Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
Compressed air and a damp sponge? Youre not going to hurt it.

Definitely put fresh strings on it. If you need help with bridge setting, post up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer
Just checking since I have ruined things before with cleaners. I'll post a photo tonight to see if anyone has more advice.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Sorry for the double post but here are the photos I promised of the banjo.

I guess it says Made in Germany? but I don't know if that indicative of anything since you can stamp whatever you like on whatever you want.
Still couldn't find a serial number.

Here you can see the bolt that holds the resonator on the back.

Like I said dusty with some corrosion on the metal bits from its time in the attic, I did clean out the spiders and what not but waited for more info before giving it a good rub down. Though I will still have to take the new strings back off to wipe it down better ( I wanted to see how it sounded so I jumped the gun a bit). That's okay though it'll give me more practice stringing it without stabbing my fingers.

djinndarc
Dec 20, 2012

"I'm Bender, baby, please insert liquor!"
Oh wow. I'm not an expert, and you might want to post those pics on the Banjo hangout, but that might be a vintage Hofner. The fact that it is made on Germany (not somewhere in Asia), plus the pie pan resonator (the kind with just one screw on the back instead of four on the front) makes me think so. What I said about hand tightening the screws might now apply with the pie pan resonator.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Ok I will try to get them up over there sometime. I'd like to learn to play it so it can't hurt to start watching that forum. Yeah its a bit dinged up but it appears to all be in place, from what I see its mostly cosmetic stuff.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

So I got angry and fractured/jammed my pinky real good and figured it's a good time to stop trying to be Django on the guitar and spend some time with the banjo again. I've missed it lately and haven't played much since I got my mute (hooray for being able to practice quietly and get the side bonus of a nice warm tone). Anyway, it's a cheap Rover 5 string banjo and I'd like to figure out two things. One, how to setup a banjo, and two, a good list of chords I can do with 2 left hand fingers. 3 would be alright as long as there's not a lot of stress on my pinky. Thanks!

edit+update: I've been having a ton of fun and have made a lot of progress this week. I picked up one of Wayne Erbsen's book and besides the goofy cover and comic sans everywhere it's one of the best music books I've bought. I love his style of giving you a melody and making you fill in the rest. It's such a cool creative way to teach the banjo. Today I'm thinking of trying out some old time/clawhammer stuff. The technique is completely foreign to me, actually much harder than Scruggs bluegrass style but I'll get the hang of it. I still don't know what kind of banjo playing I like most so I'm going to try every direction I can. They're all enjoyable so it's worth it.

Question about my setup. My 1st string has some odd sympathetic tones that persist after muting the string. They seem to be coming from the head. Is this an easy fix?

I wish this thread was more active by the way. I'm having a great resonating happiness with the banjo lately and I'd love to chat about it in general. There's just something about this instrument that really hits me on every physical, mental, and emotional level.

Kilometers Davis fucked around with this message at 11:58 on Jul 27, 2014

quadrophrenic
Feb 4, 2011

WIN MARNIE WIN
Clawhammer question:

Been frailing for only a couple of weeks now, and I'm wondering how long you should grow your fingernails, or if growing fingernails is really essential. I frail with my middle finger (My accuracy is better with the index, but the index feels weird to me, and I figure accuracy can be improved) and I'm a nailbiter, but I've stopped biting my middle nail so I can frail with it. I have probably 1mm of nail, well below the tip of my finger, and I have an extremely hard time sounding melodies on individual strings. Even when my accuracy is dead on, at best I'll get a lot of cluck and at worst I'll just sound a completely dead note.

I have no problem waiting for my middle finger to grow out, but it's kinda frustrating right now. I only ask because I heard that there's some people who frail with really short nails, and I don't see how that's even possible, if it's just a training issue or like the angle of attack or what.

SecretSquirrel
Jun 3, 2003

Masticator

I found a guy who made clawhammer picks out of ping pong balls here http://www.banjohangout.org/blog/30790 . I made myself a couple after I broke my banjoin' nail and keep a master pattern around safe somewhere in case I break my nail again.

djinndarc
Dec 20, 2012

I have heard some guys on the Banjo Hangout saying that they prefer a short nail, or in some cases, to have zero growth of nail when they play). I could never get it to work for me. I have to have a decent length of nail to get any kind of good sound personally.

