Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Uranium 235
Oct 12, 2004

Hollis Brown posted:

It's going to be in Schenectady. I am sick to death of apartments noise and want a garage for the winter so I am looking at more expensive options like a rental house.
That's not a very expensive part of New York. The cost of living may be higher than where you are now in Texas, but $68,000 should go a long way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

etalian posted:

Not really I would argue that sticking in the same company and stagnating is worse than changing jobs every few years. Not to mention if the multiple jobs gives you a skillset that
allows you hit the ground running with minimal training or oversight from more senior employees.

In today's business world places pretty accept that employment for life is a thing in the past.

Not being employed for life is one thing. Someone seen as a job hopper because they never stick around is totally different. It costs a great deal of time and money to train someone into a new company's systems and culture, regardless of the experience they come in with. If a company can't count on you being around long enough to actually see the benefits of that training they won't bother. There are industries for which it is more acceptable than others, but it certainly bears being cautious.

swenblack
Jan 14, 2004

more friedman units posted:

Okay, so I'm in a frustrating job offer situation. I've got an MA and have worked at a federal agency for the past 4 years. It has extremely toxic management and a horrible institutional culture; it's ranked near the bottom of the Employee Viewpoint Survey that almost all federal agencies take. It's become clear that I've hit a ceiling and I don't want to spend a whole career where I'm at. I've been looking to make a jump to a different agency or possibly a private sector job.

I saw a posting with GAO for their 2-year development program. I'm overqualified for it, but it fit my background perfectly and the work sounds MUCH more interesting than my current job. They use a pay band system rather than the standard GS scale most agencies use and the first pay band range was huge ($43,000-$88,000). I make around $75,000 now, so I figured that there was room to work on starting salary. The program also offers a raise every 6 months during those 2 years of up to 7 percent depending on performance. I interviewed, thought I did fairly well, and apparently I did because I got an offer from an HR person in DC a few days later...at $53,000. That's actually less than what I started at in my current job out of graduate school.

I'm now wondering if HR just offered the same salary to every person without adjusting for experience or education. I plan to respond on Monday asking if the starting salary is negotiable and laying out how I more than meet the job requirements. The government is odd about negotiation (frequently it's not possible), but it does happen. I've heard of people being hired on under the GS system at Step 10 of a pay grade because they made more in a previous job. It seems like the whole point of a pay band system is to have more flexibility.

Does anyone have advice as to how to phrase this? Part of me has the naive hope that this HR being stupid. If they refuse to budge, I'm going to turn it down and keep looking. I guess I'm disappointed, this job genuinely seems like it could be interesting.
Most federal agencies that use the pay band system have criteria for scoring pay within a band for a new hire. You might have better luck if you asked them how they scored your previous federal service and your Masters degree. If they didn't mark them as applicable and you feel they are, you can go back and get a significantly higher offer. In general, everything in the Required and Desired headings of the job posting are worth points so long as you have documented performance accomplishing them. More points relative to the job posting (not other applicants) translates to higher pay within the band.

more friedman units
Jul 7, 2010

The next six months will be critical.
Okay, that's interesting to know. The posting had surprisingly low requirements (BA with Superior Academic Achievement/BA and 1 year graduate education/combination of education and experience) considering that during the interview it sounded like it was common for people in the program to have a graduate degree.

I guess I'll ask if the starting salary is negotiable and whether they scored my MA and experience. Thanks!

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Kalenn Istarion posted:

Not being employed for life is one thing. Someone seen as a job hopper because they never stick around is totally different. It costs a great deal of time and money to train someone into a new company's systems and culture, regardless of the experience they come in with. If a company can't count on you being around long enough to actually see the benefits of that training they won't bother. There are industries for which it is more acceptable than others, but it certainly bears being cautious.

Would rather candidate A who doesn't have the skillset for all the job requirements but worked for a long time at the previous company?

Or would rather higher candidate B who matches all the requirements because he worked at multiple companies and also avoided career stagnation?

