn

AoE DLX Slug

AoE VOY Evasion Prime

AoE VOY Hound

and that's it.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Everyone should have an AoE Hound. He's just so FUN.

And ROTF Mindwipe. And NEST Lockdown. And RTS Lugnut. And the motherfuckin' DINOPOPE.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Blackheart posted:

And ROTF Mindwipe. And NEST Lockdown. And RTS Lugnut. And the motherfuckin' DINOPOPE.

I could never find the Dinopope, but I have all of those other guys! Mindwipe's got a crack in his ankle joint now though so I leave him in stealth bomber mode.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Blackheart posted:

I don't really think of Lockdown, Lugnut or the power core combiners to be movie toys even though I guess they technically are. I have those dudes along with Bludgeon, Breacher, Tomahawk, Brimstone and Seaspray mixed in with my classics toys which should drive Taint Reaper nuts. I had Mindwipe and later sold him.

I also have that little silver movie Prime that came in the two-pack with the FoC Grimlock from target.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
ROTF Mindwipe came out as RTS Strafe, I liked him better because he had proper colors.

Which is another reason why I wait for the movie lines to pass abit before picking up a few of them. The colors are too muted and their head sculpts are usually ugly with the exception of the non-grimlock movie Dinobots.

I mean everything looks better in loud/bright colors and proper blocky face sculpts. I mean the purple in the upcoming Menasor is really purple, the cars are really red, yellow, white, and blue. And there's probably going to be a garish G2 version which makes it even better.

I've got a love for the PCC figures too, they were always 5 dollars for the 5 packs and 2 dollars for the 2 packs. I got the entire line dirt cheap and they also combined which made them better.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

I goddamn loved the ROTF-onwards line all the way up to the switch to DOTM. Some of those transformation processes... :heysexy: And the aesthetics never really bothered me, though the TF:Prime visual design concepts are easily my favorite approach in the 30 years of the franchise.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Yeah I was just listing some figures that I consider must-own, I didn't even consider them as movie figures.

My Lugnut is chilling with my generations figures, near deluxe Megatron as he should be. Also since there's an "official" movie Lockdown now, NEST Lockdown goes with the indeterminate-IDW-ified figures now. Tomahawk has too much of a classics face to really blend in with other movie bots. Brimstone and Chopsaw are just really cool scout bikes that blend in with other small bots, like scout Breakdown.

I always liked Mindwipe but could never find him since they didn't bring that wave over here. I got RTS Strafe much later as consolation but it wasn't enough, luckily I could find a Mindwipe in super good condition for a cheap price recently so I could finally, finally get my hands on him (and he currently teams up with GDO Laserbeak). Some day I'll be able to find some version of the Breacher mold to finally own one.

I loved most of the PCC line too (since I got them on generous discounts which are rare where I live), exceptions being Skyburst and Mudslinger which are pretty weak -though mudslinger at least has good drones. Grimstone is by far the best of the ones I own though (I don't have the last wave with Skyhammer, Heavytread and Undertow)

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

The firetruck PCC Torso whatsisname is kickin' rad as long as you give him a decent gun and only use his super-mode head. Give the axe to WFC Prime.

I picked up a bunch of PCC 5- and 2- packs on discount and they're kinda fun but I've packed most of them away now, it's really just whatsisname that gets any playtime.

And, of course, Lugnut, Seaspray, Lockdown, and Breacher are absolute treasures - though I wouldn't scoff at a 3rd party upgrade kit for Breacher to give him thigh-swivels. It's the only frustrating factor with him.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

The firetruck is named Smolder and that's an awesome name for a firetruck decepticon. His axe buddy is Chospter which is almost as awesome. They should make a toy of Flatline so there'd be more decepticons who turn into emergency vehicles.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

In my headcanon, Smolder only ever appears with his big ol' super-mode head and behaves exactly like the Pyro from Team Fortress 2.

... give me two days and a camera.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Hasbro needs to fold movie-style Barricade into the next show's canon, because a Decepticon cop car is something too good to leave wallowing in the poo poo-mire that is the movies.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

I can't help but see this as Snarl really confusing Sludge because he keeps talking about plastics.

taichara
May 9, 2013

c:\>erase c:\reality.sys copy a:\gigacity\*.* c:

Gammatron 64 posted:

In theory the new Fansproject one is Slapper who is an Ankylosaurus. That's way cooler than Paddles. He's not even a dinosaur!