I generally try the following:

1) Learn to frail with both your index and middle finger equally. Worst case scenario, when your nail breaks or is short, you can use the other finger. Best case scenario, you can get some subtle difference in tone and sound using the different fingers (my middle finger gives a mellow, plunkier sound, but my index gives more volume).
2) Take biotin supplements (vitamins) and also apply Mane n' Tail Hoofmaker to your nails. Both of these will help strengthen your nails, so they are less likely to break and also make them grow faster.
3) Try Fred Kelly Freedom picks. I have always been skeptical of "frailing picks". Generally speaking they don't work, they don't fit right, they don't stay on tight, they make playing feel awkward, and they don't give good sound...until I tried the Fred Kelly Picks. It takes a little getting used to (like a few minutes or a practice session), but then it basically feels like you are playing your own finger and nail. You can sometimes even forget that you have them on. They are a bit pricey (I think $4-5 each?) and you have to be careful with sizing (for example, my index and middle fingers use different sizes). If you can find a place that will let you try them on or that will let you exchange if it is the wrong size, I highly highly recommend these.

djinndarc fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Jul 31, 2014

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

SecretSquirrel posted:

I found a guy who made clawhammer picks out of ping pong balls here http://www.banjohangout.org/blog/30790 . I made myself a couple after I broke my banjoin' nail and keep a master pattern around safe somewhere in case I break my nail again.

This is what I've been using to learn clawhammer. I hate long nails and using a short nail + skin is weird. I made a few and while my design isn't perfect it works great and feels completely natural. I was planning on driving to a sporting goods place and buying some good class 3 balls since these cheap ones are flimsy and not durable. So yep, to my unrefined ears it works out great and the DIY/ugliness really gets you in the old-time mood. It feels and looks right.

I am going to order some of those Fred Kelly picks though. If they fit right then I can't imagine needing anything else.

PoorPeteBest
Oct 13, 2005

We're not hitchhiking anymore! We're riding!
It's possible to pick without a nail but I can't get very good volume out of it. Personally, I get the best tone with about an 1/8th inch grown out. Past that my accuracy diminishes and the nail is more prone to breaking. I prefer my natural nail because I can feel my way around as I play.

When my nail breaks I use a plastic finger pick as an alternative:

http://www.jimdunlop.com/product/shell-plastic-fingerpicks

I put these on upside down and trim off the tip using regular nail clippers. These give me a pretty reliable approximation of what I get out of my nail although none of the sensitivity.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Kilometers Davis posted:

I am going to order some of those Fred Kelly picks though. If they fit right then I can't imagine needing anything else.

Got three of these in large. I like 'em I guess. They slide up on my finger a bit but they stay on. They produce a nice warm plunky sound which could be a good or bad thing for you. Definitely worth a try if you're looking for an alternative to using your nail or cutting up ping pong balls.

I'm thinking about upgrading from my Rover RB20 to a RK-R35 or 36. After a ton of research it seems like it's one if the best banjos for the money. The demos on YouTube sound amazing and I love the look of them. Does anyone care to weigh in on maple vs mahogany for a banjo? I'm assuming the maple sounds brighter and has a harder attack and the mahogany has warmth and more mid range complexity. Would the maple provide for a harder more sturdy neck? One of my main problems with my Rover is how just holding the neck/letting it hang in different ways causes the tuning to go sharp or flat even though I have a light touch. It's frustrating. Any comments on the two Recording Kings I picked out would be appreciated too.

PoorPeteBest
Oct 13, 2005

Kilometers Davis posted:

Got three of these in large. I like 'em I guess. They slide up on my finger a bit but they stay on. They produce a nice warm plunky sound which could be a good or bad thing for you. Definitely worth a try if you're looking for an alternative to using your nail or cutting up ping pong balls.

I'm thinking about upgrading from my Rover RB20 to a RK-R35 or 36. After a ton of research it seems like it's one if the best banjos for the money. The demos on YouTube sound amazing and I love the look of them. Does anyone care to weigh in on maple vs mahogany for a banjo? I'm assuming the maple sounds brighter and has a harder attack and the mahogany has warmth and more mid range complexity. Would the maple provide for a harder more sturdy neck? One of my main problems with my Rover is how just holding the neck/letting it hang in different ways causes the tuning to go sharp or flat even though I have a light touch. It's frustrating. Any comments on the two Recording Kings I picked out would be appreciated too.

Those Recording Kings are nice but for the same price you can find a used Bart Reiter or Mark Ramsey open back. Not sure if you're planing on using it for three finger as well but both of those makers produce very fine clawhammer banjos.