Job hopping is only bad IMO if you don't have the improved skillset, experience or glowing references to show for it.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/learnvest/2013/05/09/are-you-a-serial-job-hopper/

asur
Dec 28, 2012

etalian posted:

Would rather candidate A who doesn't have the skillset for all the job requirements but worked for a long time at the previous company?

Or would rather higher candidate B who matches all the requirements because he worked at multiple companies and also avoided career stagnation?

Job hopping is only bad IMO if you don't have the improved skillset, experience or glowing references to show for it.

I like how you link an article where third paragraph says that 40% of employers regard job hopping as the single biggest obstacle for job seekers and every single story they give agrees with that.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

etalian posted:

If the former demonstrated that he would quickly learn the missing skills and then be around to contribute them for 10 years, instead of B who might come in hot but not go anywhere and be gone in a year? I'd take A every time.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

asur posted:

I like how you link an article where third paragraph says that 40% of employers regard job hopping as the single biggest obstacle for job seekers and every single story they give agrees with that.

I think it depends on what you mean by job hopping. A lot of those case studies were talking about people averaging 2 jobs a year, which I would also consider a bad sign. If you change jobs every 2-4 years then that's a lot different than having three entries for 2012.

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

Yeah, in today's economy with real raises basically a thing of the past, you're generally doing yourself a disservice if you stick around in any job for more than a few years. I don't like the idea of job hopping anymore than anyone else, but sticking around for an extended time with a 2 percent a year raise that barely tracks inflation is a mug's game.

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.

Hollis Brown posted:

It's going to be in Schenectady. I am sick to death of apartments noise and want a garage for the winter so I am looking at more expensive options like a rental house.
I grew up in the area (East Postenkill, so super rural, but near Schenectady) so I feel pretty confident saying the following:

You'll do plenty fine on $68k there.
You won't be stuck only making $68k the entire time.
Put several generous line items in your budget for keeping warm. You have no clue what you're in for from Texas.

You are in a situation where renegotiation is a bad idea as everyone else has told you, and that's not a bad starting salary for Upstate New York after getting an MS.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW
I'm in the preliminary stages of this, but would like to hear your guys opinion on this. My current company is basically splitting in half and the offshoot is looking for me to be a part time controller of sorts. The initial setup will be a pain, but afterwards it shouldn't average much more than 10-15 hours a week based on how I work. They wanted to know how much I would want compensation wise for this. They aren't asking as a negotiating strong point I'm pretty sure, because they have pretty much no clue are scrambling to get this together. I'm thinking of throwing out $40000 through January, and we can go from there. I would really like this position, because while it will be a lot of work I would be creating an accounting system from scratch and will jump up career wise a couple of years since I will be managing a person or two. Does this sound like a reasonable rate? I figure a consultant coming in would be like 20,000 and then they'd have to find someone new that they would have to trust.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

I doubt this will take off but pretty interesting article on a company where everyone knows all the salaries.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/money/2014/07/02/327758712/the-company-where-everyone-knows-everyone-elses-salary

Komputernauta
May 16, 2006

I just got a job offer. They are offering 28000GBP. I'm gonna ask for something like 32k. The job was advertised as permanent, but in the offer email they said:

quote:

I would like to highlight that due to a shift in workload and after a review of current resource, the role has been changed to a 12 month fixed term contract. I hope this will be ok with you and you would still be happy to consider.

What does this mean for me? Is it likely that it can later evolve into a permanent contract?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Everything's possible, what it means is that they only guarantee your employment for 12 months.

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.

Komputernauta posted:

I just got a job offer. They are offering 28000GBP. I'm gonna ask for something like 32k. The job was advertised as permanent, but in the offer email they said:

What does this mean for me? Is it likely that it can later evolve into a permanent contract?

FrozenVent posted:

Everything's possible, what it means is that they only guarantee your employment for 12 months.