Neither is Swoop. Pterosaur =/= dinosaur, even if both are ornithodirans. :science:

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

Blackheart posted:

(I don't have the last wave with Skyhammer, Heavytread and Undertow)

Dude. Duuuude. You need an Undertow. I mean I don't want to overhype or whatever but dude. You need an Undertow.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

DoctorWhat posted:

I could never find the Dinopope, but I have all of those other guys! Mindwipe's got a crack in his ankle joint now though so I leave him in stealth bomber mode.

Yours did that too, huh? I ended up getting a second one, which I later gave to a buddy along with Skystalker and Blackout. (Blackout is the guy he liked, I felt like I ought to give him a couple of good ones as well.)

E: Yeah, for someone who was so prominent in the advertising for the first movie, to the point my fiancee knows about the bad guy cop car, they've done dick all with Barricade.

Phy fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Jul 31, 2014

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Why cookie Rocket posted:

Dude. Duuuude. You need an Undertow. I mean I don't want to overhype or whatever but dude. You need an Undertow.

I know! I just couldn't find them for an acceptable price, but someday I might. The line really picked up in it's last days.

Phy posted:

Yours did that too, huh? I ended up getting a second one, which I later gave to a buddy along with Skystalker and Blackout.

What part cracked, exactly? Just to be extra careful with mine, even though Strafe has been fine all this time. I didn't even know the mold had ankle side tilts until recently since it's not mentioned anywhere.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Blackheart posted:

I know! I just couldn't find them for an acceptable price, but someday I might. The line really picked up in it's last days.

What part cracked, exactly? Just to be extra careful with mine, even though Strafe has been fine all this time. I didn't even know the mold had ankle side tilts until recently since it's not mentioned anywhere.

On mine, it's the green-beige chicken-leg-ankle bit on the left leg, right at the joint. It's a hairline fracture but it's all the way through, making that joint really loose. I think you might be all right as long as you don't abuse the forward/backward and tilt joints too badly.

Like, that bat mode everyone is always murmuring about, which asks you to use the ankle tilt to make clearence to bend the foot all the way up against the front of the shins? DON'T DO THAT.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

Blackheart posted:

If you don't immediately buy AoE Hound when you see him, you are not a Transformers fan. I'm just going to put my foot down on that, just not a TF fan. Not even a weird tick of only buying generations figures that aren't movie labeled can save you from that. And I'm calling out James Roberts, you got an AoE Hound, buddy? No? Might as well be writing for New 52.

That said, I don't have an RTS Lugnut and am an embarrassment to the fandom. Every day I kneel and whip myself crying in shame to Primus. :pray:

(so like, Hound is cool, Taint, you should get him even if you don't like the movie stuff. I can see passing on the dinobots cause they're kind of hampered by their own gimmicks or transformations.)

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

I can't stand Hound's wiggle-woggle forearms.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Why hello there, didn't expect to see you at work!

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

AoE Hound is unreasonably satisfying and fun, but the tolerances on mine's weapon storage and combination ports are decidedly uncooperative. I can get them all on their in vehicle mode and they'll stay, though it takes some finagling - but I can't even begin to imagine how to stow it all on the robot mode.

What a satisfying transformation, though, despite its low step-count. The way the chest panels line up with the arms and legs into a solid-looking-and-feeling truck is so cool.

Knormal posted:

I can't stand Hound's wiggle-woggle forearms.

Hound's forearms are great.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

I don't mind simple transformations when they're as satisfying and intuitive as Hound's. Everything snaps together solidly for truck mode. But yeah mine's shotguns have stress marks at the handle joints which apparently happens on every copy. Haven't read about breakages or anything though.

DoctorWhat posted:

On mine, it's the green-beige chicken-leg-ankle bit on the left leg, right at the joint. It's a hairline fracture but it's all the way through, making that joint really loose. I think you might be all right as long as you don't abuse the forward/backward and tilt joints too badly.

Like, that bat mode everyone is always murmuring about, which asks you to use the ankle tilt to make clearence to bend the foot all the way up against the front of the shins? DON'T DO THAT.

Oh! I figured it'd be that part. Oh well, since it's screwed on both sides I guess if it ever comes down to that I can give him an ankle transplant from Strafe (I don't do the Bat fan-mode and am very careful overall though).