Wood is only one of many components that affect the banjo tone. I've heard very bright and very muddy maple banjos. You have to factor in head tension/material, bridge material, tone ring, tail piece and so on. The only way to know for sure is to play it.

If the neck has a truss rod in it the material it is made from matters less and less although maple is traditionally considered to be more stable. You might have a loose coordinator rod on your Rover that is causing it to change pitch, even a non-reinforced neck should be able to withstand regular handling.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

PoorPeteBest posted:

Those Recording Kings are nice but for the same price you can find a used Bart Reiter or Mark Ramsey open back. Not sure if you're planing on using it for three finger as well but both of those makers produce very fine clawhammer banjos.

Wood is only one of many components that affect the banjo tone. I've heard very bright and very muddy maple banjos. You have to factor in head tension/material, bridge material, tone ring, tail piece and so on. The only way to know for sure is to play it.

If the neck has a truss rod in it the material it is made from matters less and less although maple is traditionally considered to be more stable. You might have a loose coordinator rod on your Rover that is causing it to change pitch, even a non-reinforced neck should be able to withstand regular handling.

Those look lovely but I'm definitely going for a resonator. Clawhammer has been a really great experience but 3 finger is my thing. It's my favorite physical feel of playing on any instrument and even though I'm going to practice both styles it's my #1. Having the big round smooth body should be more comfortable too.

Good point actually. At this point I'll probably end up just picking based on what wood sounds good to me. I don't think I've heard a banjo I don't like in some capacity really so I'm not too concerned.

How could I check the coordinator rod? I've never adjusted the truss rod on this banjo and surprisingly enough it has never buzzed or anything. The action has been great since I got it somehow. It doesn't vary that much honestly but I have a sensitive enough ear to notice it going flat or sharp just enough. That aside I've honestly come to really enjoy this Rover. It's not a great instrument but I could have started playing on something much worse.

PoorPeteBest
Oct 13, 2005

First make sure it isn't just your fingers pulling the strings off pitch as you fret. Banjo strings have a lot more play in them and can be easily (and awesomely) bent with your fretting hand.

If the coordinator rod is loose you should be able to manually turn the hardware. If everything is tight a loose neck is likely not your problem. You can use a wrench to further adjust the hardware but be careful. These are meant to provide some neck stability and allow you to adjust the neck angle. Overdoing it will significantly change the action on your instrument. Here is an excellent tutorial on coordinator rods:

http://www.frets.com/FretsPages/Musician/Banjo/CoordRods/coordrod4.html

Another thing to consider is the tightness of your banjo head. If the head flexes when you push on it, your bridge will move slightly up and down which will change the pitch.

PoorPeteBest fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Aug 5, 2014

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

PoorPeteBest posted:

First make sure it isn't just your fingers pulling the strings off pitch as you fret. Banjo strings have a lot more play in them and can be easily (and awesomely) bent with your fretting hand.

If the coordinator rod is loose you should be able to manually turn the hardware. If everything is tight a loose neck is likely not your problem. You can use a wrench to further adjust the hardware but be careful. These are meant to provide some neck stability and allow you to adjust the neck angle. Overdoing it will significantly change the action on your instrument. Here is an excellent tutorial on coordinator rods:

http://www.frets.com/FretsPages/Musician/Banjo/CoordRods/coordrod4.html

Another thing to consider is the tightness of your banjo head. If the head flexes when you push on it, your bridge will move slightly up and down which will change the pitch.

It's not that from what I can tell, if anything I've got really solid fret hand control. I try to use a light very deliberate touch at all times.

Later or tomorrow I'll do my homework on this and get to inspecting everything on the banjo. To be fair it hasn't been adjusted since I bought it aside from finger tightening a few things. The head is a little loose feeling but I've never even touched another banjo so it's hard to compare. It's a shame I don't have a drum dial around somewhere.

Thanks for the help man. Banjos are much more complex than most people including myself seem to think. It's going to be a fun learning experience at least. This seems like a perfect opportunity to get my hands in everywhere and learn how to do my own setup before I upgrade.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer
So I finally really got settled with my banjo with the bridge in the right place and the strings holding a friggin note for longer than one session....and now the edge of my head being torn is beginning to annoy me. Should I care at all or just say gently caress it, its playing nice?