Specifically, they're trying to get contractor work and liability at a full time salary rate. If you've got a contract for 12 months, then you have more risk in the case that at the end of 12 months you're out of work. You should charge them for that risk. Ask for more money, and tell them you're willing to renegotiate for a lower figure if they're willing to bring you on as a FTE.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Dwight Eisenhower posted:

Specifically, they're trying to get contractor work and liability at a full time salary rate. If you've got a contract for 12 months, then you have more risk in the case that at the end of 12 months you're out of work. You should charge them for that risk. Ask for more money, and tell them you're willing to renegotiate for a lower figure if they're willing to bring you on as a FTE.

You should also confirm whether or not you will receive the same benefits while on contract. If not, then your compensation should account for this as well.

Not Grover
Nov 6, 2007
Just posting a bit of an update: I'm 3 weeks into the new job, and liking the work. The hospital administrator never emailed me back a response, and then went on vacation, and then I got my first paycheck. I was offered 11 initially, asked for 13, and got 12. That, along with just having this first foot in the door, is a victory, even though I'm still underpaid. What's actually frustrating about it is the non-communication route he took in dealing with the situation. In any case, like I said previously, my aim is now set on passing my boards (a week from now!) and just knocking it out of the park at work, which seems to be going very well. Even as an entry level Vet Tech, I (and my coworkers) are noticing that many of my technical skills are already at a level that's better than more experienced techs in the practice. Thanks again, thread! I'm sure I'll be posting again come review time.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
A friend of mine got offered a job where I am and I told him to ask for more money and they countered with an amount in between their initial offer and his counteroffer.

The system works.

corkskroo
Sep 10, 2004

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

A friend of mine got offered a job where I am and I told him to ask for more money and they countered with an amount in between their initial offer and his counteroffer.

The system works.

"Hello dear sir, may I have some more money, please."

"Why sure young goon, here is more money for you."

"Thank you so very much."

"Think nothing of it, we're very pleased to give it to you."

Appachai
Jul 6, 2011

Just tried to negotiate a job offer and the HR said they didn't care about my extra experience or skills. :allears:

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Appachai posted:

Just tried to negotiate a job offer and the HR said they didn't care about my extra experience or skills. :allears:

Lol. More details please.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Appachai posted:

My response would be very short and direct at that point... But that's just me. Curious how it played out after that.

Appachai
Jul 6, 2011

tesilential posted:

Lol. More details please.

This is for a position as one of the two PhD level positions at a startup that was recently purchased by a giant Swiss pharmaceutical company. I interviewed 4 times, 1 30 minute phone interview, 1 2 hour phone interview, 1 on site 7 hour interview with a 1 hour lecture, and 1 on site with the C-suite for 3 hours. I live in LA and drove to San Francisco for the on-sites, they didn't reimburse me or pay for a hotel. I'm interested in the place because they have a kind of novel idea that could have a pretty big impact on how medicine is practiced.

My other interviews at top 10 big pharmas usually included them paying for a flight, hotel, etc. This place gave me 24 hours notice for the on site interviews.

The COO called me last week and said everyone was "super psyched" that I was interested and that they would love to have me. I asked her for some details on the position, for example what the title is, and she said she wasn't sure, but that a HR person would call me this week with the details.

I find out today what the title is, and they tell me the salary. A quick look up on glassdoor shows that the range for this position is about 30K, and their offer is the minimum. I say thanks for the offer, the company seems like a really great place, the work is interesting, etc, but I felt my skills and experience(read from the job description and gave examples of how my experience is in excess of their requirements) should merit offer +15K, which would put me in the middle of the 30K range, obviously. Her response:

"I agree that you do have skills and experience in excess of the job's requirements, but we're really just hiring this position as posted, so it doesn't really matter to us if you have more experience or skills"

so I reply " So you're saying you don't have flexibility on salary, are there any other areas where we could make an effort to meet in the middle with a relocation package, signing bonus, increased 401k match, or other non-salary compensation?"

Her reply "Well, this is our offer"

My reply: "I see, well, could you please send me the details of the package in writing to my email so that I can go over them?

No negotiating at all it seems. I think maybe I came off too eager with my responses to their 24hr notice interviews?