Anora posted:

That said, I don't have an RTS Lugnut and am an embarrassment to the fandom. Every day I kneel and whip myself crying in shame to Primus. :pray:

I, too, suffered the lack of RTS Lugnut in my life for ages. Thankfully I was blessed to find him last year.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

Captain Invictus posted:

Why hello there, didn't expect to see you at work!

I see your store also does not follow the "this side up" directions.

Hounds forearms are great, and I hated them when I first saw them, the rubber for the ammo belts was a great idea.

Doctor, Hounds weapons are weird in robot mode, try this: put the flamethrower pistols with the handles facing forward on the hips, pull out the handles to the shotguns and point them down, and just brute force the handle of the gatling gun into the holes above his tire, it will sit at an angle. The pistols and knife are basic though.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I work at UPS. :v:

I flipped it on its side to hide the shipping address and get a better angle. But orientation arrows don't matter unless it's a liquid, no.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Jul 31, 2014

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

I like Masterpiece G2 Sideswipe. His eyes are hidden from most angles so with his grimace and weapons he looks like the Soldier from Team Fortress 2.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Star Saber's shaping up rather nicely:

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Sentinel Red posted:

Star Saber's shaping up rather nicely:

Is that a Masterpiece figure with nesting super modes, Takara? Oh, you know exactly what I'm all about. :heysexy:

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

taichara posted:

Neither is Swoop. Pterosaur =/= dinosaur, even if both are ornithodirans. :science:

Thank you/darn you for posting this because I was gonna.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

taichara posted:

I know. Swoop gets a pass though because he was always there and pterosaurs are cool (pterosaurs and dinosaurs are also both archosaurs along with crocs and birds). Paddles came from some fanfic and is not cool. What's he going to do if they're having a land battle, flop around like a seal? His name doesn't even start with an "S"! Paddles is lame.

Dimetrodon is also not a dinosaur and went extinct millions of years before they came around and is more closely related to mammals but I would be cool with one as a dinobot because Dimetrodons are cool. And if you really want to do an aquatic dinobot, do an Ichthyosaur or ever better, Liopleurodon, the badass of the Jurassic Seas. Paddles looks too much like Sludge. One of the 3rd party figures is slude but with flippers instead of legs even!

But if you're gonna give me new G1 dinobots, I'd like an Ankylosaurus, Spinosaurus and Deinonychus, please. Bring on Slapper, Scorn and Slash.

DoctorWhat posted:

Is that a Masterpiece figure with nesting super modes, Takara? Oh, you know exactly what I'm all about. :heysexy:

I'm still kinda salty that Star Saber gets inner robots but Ultra Magnus doesn't. I'm never gonna let that go. You're just rubbing that in my face, aren't you Mr. Saber?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Gammatron 64 posted:

Paddles came from some fanfic

Perhaps the same could be said of all robutts

Gammatron 64 posted:

Paddles is lame.

Still true.

Gammatron 64 posted:

I'm still kinda salty that Star Saber gets inner robots but Ultra Magnus doesn't. I'm never gonna let that go. You're just rubbing that in my face, aren't you Mr. Saber?

Star Saber deserves it more than Magnus does, to be fair, especially since any MP Magnus inner robot would just be Honkymus Prime, who only appeared in Dreamwave fiction and is better left forgotten.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

DoctorWhat posted:

Star Saber deserves it more than Magnus does, to be fair, especially since any MP Magnus inner robot would just be Honkymus Prime, who only appeared in Dreamwave fiction and is better left forgotten.

Hey, Honkymus Prime was in the original toy. I thought there was a little white Optimus inside him way before the crappy Dreamwave comics ever existed. And they've made a bunch of white Prime toys called Ultra Magnus. And Minimus Ambus in the IDW comics is totally a reference to how Ultra Magnus had a smaller guy inside. I like to think that the original guy in the Ultra Magnus suit in the IDW comics was a dude who looked like a white Optimus.

Also in my dumb headcannon I like to believe that IDW Star Saber is also a guy in a suit like Ultra Magnus and the original Saber wasn't a crazy religious zealot.

Powermaster Prime is also super cool and I figured Optimus' upgrade had something to do with Ultra Magnus. What I'm saying is I like super modes.