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
I think its probably a matter of how much tone means to you. If it sounds ok and plays ok, you don't have to immediately replace the head. As far as I'm aware, though, the head has to be at a certain tension (G sharp maybe?) to optimize how the banjo resonates. As well, since the bridge rests on the head, which is not anchored into wood. If the head is starting to tear, this may have been the reason why your bridge settings were finiky. If you have the means to get the banjo head replaced, I would go ahead and do it and just get it set up and done with.

my back pages
Jun 23, 2009
I'm not sure if this is the right thread but I figured y'all would know best. I've been a huge fan of this one band for ages. The frontman plays a banjola. I've always adored the sound but had the opportunity to see them live for the first time last week and man, I'm definitely in love with that banjola sound. Does anyone have experience with banjolas? Are there good brands? I see gold tone makes two version of the banjola and they're a solid banjo maker but I've not heard much about their banjolas. If I look up banjola videos on youtube, I notice some of them have a much higher/twangier/sharpersharper sound than the deeper banjolas I've heard play.

Obligatory youtube banjola video, pretty much my ideal purchase: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2e3vLaHt7yY

Could someone shine some light on this banjola business for this newb?

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

my back pages posted:

I'm not sure if this is the right thread but I figured y'all would know best. I've been a huge fan of this one band for ages. The frontman plays a banjola. I've always adored the sound but had the opportunity to see them live for the first time last week and man, I'm definitely in love with that banjola sound. Does anyone have experience with banjolas? Are there good brands? I see gold tone makes two version of the banjola and they're a solid banjo maker but I've not heard much about their banjolas. If I look up banjola videos on youtube, I notice some of them have a much higher/twangier/sharpersharper sound than the deeper banjolas I've heard play.

Obligatory youtube banjola video, pretty much my ideal purchase: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2e3vLaHt7yY

Could someone shine some light on this banjola business for this newb?

Just for context, MBP is talking about instruments that have the string settup of a 5-string banjo, but a wooden body rather than a tensioned head:

So far as affordable models, Gold Tone is one of the few companies making purpose-built banjolas under that name. That said, there a are a number of makers who make a "wood top banjo", often quite cheaper than the GT. Not quite the same thing in that they don't have a harder wood back and a front soundhole, but at least might have a wooden top that produces a different tone from the skin heads. Backyard Music in particular has some affordable kits: http://www.backyardmusic.com/Banjos.html

If your budget is in the middle $500ish area, a Gold Tone is probably your best bet. If cheaper, you're looking at inexpensive wood-top banjo kits, if higher you're looking at full custom in the $1k+ range. So odds are your budget falls into one of those categories.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Forgive me if this is the wrong thread to post in, but I thought it was best.

Not a banjo question but a Mandolin question. Can anyone give me some tips on how to improvise solos when you're jamming bluegrass with a banjo/guitar? I have no idea how to just make things up on the spot and am looking for some help.

djinndarc
Dec 20, 2012

Kvlt! posted:

Not a banjo question but a Mandolin question. Can anyone give me some tips on how to improvise solos when you're jamming bluegrass with a banjo/guitar? I have no idea how to just make things up on the spot and am looking for some help.

One of the easiest ways to get into improving is to practice and memorize scales. Not just major scales, but pentatonic and "blues" scales are great for old time and bluegrass. When you play the song, if you use notes from the scales or some arpeggios, you probably want hit any "bad notes" and it will sound ok. As you play the mandolin more and develop your ear, you might try working in variations on the melody. These are just some basic improv ideas. Probably somebody more talented or knowledgeable than I can give you some more ideas or techniques.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Kvlt! posted:

Not to be always plugging Niles' stuff, but Pentatonic Mandolin might be well worth dropping $20 on to get some insight into forming bluegrass melodic rifts. I just find the man's work to be genius overall. If you order it, from a dealer or from his own site, spend $5 to get his mando chordbook too.

http://www.mandolin.myzen.co.uk/hokkanen.html

Dukes Mayo Clinic
Aug 31, 2009
Play the vocal melody.

Play four bars of the melody, then play the next four bars differently. Repeat until done.

Play like what the last guy played, except entirely the opposite in one of: volume, density of notes, tonality.

Play your solo with chords or parts of chords.

Play a one-note solo. Vary timbre, volume, and rhythm, but play one note.