OldHansMoleman
Jan 4, 2004
I Hate Myself
You're a PhD in what I assume is some sort of hard science and they offered you 30k to live in San Francisco? I don't understand what is going on, did you forget a 0?

Appachai
Jul 6, 2011

OldHansMoleman posted:

You're a PhD in what I assume is some sort of hard science and they offered you 30k to live in San Francisco? I don't understand what is going on, did you forget a 0?

No, the range of salaries on several sites was
min- their offer
max- their offer +30K

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

Appachai posted:

My reply: "I see, well, could you please send me the details of the package in writing to my email so that I can go over them?

No negotiating at all it seems. I think maybe I came off too eager with my responses to their 24hr notice interviews?

No, although I would have said thanks for your time, but that's not an acceptable offer if I were you. It seems like either the start-up has no budget to spend (seems unlikely if they just got bought out) or the HR person is an idiot. Unless the offer is really generous, they shouldn't be hiring for a PhD and not be willing to negotiate.

Appachai
Jul 6, 2011

I'm wondering if this means that the market is that saturated in SF.

EDIT: Remembered another gem. I asked about an ESPP (Employee stock purchase program), the HR manager told me that I can buy stock since the company is publicly traded :aaaaa:

Appachai fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Jul 29, 2014

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Yep, you're dealing with an idiot.

There is a correlation at how bad an organization is at hiring and how bad it treats it's employees. Unless you're desperate for the job, you should seriously consider staying away. Do not consider anything they say to be representative of the market as a whole.

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

FrozenVent posted:

Yep, you're dealing with an idiot.

There is a correlation at how bad an organization is at hiring and how bad it treats it's employees. Unless you're desperate for the job, you should seriously consider staying away. Do not consider anything they say to be representative of the market as a whole.

QFT

Also you failed to seize on an opportunity to wield good negotiating posture. Your posture will have significant consequences on how much the party you are negotiating with flexes. Consider the pressure the HR manager feels between:

"That offer is unacceptable, and you are unwilling to negotiate. Thank you for your time."

vs

"Please send me the full details of what you are offering in writing."

asur
Dec 28, 2012
Maybe someone else can chime in here as this may be bad advice, but I think I would send an email to the HR person saying that the offer is not acceptable and the follow up with the COO. You don't have anything to lose by talking to them and they specifically said they wanted you. I've yet to see a company where high level executives can't override an HR decision if they choose to. Of course, you may want to consider what the lowball offer means in terms of raises and working conditions, but I don't really see a downside to at least following up.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Ok, phew, that still sounds like their HR person is a knob and their hiring practices leave something to be desired, but your original post's wording made it sound like they were offering you 30k/yr salary for a PhD pharma position in SF which is just criminal.

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

That just sets off warning bells all around — that is not the first impression you want to make on a prospect for a job that's non-trivial to fill. Either your recruiter is completely incompetent, in which case I question management's judgment given how central a challenge hiring is in the Silicon Valley, or recruiting is under unusual pressure to lowball, which doesn't speak well of the company's commitment to its workers or the strength of its talent pool.

Appachai
Jul 6, 2011

Guinness posted:

Ok, phew, that still sounds like their HR person is a knob and their hiring practices leave something to be desired, but your original post's wording made it sound like they were offering you 30k/yr salary for a PhD pharma position in SF which is just criminal.

Sorry, as I said before, the range between the minimum and maximum salaries on some salary websites was 30K, they are not offering my 30K, that's below the NIH mandated minimum postdoc salary(though not by that much). I totally agree regarding this being a bad sign. I was pretty excited about the company and the position before they told me the salary and wouldn't even budge on a relocation package. I worked for a tiny startup in Seattle that at least gave me a relocation package.

Appachai fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Jul 29, 2014

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Yeah, gently caress these guys.

In other news, when considering a job offer, how should one assess the value of the employer having a defined benefit pension?

swenblack
Jan 14, 2004

FrozenVent posted:

In other news, when considering a job offer, how should one assess the value of the employer having a defined benefit pension?
That's an extremely complex question. How long does it take to get vested? How big is the company? How long are they likely to remain a solvent company? What is the regulatory environment in your state? How likely are you to want to work for that company for your entire career?