There's good reason people write books on improvisation. The more you do it, the more it makes sense.

e: and furthermore,

Dukes Mayo Clinic fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Dec 11, 2014

Hillridge
Aug 3, 2004

WWheeeeeee!
My girlfriend got me a used Fender FB-54 for Christmas, and I'm already having a great time learning rolls and such. I used to play classical guitar 15-some years ago, and have always been a fan of banjo, so I'm picking (:haw:) it up somewhat quickly. It's been so long, that I'm still basically starting from scratch though. One of the reasons I fell out of playing the guitar is that I badly broke the pinky on my left hand and can now only move the large knuckle. The rest of it is pretty much stuck in a slight bend like what happens if you just relax your hands. I can do some fret work with it, but not a lot. How much is this going to hinder me once I start learning more complex chords and melodies? Would it be worth trying to learn how to play left handed instead?

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
Your left hand pinky injury won't be of much a problem at the start, at least to the extent to where you'd have to learn to play with the other hand. Once and if you get into melodic banjo playing, you may need the pinky to reach some positions, but even intermediate melodic playing can be done without the pinky.

Thinking through it a bit, If you're doing Scruggs playing, you will encounter difficulty adding a 7th, as the seventh is added with the pinky. Take the C7 chord on the first and second frets, or the same chord at the next position up, where you fret a standard C "bar" chord at the fifth fret. In both of these, you add the 7th with your pinky. The addition of the 7th adds a little tension before you resolve back to, say, G, but it's not a dealbreaker. You'll figure it out, I dont think either of those positions require a whole lot of finesse. An example of the use of this chord would be "Shuckin the Corn"

Jerry Garcia lost half of his middle finger at the knuckle on the right hand, and this didn't stop him from being a notable banjo player! If he can get through that, I'm sure you can get around a busted pinky on the left and still get to where you want to be with the instrument.

It depends on what chords you are playing, but if you're already used to classical guitar playing, I don't think you'll have to stretch nearly as much with your pinky as in classical guitar. Neck is a lot narrower than a classical guitar, too.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Good advice ^ and honestly, it's best to approach the banjo as it always has been. It's a laid back instrument. People have been playing it however they like in weird ways for as long as it's been around. As long as you can play comfortably and enjoy what you can play you're good. Think about depression era pickers and such who potentially had even worse injuries, possibly multiple fingers missing.

I actually picked up the banjo when I hurt my pinky and couldn't play guitar for a while. You could probably find my posts about it here. It made my days much more exciting and musical.

Slimchandi
May 13, 2005
That finger on your temple is the barrel of my raygun
Hello thread, long time musician discovering bluegrass here. I've got a ticket to see the Punch Brothers later this month and I'm stoked! I've played guitar for a long time, consider myself pretty capable, and learning mandolin.

There's a weekly bluegrass meetup near me which I want to go to, but I don't know the classic jam repertoire all that well. Should I take my guitar; is someone likely to have charts to follow? I have a strong ear for harmony, but don't want to be that guy who plays the wrong thing over every change.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
Haven't seen anyone chime in, so I will.

Nobody will have musical charts per se, but they might have some chords written down or song books. If you have an ear, you'll be fine. Songs tend to be in specific keys, but there are exceptions. Generally, you'll be able to figure out what key its in pretty quick. You can always just look at one of the other guitar players. Often times, larger jams will naturally segment themselves into beginner / intermediate / advanced groups. If you want, I can post our jam's song list here, but it's only a fraction of what you could possibly play. If you can strum along in G and A, you're fine. If you dont want to take a break (lead), just shake your head if the leader of the song looks at you to see if you want one.

You may want to take your mandolin along too to see if you can pick up any tips or something. They might even be lacking a mandolin player if one doesn't show up, and you can fill in to round out the sound. take your guitar though, and a capo, it's easier to follow along with a guitar, and sit across from a guitar player to see the chords.

Definitely ask people the name of the song if you hear a tune you like. That way you can go back home, look it up, and learn it. I did a lot of that when I started out.

Edit: What I mean by songs are in specific keys is that many instrumentals generally don't deviate from the key that they're most commonly played in regardless of where you go. Soldier's Joy is nearly always in D, Blackberry Blossom is always in G, and Cherokee Shuffle is in A. However, often times, the singer or leader of the song will choose a key that fits their voice if the song has singing. I've heard Peter Rowan do Walls of Time in C, but because my voice is better matched to it (and my band learned the Ricky Skaggs version), we play it in B. Chris at the jam likes to play Hobo Song in G, but I like it in A, because that's the way they did it on the album. There's some flexibility in keys, but most tunes are in G, A, C, D, Bflat. No weird rear end keys like F# usually.