I personally believe defined contribution plans are more beneficial to a majority of private sector employees, based on the observation that our economy has fundamentally shifted towards more flexibility for both employers and employees in the work force. This isn't a political statement, rather an acknowledgement of our current situation.

swenblack
Jan 14, 2004

Dwight Eisenhower posted:

QFT

Also you failed to seize on an opportunity to wield good negotiating posture. Your posture will have significant consequences on how much the party you are negotiating with flexes. Consider the pressure the HR manager feels between:

"That offer is unacceptable, and you are unwilling to negotiate. Thank you for your time."

vs

"Please send me the full details of what you are offering in writing."
I also agree that the way Appachai is being treated is reflective of the corporate culture. I'm going to disagree, though, that taking a hard line with HR is an effective course of action. In my experience, when HR takes a hard line, it's because they aren't authorized to modify the terms of the offer. In that light, being polite and non-committal is actually the best course of action. Until they have a written counter-offer or rejection, their hands are tied. And you shouldn't respond to a verbal offer with a written counter, so asking for a written offer is probably what I would have done in the situation. Although, I wouldn't have tried negotiating with HR verbally. Not that Appachai did anything wrong, I just think it's a waste of time.

In these circumstances, I am constantly evaluating whether the person I'm negotiating with is empowered to modify the terms of the offer.

swenblack
Jan 14, 2004

asur posted:

Maybe someone else can chime in here as this may be bad advice, but I think I would send an email to the HR person saying that the offer is not acceptable and the follow up with the COO. You don't have anything to lose by talking to them and they specifically said they wanted you. I've yet to see a company where high level executives can't override an HR decision if they choose to. Of course, you may want to consider what the lowball offer means in terms of raises and working conditions, but I don't really see a downside to at least following up.
I'd only escalate if it was an impasse. HR only demonstrated an unwillingness to negotiate verbally, so I don't think it's necessary yet. If Appachai gets nowhere with negotiating via written counteroffers, than escalating is better than walking away.

In my experience however, a written rejection of an offer from a Ph.D. level candidate gets elevated to the COO immediately, so a direct appeal to the COO isn't necessary.

Appachai
Jul 6, 2011

Just an update: I talked to the COO on the phone about the offer. She said that due to the corporate guidelines she couldn't change the salary, but she had some leeway in other areas. She gave me a 10K signing bonus. I think you guys are right about not negotiating with HR. The HR person probably didn't have the authority to change anything.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Appachai posted:

I'm wondering if this means that the market is that saturated in SF.

EDIT: Remembered another gem. I asked about an ESPP (Employee stock purchase program), the HR manager told me that I can buy stock since the company is publicly traded :aaaaa:

Sounds like start-up problems. I'm coming to this late but did you consider reverting to the COO? He'd probably be more commercially minded than the HR person.

Fakeedit: and you did this, which I think is right. A lot of the behaviour really sounds to me like it's just a developing HR function. You mentioned that they're new, so they're going to take a while to figure out how not to gently caress stuff like this up. You should consider asking for increased bonus potential or equity participation (options, whatever) as a way to make up for the lower starting salary.

FrozenVent posted:

There are pension value calculators available on the net. I forget what a good one is but they should allow you to punch in your assumptions for all the factors that swenblack noted. Other factors which impact your pension value are: time to retirement, life expectancy, salary trajectory, tax laws in your state, and the specific terms of the plan like when does it vest, what are the reductions for early retirement, etc etc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Appachai posted:

Just an update: I talked to the COO on the phone about the offer. She said that due to the corporate guidelines she couldn't change the salary, but she had some leeway in other areas. She gave me a 10K signing bonus. I think you guys are right about not negotiating with HR. The HR person probably didn't have the authority to change anything.

So in your first year your compensation is $5k under the median of the market, and $20k under the top end.

In every year after that your (agreed upon, expected) compensation is $15k under the median of the market, and $30k under the top end.

Are you unemployed, or really hate where you work?

• Locked thread