Planet X fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Jan 6, 2015

Hillridge
Aug 3, 2004

WWheeeeeee!
Thanks for the replies. A place near my work was recommended to me by a few people, and I have a free intro lesson scheduled for today! My main goal is to be able to play with groups rather than just play songs, so I'm hoping he's good at teaching that angle.

Dielectric
May 3, 2010
My son is taking drum (set) lessons, and we just switched teachers. The new guy is teaching him basic rock patterns as opposed to the concert drumming at the last place, so during lessons he walks a chord on the bass. I don't have a bass, but I have a banjo! It turns out you have to play super loud next to a drum set but it's silly fun to just roll on some chords with someone. He's just starting out so it's all 4/4 for now, with me filling in the gaps. In theory it might help him listen for the base rhythm and drum on that, who knows.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Kvlt! posted:

One of the easiest ways is to learn pentatonic scales, specifically. Niles Hokkanen has two books you should get immediately: Bluegrass up the Neck and The Pentatonic Mandolin. Also consider video lessons with Mike Marshall via Acousticworks.

There was a comment last page about F vs A style mandolins: they sound the same if they are both f-hole. F-hole vs oval hole sound different but the only difference between F and A style mandolins is the expensive strap hanger.

laertes22 posted:

One of the easiest ways to get into improving is to practice and memorize scales. Not just major scales, but pentatonic and "blues" scales are great for old time and bluegrass. When you play the song, if you use notes from the scales or some arpeggios, you probably want hit any "bad notes" and it will sound ok. As you play the mandolin more and develop your ear, you might try working in variations on the melody. These are just some basic improv ideas. Probably somebody more talented or knowledgeable than I can give you some more ideas or techniques.
:fistbump:

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Not to be always plugging Niles' stuff, but Pentatonic Mandolin might be well worth dropping $20 on to get some insight into forming bluegrass melodic rifts. I just find the man's work to be genius overall. If you order it, from a dealer or from his own site, spend $5 to get his mando chordbook too.

http://www.mandolin.myzen.co.uk/hokkanen.html

OK so basically next time I read the entire thread before replying

Bilirubin fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Jan 15, 2015

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Slimchandi posted:

There's a weekly bluegrass meetup near me which I want to go to, but I don't know the classic jam repertoire all that well. Should I take my guitar; is someone likely to have charts to follow? I have a strong ear for harmony, but don't want to be that guy who plays the wrong thing over every change.

Get used to being that guy anyway, just part of the process. :)

For bluegrass what is important is to get the key of the song. The progressions are usually I-IV-V so with that basic information you can usually work things out with a single playthrough.

Jams usually love newbies so say you are new and someone will help you out on the side

e. sneak peak at the new Punch Brothers album on the NY Times. Its pretty amazing.
http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/arts/music/pressplay.html?_r=1&

Bilirubin fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jan 22, 2015

Slimchandi
May 13, 2005
Going to see them tonight!

Slimchandi
May 13, 2005
Spoiler: they were amazing!

http://youtu.be/joo34y_9pQ8

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Kind of an odd question here but does anyone know any slower more meditative banjo songs? I know it doesn't especially lend itself to them in popular bluegrass but I figured I would ask.

Dukes Mayo Clinic
Aug 31, 2009

ZeusCannon posted:

slower more meditative banjo songs?

Box Elder Beetles by Tom Adams comes to mind:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6I38a7LKi8

And plenty of old-time tunes can be played as such..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGjMw6Lnq8I

PoorPeteBest
Oct 13, 2005

Cold Frosty Morning comes to mind and is one of my favorites. A lot of stuff in sawmill timing fits that vibe (Shady Grove, etc)

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Thanks ill give those a try. Its dumb but lately I just haven't felt like pushing for those fast songs just wanted something mellow but since I'm still new to all this I dont know a lot of the go to songs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

ZeusCannon posted:

Thanks ill give those a try. Its dumb but lately I just haven't felt like pushing for those fast songs just wanted something mellow but since I'm still new to all this I dont know a lot of the go to songs.

Definitely take a look into old time clawhammer songs. There's a rich history of good slower songs with that meditative idea you mentioned. I love playing fast bluegrass and such but there's something really special about playing old songs and looking up their history. Banjo music is great for submerging yourself and getting a little taste of the past. It puts my mind in a nice place.

• Locked thread